[OB] Kaladin's love life ?

Stromblessed

When they were in shadesmar and syl had physical form, there were times where I got the impression of romantic undertones.

38 minutes ago, summers said:

Syl, I am not disturbed by that like others are, I just think its bad for them and sad. Only girl he can get his, is not actually a "girl" and is bonded to him so if the break up she dies. Nope.

well, that's focusing on the negative. syl is a sapient being and identifies herself as a girl, and for some people that's enough; it's really no different from interspecies romance in sci-fi, and at least in mass effect it was done (sometimes) in a believable way. As for their bond, you make it seem like one of those unhealty relationship where the couple is incapable of living without the other and a breakup is often followed by violence, but that's far from the case. at the beginning they were stuck together, mostly. So it's more like taking a housemate to split rent expences and eventually deciding to become a couple.

My thoughts about the main ships we’ve been talking about are this:

I do like Syladin, though many people don’t. Their interactions currently read as close, but not necessarily romantic-undertones, but the level of closeness they have is great. 

Jasnadin: I used to like it, but then I realized that it’s like a 15 year age gap and Jasnah just really doesn’t seem to me like she’s interested in relationships, or at least relationships with men. 

Tarah, well, she’s kinda gone and has her own life. If she is brought back, I wouldn’t mind it, but I think she’s just been brought up across the books because she is basically the only real relationship Kaladin’s ever had. I, personally, see it as more foreshadowing that Kaladin’s thinking about relationships, like Syl’s saying that he should be with someone. 

13 hours ago, Meghan1Q84 said:

Well on the bright side for all those Shalladin shippers, looks like they'll probably have plenty of um, time together. Just...years and...years of quality...time...in which to get to know each other...and em, share their deepest ...secrets...fears...pains? Literally screaming their deepest feelings to each other...geez

Hey, I never said it would be pretty. A relationship takes work, ya know? You've got to support one another through thick and thin (and torture).

16 hours ago, Ookla the StrooklaEZ said:

As for Kaladin getting a love interest, I don't like the idea of it. Kal doesn't seem like the kind of person who can give away enough of himself to ever truly love someone and form a meaningful relationship with them. Plus, he doesn't need someone to date anyway, not everyone has to get a partner.

I'm curious what makes you think this. Isn't his problem that he cares too deeply and gives away too much of himself to others, and doesn't look after himself? One of his character revelations in this book was that sometimes he needs to let people take care of him, instead of him trying to take care of everyone else. We haven't seen him in a real-time romantic relationship yet, but I don't see any reason to think he would be any different with a romantic partner than he is with his friends, family, and the people he works with. Plus there is this awesome quote by Rock in Chapter 37:

"The captain seemed intimidating to many outsiders. A perpetual storm for an expression, an intensity that made men wilt when it turned on them. But there was also an astonishing tenderness to this man. Kaladin gripped Hobber on the arm, and almost seemed to be tearing up."

2 hours ago, summers said:

Kaladins brooding storm face self attract certain type of women, but can't hold them. Maybe a women will help him grow but they would have to first deal with his many issues and his depressive states, the relationship would consist of him taking extreme measures to protect her and him breaking down all the time and her dealing with it. It would be a nightmare. I think he knows this. Its commented on when he says he has his bridgemen and does not need anyone else. 

I don't see any evidence in the text that he attracts a certain type of woman and can't hold them. We've seen three women he's been attracted to: Laral, a lighteyed girl who ended up in an arranged marriage with the city lord without much say in the matter. Tarah, a darkeyed scribe who took a job that was good for her family, and Kaladin chose to stay in the army with his men. Shallan, a lighteyed radiant who was betrothed to a prince and chose to proceed with the betrothal, while Kaladin realized she reminded him of his brother. Each of these women and circumstances seem fairly unique, so I don't think we can conclude that he attracts a certain type of woman. I also don't see any evidence that suggests he would be "breaking down all the time" trying to protect his partner. I'm not really sure what that means, unless you are referring to him freezing in battle when all of his friends were being killed. I don't think we can compare that to how he would behave in a relationship with a woman.

