Stromblessed

[OB] Kaladin's love life ?

549 posts in this topic

Yes. And therapy teaches coping mechanisms. Ways to recognize and deal with the problem. You can't change your brain chemistry. You can't fix the problem. 

A conditioned problem can be unlearned. A chemical problem can be dealt with. 

Therapy is by far the better course, but it still does not make the problem "go away." That is not a possibility as long as you have the same brain. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling something wrong when it comes to something that requires as much testing as this is not going to be solved in one single study; brain chemistry is complicated. That said, you are correct that this is a derailment. Let's get back to the topic of Kaladin's love life.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick question folks - with regard to Kaladin's love life as we're discussing here - anybody read more in depth interviews from Sanderson with regard to Kaladin and romance potential? Reason I ask is I'd come across this note where Sanderson says "Kaladin doesn't have a romance" in an part of the interview - https://www.jotdown.es/2016/12/brandon-sanderson-i-want-to-show-in-my-writing-that-there-is-something-inherently-good-inside-human-beings/

Obviously this is back from 2016, so maybe his POV on this has changed? But just curious. Maybe all our discussions are pointless on this topic, hah. :)

 

 

Edited by Razrback16
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Razrback16 said:

Just a quick question folks - with regard to Kaladin's love life as we're discussing here - anybody read more in depth interviews from Sanderson with regard to Kaladin and romance potential? Reason I ask is I'd come across this note where Sanderson says "Kaladin doesn't have a romance" in an part of the interview - https://www.jotdown.es/2016/12/brandon-sanderson-i-want-to-show-in-my-writing-that-there-is-something-inherently-good-inside-human-beings/

Obviously this is back from 2016, so maybe his POV on this has changed? But just curious. Maybe all our discussions are pointless on this topic, hah. :)

IIRC, consensus was, that he was only talking about the material out by then. That means TWoK and WoR. It would be weird for him to say something this definitive in a random interview with a Spanish site.

Besides, we now have this WoB to work with.

Quote

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there a lady in the future for Kaladin?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That is a Read and Find Out. Let's just say Kaladin is historically not that great on relationships but he has not given up on trying.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/358-fanx-2018/#e10767

Edited by SLNC
5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Razrback16 said:

Ya, I think at minimum that's probably what we'll see initially. Since finishing OB, I've felt that Gavinor will be a likely catalyst to push Jasnah and Kaladin together a bit at least in terms of interaction. Based on their previous interactions, while they probably don't currently "like" each other, they probably "respect" each other. So they would probably not "choose" to interact much with each other given the option, but may be forced to when adding Gavinor into the equation.

Or I could be completely wrong about everything. Hah. Welcome to complete speculation on stories. :D

Excellent post i totally agree with. Taking out Sanderson's intentions we know nothing about, id say that would be an essential way to develop Jasnah and Kaladin relationships.

I may turn out to be completely wrong when Book 4 will come out, but right now im pretty sure that Kaladin will see Gavinor as a chance to redeem himself after he couldnt protect Elhokar. He also witnessed Elhokar's flaws, and as a smart guy and good mentor, would try to teach Gavinor what his father didnt learn originally. And Book 4 will definitely contain some Kaladin/Gavinor scenes, even if there wont be a huge timeskip.

As for Jasnah, well, Elhokar was her brother, and Gavinor is her nephew. It would be essential for her to have some interactions with him, and thus, probably, with Kaladin. I can even imagine how Navani or/and Dalinar tell her "Well, dear, we totally believe you will take care of your nephew. Good luck" at some point of the story.

There are so much possibilities actually. I can imagine Jasnah being indifferent towards Gavinor, while Kaladin spend some good time with him, training or telling fairy tails, and then Dalinar and Navani tell Jasnah to care about Gavinor and she fails, and then she decide to ask Kaladin for help and this kind of potential situations would create some really good humorous moments.

Edited by Harbour
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harbour said:

Excellent post i totally agree with. Taking out Sanderson's intentions we know nothing about, id say that would be an essential way to develop Jasnah and Kaladin relationships.

