[OB]Dawnshards

Steeldancer

I think they were Weapons of Surgical Destruction. 

Hilarity aside, I'm imagining them as like Surge weapons to an extreme. 

A Gravity crusher thingy. 

An Adhesion death thing. 

A Division thing of much death. 

A friction thing... of death? 

Regrowth... of death? 

I'm confident on this one. Lightweaving Death Star. 

A Soulcasting Death Star. Will turn your entire planet into bland meat. 

A transportation thing. Honestly, i had it all based on the lightweaving death star. 

Not even going to bother for the last 2. Maybe, terraforming? Idk. 

Any way, that's my vague and really stupid idea of what the Dawnshards might really be like. 

Inspired mostly by numbers, this little theoreta of mine here, but:

We know one Dawnshard is different from the others...

There has also been a discussion on the number of Voidbinding aspects- Odium's number is 9, and there are 9 shadows to his Champion (which is interesting and I will think of as 9x+y) and there are (?related to shadows) 9 Unmade. However we know from Brandon and Khriss that there are 10 Voidbinding forms. Which I suspect fit as 9x+y.

i suspect the Dawnshards, as Odium was the humans' original god they brought with them and which we know destroyed their old world (or Honor says they did), are linked intrinsically with Voidbinding. Maybe with the Unmade? Maybe like the Honorblades but for Odium.

But one type of Binding and one of the Dawnshards is different from the others. This could be interpreted several ways- one isn't Voidbknding related, meaning maybe their is a Surge that Voidbinders can't access or only 9 forms? Or one surge/form is so fundamentally different?

the other thing we do know is that a story in world says that either one or all (the wording is ambiguous) of the Dawnshards can bind anything Voidish or Mortal. This could be all of them, as binding is the essence of Voidbinding. Or could be the special ability of the 10th, and it means binding as in controlling or suppressing.

But who knows?

1 hour ago, 17th Splinter said:

Weren't the parshendi called the dawnsingers? So then couldn't the dawn shards been their shards?

No, when Honor grew unstable he started telling people that it was with the Dawnshards that Humanity destroyed their last planet so obviously they wouldn't have been on Roshar during the days of the dawnsingers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 3:28 AM, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

I'm thinking that the dagger that Moash was given was a Dawnshard. 

That's a good guess, but I think there is a WoB that says that the dagger is not a Dawnshard.

Also, I have two prevailing theories on the Dawnshards. The first theory is that they are similar to the Honorblades, but crafted from the essence of Odium; the humans used the Dawnshards to destroy their old planet (Ashyn) before travelling over to Roshar, bringing Odium with them. The Dawnshards therefore could not have been of Honor, but of Odium. My second theory is that the Dawnshards are a small (very small) portion of Adonalsium's power, or some other power, which existed already on Ashyn; it is known that humans had already existed there before the Shattering, so it is possible that the Dawnshards had existed there before the Shattering as well. Does anyone have anything to say to help support/refute these theories? I'm interested to learn what everyone else thinks.

20 minutes ago, TJtheWiz said:

That's a good guess, but I think there is a WoB that says that the dagger is not a Dawnshard.

Also, I have two prevailing theories on the Dawnshards. The first theory is that they are similar to the Honorblades, but crafted from the essence of Odium; the humans used the Dawnshards to destroy their old planet (Ashyn) before travelling over to Roshar, bringing Odium with them. The Dawnshards therefore could not have been of Honor, but of Odium. My second theory is that the Dawnshards are a small (very small) portion of Adonalsium's power, or some other power, which existed already on Ashyn; it is known that humans had already existed there before the Shattering, so it is possible that the Dawnshards had existed there before the Shattering as well. Does anyone have anything to say to help support/refute these theories? I'm interested to learn what everyone else thinks.

Yeah. Those WoBs didn't exist at the time of that post. I was wrong. 

As to your theories, we have almost no information. We have the Poem of Ista, which my idea was based on, and we have Honor mentioning them in the final vision of The Way of Kings

As to them being of Odium though, I doubt it, mainly from the way Tanavast speaks of them in that vision. 

“I wish I could do more,” repeated the figure in gold. “You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And … without the Dawnshards … Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

He speaks about the Dawnshards lamenting their loss. The only way I could reconcile that with their being of Odium, is if they need to be contained somehow. It seems far more likely that they are tools that Tanavast thinks is needed to be used against him.

Without more info, all we can really do is RAFO. 

• Chaos locked this topic