Apologies if this sounds too serious... I don't mean it to be! I'm trying to understand how you arrived at your conclusions. And I sometimes have an uncontrollable urge to take up for my man Kal. :D

15 hours ago, Rainier said:

New Heralds by the end of book 5, you heard it here first (I hope).

I've been having a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that this could happen. It seems to be a popular theory and I'm trying to brace myself just in case. Kind of puts a damper on discussions of happy romantic storylines when your beloved characters are sent to another planet to be tortured for years... :(

I just hate the idea of that horrible oathpact just eating new people's souls. I want it gone and Odium just plain defeated by maybe being joined into another shard but subservient to it. We don't want to get rid of Passion we just need to control it. The hate thing definitely needs control.

I think a romantic relationship with Syl is creepy.

Brandon already has a lot of characters so introducing new one just keeps making things more complicated. He could bring back Tarah by maybe having B4 rescue her during a battle with the Voidbringers, or she comes to Urithuru with other refugees or she turns out to be a proto Radiant. They're going to need a TON of new Radiants so why not folks we already know.

1 hour ago, GoddessIMHO said:

I want it gone and Odium just plain defeated by maybe being joined into another shard but subservient to it. We don't want to get rid of Passion we just need to control it. The hate thing definitely needs control.

Oh I absolutely believe this is what will happen...after book 10. After book 5 I expect the Fused to be driven off Roshar at high cost, namely the torture of the Heralds. And whatever 10/15/20 year gap Brandon decides upon will be the time it takes for one of them to break.

18 hours ago, Rainier said:

First, remember that Ishtar wasn't just a Herald, he conceived of and implemented the Oathpact. Second, recall that Dalinar just implemented his Bondsmith powers and surprised the Stormfather. Finally, imagine the list of characters we think might volunteer to submit to eternal torture for the sake of others.

It reads a lot like the list of POV flashback characters, doesn't it?

New Heralds by the end of book 5, you heard it here first (I hope).

I wonder if that would be the case even if Dalinar manages to unite the splinters of Honor. Presumably the Oathpact would then be between him and the new Heralds - but given what Dalinar has learned in the past few years on the timeline, would he even agree to it? It sounds like a temporary, "fool me twice" solution. Either way, I expect that humans from Roshar will be visiting Damnation no matter what happens.

On the Kaladin romance topic, I'm also expecting he'll walk the lonely road. Not everyone finds a suitable partner. As long as there's a cause to fight for, she will be his only lover.

2 hours ago, Starla said:

I'm curious what makes you think this. Isn't his problem that he cares too deeply and gives away too much of himself to others, and doesn't look after himself? One of his character revelations in this book was that sometimes he needs to let people take care of him, instead of him trying to take care of everyone else. We haven't seen him in a real-time romantic relationship yet, but I don't see any reason to think he would be any different with a romantic partner than he is with his friends, family, and the people he works with. Plus there is this awesome quote by Rock in Chapter 37:

"The captain seemed intimidating to many outsiders. A perpetual storm for an expression, an intensity that made men wilt when it turned on them. But there was also an astonishing tenderness to this man. Kaladin gripped Hobber on the arm, and almost seemed to be tearing up."

I don't see any evidence in the text that he attracts a certain type of woman and can't hold them. We've seen three women he's been attracted to: Laral, a lighteyed girl who ended up in an arranged marriage with the city lord without much say in the matter. Tarah, a darkeyed scribe who took a job that was good for her family, and Kaladin chose to stay in the army with his men. Shallan, a lighteyed radiant who was betrothed to a prince and chose to proceed with the betrothal, while Kaladin realized she reminded him of his brother. Each of these women and circumstances seem fairly unique, so I don't think we can conclude that he attracts a certain type of woman. I also don't see any evidence that suggests he would be "breaking down all the time" trying to protect his partner. I'm not really sure what that means, unless you are referring to him freezing in battle when all of his friends were being killed. I don't think we can compare that to how he would behave in a relationship with a woman.

