[OB] The third Bondsmith and Urithiru

FirstSelector

There are no splinters of Adonalsium though. A splinter is comprised of investiture, and all investiture once held by Adonalsium was assigned to a shard at the time of the shattering. Any splinters that were of Adonalsium would have at that moment become splinters of a shard. I think a more likely scenario is that the Sibling is a Spren of both Honor and Cultivation in equal meaure, and so may be seen to be more of Adonalsium by virtue of the fact that Adonalsium contained both Honor and Cultivation. It would still be more accurately described as a spren of Honor and Cultivation than a spren of Adonalsium though.

5 minutes ago, aemetha said:

There are no splinters of Adonalsium though. A splinter is comprised of investiture, and all investiture once held by Adonalsium was assigned to a shard at the time of the shattering.

Hmm, are you sure about that? I am not the most up to date on my WoB's but it seems like Investiture already invested wouldn't necessarily have to return to that which invested it. Let's say for the sake of arguement that Adonalsium was scrooge McDuck. The Amount of investiture that Scroogenalsium had at the time of shattering would be represented by the near infinite number of coins in his money bank, but that would not necessarily include his existing capital expenditures. To think that all of the businesses that he was "invested" in would suddenly be drawn back into his money bin because he was killed and 16 people had access to his money bin seems like a logical stretch to me. Some of Adonalsium's investiture was spent, it seems to me, in the creation of the operational parameters of the cosmere, to think that these would flow back because he was shattered would be like an inverse big bang. It would be a big suck, and I don't think energy works like that. A system at rest tends to stay at rest. A system invested and stable would probably continue in its stability with the inherent investiture placed into it. If the Big suck theory is correct (in that all investiture was drawn back into adonalsium, so that it could be divvied up by Intent seems like a logical leap as well. I think it's far more likely that certain salient heavily invested features of what would later become shard worlds maintained their pre-shattering status quo, like the spren that the original listener population was familiar with (they probably didn't get sucked back into an adonalsium shard, awaiting re-apportionment by the appropriate shard).

I gave you an upvote by the way, because I have been walking around all day with this rattling through my head "I'm a Crem-Hole-oh-io", and thinking that maybe they should cast Denis Leary as Odium. For anyone reading this, that doesn't know, @aemetha did a stunning reworking of Denis Leary's song "I'm an A-hole", which is Odium basically singing unrepentantly about what an A-hole he is:

It's pretty funny what the language filter turned A-hole into, but I'll let you discover that on your own.

Right, so the form of the investiture may have remained the same during the shattering. A spren that existed pre-shattering may for example have existed post-shattering. It would no longer be a spren of Adonalsium though, because all investiture belongs to shards. There is no such thing as free investiture.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/#e8605

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Is all Investiture in the Cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting. 

Are they aware of that Investiture?

That's part of the whole seeing into the infinite, being beyond even the power of a Shard. So, technically you could make the argument that Harmony could feel the sense of Preservation of every world in the Cosmere, right? Because the building blocks of all life and creation are these things.

So the Shard of Preservation embodies all preservation in the Cosmere?

Yes but he just can't do that, right? Like, he's not infinite. The Vessels are not, even if their minds are enormously expanded by holding a Shard, they are not infinite. The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm

Thanks for the upvote too.

As always, good to stand corrected. Had some upvotes left, have another one.

But the underlying principle of the thing is still at play. Irrespective of which shardic intent the native splinters of Roshar have (they could be autonomy for all we know) I think the existence of cymatic cities corresponding with the oathgate cities might still hint at the sibling being a pre Honor/Cultivation splinter. The oathgates referring to the dead parent could be referring to Honor, or they could be referring to the slumbering (i.e. non-sentient and unbonded) sibling. I also think that the gargantuan glowing form seen in the calm at the center of the high storm seems like a very likely candidate for the sibling (the idea of the SF shepherding the wayward, mindless sibling seems to match his natural affinity for protecting Syl and the honor spren in general).

That third entity with the arms spread around a blue disc sounds like it would represent ocean.  Most of Roshar is water unless there's a giant continent on the other side of the planet we've conveniently ignored so far.    Wasn't there an odd spren thing in the purelake that popped up once a day?  Could the entire purelake be a slumbering spren?  

If Urithiru was "Closest to Honor" did he perhaps reside on one of the moons, insofar as a god had to reside anywhere?  Could Odium have come with a third moon as a means of moving the population from Braize?  

Is there any reason to know that a third splinter on Roshar (presuming that is that the Sibling is) is from Honor Cultivation or Odium?  Couldn't it have been assigned to another Shard entirely that never resided on the planet?

• 2 weeks later...

Query/thoughts:

If the Sibling is the Spren of stone / the Spren of Urithiru, why is that the only place where a Shin can walk on stones, where the stones are unhallowed?

The three routes I see are a) the tower is artificial so it has no spren (which doesn't make sense, since we see swords and other such creations have spren), B) the holy spren of stone had fled, or c) the tower was possessed by an unholy spren.

Tangentially, looking at the Radiant Chart & Double Eye, Bondsmiths and Truthwatchers are in the center, and both have, um, interesting interactions and combinations of Shardic spren. 

Really quick thought:

The Unmade are remnants of the third bondspren.  Once a full Stormfather sized spren that powered Urithiru among other things.  Urithiru began fail prior to the Recreance for some reason.  Radiants didn't understand what was happening.  The False Desolation was also occurring.  Radiants tried to stop it by trapping the Unmade powering the Voidbringers.  Suddenly Urithiru was evacuated and the Radiants set down their Spren.

Could the Unmade be pieces of the third Bondspren, "unmade" broken off of it by Odium until it finally "slumbered" either intentionally or due to being too broken, etc.?

Could the unmade have been created after the oath pact, possibly in response to the knight radiants being created? It would explain why they are not banished to damnation with the fused and void spren. That way they could undermine the human forces between desolations. And during them cause huge disasters.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I really think that the key to the 3 Bondsmiths and their god spren is that Mosiac in the basement of Urithiru.

The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spreading toward the sky and becoming branches.

We know that their are 3 shards on the planet, and really 3 separate forms of Investiture. The figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc might be the representation of a spren capable of distributing voidlight, the thundercloud is the spren capable of distributing stormlight, and the woman tree is the general dispersal of life force (most likely necessary to maintain life on a rocky, soil less planet).

This is the highly speculative part of the theory, but I think that this actually has some merit. We know that the numerology of Roshar is based on the number 10, we know that the Rosharan system was created by Adonalsium prior to the shattering and we know that there are likely 9 unmade (Hessi's mythica only definitely lists 8, but Hessi states that she is confindent there are 9 because it is an unholy number and associated with Odium (and Dai-Gonarthis is the least certain of the Unmade)). So, what if all of the unmade were originally the splinters of Adonalsium that were left on Roshar when the system was first created by Adonalsium? The Highstorm which is responsible for maintaining the ecology of Roshar was one and their were 9 others, and these 9 others were somehow Unmade into splinters of Odium. What if Stormlight and Voidlight both were manifestations of Investiture on Roshar from the Adonalsium days? The Listeners seem particularly adapted to use this, and as @aemetha pointed out:

On 12/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, aemetha said:

Right, so the form of the investiture may have remained the same during the shattering. A spren that existed pre-shattering may for example have existed post-shattering. It would no longer be a spren of Adonalsium though, because all investiture belongs to shards. There is no such thing as free investiture.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/#e8605

So after the shattering, everything that was heavily invested by Adonalsium pre-shattering was most likely a composite of different shardic intents. So, what if what Odium did to create the unmade was to somehow splinter away the portions of the native pre-shattering god sprens that were incompatible with the intent of his shard? This would explain the cryptic "They were made and then they were Unmade" description of the Unmade that we get from Syl. Also this might be the explanation for what the sibling bondsmith spren is. This is the heavily speculative part, but that's the fun part right, so what if Ba-Ado-Mishram is the sibling spren? We know that BAM is capable of channeling voidlight investiture (like the stormfather and would make a great Urithiru battery). Further we know that the Stormfather talks about how the previous Radiants hurt "them" (referring to the sibling) before the sibling fled the tower, and there is a theory on a different thread that the hyphens in the name of an unmade implies a higher level of sentience most likely due to the fact that they are composite spren. We know the Radiants left Urithiru after Urithiru stopped working properly and that shortly after that Melishi and his KR strike force went to capture BAM. There is also another entry in the gemstone archive that says that the Sibling is now slumbering (possibly a great description for what a powerful spren trapped in a perfect gemstone would be experiencing)

I think the most likely chisel that Odium used to splinter away the non-compatible intents from the native Rosharan god spren to unmake them into the Unmade was the breaking of the Heralds in Damnation. We know that there is a possible KR order specific affinity for each of the unmade, and it has been speculated before that this is the way Odium has created the Unmade:

Mind you this is pure speculation, we have no confirmation that of any of this, but prior to the arrival of Honor, Cultivation and Odium, the original Adonalsium godspren might have been more in line with the shardic intent of any of the 16 new shards. This might explain why certain of the unmade are red (showing they have corrupted investiture) while others are not (like Re-Shephir who is black), or maybe this is just a sign/symptom of the completeness of alignment of intent with Odium (no corruption/warping of the spren is necessary for it to act, it's intent is completely aligned with Odium). The midnight mother, pools of darkness that coalesce to kill sounds pretty inline with Odium's intent.

Now, there are definitely problems with this theory, one being that Hessi's mythica describes BAM as being one of Odium's great generals, and also that BAM was able to provide voidlight to the Fused. But we only have 4,500 years of recorded history, all really after Aharietiam, and the legends about BAM could come solely from the fighting during the False Desloation. We know that shards can take an exceptionally long time to die, so the process of Unmaking a heavily invested splinter could likewise have a long time scale. So it could be possible that after the breaking of the 9th herald in Damnation, Ba-Ado-Mishram was slowly splintering until the god-spren that previously had been a composite of H+C+O investiture shed it's H+C portions, left Urithiru, brought voidlight to the Fused for the False Desolation, was captured by Melishi and his KRs, and BAM (the sibling) was imprisoned in a perfect gem and is now slumbering. If this is true (which is a pretty big stretch, but interesting to think about) would it still be possible for a bondsmith to bond to BAM and power Urithiru with voidlight?

One thing that supports the speculation that the 3 different types of investiture, Voidlight, Stormlight and Life energy existed on Roshar before the shattering of Adonalsium is the physical manifestation of the three moons. Salas is a violet moon (like the violet inverted glow of voidlight), Nomon is blue (like the light of honorspren and the color of expelled stormlight), and Mishim is green (the color of life spren, the Nightwatcher, etc). We know from OB that the god color associated with Odium is Yellow-Gold (also the color of the voidspren that round up the newly awakened Singers), so I think that it is logical to assume that these 3 different forms of investiture could have pre-dated the arrival of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium. And if this bit of speculation is true, then I think that it is also possible that Ba-Ado-Mishram might have been an original godspren of pre-shattered Adonalsium responsible for directing voidlight investiture.

This is pretty out there, but a lot of moving pieces fit together with theory, but like I said it probably has a million holes too.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

On 11/19/2017 at 7:52 AM, Billahollic said:

Anyone have any idea why the Stormfather twice refers to the Sibling in the plural?

"Leave them alone. You have hurt them enough." 

He says this to Dalinar on two separate occasions. 

Wasn't he refering to the sibling and the Nightwatcher here?

On 12/26/2017 at 9:11 AM, glotof said:

Query/thoughts:

If the Sibling is the Spren of stone / the Spren of Urithiru, why is that the only place where a Shin can walk on stones, where the stones are unhallowed?

The three routes I see are a) the tower is artificial so it has no spren (which doesn't make sense, since we see swords and other such creations have spren), B) the holy spren of stone had fled, or c) the tower was possessed by an unholy spren.

Tangentially, looking at the Radiant Chart & Double Eye, Bondsmiths and Truthwatchers are in the center, and both have, um, interesting interactions and combinations of Shardic spren. 

The Sibling is definitely the spren of Urithiru (IMO) and the spren of a Bondsmith. 

I'm not convinced that the wind, stone, spren reference from Eila Stele correlates directly to the Bondsmiths.  Many things number three and we've no stronger reason to suspect they are related.  The Nightwatcher's voice sounds more like stone than wind, and the Stormfather is father to some spren but of the wind.  And isn't the Nightwatcher mother to Wyndle?  Perhaps the Sibling is the parent to the Oathgate spren.  All three are spren.  All three may have begotten spren.  It is all very messy.  I doubt there is a one-to-one correlation.

Why are the stones unhallowed?

So WoB confirms that gemhearts from deceased creatures such as chasmfiends (and a ton of others) could be fossilized and buried in layers of Roshar's stone, over the course of time. 

If you look closely at Dalinar's first vision of the Thunderclast in Words of Radiance (Taker of Secrets chapter), you'll see Sja-anat's spren wriggling her way into the stone to presumably find the gemheart and animate the Thunderclast.  In that same chapter, we see a giant obsidian fortress in the Purelake with finlike formations and arrowhead towers, just like the Mandras have, and so we suspect this stone fortress was similarly animated by uncorrupted Mandras spren.  Perhaps Urithiru was originally stone in the ground that became animated by the Sibling.

With this line of thought, any stone might house the gemhearts that can be populated by spren to animate the stone.  This potential for animation might be why the Shin regard stone as too sacred (or too scary) to walk on top of. 

That's why Szeth views the stones as hallowed in especially the first book.  As we progress, though, Szeth is getting more and more comfortable with stones.  Perhaps we'll see him slaying many more Thunderclasts in his book, Stones Unhallowed.  

Here's where others and I have discussed and hashed out our ideas about the gemhearts and stone (among other gemheart bonds):

“Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?”

Sanderson, Brandon. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) (p. 1000). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Storms, I love the way Sanderson plants thousands of clues several books in advance!  Yes, sometimes we need a hero to slay a rock for us.

Edited by Wit Beyond Measure

• 4 weeks later...

I think the third sibling is what is called 

the Ancient of stones. He is mentioned in the epigraphs of the last part in words of radiance 

and in the translation of dawnchant in oathbringer it is mentioned that "for there betrayal extended even to our gods: the spren, stone and wind. 

Hmm arr these the mention of three siblings

spren nightcrawler

stone ancient of stone who is sleeping

and wind storm father

Just a thought guys..

although I do wonder what a bond smith of  nightcrawler would be like !!

The "Ancient of Stones" as referenced by the Diagram is almost certainly Talenel.  It references how he "must begin to crack" and start a Desolation.

However, I do agree that there might be something to the Sibling having a particular relation to stone.  After all, Urithiru was wrought from the stone directly.  It is worth noting that Shinovar pre-dates the construction of Urithiru, and thus so might their religion.

Edited by FirstSelector

• 2 weeks later...

My earlier comments were wrong. Just finished re-reading WoR, and Szeth can walk on Urithuru because it's the only place where the stone IS holy. Not where it's unholy.

This would imply, of course, that all the rest of the stones are unholy. Eeenteresting. It fits in with what we know of the Shin being the real monsters.

I'm starting to lean back towards the Sibling being Odium-esque. The fact it doesn't have a name and gets all kinds of positive reinforcement reminds me of the Furies and Hades from Greek mythology. To not piss them off, you didn't call them by their names; you called them by really nice things instead: the Furies became the Eumenides: the Gracious/Kind ones; Hades became Pluton: the Rich one. A serious Odium spren could become the Sweet one.

In other news, looking at the map, Urithuru is just a stone's throw from The Valley. Something let life live at the tower. Maybe Cultivation and the Nightwatcher were there and didn't go too far away.

Do all Native Rosharan things have gemhearts?

On 3.2.2018 at 6:22 AM, glotof said:

The fact it doesn't have a name and gets all kinds of positive reinforcement reminds me of the Furies and Hades from Greek mythology.

Except that considerations like that wouldn't affect the Stormfather, who is very protective of the Sibling. Personally, I still think that it is most likely that they are half-and-half Honor/Cultivation and a neuter.

In other news, looking at the map, Urithuru is just a stone's throw from The Valley. Something let life live at the tower. Maybe Cultivation and the Nightwatcher were there and didn't go too far away.

Right, and I strongly suspect that we'll see somebody visit the Valley and bond the Nightwatcher in the next book. IMHO, it will be Rlain, who'll go there to ask for a boon that would help save the singers from Odium, but a pretty good case has been made for Rock, too. Not sure if Cultivation is actually most present there, though - Purelake and Horneater peaks also seem to be likely locations for being "closest" to her.

Do all Native Rosharan things have gemhearts?

As far as we know, yes. And some non-native ones may have adapted to grow them too, like the Ryshadium. Though, IIRC there is no incontrovertible confirmation for that. Still, they appear to be connected to spren like the skyeels and greatshells are.

Edited by Isilel

On 12/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

From this scene and the Kaladin/Shallan chasm scene where they see something similar, it seems that somehow the Stormfather is protecting it within the nexus of the highstorm. We know from Kaladin SF scenes that at the center of the highstorm you really are in the spiritual realm (because of the pressure of investiture most likely), so this is probably how the very protective and Brotherly storm father has been protecting the sibling

I read this thread like a week ago and this has been stuck in my head, so now I have to come out and say how much I love it. This is literally the best way to protect/hide a massive spren from being found. What's interesting is that there's always multiple highstorms circling Roshar, correct? We've seen this spren twice now? Almost crazy odds we've seen it at all. We've won the shell game twice, without realizing we're playing or knowing how many shells there are.

Okay, so things are still nebulous in my head but I think that Cusicesh the Protector has something to do with Urithiru. Urithiru is described as being riddled with pipes/tubes and carved pools where water would have been. Cusicesh is water-like and displays hundreds of different faces each morning when it arises from the Inland(?) Sea at Kasitor. Faces it would know from being surrounded by hundreds/thousands of people in a city. It is also named the Protector - Urithiru's protections are described as weakening in the crystal records. The Sibling is described as "they" by the Stormfather and there is the image of the blue pool and figure with arms outstretched. I think this is the Sibling, who is related to Stone, who works with Cusicesh (a blue water-like spren) at Urithiru. I suspect that the destruction of the city at the Shattered Plains may have damaged/weakened the Stone Sibling, hence it withdrawing and slumbering. Melishi (Stone Bondward) capturing BDO in the crystal may have been the final straw and the Stone Sibling went into slumber.

I'm also intrigued at what is going on with Aimia. When did it get destroyed? We know "recently" and it still was intact when the crystal record at Urithiru was created. Could this have something to do with the slumbering Sibling? 

• 4 months later...

I think your dead on the money . I first thought like you and was thinking third sibling was of Odium . Like you I realized that made no sense because then he would be of the void. I believe he is both of Honor and cultivation . And I think that Navani is the perfect person to bond with the sibling ?! I guess we will have to RaFo

• 1 year later...

OMG ok I know I’m replying to an ancient thread here, but I just had the craziest idea here. 

So we know that there is something different about Adolin’s shardblade/dead spren. Unlike anyone before (to my knowledge, besides Dalinar perhaps), he has a unique connection with his dead spren that is the shardblade. 

