[OB] Favourite OB moment / Character ?

Stromblessed

Pattern though,

“Inappropriate?” Pattern said. “Such as … dividing by zero?”

“Very well, you two,” Pattern said. “No mating. NO MATING.” He hummed to himself, as if pleased, then sank down onto a plate.

Then of course Syl,

'He tried—unsuccessfully—to banish the image of lying in bed with a woman, Syl sitting on the headboard and shouting encouragement and advice'

-Stop! - he finally bellowed. - Stop it! Stop killing each other!

Nearby, Sah rammed Beard through with a spear.

Kaladin screamed, tears streaming from his eyes. He begged them to just stop, to listen.

They couldn't hear him. Sah, gentle Sah, who had only wanted to protect his daughter, died by Noro's sword. Noro, in turn, got his head split by Khen's axe.

Noro and Sah fell beside Beard, whose dead eyes stared sightlessly, his arm stretched out, glyphward soaking up his blood.

Kaladin slumped to his knees.

Edited by Harbour

There was a lot to like in this, and also a lot to be upset by; favourites are tricky.

I think though my favourite character may actually have been Adolin, but for favourite moment either Dalinar's "I am Unity" moment or Jasnah's epic holding of the wall - how did Dalinar know that Jasnah would manage that? I'm unsure if he'd ever had an opportunity to see her in action before he just sort of assumed...

9 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

My favorite moment was when Jasnah's love didn't fail. There were so many moments in the book where she presented herself in an unfavorable light. This was just such a great reinforcement of her core character. Jasnah's love did not fail. 

Yeah we've always been told Jasnah is cold , and emotionless and this made it all the more believable that she might indeed kill Renarin . I think this what character progress is for her.

58 minutes ago, Stromblessed said:

Yeah we've always been told Jasnah is cold , and emotionless and this made it all the more believable that she might indeed kill Renarin . I think this what character progress is for her.

I was more surprised that it would, because in every scene we see her interacting with Renarin, she always treats him with kindness (despite that she's suspicious of him). It seemed to me that she didn't want to be right about Renarin binding a corrupted spren tied to Odium, I know I didn't want to be right about that guess, but yes. I loved that scene. There were a lot of good ones like that one, and a lot of sad ones, too...

I think though, my favorite scene was right before Dalinar Ascended (I think he's technically a Sliver now...), when he finds that gloryspren in his hands and then tells Odium "You cannot have my pain." It's so good. Dalinar grows so much in this book, and his flaws are much more front and center than they were in WoK and WoR. He can now, I think, bear his pain, and he's finally the person Evi believed that he could be.

I guess that's why he's my favorite character in Oathbringer (and SA), too.

Lift has been my favourite in all the books. I can't begin to describe how much I enjoyed the Stormfather having a virtual apoplexy about her ignoring "the rules" of life, the cosmere and everything. She's the absolute antithesis of the skybreakers. She always does the right thing and doesn't even acknowledge that there are rules, let alone follow them.

1 hour ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

My favorite moment was when Jasnah's love didn't fail. There were so many moments in the book where she presented herself in an unfavorable light. This was just such a great reinforcement of her core character. Jasnah's love did not fail. 

That was a wonderful moment - though whilst reading it my immediate thought was "I'd love to know how Feather reacted to this".

Definitely the confusion in the war room when they figure out that the voidbringers in Azir wrote essays about how unfairly they were treated they were treated instead of just pillaging. Also how the Azish reacted to Jasnah's essay. The Azish have by far been my favorite of the cultures.

24 minutes ago, aemetha said:

Lift has been my favourite in all the books. I can't begin to describe how much I enjoyed the Stormfather having a virtual apoplexy about her ignoring "the rules" of life, the cosmere and everything. She's the absolute antithesis of the skybreakers. She always does the right thing and doesn't even acknowledge that there are rules, let alone follow them.

In all the books? And that while she didn't even appear in Way of Kings. :P

3 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

In all the books? And that while she didn't even appear in Way of Kings. :P

I should have said appearances :wacko:.

Medals for both of us. The silver medal for vagueness for me, and the bronze medal for pedantry for you :p. Have an upvote ;).

“Was it worth that boy’s life?” Shallan whispered.

“I cannot judge the worth of a life. I would not dare to attempt it.”

“Muri said it would be better if I were dead.”

“As I lack the experience to decide the worth of a life, I sincerely doubt that she has somehow obtained it. You tried to help the people of the market. You mostly failed. This is life. The longer you live, the more you fail. Failure is the mark of a life well lived. In turn, the only way to live without failure is to be of no use to anyone. Trust me, I’ve practiced.”

I loved all of the Wit/Shallan moments. There’s some pretty poignant stuff here.  *snif*

“Well, you have a chance, Lyn. A chance nobody has had for ages, a chance in millions. Either you seize it, and in so doing decide you’re worthy, or you leave and give up.” He pressed the gemstone back down into her hand. “But if you leave, you don’t get to complain. As long as you keep trying, there’s a chance. When you give up? That’s when the dream dies.”

some moment in the book was realy epic (dalinar open the palm and seeing a gloryspren and spoke "you cannot have my pain" is a powerful scene). but this dialogue between skar e lyn is the my favourite.

