[OB] House Sadeas's bad luck

NightFrost

Alright so I know they are kind of the bad guys but I feel almost bad for House Sadeas I mean first their highprince is murdured then after they get a new one they are ordered to go move rocks instead of fight. Finaly their minds are taken over by Odium with it all ending with another dead highprince. Personally I think they should just dissolve the house and create recreate it from scratch maybe then their bad luck will end.

I was thinking about this relative to Kaladin's family.  While I have little pity for the high-ranking light-eyes of House Sadeas, they are devoid of both leadership and soldiers.  Kaladin himself is worried about it.

Reports from Alethkar said that the parshman armies were pushing north, that Alethi armies in the area had moved into Herdaz. What would happen to Hearthstone? His family?

Presumably, Dalinar will begin to deploy his troops if only to protect the unconquered parts of Alethkar.  Who goes to Hearthstone?  Do the residents of Hearthstone flee to Herdaz?

1 hour ago, RShara said:

They bring it on themselves more than a little, though, so no pity from me.

Did they really? Odium himself says he's been working towards this for decades. Against such a force, what chance does the will of men stand?

1 hour ago, HoidsRock said:

I was thinking about this relative to Kaladin's family.  While I have little pity for the high-ranking light-eyes of House Sadeas, they are devoid of both leadership and soldiers.  Kaladin himself is worried about it.

Presumably, Dalinar will begin to deploy his troops if only to protect the unconquered parts of Alethkar.  Who goes to Hearthstone?  Do the residents of Hearthstone flee to Herdaz?

Mentioning Kaladin made me think... what if Kaladin gets to replace Sadeas? He is, after all, from the area, he is sort of the leader of the Knights Radiant (under Dalinar), and it would have some nice irony to it.

There's no reason the house should continue exist as a political power.  This is the second time they've directly betrayed House Kholin.  Hopefully Jasnah will show more pragmatism than Dalinar did regarding allowing an obviously hostile house to take up residence in their midst.  At best their armies should be dissolved and allowed to apply for service to other houses.  At worst the whole of House Sadeas should be evicted from Urithiru.

The Azish are totally justified in not trusting the Urithuru alliance and the Alethi armed forces as the Alethi still don't have their internal affairs in order.

1 minute ago, Subvisual Haze said:

The Azish are totally justified in not trusting the Urithuru alliance and the Alethi armed forces as the Alethi still don't have their internal affairs in order.

I agree. The whole situation is a mess. I do think Odium has planned for this and therefore whilst it is important that people take responsibility, they aren't realy to blame. I mean even Dalinar only managed to stand up to Odium as he basically manifested as a shard. He'd been Odium's tool for years prior to that - look at the way he fails to resist the Thrill. We lnow Sadeas felt the same way because he says so in his PoV in WoR. Sadeas and Dalinar weren't so different, but key choices made their individual paths completely diverge.

52 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Did they really? Odium himself says he's been working towards this for decades. Against such a force, what chance does the will of men stand?

And he thrives on people pretending they aren't responsible for their actions like Clan Sadeas (not Sadeas himself who, if nothing else, doesn't seem ashamed of any of his actions. Actually, I respect Sadeas more than Amaram)

2 hours ago, Stromblessed said:

It's like the saying , birds of a feather flock together.

But this is also really advantageous for house Sadeas as their army now likely has the most number of broken men. Huge pool for Radiants

I hope this happens. I don't want the whole Sadeas princedom to basically turn out to be the Slytherin House of Roshar.

45 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Mentioning Kaladin made me think... what if Kaladin gets to replace Sadeas? He is, after all, from the area, he is sort of the leader of the Knights Radiant (under Dalinar), and it would have some nice irony to it.

This is actually...not impossible. Considering highprince is decided by whoever the highlords pick as highprince when there is no clear heir, and that Ialai left Urithiru is disgrace, some lighteyes could possibly try to get Kaladin as highprince. As was stated above Jasnah won't put up with their chull-droppings like Dalinar did, and after the second mess in 3 months for House Sadeas they may well try to throw all hope of survival for the House at Kaladin. Sure, he'd change the name, but they would continue existing instead of getting dissolved :P. Swearing themselves to the Windrunner leader might actually be one of the few ways they have of legitimizing themselves as appart from the past (kind of similar to Szeth swearing to Dalinar). The funniest thing is Kaladin might have an apoplexy at the idea :D.

13 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

As was stated above Jasnah won't put up with their chull-droppings like Dalinar did

Jasnah also wouldn't put up with Kaladins moral wavering like Dalinar did- to be honest I can only see her offering Kaladin the princedom if he swears to agree with her in all matters of foreign policy 

15 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

There's no reason the house should continue exist as a political power.  This is the second time they've directly betrayed House Kholin.  Hopefully Jasnah will show more pragmatism than Dalinar did regarding allowing an obviously hostile house to take up residence in their midst.  At best their armies should be dissolved and allowed to apply for service to other houses.  At worst the whole of House Sadeas should be evicted from Urithiru.

According to Shallan at the end, Ialai had left Urithiru in disgrace (where to, I wonder?). I dunno what that means for the men under Ialai though and it's not clear how many survived either.

Hmm. I guess the most likely scenario is that Ialai returns to the warcamps with the remains of House Sadeas. Not all highprinces moved into Urithiru IIRC.

Edited by kari-no-sugata

2 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

Jasnah also wouldn't put up with Kaladins moral wavering like Dalinar did- to be honest I can only see her offering Kaladin the princedom if he swears to agree with her in all matters of foreign policy 

I don't see why she'd require that, as she knows Kaladin is in no way comparable to Sadeas. He's no dangerous backstabber but is rather looking to save the world.

2 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

Thing is, despite been queen Jasnah has some big limitations in the power she wields as highprinces are largely independet with the monarch having little say on who ends up as highprince. Highprince is simply the person the princedom brightlords pick as highprince. However, house Sadeas is a tight spot between the turning voidy of their troops and the Sadeas betrayal followed by Amaram turning to an Unmade. If the Sadeas group tries to name one of their own highprince Jasnah may be able to block it with the argument that they've had 2 traitors in a row, and most of their house affected by Odium so they are not reliable. But if they try to name Kaladin...he is the leader of the Windrunners, there isn't really a good argument Jasnah can make to block him. And I don't really think she would want to, she knows despite their differences there wouldn't be better options. Honestly, the one to block that path would likely be Kaladin himself who wouldn't be interested. 

I'm not saying I think this will happen, just considering the possibilities :). Fun ones :D.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 8:40 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

The Highprinces are all just aristocrats in exile at this point.  They have no direct control of their territory or people.  Even their armies exist due to the continued grace of soulcasters.  

Now that's going to cause problems or finally give Dalinar the edge he needs to stop them fighting.

• Chaos locked this topic