Apologies if this sounds too serious... I don't mean it to be! I'm trying to understand how you arrived at your conclusions. And I sometimes have an uncontrollable urge to take up for my man Kal. :D

I've been having a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that this could happen. It seems to be a popular theory and I'm trying to brace myself just in case. Kind of puts a damper on discussions of happy romantic storylines when your beloved characters are sent to another planet to be tortured for years... :(

Its cool. Kaladin is a brooder, I think he would attract women who like brooding, based on how Shallans and her personalities thoughts about him in this book and WoR. he tries to save everyone he cares about and when he fails he freezes or falls into depression, sometimes just hearing bad news is enough, like when he realized the bridge crews were meant to be damage sponges. 

Yes we know Kaladin is really a big softy, that's what Tarah must have seen in him, but he has shown always to choose his men over romance and his depressive states are intense. Sticking with someone like that would be difficult.

Also if other book romances are to be followed, and seeing Kal is basically a medieval superhero, this woman will be put in a ton of danger for drama sake.

Kaladin-Jasnah, huh? Hmm... I- actually like it. Huh.

However- what about Kaladin-Venli? It's a bit of a crack pairing, yeah, but I wonder if it might work (provided they meet each other in the near future).

To be honest, though, I'm kinda hoping Kaladin doesn't end up in a relationship, if only so he can join the Greater Cosmere as a whole after the series ends without leaving someone behind. Crazy theory, yeah, but a fella can dream, right?

2 minutes ago, HipsterStick said:

Kaladin-Jasnah, huh? Hmm... I- actually like it. Huh.

However- what about Kaladin-Venli? It's a bit of a crack pairing, yeah, but I wonder if it might work (provided they meet each other in the near future).

To be honest, though, I'm kinda hoping Kaladin doesn't end up in a relationship, if only so he can join the Greater Cosmere as a whole after the series ends without leaving someone behind. Crazy theory, yeah, but a fella can dream, right?

I like the idea of Kaladin not settling down but after book 10 becoming a world hopper, maybe even going looking for a certain someone we meet in Oathbringer. I've always liked that idea for Kaladin who always wanted to travel and see the world. I just wonder how that would work with Syl, but maybe with a 5th ideal bond she could go with him. 

Hi everybody! This is my first real post so here goes nothing.

Kaladin developing a serious romance has one big obstacle to overcome IMO, his complete lack of a work-life balance. We see this in WoR when he has to be dragged kicking and screaming to ONE night out drinking with bridge four. Or later in OB when its Syl who has to push him to consider a romantic engagement with Shallan, where otherwise he would be content to forget about his attraction for her. The whole reason Tarah didn't work out was because he wasn't willing to compromise his work as a squad-leader. Thankfully Kal is surrounded by good friends that are more than willing to help him, but I expect we will see an arc where he learns to set aside time to just live before we get a serious relationship out of him. Hopefully that happens before the mid cycle break because I really want Kal to be happy. He deserves it.

Edited by I'mAStickFanClub

3 minutes ago, deddinty said:

I like the idea of Kaladin not settling down but after book 10 becoming a world hopper, maybe even going looking for a certain someone we meet in Oathbringer. I've always liked that idea for Kaladin who always wanted to travel and see the world. I just wonder how that would work with Syl, but maybe with a 5th ideal bond she could go with him. 

Maybe. I really hope Kaladin and Syl get to stay together.

Going after Azure, though- that'd be great. I just really want him to stay in the Cosmere.

There are so many interesting comments. What I would say is this--don't forget who our author is. Mr. Sanderson is a delightfully incurable romantic. In real life he has a heart for American troops, and I don't he would make a novel in which a classic PTSD survivor like Kal has no hope for love. 

