[OB] Kaladin and Jasnah as a couple

Thread89

7 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Jasnah is not, as far as I know, into necrophilia. 

I was attempting to point out you can discuss absolutely ridiculous relationships. Didn't want to use Raoden because he has a canonical partner...

Edited by Leyrann

6 hours ago, Aminar said:

They were borderline completely indifferent to her. Not to mention the 16 year age gap(which squiks me right out) and the fact Jasnah has no need for a relationship. A romance arc for Jasnah would undermine so much of her character. I mean, the only thing they had in common was a contempt for Amaram. 

So in short, no. Jasnah doesn't need to be made human. She's already human. She cares. She loves her family. She has some kind of trauma in her past I suspect was sexual in nature. But she's not a vulnerable person, something that emotional romantic relationships need. Lets let that be her arc. It's already great without saddling her with all the weird emotions that go into relationships. 

Couldn't agree more.

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

Okay okay I thought of something!  Jasnah's Queen now, so she'll need a consort and an heir.  And who would be more fitting than the first of the new Radiants (that isn't related to her or the same gender), Kaladin Stormblessed?!

Yep, the similar thing came to my mind right after the scene where Drehy and Skar passed Elhokar's kid to Kaladin and then Dalinar and Co choose the next King. The brief scene where Dalinar told him that he has the own lands and villages (and wasnt brought up again in this book) also adds to that theory. 

I believe Kaladin is totally gonna become the regent of Alethkar while the boy is growing, along with Jasnah, between the first and second half of SA. And i foresee Dalinar to become the post-physic entity by the end of the first half and that will lead Kaladin in charge of the Alethkar or humankind since he is the most fitting candidate due to Leading/Protecting aspects of the Windrunners. 

Edited by Harbour

I feel like Jasnah has made a strong effort to be an independent entity, and that Kaladin is trying to find himself and be happy in his own skin.  Are we trying to pair them out of a need to pair two important characters?  It feels a bit forced.  Also, an age difference of more than 10 year seems a bit extreme... but that might just be society getting to me. :P 

Edited by Muggins

On 17/11/2017 at 6:52 AM, RShara said:

Okay okay I thought of something!  Jasnah's Queen now, so she'll need a consort and an heir.  And who would be more fitting than the first of the new Radiants (that isn't related to her or the same gender), Kaladin Stormblessed?!

The need for consort is often due to the need for a heir. With Elhokar's son as heir they may not need to. Plus considering how the Kholins run the family they may just make the next king or queen one of Adolin's and Shallan's children if they are more suited to it.

I wouldn't mind seing that, it would be fun, but I dont find it necesary either. 

Let's actually look at the dynamics of the relationship between Jasnah and Kaladin.

It is very clear that Jasnah is very appreciative of both Kaladin's skills and his Windrunner passions. It is also clear that she does not agree with his priorities. On the opposite side, Kaladin is completely lacking any sort of awe or fear that the more savvy lighteyes have for Jasnah, but he also is in total ideological disagreement with her.  As two equally opinionated Radiants and very strong personalities, they make for a good match in the Radiant War Council, because their bickering is what creates ideas. And this will continue in book 4,  and I am looking forward to Kaladin yelling at the Queen of Alethkar, and getting verbal pushback from her in return. 

I also understand how shipping works, specifically, that any edge of a bipartite graph is subject to it.  But I am also annoyed by the constant need to ship Kaladin to pretty much any woman he exchanges words with.  What's next? Lyn? Or maybe he can steal Rock's wife because she is like a Shallan surragate?  Or... Venli? When a romantic interest for Kaladin needs to be introduced, I am pretty certain Brandon won't be covert about it, and we will know..

Jasnah... We may have to wait another 20 years to find out what her deal is. Unlike many I do not think her childhood issues were due to sexual assault (what happened to her when she was six appears to have been something completely different), although judging by her response to Amaram, I would not be surprised if a drunken (or sober, although one must be a real idiot to do it sober)  Amamram did try to force himself on her at some point - during her adult years.

Haven't bothered to read the thread, so probably rehashing someone else but still felt compelled. 

Jasnah seems completely set on remaining autonomous. She's shown absolutely no interest in men in general, and repulsed by the very idea of marriage. 

She'll name Gavinor her Heir, as he was Heir already, and remain the untouchable Jasnah Kholin. 

I don’t see it. She’s too calous and analytical in her reasoning, and his whole thing is about doing what is right because it FEELS right. Also the age thing. For context, Lift is much closer to Kaladin in age

Edited by Bacon

Shallan was the first to fall for him, but basically all the women are going to have a thing for Kaladin:

The Windrunner stood like a sentinel, surveying the city. Was that going to become a thing for him? Always standing around up high somewhere?

He is clearly Stormlight Batman, and it's a well known fact that all women have a thing for Batman, even if they publicly say otherwise.

Edited by Salkara

So, I don't really have a horse in this race either way. But I see a lot of people bring up age. To those people, I must ask a question. Have you read Warbreaker? If so, how do you feel about Siri/Susebron? Because the difference in their age is how old Jasnah is, just for perspective. No one seems to bring that up. If that relationship is OK, why is Jasnah/Kaladin not?

27 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

So, I don't really have a horse in this race either way. But I see a lot of people bring up age. To those people, I must ask a question. Have you read Warbreaker? If so, how do you feel about Siri/Susebron? Because the difference in their age is how old Jasnah is, just for perspective. No one seems to bring that up. If that relationship is OK, why is Jasnah/Kaladin not?

I think you know very well why xD our norms as a society are still not fair for women, whatever we might try to tell ourselves. 

39 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

Most of the people bringing up age do so in the context of either phase of life or phycological development, so that's not a very comparable example to Kal/Jasnah.

2 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Most of the people bringing up age do so in the context of either phase of life or phycological development, so that's not a very comparable example to Kal/Jasnah

See, my problem with that is that Kaladin is very mature due to his experiences in life, while I don't believe Jasnah is completely done growing. If physical age is ignored, then Kaladin/Jasnah are closer to Siri/Susebron the latter of whom is basically a particularly intelligent 10-year old, psychologically speaking. And I'm not entirely convinced that people aren't taking physical age into consideration, which just confuses the issue further.

I just want to say.  The trope in fiction where two people immediately clash and repel each other, and sonehow that means its true love?  That's bonkers.  I'm way more inclined to believe that Brandon would have characters who are going to be a romantic item... you know... like each other?  Like Shallan and Adolin.  

Edited by Stairdweller

12 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

See, my problem with that is that Kaladin is very mature due to his experiences in life, while I don't believe Jasnah is completely done growing. If physical age is ignored, then Kaladin/Jasnah are closer to Siri/Susebron the latter of whom is basically a particularly intelligent 10-year old, psychologically speaking. And I'm not entirely convinced that people aren't taking physical age into consideration, which just confuses the issue further.

Still, Jasnah is in a completely different phase of life then Kaladin,  and brain development goes on untill around age (25 I think), those two things are still most of the arguments about the age difference I can find.