I may turn out to be completely wrong when Book 4 will come out, but right now im pretty sure that Kaladin will see Gavinor as a chance to redeem himself after he couldnt protect Elhokar. He also witnessed Elhokar's flaws, and as a smart guy and good mentor, would try to teach Gavinor what his father didnt learn originally. And Book 4 will definitely contain some Kaladin/Gavinor scenes, even if there wont be a huge timeskip.

As for Jasnah, well, Elhokar was her brother, and Gavinor is her nephew. It would be essential for her to have some interactions with him, and thus, probably, with Kaladin. I can even imagine how Navani or/and Dalinar tell her "Well, dear, we totally believe you will take care of your nephew. Good luck" at some point of the story.

There are so much possibilities actually. I can imagine Jasnah being indifferent towards Gavinor, while Kaladin spend some good time with him, training or telling fairy tails, and then Dalinar and Navani tell Jasnah to care about Gavinor and she fails, and then she decide to ask Kaladin for help and this kind of potential situations would create some really good humorous moments.

Gavinor can help Jasnah see inside of the "big picture" to who that picture affects, while Kaladin will be forced to see the "big picture" in terms of Gavinor and who he needs to become, not just what the toddler represents to him.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I can see Kaladin and Jasnah building a really solid relationship - if not a romance. And I'm already a really big shipper of the two!

...and yet, Tarah recently has been providing a really attractive pull. Maybe because she's so full of mystery at the moment. Maybe because she's the new "Kaladin's Homecoming" moment for us. I can't say why just yet, but I feel like once these two interact, I'll be able to sort it all out.

...or maybe Jasnah and Kaladin just co-parent really well while Kaladin gets with Tarah...?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I wonder outside of the obvious Gavinor "connection" - will Bridge 4 be guarding Jasnah like they have been for Dalinar, Navani, Elhokar, etc. previously? That could be yet another potential interaction. Obviously Jasnah can take care of herself, but so could Dalinar, so to me, that's another area where potential Kaladin / Jasnah interaction could occur - he would likely need to meet with her to find out what her needs were with protection as far as where she'd be heading on any given day, etc. so he could ensure enough of his squires and the right ones were assigned to her. Just thinking out loud.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bridge 4 isn't even on guard duty anymore. They're supposed to be doing Windrunner things

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Razrback16 said:

One thing I wonder outside of the obvious Gavinor "connection" - will Bridge 4 be guarding Jasnah like they have been for Dalinar, Navani, Elhokar, etc. previously? That could be yet another potential interaction. Obviously Jasnah can take care of herself, but so could Dalinar, so to me, that's another area where potential Kaladin / Jasnah interaction could occur - he would likely need to meet with her to find out what her needs were with protection as far as where she'd be heading on any given day, etc. so he could ensure enough of his squires and the right ones were assigned to her. Just thinking out loud.

Yep, that another solid possibility. I can even imagine the scene in the beginning of the Book where Jasnah comes to Kaladin to tell him about annoying bodyguards that always follow her in the distance, and Kaladin in typical Kaladin's manner tells her "that its just his duty and he doesnt actually care about what she think". Sounds like another way to build the conflict.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harbour said:

Yep, that another solid possibility. I can even imagine the scene in the beginning of the Book where Jasnah comes to Kaladin to tell him about annoying bodyguards that always follow her in the distance, and Kaladin in typical Kaladin's manner tells her "that its just his duty and he doesnt actually care about what she think". Sounds like another way to build the conflict.

Jasnah shows up to one of their cookouts and speaks the Unkalaki language. She realizes that Rock's lying about certain stuff and goes to confront him and then later Kaladin, only to realize that Kaladin (and the closest members of Bridge 4) already knew whatever he's hiding. But like Teft, the best thing they can do is be there for him and be ready for Rock to reach out to them. ...it would probably end with Jasnah thinking Bridge 4 is stupid for not addressing the problem directly though...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe, that there are things, that Kaladin can learn from Jasnah. In an odd way, Jasnah's way of logical thinking could maybe even be therapeutic for him. Especially in how he keeps blaming himself for things, that aren't his fault, by providing a different perspective. On the flip side, Jasnah could help with being a bit less logical sometimes. I don't want to imply, that Jasnah is completely emotionless, I think her care for her family is a good sign of that.

