[OB] Kaladin's love life ?

Stromblessed

Now that Shalladin has fallen through , what's gonna be the direction of Kaladin's story ? Since that whole affair is done and Kaladin seems to have dumped his emotional baggage about Roshone , Tien and Amaram he's actually free to live like Syl wants him to.

It's obvious that he no longer has any feelings for Laral ( that whole chapter was kinda disappointing).

Maybe Brandon might pull a Dalinar-Navani in the later half of the series ? 

Of course most of us would hate to see anything happen to Adolin 

Personally I would love to see Kaladin and Jasnah get together . They're like perfect opposites of each other. Kaladin's decisions are driven by his emotions and passion while Jasnah makes cold , calculated decisions. Then there's that moment they shared in Urithru, we've never seen Jasnah banter with anyone like that. Or am I just reading too much into nothing? Of course there's just the tiny problem of the huge age gap xD

Edited by Stromblessed

I was thinking that he may have a while of not having a love interest - not all characters need to have one. Though I know Syl wants him to find one.

Kaladin and Jasnah would certainly be an interesting pairing - though it is quite an age gap AND I had the impression that Jasnah was someone who wishes to stay single.

Jasnah in my opinion is too radical adept of logic and cold calculations. Kaladin need someone who can use logic better than him but tone it down a bit, living on the the same mental wave. Thats why i always find Shallan a good partner for him. She is quite a good at logic, but also pretty empathetic for Kaladin to understand her and not be irritated.

If Shalladin wont happen in the following books, then i wish him to find Jasnah-Lite.

Or, if Jasnah will become a little bit more empathetic, then she may suit Kaladin too.

6 minutes ago, BarrileteCosmico said:

KalAzure doesn't seem impossible, in that she's the only other available age appropriate woman he seems to have an existing rapport with. 

We don't exactly know if they are around the same age. It has obviously been many years since Warbreaker. Also iirc Kal and Vivenna didn't exactly part on the best terms

9 minutes ago, BarrileteCosmico said:

KalAzure doesn't seem impossible, in that she's the only other available age appropriate woman he seems to have an existing rapport with. 

We don't know how much time passed since Warbreaker, so we have no idea how old she is. She could be a centuries old returned by now. I admit it's unlikely, as she seems to remember her royal upbringing, but it's not impossible.

13 minutes ago, Stromblessed said:

Yeah Shallan does seem to think Jasnah isn't interested in men. 

But I can't honestly think of anyone else we know who is a good match for Kaladin. Especially since Laral insist on being the type of lighteyes Kal hates on top of being married to Roshone.

Maybe Brandon will introduce a nice female Windrunner, though that would seem a bit boring.

Just now, Stromblessed said:

We do have Lyn though.

Afaik Lyn is named after a real-life person, would seem a bit weird to pair her with a main character, I think. Though the idea came to mind, yes.

Right now, I don’t think there is an age appropriate main character for Kaladin that is out of the creepy zone.  I’ve heard that a  general rule of thumb is that the youngest you can date and not be creepy is your age / 2 + 7. 

(Assuming year at the end of Oathbringer is 1175 and Roshar year is 1.1 Earth years), here are the ages of our main radiants and their min max non-creepy dating range.

Kaladin 24 (19 - 34)

Jasnah 40 (27 - 66)

Lift. 16 (15-19)

Adolin 27  (21 - 40)

Shallan 21 (17-28)

Shallan is on the lower edge of Adolin’s range but acceptable.  Lift is too young for Kaladin.  Jasnah is too old.

Six years from the end of Oathbringer, things change some.  

Kaladin 30 (19 - 46)

Jasnah 46 (30 - 78)

Lift. 22 (18-30)

Adolin 33  (21 - 30)

Shallan 27 (21-40)

Kaladin can now date either Lift or Jasnah without it being  creepy.  Lift is on the low end of his range and Jasnah is on the upper end.

Maybe Kaladin should stay single for a while?

