[OB] Kaladin's love life ?

Stromblessed

It's been a day since I finished Oathbringer so I guess my torch for Shalladin is still there. I do see myself shipping them with Adolin as a de facto OT3 but we'll see.

To be honest, how the romance in Oathbringer was handled kind of turned me off. I was game to ship Shadolin if only it had the same level of depth or intimacy that Shalladin had. Maybe if I saw more of Adolin's struggles (his reluctance to be a King, his insecurity over Kaladin) then I would've found his relationship with Shallan more interesting. I do see that Shadolin is the more 'healthier' option for Shallan (he lifts her up, understands her, was willing to step back for her to be happy) but I guess the reason why I'm still not sold on it is because I want more depth from it (maybe we'll find it in Book 4)

My theory is, Adolin will somehow get into a darker path and become Odium's champion. It's unfair of me to make Adolin a plot device because I do like him, but I think it'll be interesting how that situation would impact Kaladin and Shallan. Both have issues about other people hurting those they care about and I'll be thrilled to see how they'll bond over over losing Adolin.

As for Kaladin's love life....mmmmm....I kind of want the books to take a break from the whole romance plot. I mean the triangle was one of my favorite parts in WoR because how BS writes character relations is how I get to connect and feel the characters...but if SA is going to keep it's quality, I think it needs to take a break from the romance and look at the bigger picture. I'm up for Syladin to happen but not in a romantic sense...

I'm pretty sure Adolin's issues WILL get more play in book 4. I don't see him ever becoming Odium's champion, but he's going to go through a difficult patch due to fallout with his relationship with Dalinar over Sadeas, and also finding out what really happened to Evi.

I don't see Kaladin and Shallan ever getting together at this point even if Adolin dies or something, I think it would be too painful for both of them. Also they are just bad for each other. Kaladin would place Shallan in the situation of feeling like she needed to continue hiding the depths of her issues to be his emotional support, which is the exact last thing she needs.

They could work in a OT3 I guess. I've seen good OT3 fics of them (though if we're going for non-canon relationships involving these three I prefer Kadolin.).

Edited by CrazyRioter

10 hours ago, direktator said:

As for Kaladin's love life....mmmmm....I kind of want the books to take a break from the whole romance plot. I mean the triangle was one of my favorite parts in WoR because how BS writes character relations is how I get to connect and feel the characters...but if SA is going to keep it's quality, I think it needs to take a break from the romance and look at the bigger picture. I'm up for Syladin to happen but not in a romantic sense...

Syladin is already a thing if we are speaking in emotional but not romantic manner. 

10 hours ago, direktator said:

To be honest, how the romance in Oathbringer was handled kind of turned me off. I was game to ship Shadolin if only it had the same level of depth or intimacy that Shalladin had. Maybe if I saw more of Adolin's struggles (his reluctance to be a King, his insecurity over Kaladin) then I would've found his relationship with Shallan more interesting. I do see that Shadolin is the more 'healthier' option for Shallan (he lifts her up, understands her, was willing to step back for her to be happy) but I guess the reason why I'm still not sold on it is because I want more depth from it (maybe we'll find it in Book 4)

The romance in Oathbringer did kind of annoy me(I find that romance is not Sanderson's forte) but I have always rather like Shalolin because the relationship feels like something that can actually exist outside of Hollywood.

Edited by Karger

7 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

They could work in a OT3 I guess. I've seen good OT3 fics of them (though if we're going for non-canon relationships involving these three I prefer Kadolin.).

Do you mind sharing links for those OT3 fics? I would love to read it

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2017 at 11:09 PM, Zea mays said:

Kal and Rysn anybody? Anybody want to board the good ship Wondersail? (Or is it Wandersail? Hard to hear the difference on the audible version)

Anybody?

I was so hoping Rysn would get to meet and interact with the main radiants when they were all at TC. At least she sort-of met Dalinar.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:03 PM, Dryone_2 said:

Definitely Rhysladin. 

Just think of the business opportunities when you have a Windrunner as your hubby! And she could provide roots to Kaladin.  

Fully Blushing over here guys, wowie wow!

Seriously though I NEVER thought about this pairing (despite obviously lots of time thinking of both those buddies). Really looking forward to them meeting whenever that happens, even though I have a feeling that the story is never going to deliver Kaladin into a pairing that way, because there is just SO much in his story already. I don't have as much of a handle on what the future books have in store as it seems like a lot of people do, but even so, I think Kaladin is probably just married to pain. 

Thankfully we have fics, and boy oh BOY do we have fics for this. I also fully realize that this thread has cooled off in a major way, but storms I have such feelings about our sweet boy and it's so nice to pop open this thread and read everyone's wild speculations!

11 hours ago, Karger said:

My headcanon is that Rennarin is gay.

To keep with the topic of the thread, the Kaladin/Renarin ship is actually some of the sweetest and softest fic I've read in the SA universe, highly recommend. I think Renarin's name ("born unto himself") gives us a clue that we probably won't be seeing any meaningful pairings with him, at least for a long while, but I do also headcanon him as gay, if he ever gets around to it

On 8/12/2019 at 6:33 AM, Karger said:

My headcanon is that Rennarin is gay.

OK, I am afraid somebody has to be callous. They will want to marry him off quickly. Jasnah needs allies. And she will care little about what he wants. She was ready to kill him.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:
On 8/12/2019 at 0:33 AM, Karger said:

OK, I am afraid somebody has to be callous. They will want to marry him off quickly. Jasnah needs allies. And she will care little about what he wants. She was ready to kill him.