Moreover, for Sanderson, love...or rather marriage as an expression of love, seems to be the pinnacle of a relationship between a man and a woman particularly when based on a foundation of friendship rather than a passing attraction. We are all super fans, you can come up with the examples as easily as I can. My point in saying this is that I don't think that the development of a romantic relationship over a period of years between Syl and Kaladin would ever be looked at as lesser than the bond they currently have--at least by our author. In fact as the only Spren/Human to have potentially make that union, well EVER, it would probably be something special. If it happens. I'm still not sure I want to see it, but I can see potential and a case to be made for it. 

Kaladin doesn't have a clear pairing after OB, in my opinion. Syladin, Kalalift, (Jasnadin) and Taradin seem like possible future pairings. I do think that Kaladin is going to get another romantic interest in Book 4, though, or at least he does develop romantically to a point where he can maintain a functional romantic relationship.

1 hour ago, summers said:

Also if other book romances are to be followed, and seeing Kal is basically a medieval superhero, this woman will be put in a ton of danger for drama sake.

27 minutes ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

Kaladin developing a serious romance has one big obstacle to overcome IMO, his complete lack of a work-life balance. We see this in WoR when he has to be dragged kicking and screaming to ONE night out drinking with bridge four. Or later in OB when its Syl who has to push him to consider a romantic engagement with Shallan, where otherwise he would be content to forget about his attraction for her. The whole reason Tarah didn't work out was because he wasn't willing to compromise his work as a squad-leader. Thankfully Kal is surrounded by good friends that are more than willing to help him, but I expect we will see an arc where he learns to set aside time to just live before we get a serious relationship out of him. Hopefully that happens before the mid cycle break because I really want Kal to be happy. He deserves it.

These are both cases to support my hope of a radiant power couple who can work out in the field and fight together. She doesn't need to be a damsel in distress or a scribe left behind in Urithiru. I'm sure the battle orders contain both male and female members, so there will be strong women radiants who are not in constant peril and can take care of themselves. Look at Jasnah in the Thaylen City battle, she kicked serious chull butt. Also note the male and female radiant pair in Dalinar's vision who travelled together to defend the townsfolk from the midnight essences.

Really, I just want to see a girl-radiant with serious fighting skills and big Moments of Awesome fighting voidbringers. If she's a companion to Kaladin and they can do really cool things with their combined surges and fighting skills, all the better.

19 hours ago, deddinty said:

On a lighter note than sending our hero to be tortured for a decade or two...

I would be highly amused if Kaladin ended up with Rock's 16 year old daughter, in a few years. The irony of Shallan pretending to be a horneater princess when they first meet, then Kaladin ending up with a real horneater princess. 

I could imagine her bringing him food and things, and him totally not getting it until bridge 4 has to point it out. 

I like it I like it.

Anyway on the subject of Tara I think it would be a very Brandoney plot twist if in book 4 Kaladin goes to visit the little chunk of land he has been assigned to as brightlord and find out that his head maid is very familiar.

1 hour ago, Starla said:

These are both cases to support my hope of a radiant power couple who can work out in the field and fight together. She doesn't need to be a damsel in distress or a scribe left behind in Urithiru. I'm sure the battle orders contain both male and female members, so there will be strong women radiants who are not in constant peril and can take care of themselves. Look at Jasnah in the Thaylen City battle, she kicked serious chull butt. Also note the male and female radiant pair in Dalinar's vision who travelled together to defend the townsfolk from the midnight essences.

Really, I just want to see a girl-radiant with serious fighting skills and big Moments of Awesome fighting voidbringers. If she's a companion to Kaladin and they can do really cool things with their combined surges and fighting skills, all the better.

I absolutely don't disagree with you - there is a definite appeal there! But based on how Kaladin reacts when any one of Bridge Four puts themselves into danger on the battlefield, I feel like he might have a very difficult time trusting them to be okay, and letting them go do their own (sometimes dangerous) things without him being there. :P 

Or maybe in SA4 and 5, he'll really start to accept he's not responsible for every time a loved one gets hurt. I hope so...

8 hours ago, Rainier said:

A relationship takes work, ya know? You've got to support one another through thick and thin (and torture).