Edited by Jerich

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@Jerich I think perhaps, you were thinking about this.

dating_pools.png

It’s a great rule of thumb (and it’s XKCD approved. What’s not to like?). 

On Kaladin’s relationships - he’s really emotionally close to Syl. Now, that’s more brother/sister but it might be a hurdle for potential romantic interests and it shows that he doesn’t really need a romantic partner. Like Jasnah, he’s got a world to save. Romance isn’t something he really should be worrying about. 

Now, if we are shipping him it’ll be interesting. On-screen possibilities include Azure (Vivenna) and Lyn, both of whom are the right age, and show character traits that would be attractive/compatible with our boy Kaladin. There’s also Tarah, who is still around, presumably alive somewhere. 

Problems with those:

Azure/Vivenna might be the right age. She might also be centuries old. We aren’t sure. She’s also here for other reasons, and might not want to stay or get entangled on Roshar. 

Lyn seems a more minor character to show the breaking down of Alethi social norms in the Radiants. If she’s romantically interested in men, it’s  more likely to be a minor character (like Skar). Plus she’s named after someone in real life. 

Tarah - well, we don’t even know if she’s alive. Plus there’s the whole ‘he turned her down and never responded to her letters’ thing. 

11 minutes ago, Erunion said:

Tarah - well, we don’t even know if she’s alive. Plus there’s the whole ‘he turned her down and never responded to her letters’ thing. 

The important thing is why:

He never sent responses. Because he was stupid, because he didn’t understand. Because men make mistakes when they’re young and angry.

She was mentioned in the first two books and was in a flashback in the third. That will lead somewhere, the question is where.

Syladin - after the war they retreat to Shadesmar and live as Princess and Prince-consort of Honorspren...

hmmm might be too wierd tbh but we all know if Kaladin found a human version of Syl they would be perfect for each other.

Not that I think he needs someone but I would like to see him with someone if only to bring him out of his perpetual brood.

2 minutes ago, Egomere said:

Not that I think he needs someone but I would like to see him with someone if only to bring him out of his perpetual brood.

That is exactly why he needs someone human. Spren don't really understand human emotions.

7 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

She was mentioned in the first two books and was in a flashback in the third. That will lead somewhere, the question is where.

I personally like the idea of Tarah as a Kaladin's romantic partner (again) since I don't believe that every romance has to be a major plot point. It's not central to every character, and Kaladin values other things, like his families: by birth, Bridge 4, the Kholins, and Syl. These people and his love (of a different type) are central to his arc, they're what matters to him and they are the people he wants to protect most of all. His father-son relationship with Dalinar is central to the plot of Oathbringer, he wants to protect him again and that's what drives him through Shadesmar...

I guess what I'm saying is that while Kaladin is completely able to fall in love and feel attraction towards others, that is not that important to his character arc. So, I don't see it as playing a central role.

However, if...I guess my favorite ship is Azure x Kaladin, but Vivenna is a worldhopper and probably too old for him, though personality wise, they work. They're shown to be a lot alike, and worldhoppers are weird anyways age-wise so I don't apply the same age limits to people like them...

1 minute ago, Storyspren said:

Team Syladin reporting in.

Carry on then.

I'm actually partial to this ship, except for the fact that I just can't get past the fact that Syl acts like such a child. It makes it feel plain wrong. And I'm not even sure I would want that to change because I love that about her. If she ever matured (and it would have to be a gradual change), then I'd warm to the ship more.

As for Tarah, I agree with you guys and think that she'll likely make an appearance in the next couple of books. I personally hope she doesn't become Kaladin's love interest again though, simply because I found her boring. Plus it would go along with BS's well worn trope of characters ending up with their first love. 

1 minute ago, SLNC said:

That is exactly why he needs someone human. Spren don't really understand human emotions.

Except I do think that Syl is more 'human' than most spren. It maybe because of how she's been in the series so far but yes I think he needs a human - as I said a huamn Syl would be perfect.