That short scene in OB, where Kaladin challenges Jasnah is one I really liked. I do hope we get more of that. Kaladin and Jasnah probably will often be at odds, but I think conflict and getting challenged is a very good way to achieve character development. And also relationship development, after the aforementioned scene in OB, Jasnah gives a small smile after Kaladin challenged her. I think, that she appreciates getting challenged and Kaladin is one of the few people, that aren't afraid of her.

But yeah, even if they don't develop romance... I want to see more of them together. Maybe Gavinor will be a catalyst for that, yes. I already entertained the idea, that Kaladin will care a lot for Gavinor because of his perceived failure towards Elhokar. Perhaps even become somewhat of a father figure. I don't know how involved Jasnah will be in raising Gavinor though. There still is the possibility that Navani, being his grandmother, and Dalinar will take up guardianship.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still say Venli would go best with Kaladin, and I will defend that theory until Books 4 or 5, or a WoB, say otherwise :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've read through (most) of this thread and holy socks, people. We nerds really do develop emotional attachments to fictional characters (I know someone who has literally claimed Kaladin and Renarin as her husbands, actually, so maybe you guys aren't so bad). 

Despite the fact that I'm inexperienced with real relationships like those you guys are talking about, I do have a whole load of third-person experience, and I do know quite a bit in theory (I also like to pretend I'm emotionally stable), so my input may be worth something.

Kaladin would probably not make a good partner, unless the person he's in a relationship with is someone more grounded and stable than he, which really opens up his options. I don't care about age boundaries when you talk about adults, so I think Jasnah and Kaladin is plausible. I also think Szeth and Kaladin is plausible, if only because that would be the funniest relationship of all time (like the two guys from White Christmas, where one of them is always reminding the other that he nearly died because of him). That would hilarious, but, now that I think of it, probably not realistic. Szeth and Kaladin would just sink each other into further states of depression every time they meet. 

Jasnah and Kaladin, though... their shared sense of duty and responsibility... yes, that could work.

Edited by AxeliustheGreat
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wheezing right now at the idea of Szeth and Kaladin as a couple.

Like. Give me the crackship fic this would become. Please.

*howls with laughter*

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

I am wheezing right now at the idea of Szeth and Kaladin as a couple.

Like. Give me the crackship fic this would become. Please.

*howls with laughter*

Kaladin grabs Szeth's head, holding it delicately in his rough manly hands.

"Szeth, Szeth when I stare long enough, I can see myself in you. And sometimes who I see, well it frightens me."

Szeth takes Kaladin's hands, "you don't have to be frightened of me or yourself, we could be together. We could found a new order, one dedicated to both Wind and Breaking. We could be together forever. We could unite each other, as the Windbreakers."

"...No I mean if I catch it in just the right light I can literally see my reflection in your head. Almighty I'm an ugly SoB."

Szeth looks away, unshed tears in his eyes, "oh. I see. Nevermind..."

13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

Kaladin grabs Szeth's head, holding it delicately in his rough manly hands.

"Szeth, Szeth when I stare long enough, I can see myself in you. And sometimes who I see, well it frightens me."

Szeth takes Kaladin's hands, "you don't have to be frightened of me or yourself, we could be together. We could found a new order, one dedicated to both Wind and Breaking. We could be together forever. We could unite each other, as the Windbreakers."

"...No I mean if I catch it in just the right light I can literally see my reflection in your head. Almighty I'm an ugly SoB."

Szeth looks away, unshed tears in his eyes, "oh. I see. Nevermind..."

I just have to say that I love this so much.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dalakaar said:

Kaladin grabs Szeth's head, holding it delicately in his rough manly hands.

"Szeth, Szeth when I stare long enough, I can see myself in you. And sometimes who I see, well it frightens me."

Szeth takes Kaladin's hands, "you don't have to be frightened of me or yourself, we could be together. We could found a new order, one dedicated to both Wind and Breaking. We could be together forever. We could unite each other, as the Windbreakers."

"...No I mean if I catch it in just the right light I can literally see my reflection in your head. Almighty I'm an ugly SoB."

Szeth looks away, unshed tears in his eyes, "oh. I see. Nevermind..."