*snickers* Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, that's been my past relationship experience too. I mean the torture part has looked more like sitting through Star Wars card tournaments that felt like they lasted 15 years and less like human barbecue pits, but soul crushing pain is relative:p

1 hour ago, Starla said:

Me too so, so badly. This is probably number one on my wishlist. Jasnah needs a squad, really. (I miss Jasnah already and can’t believe it will be years before we get to see her again :angry:) I’d be down with some new badass female Radiant emerging from nowhere and just blowing Kal away with her fighting skills. (Preferably one who was even a better fighter than him.) I don’t think I’d even need much emotional development with the pair in order to be satisfied. 

18 minutes ago, Ookla the Grey said:

Or maybe in SA4 and 5, he'll really start to accept he's not responsible for every time a loved one gets hurt. I hope so...

Fourth oath time...

Oh, just to throw my two cents on the topic, I’m quite certain Kal will get a serious love interest before these 5 books are over. Too many hints about how he should from Syl, and Brandon seems to like to do romance arcs. 

I recently said I liked Kalazure (seriously, the best thing about ships is giving them dumb names), but.... Syladin is better, I think. The two already have a relationship, and Syl seems like the sort of character who's intended to mature as the series goes on. She's like.... uh... Nynaeve. Sort of. In a different way. 

Anyway, I expect Syl to continuously annoy Kaladin about his love life until he does something about it. The thing is, I can't really see Kaladin choosing to spend time with really anyone. He liked Shallan, but he barely even noticed he did until Syl pointed it out. I can imagine Syl gradually realizing she has feelings for him and coming to conclusions from that. However.... how would that work, exactly? I mean, not to state the obvious here, but Syl is only physically manifested in the Cognitive realm. Could she transfer to the Physical permanently to be with Kaladin? On the one hand, that sounds like something that would happen, but on the other that seems way too cliche for a Brandon Sanderson book. On the third hand, which I have because I'm a Wanderer, I think this series is going to end with at least some character Worldhopping, and Kaladin is a likely candidate. This narrows his relationship down to Azure, because Vivenna can obviously worldhop (frankly, this is the likely one).... or Syl, because if Kal becomes a WH then he's definitely finding a way to take Syl.

So, my two cents are that Syladin has always appealed to me.

6 hours ago, SLNC said:

I still don't get Syladin... They literally melded their spirits... It doesn't get more intimate than that. A romance would just devalue that bond.

I do understand this sentiment, but the next quote kinda explains my feelings.

2 hours ago, Meghan1Q84 said:

There are so many interesting comments. What I would say is this--don't forget who our author is. Mr. Sanderson is a delightfully incurable romantic. In real life he has a heart for American troops, and I don't he would make a novel in which a classic PTSD survivor like Kal has no hope for love. 

Moreover, for Sanderson, love...or rather marriage as an expression of love, seems to be the pinnacle of a relationship between a man and a woman particularly when based on a foundation of friendship rather than a passing attraction. We are all super fans, you can come up with the examples as easily as I can. My point in saying this is that I don't think that the development of a romantic relationship over a period of years between Syl and Kaladin would ever be looked at as lesser than the bond they currently have--at least by our author. In fact as the only Spren/Human to have potentially make that union, well EVER, it would probably be something special. If it happens. I'm still not sure I want to see it, but I can see potential and a case to be made for it. 

Also, there's this WoB: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100-rbooks-ama-2015/#e3388

RobotAztec

can somene be born half-parshnedi or maybe even half-spren??

Brandon Sanderson

The Horneaters and the Herdazians are both descendants of Parshendi/human interbreeding.

Spren do not reproduce biologically. As such, the term "half-spren" is basically meaningless. You could argue that the Parshendi, when bonded to spren, are part spren--as are many creatures on Roshar, if they have a spren symbiosis.

