[OB] Kaladin's love life ?

Stromblessed

Now before saying anything I have to preface this with I'm trash.

But personally the only person I've shipped Kaladin with is Adolin. There is just such wealth of potential there, the fanfic'er in me just melts at the thought. Both have strong personalities that bump against each other without directly clashing, there is growing respect between them as they've learned more about the other. There is good balance betwixt them too on a personal level, making up for the "defects" of the other in certain ways, Kaladin primarily being terrible at expressing himself, Adolin being much better, Adolin lacks leadership ability and he's not as good as Kaladin in big picture thinking. Ah the ship sails it self...

Of course that's never going to happen.

On a canon level, I honestly don't think there is a good possibility, I never cared for Shalladin. It just seems like it could be easily very toxic, the way Syl talked about Kaladin engaging in something with Shallan was horrifying to me. It sounded like she just doesn't have any concern for Shallan and really only views her as a convenient way to make sure Kaladin is distracted from the Depression. Kind of like how Tien helped, but like I said more toxic.

Jashnah is one that feels very aunt like to me, their interaction has been explosive and not really in a good way, I don't think there is much chance there. But perhaps she and Venli... Ah an idea.

The other women is about the same. They all have very obvious issues that can easily be exacerbated by rushing into anything. Before Tarah was fully introduced I just saw Kaladin as Ace and kinda left it at that. ace representation matters. But obvious that's not where things will go, but I'd prefer him to remain apart for now. It just seems a shame to mix in a relationship. especially as I've always felt that Sanderson isn't lets say gifted in writing them. Overall my impression has been rather meh about them at least.

Whew that was a lot of pages to read through haha. 

Shallan might be a possibility idk she has more truths to say that she hasn’t revealed so something might be about her true feelings. 

Syl. No. I don’t think that’s appropriate for Spren, and I think the nahel bond is a much more initimate relationship that doesn’t need to be romantic. 

Jasnah is interesting because we don’t know if she is gay or asexual, or just put off by the thought of a relationship with a man. If she did work for kaladin I could see it starting out as a political move, Jasnah attempting to bind all the radiants on her side to her family. From there who knows what could happen, but I don’t think age is a factor. Kaladin is aged by the life he’s lived and who knows how stormlight affects aging. It’s only 14 rosharan years. Also they have their hatred of Amaran in common. 

I don’t like the idea of kaladin’s past relationships. He’s changed and grown into something bigger and that alone would be off putting and intimidating. 

Rysn is one I have no clue about. They haven’t interacted at all. Not saying anything yet. 

As for for who I ship, I think kal needs to stay single for a while. I love romantical ties to characters but it’s not necessary. Though I would love to see how a political relationship move from Jasnah would play out, kaladin would be flabbergasted and Jasnah would be kind of off put by her own move. Think that would be the most entertaining. Also Kaladin would climb high in the social order and could affect changes to dark eyes caste society. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think Syl is Kaladan’s perfect partner. What I would like to happen is that Sly becomes human in the end and marries Kaladan. He depends on her and cares for her. I think Kal is more than he seems and could possibly become a new Herald. That is what I would like to happen. This is a FANTASY story after all. Any thing can happen!!

Given that this is a Sanderson series, I expect a lot of twists. As far as Kaladin getting hitched, well, that will be interesting. I think the most likely person is either Jasnah or a character that will be introduced in the next book. Despite her meddling, Syl is right, Kaladin needs someone. But not for the reasons you might think. He is a high ranking Lighteyes with land holdings, he also has spent time around Shallan, who is now a Kholin. He also works with women in Bridge Four. In order to not have someone like Ialai Sadeas use that as a weapon, he needs to get married soon. He is not a political person, which means he needs someone political to balance out his shortcomings in that area. Also remember that for all his maturity, he is a twenty one year old man, which means rash decision making and potentially dangerous actions.

I think Szeth and Kaladin would make a very interesting ship. So far, it's more convincing to me than Syladin or Jasnah/Kaladin.

Pros, as I see it: 

They can fly together and they both love the thrill of Lashings. Although Bridge Four are also learning to Lash, most of them are not independent Radiants yet. Szeth, however, is someone who is experienced and a good match for Kaladin in a fight, for example. They are both confident in their Surges and form a good chunk of their identity around them. Even though their first encounter was as adversaries, Szeth was the first person that Kaladin met who shared his powers and, outside of Bridge Four, the only person for a while who Kaladin admitted to that he was a Surgebinder. Szeth was also surprised to meet someone else who "knew the tempest within", and although that prompted much of his conflict in Book 2 (since the Knights Radiant are reappearing, he must not be Truthless), it was the closest he had met to a person like himself since his exile.

When Kaladin and Szeth meet again, they are suddenly on the same side - Kaladin seeking to protect Dalinar and his other allies at all costs, according to his Windrunner Ideals, and Szeth, now a Skybreaker, following Dalinar as he would follow the law. I would love to see a scene in which their morals clash - where Szeth would follow the rules and treat morals as a strict code, while Kaladin would rely more on gut instinct on what he feels is right. In such a scene, the characters could help each other develop. Kaladin could show Szeth that he could create his own morals and take initiative in what he thinks should be done, and Szeth could help Kaladin learn to detach himself emotionally from his decisions and cope with having to kill people or not being able to save them (Szeth's experience as an assassin would prove valuable).

Finally, Kaladin seems to greatly respect people if they had gone through a lot of hardship or trauma. We can see this in his relationship with Shallan, where upon learning about her past, he begins to see her as a person with depth rather than just a shallow lighteyed girl. Szeth's years following the Oathstone and being forced to kill has broken him in a way that Kaladin can empathize with.

