Shardplate?

17th Splinter

"Instead he found Jasnah Kholin, looking completely nonplussed. A glow faded around her, different from the smoke of her stormlight. Like geometric shapes outlining her"

This has stuck out to me. I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this seems a lot like what shardplate might look like. Any thoughts?

I think we have several Radiants who are very close to Plate, and by their actions, and attitudes, we're seeing them draw the building blocks of that Plate to themselves. Kaladin attracting windspren, Shallan creationspren, Dalinar gloryspren, etc.

Jasnah is the most accomplished Radiant at the moment. She knows that at some point of the progression Shardplate comes.  Now, this can be second-hand knowledge, but I think that it may be first-hand knowledge.   At some point someone needs to ask Brandon about the number of Ideals she has spoken.

[Edit] Most accomplished save for Skybreakers. 

Edited by emailanimal

I just read that as her having used transportation. At the end of WoR, when she appeared there was a pillar of light around her, filled with geometric shapes, that both faded. 

Glow and geometric shapes... And dudes falling from the sky. 

That was my take anyway. 

3 hours ago, emailanimal said:

Jasnah is the most accomplished Radiant at the moment. She knows that at some point of the progression Shardplate comes.  Now, this can be second-hand knowledge, but I think that it may be first-hand knowledge.   At some point someone needs to ask Brandon about the number of Ideals she has spoken.

My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don’t think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people? —From drawer 10-12, sapphire

Oathbringer Chapter 86 "that other may stand"

don't think she can alredy sworn the four ideal.

Edited by Fulminato

5 hours ago, MoS03 said:

I think we have several Radiants who are very close to Plate, and by their actions, and attitudes, we're seeing them draw the building blocks of that Plate to themselves. Kaladin attracting windspren, Shallan creationspren, Dalinar gloryspren, etc.

Oh I really like this idea. Specific spren being drawn to each order of the KR and forming their Shardplates. I've been thinking about why so many Gloryspren in particular were drawn to Dalinar at his semi Ascension and why the windspren kept being drawn to Kaladin so much and this might explain both.

Shardplates of different orders of the KR do seem to have different glows as seen in Dalinar's visions

I think that's been the strongest theory on Plate anyone has put forth yet. It's been the popular theory since WoR I think?

To expand, Lifespren for Edgedancers, logicspren? for Elsecallers. We've seen Radiants attract large amounts of these, except the logicspren, that's more of a guess.

Have Renarin or the Dustbringer/Releaser ever attract large amounts of a particular spren?

3 minutes ago, MoS03 said:

I think that's been the strongest theory on Plate anyone has put forth yet. It's been the popular theory since WoR I think?

To expand, Lifespren for Edgedancers, logicspren? for Elsecallers. We've seen Radiants attract large amounts of these, except the logicspren, that's more of a guess.

Have Renarin or the Dustbringer/Releaser ever attract large amounts of a particular spren?

Well we don't even See Renarin's spren till part 5 and we've only heard mention of the Dustbringers spren.

We will probably see shardplates in the next book I'm guessing. Maybe as late as the Avalanche

22 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

Pretty sure she has. Otherwise Shallan is one step ahead of her, but if you look at the control of Stormlight, there is still a significant difference.

shallan don't have her plate, nor jasnah or kaladin.

the progression of the lightweaver don't think match exatly the progression of the other order. shallan need pass more then four truth to abtain the same status of a five-oath-sworn KR of the other order.

Edited by Fulminato

8 hours ago, emailanimal said:

It's tricky to evaluate these things properly.

I agree that Jasnah is one of the most knowledgeable about Radiants in general but I have no idea how complete or accurate her knowledge is. For example, she didn't know what Truthwatcher spren look like until chapter 53. That's fairly basic I would think. I have no idea how close Jasnah is to getting Plate. I'm not sure it would be accurate to say that she is the "most accomplished" (apart from Skybreakers) either, but she's probably very close. Where Shallan at is certainly very rare:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/78-shadows-of-self-boston-signing/#e5470

But let's just say there are few people in all of Roshar who've gotten as far as Shallan.

This is of course not to say that Jasnah isn't as far as Shallan. I just don't know.

I think it wouldn't be a surprise if different Orders got Plate at different stages. Some Orders might not even get plate "automatically" for example. The Winderunners and Skybreakers seem more combat orientated and it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to get Plate earlier than other Orders. Kaladin gets a big sparkly light show and a big dose of Stormlight each time he progresses but Shallan doesn't (and Lift doesn't seem to either). So even if Kaladin immediately gets Plate on his next Ideal, Shallan might not get Plate immediately even on swearing her Final Ideal - she might need to do something more.

5 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

I agree that Jasnah is one of the most knowledgeable about Radiants in general but I have no idea how complete or accurate her knowledge is.

Neither does Jasnah. This is why she is working on learning more all the time.

But if you revisit the battle, where we see every currently aligned with Dalinar Knight Radiant (including the storming Assassin in White) perform, you will notice just how much more control Jasnah has, and how efficient she is.  How much time does it take for her to take down two Fused, vs., how much effort it is for Kaladin, Szeth and others to deal with them?

She is, at the moment, the best Surgebinder. The battle scenes illustrate that.

1 hour ago, emailanimal said:

Neither does Jasnah. This is why she is working on learning more all the time.

But if you revisit the battle, where we see every currently aligned with Dalinar Knight Radiant (including the storming Assassin in White) perform, you will notice just how much more control Jasnah has, and how efficient she is.  How much time does it take for her to take down two Fused, vs., how much effort it is for Kaladin, Szeth and others to deal with them?

she is the more long practiced radiant, she bond ivory roughly six years ago and explore the power of the bond after that event. shallan recover his bond at the end of WoTK, Kaladin don't (actively) surgebind before bridge four, renarin start near the middle of WoR and dalinar bond the stormfather only at the very end of WoR, lift is lift. only szeth had more experience of surgebinding and indeed the chase of the ruby is very skilled.

2 minutes ago, Fulminato said:

she is the more long practiced radiant, she bond ivory roughly six years ago and explore the power of the bond after that event. shallan recover his bond at the end of WoTK, Kaladin don't (actively) surgebind before bridge four, renarin start near the middle of WoR and dalinar bond the stormfather only at the very end of WoR, lift is lift. only szeth had more experience of surgebinding and indeed the chase of the ruby is very skilled.

None of what you are saying contradicts my main point. She is the best Surgebinder precisely because she has practiced a lot and over a long period of time. But, btw, Szeth has been practicing with Honorblades much longer.

In the ruby chase it takes Szeth and Lift - two Knights Radiant an enormous effort to get the ruby and fight off the Fused. Jasnah dispatches two Fused with exactly two motions.

Edited by emailanimal

1 minute ago, emailanimal said:

None of what you are saying contradicts my main point. She is the best Surgebinder precisely because she has practiced a lot and over a long period of time. But, btw, Szeth has been practicing with Honorblades much longer.

yes, but the pratice level don't tell nothing on the 'advancement' of the radiant. Kai (the master skybreaker) took two decad to pass fromt the third ideal to swore the four.

I'm not certain on this; Jasnah comments a few times on how the proximity of the cognitive realm is assisting her in this fight - I think Dalinar having fetched the perpendicularity leant particular strength to Jasnah and whilst she is certainly awesome I don't think she will normally be quite this extraordinary.

1 minute ago, rjl said:

I'm not certain on this; Jasnah comments a few times on how the proximity of the cognitive realm is assisting her in this fight - I think Dalinar having fetched the perpendicularity leant particular strength to Jasnah and whilst she is certainly awesome I don't think she will normally be quite this extraordinary.

Not impossible, although I largely took it to be caused by the easy availability of ginormous amounts of Stormlight.

Shallan may have earned her Plate and 4th ideal. But like her Blade has suppressed the ability to use it with self-deception. Either that is one HARD truth she is hiding from now (given the last one!) or it's related to her false personas including her "Shallan" persona which she and Kal allude in WoR to being a mask anyway.

As for Jasnah vs other Radiants, Kal does v well against Fused when he's got a lot of Stormlight, and facing them in combat when you have a very powerful ability to attack in Soulcasting is different from a chase in which you don't want to destroy the gem. Different objective, the Fused Szeth and Lift faced only needed to stay away, and did not engage unless they got the gem

Not impossible, although I largely took it to be caused by the easy availability of ginormous amounts of Stormlight.

Her advantage was much more then just the access to large amounts of stormlight, She mentions how it should have been much more difficult for some of her soulcasting, and both Jasnah and Shallan mention how they can see both physical and spiritual realms at the same time without any effort. The presence of the perpendicularity, and thus the merging of the 3 realms, absolutely effected the ease of soulcasting in the battle, giving Jasnah an extreme advantage.

1 hour ago, IndigoAjah said:

Shallan may have earned her Plate and 4th ideal. But like her Blade has suppressed the ability to use it with self-deception. Either that is one HARD truth she is hiding from now (given the last one!) or it's related to her false personas including her "Shallan" persona which she and Kal allude in WoR to being a mask anyway.

Different Orders may get certain perks after different number of Ideals.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, MoS03 said:

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:04 AM, Stromblessed said:

Oh I really like this idea. Specific spren being drawn to each order of the KR and forming their Shardplates. I've been thinking about why so many Gloryspren in particular were drawn to Dalinar at his semi Ascension and why the windspren kept being drawn to Kaladin so much and this might explain both.

Shardplates of different orders of the KR do seem to have different glows as seen in Dalinar's visions

This has been speculated before, I have tried to catalogue the major and minor spren as we learn them, feel free to join in!

[OB] Comprehensive Surgebinding Chart

On 19/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, Stromblessed said:

the bondshmit plate should be gold, and is the exact color of the gloryspren.

and shallan/radiant "Another hand took Shallan’s on the right. Radiant, in glowing garnet Shardplate, tall, with braided hair" oathbringer Chapter 120 "The Spear That Would Not Break"

garnet is the 'stone' of lightweaver.