[OB] Favourite OB moment / Character ?

Stromblessed

8 hours ago, FeatherWriter said:

Apparently I was summoned. Hello. This is your daily reminder that I would die for Renarin Kholin. And also as of Oathbringer, Taln. Taln is extremely good as well. Y'all can probably guess my favorite part because it started with me having a longstanding theory proved COMPLETELY RIGHT and then followed up with Renarin POV, which is basically all I've ever wanted in my life ever.

Renarin Defense Squad, form up.

. I loved nightwatcher/dalinar/cultivation scene

. I always cheer for my main guy Kal and loved his KR revelation in Hearthstone

. Dalinar tried his hardest with that badass honor perpendicularity moment 

But there is no freaking Taln/Ash doesn't take it for me in this book. Such a selfless scene from the herald, ash that always appeared pretty composed melting for him. His madness up to the point just made the scene even sweeter. The guy is a freaking boss. 

Wow! I need to do a reread but I'd probably say Elohkar's death just as he was saying the oaths. I never really cared for him much before this, but that just really struck me. I haven't been that upset about a character's death since Nick in The Stand. (And I've read a lot of books since the 90s!)

I also really liked Dalinar and Amaram's chat in chapter 28, as well as he and King T's first fireside chat. I love the philosophy and social commentary.

Surprisingly, I really loved the scene going to get Skar and Drehy, and the Gavinor reveal. I needed to know that they were ok!

Finally, I loved Dalinar and Lifts interactions. 

I do wish there was more Kaladin bad assery in this one.

I think this is the best written of the 3 books, though it's not my favorite. 

There were so many awesome characters:

*Adolin, who proved himself to be one of the kindest men on Roshar, as well as being one of the most badass, since he took on a Thunderclast with only a Blade, and successfully held it off long enough to survive. And he did this largely by himself. I also enjoyed that some of his worries and fears are showing. 

*Taln, who takes 4,000 years worth of torture, and is glad that the others abandoned him so that humanity could get a rest. The guy is awesome. 

*Elhokar, who redeemed himself for his faults, and showed true greatness and caring, in that he put others before himself, and his personal glory. He became a worthy king at the end.

*Szeth, for being totally unique. I have never been a big Szeth fan, but I loved him in Part 5. Every single thing he did or said was great. His humbleness is fantastic.

*Amaram, for being a tragic character, whose (flawed) attempts to do good wound up crushing him and transforming him into a monster. 

*Pattern, for being the most relaxed and awesome dude on Roshar. No mating, dividing by zero, marrying Adolin, the fact that he seemed to enjoy himself while pretending to be an illusion to trick Voidbringers... he had so many hilarious moments.

And those were just a few. 

“If you wish, Captain,” Jasnah snapped, “I can get you some mink kits to cuddle while the adults plan. None of us want to talk about this, but that does not make it any less inevitable.”
“I’d love that,” Kaladin responded. “In turn, I’ll get you some eels to cuddle. You’ll feel right at home.”
Jasnah, curiously, smiled.

Spoiler

GIVE ME YOUR PASSION KALNAH :D:D

Queen Fen was wonderful. Dropped into the middle of a terrible vision she Cowgirl's up and organizes the defense.

Queen Jasnah was completely unexpected and the best thing that could have happened.

I still love Adolin, even without being a Radiant he leads and fights and doesn't leave Kaladin behind.

Cultivation playing the long game. This explains Dalinar getting his memory back but doesn't seem to be what is going on with Lift.

I think my first post here despite years of lurking was this question in regards to WoR. So here goes.

"Where you... thinkin' you'd fight them all on your own?" Lift said. "With a book?"

"There is something else for me to fight here."

"...With a book?"

"Yes"

She shook her head, "Sure, all right. Why not? What do you want me to do?"

The girl didn't match the ideal description of a Knight Radiant. Not even five feet tall, this and wiry, she looked more urchin than soldier.

She was also all he had.

"Do you have a weapon?" he asked.

"Nope. Can't read."

I respect Dalinar, hes a noble character, inspiring, wise, stoic. I identify with Kaladin, he struggles, he overcomes, he tries. I adore Shallan, she is quippy, fun, and is a great representation of that all to human quest to discover our self. So many of the characters in this story posses tremendous meaning to me. Now that being said, pardon the hyperbole.

Lift is the greatest character that has ever happened in anything. Ever.

11 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

And some people don’t like her. I just don’t get it. Yeah she’s goofy sometimes but she’s clinch when it counts (in a hilarious way too).

To each their own. I can see how for some her character could break the fourth wall. I find her odd mix of wisdom and naivete to be both endearing and insightful.

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

And some people don’t like her. I just don’t get it. Yeah she’s goofy sometimes but she’s clinch when it counts (in a hilarious way too).

a child runing all her life because people can expect something from her don't have any appeal to me. her stubborness to don't learning nothing outside the strict street living skill is make abnormal annoying. i like her grow arc in edgedancer, a bit of responsibility was high needed.

