Will we see interplanetar/lunar travel in future books?

Michael Portz

I bet we see some Shadesmar travel, but I'm not seeing windrunning as a method of travel to the moon.(Although possible it seems unlikely.)

I don't think it's likely, but it might be a possibility. If you can Surgebind 32 lbs of pressure per square inch on your body, and hold your breath for the ride; I'd say that Wind Running to the moon is quite feasible.

Why would you need to hold your breath?  Stormlight does it for you.  It's certainly possible, I just don't see it coming about, given the Mistborn Spacefarers thing.

I don't see it happening either. I just think it's theoretically possible.

Also although Stormlight helps strange of bbc the effects of not breathing, it does not eliminate them completely. So ya, hold your breath! :D

Closer to Roshar than geosynchronous orbit, eh? That's pretty close. Makes getting there much more probable, though I suppose you'd have to pack a lot of Stormlight.

And I think that a few characters moving between a planet and it's moons with a strict time limit enforced by Stormlight is different enough from the Mistborn in Space setting that it'll fly. No pun intended.

Edited by Swimmingly

Roshar's moons are much much closer than our moon. Their elliptical orbits bring them closer to Roshar's surface during the night than geosynchronous altitude.

This answer seems to imply that the orbital period of the moons are basically synchronous with the rotational period of Roshar -- it is at night that the moons are closest, and not during the day.  As we haven't heard of eclipses on Roshar (that I can remember at any rate), that would mean the orbits are inclined from the elliptic.  I am not an astronomy expert but I suspect such an arrangement to be gravitationally unstable in the long run.

I'm also going to hazard a guess that it is through calculations of the moon movements and interactions that highstorms are predicted.  If this is the case, this would mean that stormlight could be in some way caused by, or an effect of, the orbits of the moons; and also that if someone wanted to really mess with the planet's magic system they would need to poke a moon or two into a different orbit [not geography-based magic, but astronomy-based magic!!].  Wow, lots to think about with this line of speculation!  It only just popped into my head and I haven't begun to examine the text for any support or basis.

• Chaos locked this topic