Note the phrasing, emphasis mine. He did not say cannot, he specifically said do not. It feels like there might be something there. We know that gender has a very strong effect in the cognitive realm. And Syl is explicitly female, not femalen. And even then, they are shapeshifters. If they can do something as drastic as turn into leaves and flowers, changing some internal physiology doesn't seem out of the question. Of course, there's the fact that they already have a relationship more intimate than anything any other characters in universe have. They also have no problems with public displays of physical affection. A lot of times they are together on-screen in Shadesmar, they are in physical contact.

Would it be difficult? Yes. However, I do not think it is even close to impossible. And in fact there is a plausible way it could happen: Silverlight. We know there are entire populations of humans living in the Cognitive realm. I would not put it past Kaladin to settle in the Cognitive realm with Syl. I can picture them having a little cottage near a perpendicularity so he can regularly go back and forth for supplies. It's a lot easier to make work than people seem to realize.

A post on everything but the kitchen sink.

I have a question to pose. We all love Brightlord Brooding-eyes and want him to be happy one way or another. But if you think about it, the assassin in white is Kal's mirror image. So (and I include myself in this)– – why doesn't it organically occur to us to consider shipping Szeth?  Admittedly we are not given as many emotionally connecting moments with Szeth.... but the thought feels like considering the romantic possibilities for a robot. Which is totally dismissive of Szeth as a complex person with emotional needs that have gone unmet for an appalling length of time. Him hanging with Lyft as a sidekick just...worked because he projects as this broken, androgynous creature. Which again, is reductive to him as a character.

So. This is the littlest bit off track, but that's part of why I have haunted this thread the past day or two. It's interesting. Well that, and I hurt my back so I've been something of a captive (but grateful and very entertained!) participant.

Szeth's story arc is a foil and a mirror to Kaladin's, particularly in light of Szeth's oath to Dalinar. Is there anyone you would ship him with? Maybe a man? For myself I have to say no, unless Lyft grows into a crush on crazyface over the 15 year gap. What do you think? 

PS. Word Dreamstorm. Word Starla.  I want to see that too. Separately, I would really like to see a female rise through the ranks of the Alethi military in a traditional way and have her own storyline. There are so many female veterans in the world these days and absolutely zero stories about them. I want something like Lin...but with more body, more complexity to it. 

PSS. Nice post Fuzzy! Interesting Sandersonia to back it up.

PSSS. Can we all quietly agree that Kaladin's face on the cover of WOR is creepy? Also, I get the impression that Alethi eyes are meant to have epicanthic folds. They make a big deal of calling Shins "roundeyes" and say the same of some of the world hoppers. It's kind of interesting-- for a society so focused on eyes, there is very little focus on eyelashes or eye shape or size as a contributor to attractiveness. Thoughts?

Ok. So this post might be very random. So you've been warned.

14 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

well, that's focusing on the negative. syl is a sapient being and identifies herself as a girl, and for some people that's enough; it's really no different from interspecies romance in sci-fi, and at least in mass effect it was done (sometimes) in a believable way. As for their bond, you make it seem like one of those unhealty relationship where the couple is incapable of living without the other and a breakup is often followed by violence, but that's far from the case. at the beginning they were stuck together, mostly. So it's more like taking a housemate to split rent expences and eventually deciding to become a couple.

I hope I won't come across to harsh, I've seen a lot of people making the Syladin argument, but I really want to crush it.

Syl is a sapient being thanks to her connection with Kaladin, without him she would literally be just a mindless spren as she states so many times. This should be reason enough for them to not be together. If that is not, here is another one. It will be in unhealthy relationship because she will always be dependent on Kaladin, respecting his oaths in order for her not to die. It's not like in a marriage or a relationship when you say some oaths and if it doesn't work out you only have your conscience to bother you. This will mean that Kaladin will kill her and I don't like what that implies. If at any point Kaladin goes crazy and doesn't want to be a Windrunner he will be forced to keep his oaths or kill his lover/friend. It gives him levareage above her. Also, I never thought of things this way, but I remember reading a post about Syl's and Kal's relationship where they said that the way Syl acts towards Kal sometime is resembling manipulation. And that it's true, it's not that she's doing it with bad intentions, but she has the power of making him do what she wants sometimes, because of how their bond works. And that's not fair to either. Anyway, sorry you where the one to receive all my NO SYLADIN rant, but I think the moral implications of this transforming into a romantic connections are bigger than people have thought about.

