[OB] Missing Fused and Difference in Powers

Vulcronos

Oathbringer stated that we have seen nine types of Fused.  Do we know which Knight Radiant analogue we are missing?  I am assuming Bondsmiths since they are a unique and limited order and either don't exist or require bonding to an Unmade which we haven't seen in a fused yet.

Do we know anything more about which Fused is missing?

Also, we know that Fused powers work differently, the flying ones Kalladin fights accelerate slower than he does.  Do we have any idea why that is?  Everything affected by gravity accelerates at the same speed.

Potential theories I see:

1. The use a method other than gravity to fly
  2. Something about the Fused and their gem hearts makes them accelerate differently, like how Greatshells can be bigger because of their interactions with Spren

Any other ideas?

I do not recall seeing any of the Fused use more than one Surge. I suspect Kaladin didn't fight Windrunner Fused, but Gravitation Fused. Which would mean, as far as 9 varieties go, they're either missing a Surge, or just that the tenth kind isn't one Venli could see. But the Surges I recall seeing are Gravitation (duh), Abrasion (also duh), Regrowth (the big dude who kept healing), and Illumination (the one who stole the big gemstone in the first place).

I think the slower acceleration is more of a narratively-based balancing act. They have a seemingly limitless supply of Voidlight, but they are somewhat more limited than a Radiant. It's a weaker magic in some ways, a stronger one in others.

15 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

They have a seemingly limitless supply of Voidlight, but they are somewhat more limited than a Radiant. It's a weaker magic in some ways, a stronger one in others.

Is the limitless Voidlight due to Odium powering them similar to how Honour powered his own Heralds? 

I don't think unlimited Voidlight is necessarily a trait for Voidbringers, nor is it to do with direct connection to Odium. Unless I'm mistaken, in Dalinar's visions, the KRs seem to have neverending Stormlight as well judging by the absence of spheres on the radiants. I don't recall having read about an alternative method of storing Stormlight on the person either.

58 minutes ago, TheLordRuler said:

Is the limitless Voidlight due to Odium powering them similar to how Honour powered his own Heralds? 

I believe this is correct. One of the epigraph excerpts from Mythica suggests that Bo-Ado-Mishram was able to do the same thing, and it sounds like the thing that ended the False Desolation was the Radiants trapping this Unmade. 

@Mondaysjelly, I believe that in at least one of Dalinar's visions (maybe the one where he brings Fen in?) he finds some spheres on himself, as he is inhibiting the body of a Radiant.

2 minutes ago, Argent said:

I believe this is correct. One of the epigraph excerpts from Mythica suggests that Bo-Ado-Mishram was able to do the same thing, and it sounds like the thing that ended the False Desolation was the Radiants trapping this Unmade. 

@Mondaysjelly, I believe that in at least one of Dalinar's visions (maybe the one where he brings Fen in?) he finds some spheres on himself, as he is inhibiting the body of a Radiant.

Ah thanks. I must have missed it on my first read through.

Makes sense why they needed to summon the Everstorm this time around to gain access to Voidlight. 

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

I do not recall seeing any of the Fused use more than one Surge. I suspect Kaladin didn't fight Windrunner Fused, but Gravitation Fused. Which would mean, as far as 9 varieties go, they're either missing a Surge, or just that the tenth kind isn't one Venli could see. But the Surges I recall seeing are Gravitation (duh), Abrasion (also duh), Regrowth (the big dude who kept healing), and Illumination (the one who stole the big gemstone in the first place).

I would, on general principles, be very happy to support the idea that each Fused accesses only one Surge, and there are no Fused who can access whatever Surge gives Dalinar his God powers (Adhesion, it looks like). However... the Voidbinding chart parallels the Surgebinding one with each Voidbinder symbol connected to two "Void-Surges".  

1 minute ago, emailanimal said:

I would, on general principles, be very happy to support the idea that each Fused accesses only one Surge, and there are no Fused who can access whatever Surge gives Dalinar his God powers (Adhesion, it looks like). However... the Voidbinding chart parallels the Surgebinding one with each Voidbinder symbol connected to two "Void-Surges".  

I don't think Adhesion works because Windrunners also have that Surge.  It probably has more to do with his connection to the Stormfather.  The Highstorms already penetrate all three realms to recharge spheres.  The additional changes Honor made to the Stormfather before his death allow Dalinar to create a localized Highstorm without the storm.  The Stormfather specifically says that this has never happened before and I am willing to bet that any Bondsmith connected to the Nightwatcher couldn't duplicate this effect.  The Sibling is up for debate because if it is even partly of Honor there might be a chance in my mind.

I suspect part of the changes Honor made to the Stormfather gave it additional awareness and increased its Spiritual connections.  It likely was already strong on the Cognitive realm because of the stories humans told.  

1 minute ago, Vulcronos said:

don't think Adhesion works because Windrunners also have that Surge

Coppermind says that what Dalinar did was the combination of Tension and Adhesion.  The reason why I think that if there is one Surge the Fused don't have access to it would be Adhesion is precisely because the "Windrunner" Fused appear to largely use Gravitation.  And the bit where Dalinar merges three Realms together? Smells like Adhesion to me.

• Chaos locked this topic