[OB] Speculations on the title of book four.

Turnblade Jade

Stormlight books are titled after books in world. So what are some ideas for the title of book four? And what character's backstory do you think we'll be following? WoK=Kaladin, WoR=Shallan, OB=Dalinar. Book four=?

My thoughts:
I think the next book will be named after a book written in the Dawnchant. I don't think it will be a book that we've already seen in world.
Perhaps Venli will be our next focus?

• Turnblade Jade changed the title to [OB] Speculations on the title of book four.

The planned flashback characters for the last books of the first five SA books are Szeth and Eshonai, so Venli might be the source for her sister's since she's now dead. When OB was planned as having Szeth in the spotlight, the books was called Stones Unhallowed. I think he'll be a good choice of focus considering how his arch is now entangled with the main cast, but it's too soon to say. 

I asked at the Houston signing and Eshonai is the focus character for book 4.  Brandan has said he could use a dead character for flashbacks so its not shocking that Eshonai is still the planned focus.  Given the presence of the ancestors and fused, I think its possible that she is still active in book 4, but I also think its equally likely she is just there for flashbacks.

Huh. Well, if we're sure it's going to be Eshonai (which, as we all know, can change, given that we all thought OB was going to be SU for a while), then I have no idea what the book will be called. I think Szeth's book should still be Stones Unhallowed--that's a cool name--but Eshonai's book has to have an especially good title, being such a special case and all.

57 minutes ago, Lightflame said:

I would call it Song of Secrets, but I'm not sure if a song counts as a book. I guess it could if it was written down.

Considering the listeners were a society based on an oral history, I think that fits perfectly. 

Their songs are their books 

18 hours ago, DSC01 said:

Well, if we're sure it's going to be Eshonai (which, as we all know, can change, given that we all thought OB was going to be SU for a while)

According to Maxal, there's an old WoB where Brandon explicitly said he's alternating Male/Female Focus Characters, meaning Eshonai was always gonna be Book 4. He's got 5 of each, and Book 3 would've followed the pattern even if it were Szeth's book, so I'm inclined to believe him here.

16 hours ago, Lightflame said:

I would call it Song of Secrets, but I'm not sure if a song counts as a book. I guess it could if it was written down.

As mentioned the first time this was discussed, SoS would have an issue with Shadows of Self. Nothing prevents him from titling it The Song of Secrets like tWoK and watching us suffer with tSoS. That said, I kinda want the title to be from a new song altogether, if only to add more to the worldbuilding of their culture. So to quote myself from last time:

On 11/5/2017 at 9:17 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Of the Seven Songs we currently know of, Song of Winds or Song of Secrets are the most likely picks.

Discussing "Generic Words that sound cool" is gonna be an entertaining game to watch.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but are we actually sure, that next books will have a clear main focus character in any other way than by that character getting flashbacks? What I mean, is in the speardsheets Dalinar, Kaladin and Shallan were always the main characters - one of them primary, other secondary, but these are our mains. Szeth and Venli/Eshonai might get flashbacks, but I don't see them suddenly overtaking a book at this point; getting more than so far, yes, but not overwhelmingly. Besides, even though this was Dalinar's book, I felt like at times Shallan got even more screen time (maybe because I was so struggling with being in her mind this time...). 

Also, the book doesn't have to be tied to the main character (just see WoK).

5 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

but are we actually sure, that next books will have a clear main focus character in any other way than by that character getting flashbacks? What I mean, is in the speardsheets Dalinar, Kaladin and Shallan were always the main characters - one of them primary, other secondary, but these are our mains. Szeth and Venli/Eshonai might get flashbacks, but I don't see them suddenly overtaking a book at this point;

As far as I know, we don't know anything more than this WoB says.

Interview: Sep 4th, 2014
Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Verbatim)

Question
What are the other books in The Stormlight Archive going to be about?

Brandon Sanderson
Well each one is going to cover a flashback sequence for one of the characters and each one will focus on a different order of the Knights Radiant. And that's not always the same, like the flashbacks for the first one were Kaladin and it was also Windrunners, but we won't always have them be the exact same.

That said, Brandon would probably follow the existing book's precedent, like you mentioned with the Spreadsheet.

13 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but are we actually sure, that next books will have a clear main focus character in any other way than by that character getting flashbacks? What I mean, is in the speardsheets Dalinar, Kaladin and Shallan were always the main characters - one of them primary, other secondary, but these are our mains. Szeth and Venli/Eshonai might get flashbacks, but I don't see them suddenly overtaking a book at this point; getting more than so far, yes, but not overwhelmingly. Besides, even though this was Dalinar's book, I felt like at times Shallan got even more screen time (maybe because I was so struggling with being in her mind this time...). 

Also, the book doesn't have to be tied to the main character (just see WoK).

I have this exact feeling. Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar have been on a journey since the beginning, we have seen in detail the highs and the lows for each one, they are very well developed even if not everything is adressed. What are we supposed to do with the 3 main characters if Eshonai/Venli and Szeth suddenly take over? Will we slow down to a crawl the progression of the trio? Are we getting really big development for the duo so they can catch up? It wouldn't feel right to freeze the progression of characters that had the spotlight for so long. Imagine 3 Kaladin chapters in the book and he still speak the 4th windrunner ideal.

1 hour ago, Oberyn said:

I have this exact feeling. Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar have been on a journey since the beginning, we have seen in detail the highs and the lows for each one, they are very well developed even if not everything is adressed. What are we supposed to do with the 3 main characters if Eshonai/Venli and Szeth suddenly take over? Will we slow down to a crawl the progression of the trio? Are we getting really big development for the duo so they can catch up? It wouldn't feel right to freeze the progression of characters that had the spotlight for so long. Imagine 3 Kaladin chapters in the book and he still speak the 4th windrunner ideal.

I don't know if this will happen, but one natural way to structure Song of Secrets is with a Singer uprising storyline (Venli/Eshonai + probably Kaladin) and an Urithiru storyline (Dalinar/Szeth/Jasnah/Shallan), and then tie them all together in one climactic battle. You might slightly reduce the number of view point chapters that the main three have while keeping them active in the narrative and giving them plenty of screen time.

It will depend on when Szeth will begin his crusade, it will make the most sense for his flashbacks to accompany that mission. I'd bet on next book, and leave the listener flashbacks for book 5 when Venli will in all likelihood backstab Odium.

Edited by Darvys

Brandon had mentioned at one point that he was thinking of changing the title of book 3 (when it was still to be Szeth's book) from Stones Unhallowed to Skybreaker, because Pat Rothfuss' forever upcoming third book is titled Doors of Stone. Given that the next will likely be Eshonai's, and that puts book 5 out about 7ish years, I'd say he'll still have the same worry at that point. So Szeth's book, whenever we get it, will probably not be Stones Unhallowed, as cool a name as that is.

On 20/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, The One Who Connects said:

According to Maxal, there's an old WoB where Brandon explicitly said he's alternating Male/Female Focus Characters, meaning Eshonai was always gonna be Book 4. He's got 5 of each, and Book 3 would've followed the pattern even if it were Szeth's book, so I'm inclined to believe him here.

Well Eshonai isn’t female. She’s femalen.