[OB] Skybreaker Oaths.

Calderis

I find it very interesting that the Skybreaker Oaths are not uniform, but still have a set structure. It's another variation of what we've seen. 

1st: Universal Ideal. 

2nd: The Ideal of justice. This is the "law before all else we've seen, only in Szeth's version it has the caveat cc until I find a more perfect ideal. Which mean that this oath has been superceded by his next. 

3rd: Szeth swears to follow the will of Dalinar. This oath submits them to an external guide, whether it is a person, or a legal structure. 

4th: The Ideal of Crusade. This oath requires the Skybreaker to take on a personal quest. Which mean that it will be different for each individual. 

5th: The Ideal of Law. To become the embodiment of law and truth. The only Skybreaker to currently be there is Nale... Which puts the nature of the ideal into question... 

Prior to this, we'd seen the Windrunners, who seem to have a set oaths that vary slightly, and Lightweavers, who have completely individualized self truths. 

The Skybreakers introduce a structured but individualized nature that opens up more variety. 

I'm curious to see if every order functions in one of these three veins, or if every order is different. 

I would say it's likely we've put a bit too much weight on the actual Words and not the meaning behind them. With the Windrunners, we have suffering oaths that also seem to follow a similar structural pattern:

1. Universal Ideal. L>d, s>w, j>d.
  2. Ideal of Protection. Who will the Knight defend?
  3. Ideal of Emotion. The Knight will protect despite their current emotional state.
  4. ??
  5. ??

I have a personal theory that the Words matter even less than this. If the spren agrees to the oath, then it's a level up for the Radiant. This is why it was important for Ishar to make all surgebinders (and spren) agree to a codified set of rules. Otherwise, you'd have surgebinders swearing some pretty inane oaths (e.g. "Sure, I only eat chouta on days that end in 'y' ... Thanks for the armor, naco!").

13 minutes ago, Salkara said:

I would say it's likely we've put a bit too much weight on the actual Words and not the meaning behind them. With the Windrunners, we have suffering oaths that also seem to follow a similar structural pattern:

1. Universal Ideal. L>d, s>w, j>d.
  2. Ideal of Protection. Who will the Knight defend?
  3. Ideal of Emotion. The Knight will protect despite their current emotional state.
  4. ??
  5. ??

I have a personal theory that the Words matter even less than this. If the spren agrees to the oath, then it's a level up for the Radiant. This is why it was important for Ishar to make all surgebinders (and spren) agree to a codified set of rules. Otherwise, you'd have surgebinders swearing some pretty inane oaths (e.g. "Sure, I only eat chouta on days that end in 'y' ... Thanks for the armor, naco!").

It seems to me that the Fourth ideal is VERY heavily hinted at being the "Ideal of Triage" or something. The Ideal of chosing whom to protect after some utilitarian fashion or something, because it is impossible to save everyone. And that is why Kaladin couldn't say the Fourth one. He cannot fathom not trying to save everyone.

• Chaos locked this topic