[OB] the three godspren

NightFrost

4 hours ago, Nepene said:

I'm still leaning towards the third godspren being one that inhabited Urithiru and made the fabrials work and kept the unmade away, a fusion of honor and cultivation's power, and them dwelling somewhere near the Shin as the god of Stone Shamanism, a holy and magical stone spren. 

This ... makes a lot of sense. One of the Siblings was supposed to be sleeping, per the Stormfather. The tower would have been abandoned by the time of the Recreance, when there was only one Bondsmith.

There are two major potential problems. First, it is implied there were multiple Bondsmiths *after* the founding of the Knights Radiant, but before the tower was constructed. (Can anyone chime in with a WoB on how long this period was?) Second, the Tower is a constructed entity, which may result in a high order spren (like the oathgate spren), but seems unlikely for such a godlike spren at the same level as the Stormfather.

Thoughts? Either way, I look forward to seeing Dalinar supercharge that tower! :D

Edited by Strabe
Fix autocorrect.

7 minutes ago, Shoots said:

Speaking of the power level of the god spren compared to the likes of Cusicesh, do we know how the unmade compare in power? Are they equal to the godspren, in the same tier as Cusicesh, or in-between the two levels?

They're tough as we see in the books, but they're tougher than several weak radiants put together tough. They're bosses that Dalinar and co can defeat, not city wrecking monstrosities.

4 minutes ago, Strabe said:

This ... makes a lot of sense. One of the Siblings was supposed to be sleeping, per the Stormfather. The tower would have been abandoned by the time of the Recreance, when there was only one Bondsmith.

There are two major potential problems. First, it is implied there were multiple Bondsmiths *after* the founding of the Knights Radiant, but before the tower was constructed. (Can anyone chime in with a WoB on how long this period was?) Second, the Tower is a constructed entity, which may result in a high order spren (like the oathgate spren), but seems unlikely for such a godlike spren at the same level as the Stormfather.

Thoughts? Either way, I look forward to seeing Salinas supercharge that tower! :D

I imagine that the sibling was doing other things, and someone convinced them to help make Uri.

A mythical super city may not be enough to hold a godspren, but the mountain probably is.

3 minutes ago, Nepene said:

They're tough as we see in the books, but they're tougher than several weak radiants put together tough. They're bosses that Dalinar and co can defeat, not city wrecking monstrosities.

I imagine that the sibling was doing other things, and someone convinced them to help make Uri.

A mythical super city may not be enough to hold a godspren, but the mountain probably is.

That does sound reasonable. Guess we will have to RAFO.

Are we sure the thing in the highstorm is a spren?  Dalinar saw it too, as a youth outside in a highstorm.  Being outside in highstorms isn't unheard of for soldiers (per Kaladin).  So, probably lots of people see it.  We know the high storms are relevant to the lifecycles of shellbeasts like chulls and chasmfiends.  Could not the big thing in the high storm not be an impressive but natural creature?

Edited by Stairdweller

2 hours ago, Strabe said:

First, it is implied there were multiple Bondsmiths *after* the founding of the Knights Radiant, but before the tower was constructed.

One for Stormfather, one for Nightwatcher.

On Cusicesh.  Brandon's note that he is a step above Nahel-bond-capable spren, and step below Stormfather/Nigthwatcher who are Cognitive Shadows of Shards has me thinking.  Cusicesh looks like he is a Cognitive Shadow of something.  But this something is not a person or a singular entity. It certainly looks like this something is more of an event that left some number of people (faces Cusicesh shows) dead. Who are these people?  Maybe he is some sort of a Cognitive Shadow of some Knights Radiant massacre? Or one of Talanel's last stands? Or some version of Roshar Titanic?

Anyone willing to ask Brandon if Cusicesh is a Cognitive Shadow of an event from the past?

Edited by emailanimal

2 hours ago, Stairdweller said:

Are we sure the thing in the highstorm is a spren?  Dalinar saw it too, as a youth outside in a highstorm.  Being outside in highstorms isn't unheard of for soldiers (per Kaladin).  So, probably lots of people see it.  We know the high storms are relevant to the lifecycles of shellbeasts like chulls and chasmfiends.  Could not the big thing in the high storm not be an impressive but natural creature?

Here's the quote from Kaladin in WoR:

"Light came from above, too steady to be lightning. Something was glowing on the plateau. Something that moved. It was hard to see, since water streamed off the side of the plateau above, falling in a sheet before their refuge. He swore he saw an enormous figure walking up there, a glowing inhuman form, followed by another, alien and sleek. Striding the storm. Leg after leg, until the glow passed."

Here's the Dalinar quote from Oathbringer you mentioned:

"Dalinar glanced and saw something luminous in the distance: a gargantuan figure that moved on spindly glowing legs."

My guess is Dalinar saw the second of the two figures Kaladin mentions.

I want to say there might have been other sightings in the books, but I can't say for certain since I'm looking for times when the whole out-of-body thing isn't happening.

Regarding them being natural creatures, given that both Dalinar and Kaladin are both quite familiar with Chasmfiends as of the timeframe of the quotes, the descriptors seem to be pointing in another direction, at least in my opinion.  The association with glowing/stormlight makes me believe that we're seeing some sort of spren.

Edit: regarding the idea that lots of people see it since it isn't unheard of to get caught in a highstorm, I think it's interesting that people don't talk about it considering that their first thought would be that they saw the Stormfather himself, which I'm sure they'd be shouting about from the hilltops.  My first thought is that both of them were seeing partially into the cognitive realm at the time (Kaladin is bonded at that point, and Dalinar had at least one shard-related experience in his youth that we know of: the strange vision at the end of WoR with the 'light and warmth' that the Stormfather didn't send, in addition to the attention he'd been drawing from the Unmade/Odium).  

Edited by Calthrop

• Chaos locked this topic