Now that's what I call quality content.

:lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HA! can't belive I'm out one year and it feels like i never left haha :D I'm telling you ! The more I think about, the more I'm making the case for Kaladin and Rysn :ph34r: one of these days I'll go back to ignoring all real life stuff and probably write a 10 page essay on why they would be great together ! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things. 

1. I don’t think Kaladin needs a partner. I’m not opposed to it, I kind of like Tarah as the best option. He ends up saving her during a battle or  is part of the land he inherited or something like that. I don’t like Jasnah, she seems too serious and seems like she has chosen not to be in a relationship. I feel that Syl and Kaladin is just wrong. The people here have good points for Slyadin, but she seems so young. The captain from OB said something like her body is old but her mind is young because she was unconscious for so long, and I think it shows. In too many ways she seems like a child at times, and a romance between the two seems of to me. Also, it could be a character we haven’t met yet. To my original point though, he doesn’t need one, though. He has his duty as a Radiant and Soldier to be enough. It will be interesting to see what unfolds. 

2. I think the new Oathpact will occur after book 5 to give the world a chance to find a way to defeat Odium. I see Jasnah and Shallan staying behind with most of the other knights to research a way to stop Odium, while Kaladin, Dalinar, and Szeth for sure becoming new Heralds, along with maybe Venli, Renarin or, possibly Lift, though probably not. I see Jasnah stepping down as queen to focus on research, and Adolin steps into the role. While I don’t see Shallan swearing to the New Oathpact, if she were to, I feel like Shallan and Kaladin would end up together. I don’t feel like that will happen, though. Then one will break, and book 6-10 will end up with another desolation, but in the end, Odium is defeated, whether it’s him being destroyed or becoming part of Unity, I can’t say. Thanks for reading my two cents on the subject.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who thinks that as he as right now Kaladin would have trouble being a good partner?  He is prone to boughts of depression and he has tons of responsibilities.  That in addition to the fact that most people view him as either a god or a demon that drastically shrinks his dating pool of woman who can talk to him as an equal.  Finally no one we know about is actually a suitable partner for him.

As to any other proposition. Kaladin has not seen Tarah in years and for all we know she could be married with a kid by now.  Syl is a spren(I don't think that that is going to work). As to Jasnah I am interested in the two of them forming a working relationship but she is almost twice his age and seems to disprove of marriage.  He is Lyn's military superior (that would make their relationship inappropriate).  Finally I don't think Shallin is breaking up and I am pretty sure Kal is not bi.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Karger said:

Am I the only one who thinks that as he as right now Kaladin would have trouble being a good partner?

Not at all. He's got things to deal with. Unfortunately the same could be said of Shallan, and that hasn't stopped her.

16 minutes ago, Karger said:

He is prone to boughts of depression and he has tons of responsibilities. 

He can learn coping mechanisms, and he seems to be doing better in that regard, but depression doesn't just end. 

I want Kaladin to be happy. I hate that most people seem to think that requires a relationship. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 4:51 PM, Dalakaar said:

Kaladin grabs Szeth's head, holding it delicately in his rough manly hands.

"Szeth, Szeth when I stare long enough, I can see myself in you. And sometimes who I see, well it frightens me."

Szeth takes Kaladin's hands, "you don't have to be frightened of me or yourself, we could be together. We could found a new order, one dedicated to both Wind and Breaking. We could be together forever. We could unite each other, as the Windbreakers."

"...No I mean if I catch it in just the right light I can literally see my reflection in your head. Almighty I'm an ugly SoB."

Szeth looks away, unshed tears in his eyes, "oh. I see. Nevermind..."

This is pure atium.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 9:03 PM, Calderis said:

Not at all. He's got things to deal with. Unfortunately the same could be said of Shallan, and that hasn't stopped her.

Shallan probably benefits from a relationship that expects her to be honest and that is loving enough to accept her as she is.  Also Adolin makes her happy something that she has had a hard time being while on her own.  Kaladin is happiest when he can make someone else happy or safe and he does that best in his current position as a bodyguard.  Also as much as I hate to say this in his current state I doubt that Kaladin would make a particularly good partner.  He has not yet learned to respect the decisions of others.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.