12 hours ago, GoddessIMHO said:

I just hate the idea of that horrible oathpact just eating new people's souls. I want it gone and Odium just plain defeated by maybe being joined into another shard but subservient to it. We don't want to get rid of Passion we just need to control it. The hate thing definitely needs control.

I think a romantic relationship with Syl is creepy.

Brandon already has a lot of characters so introducing new one just keeps making things more complicated. He could bring back Tarah by maybe having B4 rescue her during a battle with the Voidbringers, or she comes to Urithuru with other refugees or she turns out to be a proto Radiant. They're going to need a TON of new Radiants so why not folks we already know.

This ! Yes! I don't like the idea of a few being sacrifieced for the greater good and we've already seen that the Oathpact didn't work. I personaly think the resolution to get rid of Odium will be a new one, not another Oathpact. Or at least I hope so, otherwise I will be let down. Kaladin already mentioned in his fight to Jasnah, that they have no reassurance it will work to kill and put the Heralds through torture again.

Agree with the Syl argument, disagree with the Tarah one. I don't know much about the relationship Tarah and Kaladin had, but it read to me as him looking only for someone to support him, rather than having an actual partner. Kaladin is not in the same place anymore, so I don't think they will fit. Also I think whoever is going to be Kaladin's romantic interest should bring something more to the story than that and I don't see Tarah doing anything more than that. It's like in the case of Adolin and Shallan, Adolin is not only Shallan's romantic interest, he has other role in the story as well.

9 hours ago, straits said:

On the Kaladin romance topic, I'm also expecting he'll walk the lonely road. Not everyone finds a suitable partner. As long as there's a cause to fight for, she will be his only lover.

It's not necessarily true and I will be dissapointed if his only role is to fight and protect others. I think a relationship will make his character more complex. Dalinar is the leader of the new Radiants and such a big role in leading the fight, Shallan is also an important pawn in the fight and they both have romantic relationships, so I don't think one necessarily excludes the other.

9 hours ago, summers said:

Its cool. Kaladin is a brooder, I think he would attract women who like brooding, based on how Shallans and her personalities thoughts about him in this book and WoR. he tries to save everyone he cares about and when he fails he freezes or falls into depression, sometimes just hearing bad news is enough, like when he realized the bridge crews were meant to be damage sponges. 

Yes we know Kaladin is really a big softy, that's what Tarah must have seen in him, but he has shown always to choose his men over romance and his depressive states are intense. Sticking with someone like that would be difficult.

I think he's on a path where he's slowly accepting that he can't save everyone and that's no reason for him not to enjoy his life. He has always chose his men over any other interests because he felt guilty and responsible for what happen to Tien and his group being killed because he didn't took the Shardblade after the killed Helaran. My belief is that the 4th ideal is difficult for him because he can't accept that yet, but I don't see him not advancing in his oath, so I think once he says it will be easier for him to open up to someone else. 

It's a dangerous world, gods are dead, others are coming down to Roshar, creatures that can't be killed are taking the lead and stone monsters rise. Do you think anyone is safe? Everyone is in danger, being close to Kaladin doesn't necesarilly mean more danger than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would say it would be even safer.

8 hours ago, HipsterStick said:

I can't see Kaladin and Venli and I hope the story will never go there. Venli right now is on a path of self discovering and changing ideas about the world. I can't see any scenario where they will work together well or be suited for eachother. Also right now I am more interested to see Venli become and develop on her own rather than in a relationship. Also, the Parsheni didn't strike me as sexual beings. There are many comments from their side, from different frorm of them, where they don't understand why humans are so consumed by lust and passion. That not considering that Venli's only friend and partner was killed by the same gods that she helped bring to power, so I think there will be a while until she can get over that, until she will open herself to someone, this is if she would even be interested. We've seen enough of Kaladin being his own person and going through different struggles so a relationship won't be something out of the blue.

