[OB] Taln's Blade

ADIMORTIS

So I think I know who has Taln's blade.

Nalan. 

This is in Ch 106

Nin held out his empty left hand. A Shardblade appeared there, different and distinct from the Honorblade he carried in the other hand. “I am not only a Herald, but a Skybreaker of the Fifth Ideal. Though I was originally skeptical of the Radiants, I believe I am the only one who eventually joined his own order.

7 minutes ago, ADIMORTIS said:

So I think I know who has Taln's blade.

Nalan. 

This is in Ch 106

Nin held out his empty left hand. A Shardblade appeared there, different and distinct from the Honorblade he carried in the other hand. “I am not only a Herald, but a Skybreaker of the Fifth Ideal. Though I was originally skeptical of the Radiants, I believe I am the only one who eventually joined his own order.

I actually think what is happening there is that Nale, unlike the other Heralds, bonded a spren. He has a live sprenblade in addition to his honorblade.

3 minutes ago, Demandred said:

I actually think what is happening there is that Nale, unlike the other Heralds, bonded a spren. He has a live sprenblade in addition to his honorblade.

The reason I think it's an honorblade is that neither is it with the Ghostbloods nor with the Diagrammists, and so Nalan might just have taken it, on orders of Ishar

2 minutes ago, ADIMORTIS said:

Where does it say it's a spren? I don't remember. i read it too fast too remember the details.

16 minutes ago, Demandred said:

He summons the Blade then states that he's a Skybreaker of the 5th Ideal.  That's heavy inference that the blade is his spren from being a Skybreaker.

I think Hoid stole Taln's blade, and that's why he was hanging around.

Edited by RShara

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

He summons the Blade then states that he's a Skybreaker of the 5th Ideal.  That's heavy inference that the blade is his spren from being a Skybreaker.

I think Hoid stole Taln's blade, and that's why he was hanging around.

There's a WoB that Hoid did not steal the blade

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Oops, you're right.  Darn.  Then who the heck has it...?

I can't think of any good clues, something to keep an eye out for on a re-read perhaps.

Here is the WOB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/87-white-sand-vol1-release-party/#e5773

Notably he almost implies that Hoid took it but didn't keep it or at least he leaves that option open.

Could Hoid have taken it then given it to someone? Who would he have given it to?

Could he have taken it and then had it stolen from him? Is there anyone on Roshar who could successfully steal from Hoid?

Or did he just leave it there?

Who could have it:

1. One of the other Heralds?
  2. Someone working for Odium?
  3. Mr T?
  4. The Ghostbloods?
  5. The Sons of Honor?
  6. The Skybreakers?
  7. Preservation? (As she once had Nightblood - maybe she likes looking after invested swords...)

I genuinely can't think of any real clues to its whereabouts; something to look out for in a re-read perhaps.

Just now, RShara said:

Oops, you're right.  Darn.  Then who the heck has it...?

That's one of the many mysteries of the book :D. I tried to read Oathbringer while on the lookout for Taln's Honorblade, since I've been curious ever since we got this WoB that it was stolen, and also that the first two books did not contain enough information to figure out the culprit. However, in this book as well, either there were no hints, or they were too well hidden for me to figure out (which is more likely). There's apparently a WoB that says there are currently nine (!!) secret societies working, of which we know maybe.. 6 or 7?   So there's plenty of options available.

Interesting question - could Taln simply summon his blade? Is he still bonded? Did he dismiss it? Did Taln dismiss his blade, then Hoid put another blade there in order to hide the fact that he’s a herald (and thus blade-bonded but still darkeyed)? 

So many questions. 

1 minute ago, RShara said:

So maybe Hoid switched the Blades and gave the Honorblade to someone?  Because that sounds like Brandon being cagey, there.

That feels most likely to me, just who would he give it to? As far as we know he has not given it to one of the heroes (unless Jasnah is hiding it somewhere...) 

“I know,” Odium said. “You are still of use. First, I will require that Honorblade which you have so cleverly stolen. And then you will find out for me what the Alethi have discovered about this tower.…”

OK which honorblade did Mr. T steal?

Just now, ADIMORTIS said:

“I know,” Odium said. “You are still of use. First, I will require that Honorblade which you have so cleverly stolen. And then you will find out for me what the Alethi have discovered about this tower.…”

Hmm we were lead to believe it was Jezrien's as shortly after we see Jezrien's Blade being given to Moash, but we could be wrong. Can someone with the book to hand check what's said about the theft of the Honorblade was it stolen by a human?

3 minutes ago, ADIMORTIS said:

He stole Jezrien's, that had been given to Bridge Four to practice with, I thought?

• Chaos locked this topic