[OB] Possible evidence of a radiant with Shardplate

Dearius

@Completeshards We don't actually know that as we see in several of Dalinar's visions radiants using surges including Lashings with plate on. This leads to the interesting question about what is different about Plate post recreance for which there are many theories of which I think the most popular is that Shardplate used to be made of 'cousin' or 'lesser' spren to the Nahel bond, windspren for windrunners, creationspren for lightweavers etc and that these broke in a similar way to the lead spren at the Recreance

2 minutes ago, Dlyol said:

We don't actually know that as we see in several of Dalinar's visions radiants using surges including Lashings with plate on.

Lashing other Radiants in their plate is not possible according to the visions. When Dalinar asks the Radiant why he isn't wearing his plate in one of the rerun visions, the Radiant is like "Duh, I couldn't lash you if you were in your plate." So, a Windrunner or Skybreaker seem to be able to lash themselves when wearing plate but cannot lash others who are wearing plate. 

Then again, so many "known" things are turning out to be wrong that maybe, in this "modern" era, the characters will learn to lash others who are wearing plate.

10 minutes ago, Dlyol said:

@Completeshards We don't actually know that as we see in several of Dalinar's visions radiants using surges including Lashings with plate on.

As @CaptainRyan said, their own plate doesn't interfere with their lashings, only other people's plate. This is likely because each persons plate is filled with investiture that is keyed to their own spiritweb, much like how

Minor Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

A Feruchemist can't use someone else's metalminds because different peoples investiture is not compatible without tinkering.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

1 minute ago, Dlyol said:

@CaptainRyan @Cowmanthethird That is all true and is a good spot which I hadn't made but its completely orthogonal to my point that there isn't any evidence that Jasnah would need to dismiss her plate in order to Surgebind in the ways that she was at this moment

Good call. I misquoted you instead of @Completeshards. Sorry mate. By way of apology, have an upvote! :) 

Oh oh oh oh!  I just came across this!  In the chapter where Dalinar brings Venli into a vision:

He fell beside the hole’s perimeter, and stretched one hand toward Venli. His other ground against the rock wall, hand scraping the stone. Something flashed around his arm. Lines of light, a framework that covered his body. His fingers didn’t bleed as they scraped the stone.

So Dalinar is reaaallllly close to getting his Shardplate too!

• 7 months later...

I don't like to raise dead threads, but this is the first I found regarding the plate in Oathbringer. Given how the sentence is phrased, with Jasnah being "nonplussed", therefore surprised or confused about suddenly tossing around people, I would have to say this is merely the beginning of manifesting Shardplate. Adding credence to her surprise is that Dalinar manifested something extremely similar with Venli, protecting his body from harm while not getting the full Plate. It is also clear from the passage that he didn't even notice what he was doing, so Jasnah flinging people around without consciously summoning Plate seems reasonable. 

I also really dig that her previous scene with Renarin was her next Ideal. Those scenes are loaded with self discovery and import, and calm, rational Jasnah choosing family and emotion over the logical choice is wonderfully poetic. 

18 minutes ago, leester1478 said:

I don't like to raise dead threads, but this is the first I found regarding the plate in Oathbringer. Given how the sentence is phrased, with Jasnah being "nonplussed", therefore surprised or confused about suddenly tossing around people, I would have to say this is merely the beginning of manifesting Shardplate.

That is not how the word was used. I'm trying to find an actual source for this, but I have a quote from Brandon's assistant, Peter Ahlstrom that was brought up in a previous thread about this. Nonplussed has two contradictory meanings, and Brandon was using the less traditional one. 

It means unperturbed. We had a lot of discussions about this wording, but this is the way Brandon uses it and I'm fine with that. I also find it a mischaracterization when people say the old meaning and the new meaning are completely opposite. Nonplussed does not mean surprised in the old meaning, it means confused. Confused and bothered are not synonyms. 

• Chaos locked this topic