8 hours ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

Hi everybody! This is my first real post so here goes nothing.

I agree with some of the points you made. I think it was easier for Kaladin to balance his work-personal life because he felt responsible to save everyone. Once his Superman/Saviour complex dies down a bit, I think he'll work good in a relationship. We actually see him thinking of Shalladn in a "non-friend" way before Syl mentions it. In the end of WoR he looks toward her when the big group was leaving the war camp+the chasm etc and through OB, not only when Syl mentions. His relationship with Tarah didn't work because he was another man then. Just like he couldn't just go ´back to his Laral crush.

Kal already has a great support system in friends and Syl and he's struggling to get his feet around living with this glooming darkness. He will never get rid of it, the kind of depression that Kal has is not something that can be cured, but you learn to control it and live your life around it. I'm under the impression he's slowly getting there and a romantic partner won't be his sole support or light, like Tarah was.

7 hours ago, Meghan1Q84 said:

My problem isn't with that being seen as less of an union, but about the moral implications of it, which I talked about further up in this comment. It don't think the mechanics of it are necessarily an impediment, but it's questionable how healthy that relationship will be.

7 hours ago, Vissy said:

Kaladin doesn't have a clear pairing after OB, in my opinion. Syladin, Kalalift, (Jasnadin) and Taradin seem like possible future pairings. I do think that Kaladin is going to get another romantic interest in Book 4, though, or at least he does develop romantically to a point where he can maintain a functional romantic relationship.

I know the argument or age has been made before, but I wonder if everyone would be ok with Kaladin and Jasnah's relationship if Kaladin is 35 and Jasnah 20. The same for Lift.. until Lift would be the appropriate age to date Kaladin, I assume their relationship will already have been developed and I can't see other implications in that rather than brother-little sister. It was creepy enough in Twilight werewolf put eyes on Bella's baby and decided that they are soulmates or whatever and waited for her to grow up. Of course it's just my opinion, but it's hard for me to get my head around the relationships that develop on a brother-sister premise.

7 hours ago, Starla said:

5 hours ago, Dreamstorm said:

I do think Kaladin needs someone that's strong enough to take care of herself and maybe take care of him once in a while. I, however have a problem with the idea that a woman strong and able to take care of herself if one that knows how to fight. I like seeing a woman that can fight her and be the savior once in a while (Tavi and Kitai, from Jim Butcher's Codex of Alera are a great example. She saves his chull so many times and it's fun to see) , but I am not sure that is only the type that would fit Kaladin. I think the best fit for him would be someone that challenges him intellectually and can hold her ground if front of him, not being intimidated. That of course can translate and result into a character that could also fight.

This is why I like Rysn :ph34r: She's adventurous, smart, stubborn and even if she's paralised, she still fought as best as she could. Ohh! I get way to excited for this!

5 hours ago, LewsTherinTalamon said:

Leaving aside the morality of a relationship with Syl (which I already said why I think it's bad), we don't even know if spren can have romantic feelings or how they are evolving depending on their bond. I've had a thought that spen might not have the same learning capacity as human or are limited in their emotions and ideas by the order they belong to. A human can understand why a lie is bad or necessary, but a spren, Syl in this case will never agree to one, because of her nature. So while I do think they are able to learn and develop to a certain extent, I doubt that involves romantic feelings as well.

4 hours ago, Meghan1Q84 said:

Nightblood! On a more serious note, cause I've taken this post way to seriously, I can't look as Szeth as having a relationship because nothing about him give that vibe. To me he seems more like a monk or a person brought up to be a weapon. Even though he's 35 I think he still has the mind of a child and I can only speculate at this point that he skipped a lot of the common social experiences most of the other characters or people have in general. He was bound to that stupid stone for more than half of his life and he was only in the service of others, so I think it's time for him to do his own thing and be awesome with Nightblood.

Sorry for the lengthy post and taking it to seriously, it's just one of those days where I don't have much to do at work :ph34r: