[OB] Dawnshard theory

ggscv

I've looked about on the forums and people still seem to have no idea what the Dawnshards are. I have yet to see this theory put forward and it seems reasonably obvious to me, but aren't the Dawnshards simply those perfect gemstones that don't leak stormlight? Dalinar uses "The King’s Drop" to capture Nergaoul. Here are some quotes from the Wiki as well as one I pulled from the Rysn interlude.

“A mythological treasure ... much like the Dawnshards or the Honorblades. Certainly worth seeking, but only with great caution.”

–Shallan

“They say it’s a chunk off the Stone of Ten Dawns.”

-Vstim, referring to The King's Drop.

"Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above."

–from The Poem of Ista. (Jasnah's note: I have found no modern explanation of what these 'Dawnshards' are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies.)

In theory there are 10 of them (one for each gemstone/surge), but there are only 9 unmade to capture (gotta catch em all). Is this too obvious an explanation? Am I missing something fundamental? Let me know what you think.

Edited by ggscv

I think the last quote is the biggest one in favor. Not sure Shallans is relevant. The problem I have with the theory is that I fail to see how that could be used to destroy a world. It holds a lot of Stormlight (Investiture) for a long time. From what we know now, that’s great, but hardly earth shattering (pun!).

If we find out that, say, Nergaoul’s stone could be used to control him, like with a fabrial, that changes things. 

And as I wrote this I now realize that’s exactly what it might be, and that’s terrifying. 

Makes me wonder what the Stone of Ten Dawns is though. Perhaps that’s the dawnshard? Big enough to hold one of the 16...to be used by anyone...

Ok, that’s a big deal. And could definitely destroy a planet. Though, our current Radiants, and the Recreance generation, don’t exactly have the same potential.

Edited by Jaconis

I just thought of something crazy (Cosmere/Elantris/Mistborn spoilers incoming). Brandon Sanderson loves playing around with geography and geometry when talking about magic systems, he did this with Elantris (the city) being a giant Aon as well as in Mistborn with the location of the well of ascension moving about. 

What if the 10 oathgates with Urithiru at it's center were one giant fabrial/weapon system, like the death star? And the dawnshards/super gemstones were a piece of the puzzle to make it all work? Sorry that this is coming from left field but it is slightly related to the topic at least.

28 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

The Unmade are now related to Odium, I believe they, like the Parshendi are native to Roshar and Odium 'corrupted' them.

Therefor I believe there was 10 'Made', tied to the 10 Dawnshards.

The Dawnshards (and perhaps Honor) were not native to Roshar, though.

From Chapter 113 of Oathbringer:

Spoiler

But in the days leading to the Recreance, Honor was dying.  When that generation of knights learned the truth, Honor did not support them.  He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls.  Honor ... promised that Surgebinders would do the same to Roshar.

2 hours ago, Jaconis said:

I think the last quote is the biggest one in favor. Not sure Shallans is relevant. The problem I have with the theory is that I fail to see how that could be used to destroy a world. It holds a lot of Stormlight (Investiture) for a long time. From what we know now, that’s great, but hardly earth shattering (pun!).

It is strongly implied in one of the Listener songs from WoR that humans destroyed Natanatan creating the Shattered Plains.  It could be evidence of what wielding a huge level of Stormlight is capable of and is pretty earth shattering (sorry couldn't help it :)) So I wouldn't rule out what could be done with such a ridiculous amount of Investiture, especially with multiple sides in a war armed with them and influenced by Odium. 

5 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Could Moash have used a Dawnshard to kill Jezrien?

I did wonder that myself. The Dawnshards were small enough to carry, per one of the earlier quotes. And they were able to "bind any voidish or mortal" - there was a distinct glow to the gem in the pommel of the knife afterwards.

As to where they are located... Aimia perhaps? Oathbringer I-4 Kada.

“After many warnings not to come to this place,” the cook said. “It is rare I must guard it so … aggressively. Men must not again discover this place.” “The gemstones?” Kaza asked, growing more drowsy. “Or … is it something else … something … more…” “I cannot speak,” the cook said, “even to sate a dying demand. There are those who could pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the ends of worlds.

Edited by Strabe

Based on the description of Moash's blade (a nearly white/gold metallic blade), and the earlier foreshadowing of Aluminum), it seemed to imply that the blade was made of Nicrosil, the Metal that is capable of stealing of Investiture.

I don't think the dawnshards are the perfect gemstones. If we look at what honor said he seems to imply that they're actual weapons, not a reserve of stormlight.

But in the days leading to the Recreance, Honor was dying. When that generation of knights learned the truth, Honor did not support them. He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls. Honor … promised that Surgebinders would do the same to Roshar.

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 1052). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 AM, ggscv said:

but aren't the Dawnshards simply those perfect gemstones that don't leak stormlight? 

I don't think so. The banks that existed in Shadesmar contained some of these perfect gemstones and that is how they got their money. Transfer the stormlight from a flawed gemstone into the perfect stone, then get paper credits in return. I doubt a Shadesmar bank would carry around dawnshards and go unnoticed.

15 minutes ago, humanchaos said:

I don't think so. The banks that existed in Shadesmar contained some of these perfect gemstones and that is how they got their money. Transfer the stormlight from a flawed gemstone into the perfect stone, then get paper credits in return. I doubt a Shadesmar bank would carry around dawnshards and go unnoticed.

Not to mention Gavilar had one made.

• Chaos locked this topic