callumke

Gaz and Darkness

8 posts in this topic

Random Speculation time!

I rarely like doing much unfounded speculating, but my final re-listen to tWoK has put me in the mood for it.

I think Gaz was killed by Darkness, for being a potential surgebinder.

Evidence:

1) Gas disappears without a trace; perhaps like Ym? 

ii) Gaz, as evidenced by his POV, is a better man than he pretends. He hates himself for being part of the horrible lives of the Bridgemen.

c) Gaz's description of being watched and his missing eye could be a spren lurking just out of sight,

And finally what prompted me to think of this -

0b100) The title of Chapter 30, the one which contains Gaz's POV, is called Darkness Unseen. It is obviously a reference to Gaz's half blindness, but could have another meaning? We know the chapter headings are more important than most give them credit for.

gaz may be a better man than he pretends, but it takes far more to become a radiant. I don't see this theory as holding much ground.

However, his disappearence is suspicious, and it is unlikely, story-wise, that is due to something mundane.

Ever since Gaz's POV i felt a little sorry for him being caught between the Brightlords and the Bridge men. Dont forget he was being blackmailed for an unknown reason by the Bright Captain Lamaril. I remember that he always felt like he was being watched. The chapter 'Darkness unseen' i think there is more going on here!

I don't think he was killed by Darkness i think the Brightlords Hashal and Matal know what happened to him but it was never explained in detail.

Edited by WEZ313

If Darkness is stalking the camps eliminating those conjoined with Spren, the immediate question is why hasn't he attempted a hit on Kaladin, who gives every indication of being in a much more advanced bonding than Gaz.  For that reason I tend to think Darkness is not around the camps yet, although, as FireArcadia points out, the chapter title could be interpreted as a hint that way.

Well, at the risk of being a wet blanket, I think that Gaz was simply executed when whatever his crime was that led to him being blackmailed came out. I don't think he can have been sent to a bridgecrew, simply put he would be noticed as he would be known by every bridgeman. It would be too sweet a revenge for it NOT to be talked about.

And he's too petty a character and person to be picked out by a spren, IMHO of course. Alethi justice can be quick and definite, he's been executed after a summary trial as part of a clean out. We haven't met the new "Bridgecrew Sargeant" however, whoever he is/was.

I assumed it was Laramil that brought him down. Or Hashal and Matal found out why Gaz was paying Laramil and had him removed because of it.

Despite the cliché, Gaz becoming a bridge man would have been perfect, especially if events put him back into his old sergeant-without-a-hope position under Kaladin's former bridgeman force.

Eh..No, I don't believe that Gaz was killed by Darkness. Yes, the chapter title is suggestive, and had Nalan been one of the heralds in in the chapter heading, I would say "Yeah, definitely, right on." but he isn't, it's two other heralds, the male one I believe is Taln.