Vorinism is fine with gay people.  Only the oath matters.  As such Jasnah could secure a political alliance with a mach him and another politically important man(Im thinking a certain Theylen prince that R seems to like).  Also marriage is actually one of the areas where Jasnah has respect for freedom of choice. 

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Gotta say I agree with Karger here. Jasnah came up with the idea of Shallan and Adolin marrying, but it was Navani that rushed it along. Jasnah was worried that Shallan would be offended by the presumption, and offered to cancel the whole thing if Shallan was not ok with it. And that was a marriage that would benefit Jasnah's family as Shallan was a burgeoning Radiant (at the time Jasnah did not know about Dalinar and Renarin's radiancy). So I can't really see her forcing Renarin to marry someone. Add to that her love for Renarin, and personally I don't see it. 

On 11/19/2017 at 7:31 AM, Stromblessed said:

Now that Shalladin has fallen through , what's gonna be the direction of Kaladin's story ? Since that whole affair is done and Kaladin seems to have dumped his emotional baggage about Roshone , Tien and Amaram he's actually free to live like Syl wants him to.

It's obvious that he no longer has any feelings for Laral ( that whole chapter was kinda disappointing).

Maybe Brandon might pull a Dalinar-Navani in the later half of the series ? 

Of course most of us would hate to see anything happen to Adolin 

Personally I would love to see Kaladin and Jasnah get together . They're like perfect opposites of each other. Kaladin's decisions are driven by his emotions and passion while Jasnah makes cold , calculated decisions. Then there's that moment they shared in Urithru, we've never seen Jasnah banter with anyone like that. Or am I just reading too much into nothing? Of course there's just the tiny problem of the huge age gap xD

One of Jasnah's first inquiries when she and Shallan first reunited was about Kaladin, and it didn't seem entirely scholarly to me, the second time around. 

20 hours ago, Karger said:

Vorinism is fine with gay people.  Only the oath matters.

The problem is aristocracy, not Vorinism. Dynastic marriages include a rather primal motivation. You get your grandchildren onto or near the throne.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The problem is aristocracy, not Vorinism. Dynastic marriages include a rather primal motivation. You get your grandchildren onto or near the throne.

Societies with gay couples have found solutions to that problem.  Fostering children from a relative for example or using a surrogate mother.

Edited by Karger

11 hours ago, Westwood Swangin said:

One of Jasnah's first inquiries when she and Shallan first reunited was about Kaladin, and it didn't seem entirely scholarly to me, the second time around. 

Personally that falls into the same category for me as the whole theory that because she smiled when she countered Kaladin during their argument, means she is interested. She smiled the same exact way with Amaram, and she was holding her hand out glowing with stormlight ready to soulcast him if he swung his sword at her. So for me, I do not see anything more there. But to each their own. 

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

That still doesn't change that Jasnah as per her character would not force marriage onto anyone, especially her beloved nephew. If Renarin does not want to marry someone, Jasnah is not going to make him. 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Westwood Swangin said:

Could she simply be worried about her cousin getting hurt or Shallan getting involved in a scandal that would undermine her politically?

On 8/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pathfinder said:

nephew

They are cousins BTW.

Edited by Karger

On 8/14/2019 at 4:40 PM, Pathfinder said:

That still doesn't change that Jasnah as per her character would not force marriage onto anyone, especially her beloved nephew. If Renarin does not want to marry someone, Jasnah is not going to make him. 

She would not need to. We are talking about a man who quietly awaited his killer because he deemed himself corrupted. If Jasnah saw a political need, so would Renarin.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

She would not need to. We are talking about a man who quietly awaited his killer because he deemed himself corrupted. If Jasnah saw a political need, so would Renarin.

That is not what you originally said. You said:

On 8/13/2019 at 6:30 AM, Oltux72 said:

If you are now saying Renarin would decide to marry someone all on his own to advance the cause, that is an entirely different discussion than Jasnah being callous and caring little what Renarin wants. 

I posted this 2 years ago and I can't believe this thread is still active xD

Since then I've finished 2 more rereads of SA and I've changed my mind.

I agree with the comments that Kal isn't ready for a relationship yet. He should spend the next two books working on himself and getting past his issed. His romance arc should be saved for the second half of the series.

I still ship him with Jasnah though ♥️

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 0:31 AM, Alderant said:

I've seen countless times people trying to invalidate a relationship between Kaladin and Shallan by virtue of saying she reminds him of his brother. Every single argument fails to take into account that comparing someone to Tien is about the highest praise of a person Kaladin can give--Kaladin valued his brother above everything, and the loss of his brother is the primary reason what he is the way he is. To compare someone to the most important person in your life--and favorably so--puts them on an extremely high pedestal within your mind. This is what Kaladin did with Shallan, in my opinion. He put her up on a pedestal, equated her with Tien, and therefore completely unattainable. Why be upset when that person decides to go with someone else? It's only right. You're too far beneath them, and what you felt for them couldn't be love, because that's a concept you're not allowed to have.

He also compared Elhokar to Tien, just sayin' (probably the keyword that made people care when he got stabbed through his face)

On 8/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, Stromblessed said:

I agree with the comments that Kal isn't ready for a relationship yet. He should spend the next two books working on himself and getting past his issed. His romance arc should be saved for the second half of the series.

I agree with you mainly because this way kaladin will survive book 5 ending. :)

Edited by The traveller