[OB] What the Skybreakers SHOULD/could do

Erunion

So - let’s talk about the Skybreakers. They are all about the law. Nale has been convinced that the law he should be following in this conflict is that of the Singers (something that he wasn’t previously convinced of, but has later decided upon). This is terrible. And makes me think he needs Lift to hug him again. 

Why is this terrible? Because Odium. Odium has corrupted the singers, and by proxy their law. Much as he was corrupting the Alethi, but even more pervasively. 

But Nale is right in this - humans aren’t exactly innocents, and their laws aren’t necessarily trustworthy. Plus, the Singers ought to be treated fairly. 

So what does Nale need? 

He needs the Geneva Conventions.

Less anachronistically, he and his Skybreakers need to get outside of the Singer/Human conflict and fight for true Justice. They need to fight against war crimes. They need to protect non-combatants and punish war criminals. 

In this way, they would support both the humans and the Singers while foiling Odium, because what does Odium crave? What does he inspire? Hate. And hate leads to war crimes (as war crimes lead to more hate). 

So we need Nale to get his head together and set up the International Court of Justice. 

I don't think Nale is capable of setting up such a court:

• he's half (if not more) insane
  • he's always been set on following a law set by someone else -> how would he set one himself?

I would love to see the Skybreakers follow the law of the breakaway group of Singers/Listeners I'm hoping that Venli will create but I fear that that is not what they will be following, maybe they will split with some of the Skybreakers turning to Venli's people and some to Odium's? Or maybe some of the Skybreakers will refuse the path nale is suggesting and go to Dalinar instead?

For me, Nale's Heel-Face Turn will be saving the heroes (likely including Szeth and/or Lift) from Ishar the mad when he realises that his 5th Ideal means he can decide what the Law should be, and sees reason (or someone finds a flaw in the Parshendi are innocent story, Spren-law, Adonalsium law or something else). 

Nale will have a redemption arc, but ending in self-sacrifice IMO. And he will always have the capacity to decide to change what counts as the Law because he is a Full Radiant of the 5th Skybreaker Ideal and that Ideal is that HE is the Law. When he fully realises this, he may even unite enough of Honor's essence to become the Subshard Justice and deal Odium a huge hit against Ishar before passing that SubShard over to Szeth.

Yeah, I kind of like Nin, even though right now he is insane and guilty of a lot of harm

The other issue I have with Nale is what are the laws of the Singers?  Do they have written laws to follow?  Who has authority to write the laws?  If the leaders are possessed by Odium, then can the Singers truly have their own laws?  I mean, if Nale is following the Singers based on the logic that they used to own the land thousands of years ago, is he following their original laws?  The whole decisions is very suspect from a practical view.  If he truly wants to follow the laws of the Singers, he has to somehow distinguish them from Odium's law.

11 minutes ago, Vulcronos said:

If he truly wants to follow the laws of the Singers, he has to somehow distinguish them from Odium's law.

I just made this exact point in the other Skybreaker thread.  To me this means that Skybreakers may actually play a role later in separating the singers from Odium.

My problem with Nale deciding that hes going to join the singers is that hes making 2 assumptions at least; first is that he decided that the singers laws are right because they were here first, second is that the singers have laws from what it seems the singers follow the fused and the fused are half insane if not completely insane and they serve Odium. I think also since he decided to end the desolations hes swapped from stopping budding radiant to halt the coming desolation to another way because the fused cant be stopped the Oathpack was the best bet and even that failed to stop the fused the only way to truly stop the fused is to let them win which means humanity needs to be gone or at least subjugated it seems.

• Chaos locked this topic