Edited by Fulminato

1 hour ago, aemetha said:

All of Lift's lines are great: 

“If someone thinks I’m strange for talking about butts, it’s usually because they’re jealous, ’cuz I’m the only one without something rammed up mine.” She narrowed her eyes at Dalinar, then took the emperor by the arm. “Let’s go.”

“But—” Dalinar said, raising his hand.

“See, you’re learning.” She grinned at him.

Also:

"What's your order?" -  "More food!" 

and 

"What’s wrong with your army?”

“They’re his now.”

“Did you forget to feed them?”

and

“Relax, grandpa. Steal the rock. I can do that.” She took a deep breath, then exploded with Stormlight. Her eyes turned a pearly, glowing white. “It’s just us two, then?”

“Yes.”

“Right. Good luck with the army.”

Lift is just deevy. And the best thing: she will never change! :mellow:

Edited by Dryone_2

Favorite character and moment is Dalinar and Dalinar's "I am unity." I've always liked Dalinar, but Oathbringer made him my #1 (with Kal and Adolin tied for #2 now, ha). Before, I liked how honorable he was but to me that's all he was. An honorable man who I thought of as having a typical Alethi demeanor in the past but now is just the odd Alethi guy whose honor shtick is basically ignored by almost everyone else. 

Then Oathbringer fleshed him out and I was shown how much of a glorious person Dalinar truly is. A man who was addicted to the Thrill far more than was the "typical Alethi," a man who didn't feel like he was alive unless he was fighting and mowing enemies down, a man who was barely a father (especially to Renarin) or a husband, a man who ruthlessly burned down an entire city in his rage and whose wife went up in literal flames with it. That led to him realizing the kind of man he was and falling to depression and alcoholism, then to seeking out magic for his forgiveness because he didn't have the tools for it himself. 

All of which led up to the most amazing moment. His memory recovered, in the clutches of Odium who promised to take away his pain. Instead of going the emotionally easy route, he stood back up and took responsibility for every little thing he's done in the past, vowing to keep moving forward even with the mistakes of his past. One of the simplest lines but one I love completely: "Forgiven. The pain he'd so recently insisted that he would keep started to fade away on its own."

Sorry for the long-winded post, but storms, I love Dalinar so much now, for Oathbringer fully brought to light how much of a truly strong person he is in the areas that matter the most.

For me it was this exchange:

Twin thunderclasts stomped toward the wall. A red haze drifted among the men. Images of war and death. A deadly storm. Dalinar faced it alone. One man. All that remained of a broken dream. “So…” a sudden voice said from his right. “What’s the plan?” Dalinar frowned, then looked down to find a Reshi girl with long hair, dressed in a simple shirt and trousers.

The girl didn’t match the conventional ideal of a Knight Radiant. Not even five feet tall, thin and wiry, she looked more urchin than soldier. She was also all he had. “Do you have a weapon?” he asked. “Nope. Can’t read.” “Can’t…” Dalinar looked down at his book. “I meant a real weapon, Lift.” “Oh! Yeah, I’ve got one a those.” She thrust her hand to the side. Mist formed into a small, glittering Shardblade. … Or no, it was just a pole. A silver pole with a rudimentary crossguard. Lift shrugged. “Wyndle doesn’t hurting people.” Doesn’t like … Dalinar blinked. What kind of world did he live in where swords didn’t like hurting people?

She took a deep breath, then exploded with Stormlight. Her eyes turned a pearly, glowing white. “It’s just us two, then?” “Yes.” “Right. Good luck with the army.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (pp. 1109-1110). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

The interchange is of course hilarious but it is also sweet and inspiring.  The moment Dalinar thinks he's alone, the moment she steps up beside him.  The Urchin Radiant is all he's got against the overwhelming force.  Lift realizes all this and doesn't back down for a second. I laugh, cry, and stand up straighter every time I read this passage.

It's awful, but the Evi death flashback was just sooooo powerful

And on the opposite end, the moment where Dalinar rejects Odium (both with the joining of Realms and then tricking Nergoul)

Kaladin being saved by Rock

Jasnah rekking a room of enemies

The Girl that Stood Up

I loved Shadesmar, and Syl getting them the boat and Kal getting them off the boat. I loved Szeth unleashing Nightblood. I loved Pattern comedy.

So many moments.

Fave character - most of the main cast vie for it, they are all excellent characters who are very different and highlight morality and brokeness but strength in different ways BUT I think Adolin has vaulted a few to become my number 1.

Of the new bunch, I am thrilled to have Viv and Nightblood on the cast, really liked the minor Parshendi characters too

Moash can go and die in a pit though

Favorite moment was an entire chapter. The Rock POV chapter was just beautiful. The brotherhood and reuniting with his family warmed my heart.

Favorite character is a tough one for me. I think this book had the most character development out of the three. If I had to pick just one it would be Adolin which is totally shocking to me as he’s always kinda been a secondary character to me. He is a true hero and one without supernatural powers which makes it even more spectacular to me amongst his company. He’s always there when the you know what hits the fan. He yields when it’s appropriate as well. He was willing to give up Shallan because he thought it would make her and Kaladin more happy. All around a good person. 

Runner ups would be Dalinar I really liked his story and development even if a lot of it was pretty dark. Oh and Lift. I just love her and would adopt her if I could. The scene posted above with Dalinar when all looked to be lost was amazing.