Cons:

The age gap. Kaladin is 20-21 and Szeth is 35. Although this difference can definitely be pulled of in the second arc, I am usually uncomfortable with large age gaps.

There is no evidence in the story of Kaladin feeling attracted to men in any way, and although it hasn't been stated anywhere that he is exclusively into women, it seems unlikely that Kaladin will end up in a relationship with a man. Not much is known about Szeth in this respect.

Kaladin and Szeth both have a lot of growing to do and conflicts to resolve before they're ready for a committed relationship with anyone. Szeth is only starting to form any sort of positive relationships with anyone after seven years of complete isolation. Kaladin needs to accept that he cannot be responsible for everyone or save everyone.

In conclusion, whatever their relationship turns out to be, I would love to see Kaladin and Szeth's dynamic develop over the next two books, and if they indeed do become a couple, it would make the most sense in the second arc, when they'll have more time to resolve their internal conflicts and the age gap will be more appropriate.

I think the scene between Kal and Laral in Oathbringer was kinda cute, hope we get somewhere from there. Sure, he's angry at her for not being a damsel in distress (really, Kal?) and she's angry at him for thinking it was that easy, and for have wanted her to be a damsel in distress (I don't blame her) but from the way Kal talked about her to Syl afterwards, it just seem like a childish kind of anger. I really hope those two see each other again to see what happens.

15 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

I think the scene between Kal and Laral in Oathbringer was kinda cute, hope we get somewhere from there. Sure, he's angry at her for not being a damsel in distress (really, Kal?) and she's angry at him for thinking it was that easy, and for have wanted her to be a damsel in distress (I don't blame her) but from the way Kal talked about her to Syl afterwards, it just seem like a childish kind of anger. I really hope those two see each other again to see what happens.

Laral is married to Roshone and seems pretty content with that...

2 hours ago, Gasper said:

It worked for Vin and Elend. 

Good point... though in that case Vin's homicidal hat trick was directed at people who were all trying to kill Elend so I don't think he was in a position to hold any of those against her.

Don't have anything else to add, just wanted to get to say 'homicidal hat trick'. xD

Haven’t read the entire thread but here are my 2 cents.

In my mind Kaladins story is the story of a soldier at war, far from home and everything he knows rising through the ranks, he is the qeantisential soldier, having a loved one back at home maybe, but’s that is not the focuse of his story. The focuse is the comraderies, the hardship and sacrifice.

I really don’t want a love story to get into the middle of that.

Having said that I’m torn between Tarah, who I think is a great contender since we’ve seen here mentioned in all three books and the fact that she might been sighted in Urithriu, and Jashna, who would make the most interesting alternative to letting Kal be a hero with some peace and quite ;-P

I haven't read OB yet (currently reading Edgedancer and starting OB tonight) but I say Adolin for Kaladin. :P
(One day, I might write a fic on those two, haha!)

In general, I'm not a big fan of romance (Adolin and Shallan in WoR kind of annoyed me) and I really do not believe in this "everyone needs a romantic match" thing, so I'd be perfectly fine with Kaladin staying single.
Like, as if he wouldn't mess up completely anyways, being the idiot he is. (Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Kaladin fan to ever exist, but he can be very stupid in some areas.)

Edited by Winds Alight

Im most fond of the idea of kal just not having much of a love life.

In an end of the world scenario, i simply feel there is too much to do. Especially  for someone like kal who is hell bent on protecting everyone he can in a completely  irrational  sense.

A love interest  in these circumstances  would be a burden. And one i dont think kal could deal with.

If he does find  a love interest, i think it would probably  be at the end of the series.

However the death of his love interest  would be an interesting  way to tempt kal into being odiums champion.

On a side note, as others have signed off on. Syl and kal is  a disturbing  pairing.

Personally  I kind of find the idea  of a deeply intimate  relationship  between a man and a woman *has* to be romantic or sexualized, to be offensive.

And this is ignoring  the idea that spren dont seem to have much of a concept of romance or sexualization 

My thoughts on Kaladin ships:

Shalladin: I actually shipped them for a while, but I think that Shafolin works out best for all of them and their fundamental needs. Shallan is a really unstable person and I think she really needed somebody stable there to help her out and hold on to while she figures herself out. She needs someone who has their own stuff figured out so they can support her and I think as much as Kaladin could have tried, it probably would have been detrimental to both of them if they were together in a romantic relationship. So I actually really think Shadolin works.

Syladin: As much as it sounds appealing, seeing as they have a really close friendship already, Syl kind of still acts like a child and it would feel... Weird to have them romantically involved with one another, so I'm just going to say that I don't think it's that great of an idea. And who says that just because you're friends with a girl means you need to be a couple. I think their relationship works just fine how it is, with Syl being there for emotional support, cheering him on, and dragging him out of his brood when necessary.

Jasnadin: I think they could maaaaybe work but to be honest I think their core values kind of clash a bit too much. Kaladin values emotions and people and Jasnah values cold logic and the hard truth. And there's the matter of the huge age gap. Also, Kaladin isn't comfortable being a lighteyes, let alone king. Plus, I think Jasnah is fine being single for the time being. Jasnah doesn't really need a romantic relationship.

Tarah- I actually would be pretty fine with this. She's probably a pretty stable person and seems chill. And it would be sweet to see the old lovers reunite, if a bit awkward. I really don't think Kaladin's love life would work out as a major plot point, so she'd do great. (Although if it does become one I'm sure Sanderson would make it awesome). Or maybe she got married while they were apart and that would be interesting to see them meet again with her having moved on. That would be interesting.

Altogether I think Kaladin needs someone who is stable, is chill, shares some of his core emotional values,  and also lets him have space and freedom when he needs to be a watcher at the rim. I don't think it would be that great as a huge plot point, but if he does get a relationship, I just really want it to work out for him.