[OB] Favourite OB moment / Character ?

Stromblessed

Someone just mentioned Rlain's POV and yes I agree. That one caught me off guard in the best way.

Cause everybody likes Bridge Four, their camaraderie, warmth, loyalty, confidence. And then Rlain's POV hits you. I love how he managed to convey both his frustration and his love. You understand him and even get upset on his behalf. Around the end, I got worried, because so much pent up feelings are not good and could lead him who knows where. And then, Kaladin. So simple and yet so evocative. I started breathing again. This is painted as just another ordinary moment, but one that still requires understanding, courage and trust, from both characters.

Storms, Brandon, when I think you can't surprise me anymore.

3 hours ago, Seize said:

Someone just mentioned Rlain's POV and yes I agree. That one caught me off guard in the best way.

Cause everybody likes Bridge Four, their camaraderie, warmth, loyalty, confidence. And then Rlain's POV hits you. I love how he managed to convey both his frustration and his love. You understand him and even get upset on his behalf. Around the end, I got worried, because so much pent up feelings are not good and could lead him who knows where. And then, Kaladin. So simple and yet so evocative. I started breathing again. This is painted as just another ordinary moment, but one that still requires understanding, courage and trust, from both characters.

Storms, Brandon, when I think you can't surprise me anymore.

I loved Bridge 4 POVs too. In WoR Kal seems to feel uncomfortable when they sort of worship him, so it was great to see how the members of Bridge 4 know he has a lost of flaws, but tries to overcome them, can often be soft and tender, and though they have faith in Kaladin, they also know he is not unbreakable. I loved their perspective :) 

Teft licked his lips, and spoke.

"I will protect those I hate. Even ... even if the one I hate most ... is  ... myself."

That was a touching scene, definitely one of my favourites 

As to my favourite character, it has  to be Adolin and Renarin, they were both great in their unique ways.

Edited by StormblessDave

One of my favorite moments, and probably my favorite line was when Amaram and Kaladin are fighting and Amaram keeps claiming that he made Kaladin who he is, that he forged him and:

Kaladin floated downward toward him.  "Ten spears go to battle", he whispered, "and nine shatter.  Did that war forge the one that remained?  No Amaram.  All the war did was identify the spear that would not break".

Such a great line.  And I have to mention Kaladin and Jasnah's brief exchange.  They snap at each other and then she gives that smile.  I realize that the two of them getting together is still extremely unlikely, but that little exchange let me keep hoping.  :D

On another note, I just have to say, that in my first reading I didn't recognize all of the truly epic moments...until I read this threat.  Talking about these books with all of you like minded, passionate fans, helps me appreciate more of the book than I might have done on my own.  You guys are great!

Edited by Wolven

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, Kal's Gal said:

Wow! I need to do a reread but I'd probably say Elohkar's death just as he was saying the oaths. I never really cared for him much before this, but that just really struck me. I haven't been that upset about a character's death since Nick in The Stand. (And I've read a lot of books since the 90s!)

I also really liked Dalinar and Amaram's chat in chapter 28, as well as he and King T's first fireside chat. I love the philosophy and social commentary.

Surprisingly, I really loved the scene going to get Skar and Drehy, and the Gavinor reveal. I needed to know that they were ok!

Finally, I loved Dalinar and Lifts interactions. 

I do wish there was more Kaladin bad assery in this one.

I think this is the best written of the 3 books, though it's not my favorite. 

Sorry talking about that Elhokar scene reminded me of this meme

9B0433BB-A0ED-45A1-9462-569E1F3E4769.png

1 minute ago, IGetLIFTed said:

I just read Oathbringer though and I don’t want to completely miss all of the fun:D

That’s fair. Though, generally, if a thread has been dead for more than a year, it’s time to just make a new one. 

Also, try not to double post. If you need to add something to the thread and no one’s responded since your last post, there’s an edit button for a reason.

Girl Who Stood Up. Something about it just hit me so hard. It's the perfect balance of depth and humor and despair and hope.

In this context, strange though it seemed, some pieces of the story as she'd told it made sense. When the girl went up to people and asked, "Why is there a wall?" it was obvious why they found it so easy to ignore.

The illusion followed Wit's words as the girl in the scarves asked several people about the wall. Don't go beyond it, or you shall die.

"And so," Wit said, "she decided that the only way she'd find answers would be to climb the wall herself." He glanced at Shallan. "Was she stupid or bold?"

"How should I know?"

"Wrong answer. She was both."

- Chapter 82, page 790 (US First Edition Paperback)

• Chaos locked this topic