Edited by Fulminato

I have to say I loved Shallan in this one. I usually don’t like her, but her whole Ghostblood/Veil and her trip through Shadesmar with Vivena was awesome. I guess I tend to judge characters based on how many lore bombs they help create, and in OB, Shallan won that for sure.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:44 PM, Matt Snow said:

I gotta say I couldn't stop laughing when Past!Dalinar killed a man, cleaned the knife he killed him with, and the used eat to finally eat his steak.

Oh, this! This was my favourite scene with young Dalinar. I especially loved when he walked into a highstorm, sees a giant monster in the distance, and just flips it off before going back inside. He was so casual about it!

Dalinar. Everything Dalinar, since WoK.

My favorite scene was Dalinar walking calmly into the Thrill. 'Hello, Old Friend'.

How strong do you have to be to walk face first straight i to your lifelong addiction and face it? I know how strong I am not, and how much struggle there is even 10 years later.

That hit me like a warm summer rain. I may have found a bit more strength from Dalinars character arc..

I have to say Kal's obsession with protecting everyone, and like absolutely everyone, has always been super powerful to me. Maybe I'm just one who gives up too easily when things look obviously hopeless, because seeing him trying to save everyone without even thinking about how ridiculously impossible it is gives me such hope.

And then to have is all coalesce in that moment with Elhokar and Sah and Moash and Beard.......

And then to have wonderful what-would-we-do-without-you Syl: "Maybe you don't have to save anyone, Kaladin. Maybe it's time for someone to save you." uuggghhh THE FEELZ

Apart from that, Ash and Taln. Just...Ash and Taln.

He read this latest set of stained-glass images, then felt his fear drain away. He smiled. This seemed to confuse the Fused as they lowered their salutes.

"You're wondering why I'm smiling," Renarin said.

They didn't respond.

"Don't worry," Renarin said. "You didn't miss something funny. I... well, I doubt you'll find it amusing."

Edited by digitalbusker
Formatting

I'm a sucker for heartwarming father/son relationships so this is probably my favorite.

A hand fell on his shoulder. “Father?”

“Adolin, so help me—” Still kneeling, Dalinar turned, then cut off. It wasn’t Adolin, but the other one. Renarin had returned, timid as always, his spectacled eyes wide and his hand trembling. He held something out.

A small bottle. “I…” Renarin swallowed. “I got you one, with the spheres the king gave me. Because you always go through what you buy so quickly.”

Dalinar stared at that bottle of wine for an endless moment. “Gavilar hides the wine from me,” he mumbled. “That’s why none is left. I … couldn’t possibly … have drunk it all.…”

Renarin stepped in and hugged him. Dalinar flinched, bracing as if for a punch. The boy clung to him, not letting go.

“They talk about you,” Renarin said, “but they’re wrong. You just need to rest, after all the fighting you did. I know. And I miss her too.”

Dalinar licked his lips. “What did she tell you?” he said, voice ragged. “What did your mother say about me?”

“The only honest officer in the army,” Renarin said, “the honorable soldier. Noble, like the Heralds themselves. Our father. The greatest man in Alethkar.”

What stupid words. Yet Dalinar found himself weeping. Renarin let go, but Dalinar grabbed him, pulling him close.

Lucid Taln was heart wrenchingly awesome. 

I think one of the coolest parts was when the Fused inhabited Venli's group's bodies. The realisation what Fused are, what needs to happen for them to return, and what they are like was terrifying and amazing. When the crazy predator Fused went "High skies. Dead winds. Blood rain" I got the shivers. 

There are so many other amazing scenes, Sah's, Noro's and Beard's deaths hit me harder than they should have, and, surprisingly, so did Elhokar's. He really grew on me. I think Rock's and Teft's chapters were really strong, so was Rlain's. I loved every second of Renarin and when Jasnah's love didn't fail I shamelessly cried.

All Renarin scenes. I'm serious, this book was gold already just for him, and the excitement when under part five it said "Knights Radiant" and I sped through the chapters, squealing when the Jasnah-Renarin scene started AND THE RENARIN POV! (Apologies...)

The fight in Kholinar in the palace hallway. I swear, I read on frantically searching for a clue that just maybe Elokhar would return. Nearly screamed when he began the oath and same when he was interrupted. Still not over it.

The moment all the Radiants met up. Before I was wondering if they might actually lose the fight and then - Bam! - Radiance in masses.

Renarin walking up to the Oathgate and Teft saving the day.

All the times Navani or Jasnah thought 'Bother.'

Jasnah. In every way.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 68 "Aim for the Sun" is probably my favorite stretch of dialogue because everything Hoid says is pure gold. Obviously the quote that's the chapter's namesake is storming hilarious. But also this tidbit 

"I'm not stupid enough to get mixed up in religion again. The last seven times I tried it were all disasters. I believe there's at least one god still worshipping me by accident."

She eyed him. It was always hard to tell which of Wit's exaggerations were supposed to mean something and which were confusing distractions.