WHAT IF that “dead” spren is The Sibling? We know that bondsmiths can use their spren as a blade just like the other radiants, since Dalinar is able to use the Stormfather as a blade to operate the oathgate when he gets overwhelmed by the thrill (and even tho the Stormfather resisted, Dalinar was still able to summon him as a blade). 

So it is entirely possible that The Sibling is a “dead” shardblade after many of the radiants “betrayed” their oaths and killed their spren. Seeing as Adolin’s shardblade spren seems so unique, wouldn’t it be interesting if that turned out to be The Sibling?

Edited by Thornz

14 hours ago, Thornz said:

OMG ok I know I’m replying to an ancient thread here, but I just had the craziest idea here. 

So we know that there is something different about Adolin’s shardblade/dead spren. Unlike anyone before (to my knowledge, besides Dalinar perhaps), he has a unique connection with his dead spren that is the shardblade. 

WHAT IF that “dead” spren is The Sibling? We know that bondsmiths can use their spren as a blade just like the other radiants, since Dalinar is able to use the Stormfather as a blade to operate the oathgate when he gets overwhelmed by the thrill (and even tho the Stormfather resisted, Dalinar was still able to summon him as a blade). 

So it is entirely possible that The Sibling is a “dead” shardblade after many of the radiants “betrayed” their oaths and killed their spren. Seeing as Adolin’s shardblade spren seems so unique, wouldn’t it be interesting if that turned out to be The Sibling?

Seems unlikely. She's described Ina way that seems to suggest she was an Edgedancer's blade. Adolin has just interacted with her In a way that seems to have brought more of her cognition back and caused her less pain. Likely due to his treating her like an intelligent being and his respect for the name the Radiant originally gave her. It's not the blade that's special, it's the way Adolin respects her and treats her. And how the way he does so seems to fit the Edgedancer's oaths. We've seen him do some other edgedancery things as well, speaking up for prostitutes, his relationship to Renarin... Even the way he sees through Shallan's veils. He's probably headed more that way. 

Edited by Aminar

On 5/8/2020 at 3:54 AM, Thornz said:

13 hours ago, Aminar said:

Seems unlikely. She's described Ina way that seems to suggest she was an Edgedancer's blade. Adolin has just interacted with her In a way that seems to have brought more of her cognition back and caused her less pain. Likely due to his treating her like an intelligent being and his respect for the name the Radiant originally gave her. It's not the blade that's special, it's the way Adolin respects her and treats her. And how the way he does so seems to fit the Edgedancer's oaths. We've seen him do some other edgedancery things as well, speaking up for prostitutes, his relationship to Renarin... Even the way he sees through Shallan's veils. He's probably headed more that way. 

So quoting both because my response is to both. We have a WoB confirming that Adolin's shardblade is an edgedancer blade, and that living the edgedancer oaths are not enough to revive Maya. Something more needs to be done. I understand and respect the theory that by seeing Maya as living is that something more. Personally I disagree, and lean towards my personal theory of the something extra being a Bondsmith using connection to infuse Maya with investiture, to restore what was lost (thereby avoiding the issue of investiture interfering with investiture). But I wish you luck with your theory!

Kaladin al'Thor

I noticed my last time reading Words of Radiance that there were several times-- vines that were on Adolin's shardblade as he summoned it. So I was wondering if maybe the Radiant who used it had was an Edgedancer?

Brandon Sanderson

You are right.

Kaladin al'Thor

You mentioned before that it would be possible to revive a dead shard[blade], but it would be very difficult--

Brandon Sanderson

Very difficult.

Kaladin al'Thor

Like I think what you said is that it would have to be the same person that broke the bond?

Brandon Sanderson

That would be the-- Yeah.

Kaladin al'Thor

So if it was an Edgedancer's blade if he made those same oaths could potentially he…

Brandon Sanderson

That would most likely not be enough. Something else would have to happen. Good guess though.

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)