[OB] Kaladin and Jasnah as a couple

Thread89

4 minutes ago, Harbour said:

I waited for 3 years to see their dynamic. And in my opinion that ship just drowned in the first scene where they argued. The only part that confused me is that:

Did she flirt with him here? Well, if shed replace "your team" with "you" then id difinitely consider it as flirting.

But other than that weird part i found zero indication of potential for that ship. The next scene where Jasnah saw Kaladin's picture Shallan drew also show that she simply wasnt interested in the guy.

In OB there is no even hints on them being interested in each other. The only scene was the first one with Jasnah asking Shallan who is that Windrunner she didnt talk with yet. And even there BS didnt take an opportunity to make some hints.

Also i really didnt dig their banter. It felt forced on Jasnah part. She really lack empathy and that trait, i think, is very significat for Kaladin to be attracted. Tarah and Shallan show empathy. When he found out that laral became a cold woman he immediately lost any interest in her.

I see that Kaladin's passion and intensity and higher than average intelligence might be attractive for Jasnah though. But thats not enough. They talked only once in 1200+ pages didnt they?

First, that conversation there is what made me think of the dynamic that could occur between them.

Then Jasnah and Kaladin are not IMO the kind of people that see someone and like them immediately. They gradually warm up to you so that conversation might just hint without over exploration.

As a writer, if I have a plan to explore a relationship in a 10 part book with 7 to go I will not begin to fully exploring it until quite a bit further on but I will keep dropping tiny hints as the book goes on.

On the issue of Kaladin's past relationship, the 2 we are aware of so far didn't work out and this is because of specific reasons. Laral's case was childhood infatuation and also their lives took very different parts. Then Tarah just didn't 100% get Kaladin even if she empathised with him if not she would have asked him to abandon all he stood for to go and become a houseguard.

I think it would have been quite cliche and frankly cruel to Adolin if Shallan had been taken away from his character cos she gave him the grounding he needed as a person while for Shallan, Adolin is someone she can always rely on.

And age difference might not seem that weird now but would be reeeally weird if both Jasnah and Kaladin survive first half of SA and there will be 15 to 20 years time skip. Kaladin would be in his 30th and Jasnah eh 50th+ if not closer to 60. That would be weird if theyll hook up.

1 minute ago, Harbour said:

And age difference might not seem that weird now but would be reeeally weird if both Jasnah and Kaladin survive first half of SA and there will be 15 to 20 years time skip. Kaladin would be in his 30th and Jasnah eh 50th+ if not closer to 60. That would be weird if theyll hook up.

Age again. ....

He is currently 21 and Jasnah is 35

In a 15 year time skip, he would be 36 and she would be 50 yes but Jasnah has not stood out to me as character that would age badly but would just be more striking as she grows older.

Same with Kaladin and he would be edging towards 40 himself..

Jasnah reads to me like someone who not interested in marriage, nor is she interested in men.  That's not to say specifically she's a lesbian.  She just reminds me of someone I know for whom that sort of relationship is just...distasteful.  She prizes the freedom she has as someone without a spouse and likes not being beholden to anyone.  She also, just from a general sort of disposition standpoint, would honestly make a very bad person to spend an intimate life with - the constant disapproval and measuring.  She's grown enough that she know she does this and sometimes tries to rein it in...but not enough to bet that a marriage with her would last.

Welcome @Thread89. Please try to avoid double posting. If you need to quote more than one person, you can use the "Multiquote" button (the plus at the bottom of each post). If you need to add to what you previously published, please use "Edit."

That said, I'll admit I'm not overly fond of the Jasnah and Kaladin ship. I think their age difference is a bit wide for me, and I don't really think they have much in common. The conversation in Oathbringer seemed to be a confirmation that they are wildly different people who aren't going to get along very well and that it'll be a struggle for them to work together.

3 minutes ago, FeatherWriter said:

Welcome @Thread89. Please try to avoid double posting. If you need to quote more than one person, you can use the "Multiquote" button (the plus at the bottom of each post). If you need to add to what you previously published, please use "Edit."

That said, I'll admit I'm not overly fond of the Jasnah and Kaladin ship. I think their age difference is a bit wide for me, and I don't really think they have much in common. The conversation in Oathbringer seemed to be a confirmation that they are wildly different people who aren't going to get along very well and that it'll be a struggle for them to work together.

Hello FeatherWriter,

Thanks for welcoming me and pitching in on this conversation...

I will make sure to avoid double posting like you said.

I can assure you that some of the most successful relationships are between people with contrasting personalities that you owner how they ended up together.

As for the conversation, it just struck me as a possible plot point with the way they bantered words with each other. They might not seem like the most compatible but I would not be against a plot point in that direction.

And back to this age debate again, I just don't see the age difference as a very big roadblock just as legal LGBT married would have been unthinkable a couple decades ago and it is generally accepted now asides from some staunch conservatives.

It all depends on how you want work your plot as a writer. 

Finally, in other make a plot more surprising a writer can choose to make 2 characters seem disinterested at first and Baam! a twist is snuck on you.

It's all just banter and speculation though..

9 minutes ago, Thread89 said:

And back to this age debate again, I just don't see the age difference as a very big roadblock just as legal LGBT married would have been unthinkable a couple decades ago and it is generally accepted now asides from some staunch conservatives.

I disagree that LGBT and age difference are in any way similar problems. LGBT is "is it acceptable to go against biological sex?" while age difference is simple squick of "you're having a relationship with someone who could be your child/parent". But as I said before, I don't think that it is even possible to get people to agree on wheter or not the age difference is too much, and in my opinion it should not play a role in this discussion, as it will undoubtly take over the thread and keep doing so, while it does not actually look at the characters as characters, and therefore doesn't actually discuss them as a couple; it only discusses what age difference is appropriate and what age difference isn't.

I agree that Jasnah is fine on her own, and doesn't need a romantic relationship to flesh her out.  Also, she doesn't seem particularly interested in any romance at the moment, and is perfectly happy to be as she is.  Also, Jasnah and Kaladin seriously have *nothing* in common.  It's not even a case of "opposites attract."  It's just a total lack of any kind of rapport or commonality. 

He's emotionally driven, conflicted, stubborn and has lots of issues.  She's rational, logical, strong, confident, and can't stand unresolved issues or irrational emotions.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

He's emotionally driven, conflicted, stubborn and has lots of issues.  She's rational, logical, strong, confident, and can't stand unresolved issues or irrational emotions.

You beat me to it :)

The gap between them is just too far and I saw their arguments in Part 2 coming as soon as Part 1 ended.

1 minute ago, Ailvara said:

I'm really surprised, that this topic was directed into whether this would actually happen and if it would make sense. Come on, it's a shipping thread. Give up logic and have fun. 

Very good point!

Just try to bend your rationale to "just maybe"

What would it be like if this actually happen?

Well if to talk about fun i see Kaladin due to his passionate nature will bring some romantic moments for Jasnah which she will appreciate. She most likely had bad experience in the past and probably view men with some exceptions as disgusting brutes. I bet she will love looking at him working hard or helping his people to do stuff.

On other hand shell lesser his struggle to grasp the meaning of peace with some logic and smart moves and will ease his pain making the logical jokes about it.

Edited by Harbour

17 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

I'm really surprised, that this topic was directed into whether this would actually happen and if it would make sense. Come on, it's a shipping thread. Give up logic and have fun. 

Can't do it.  This pairing is just too unlikely and would probably be awful.  Sorry!

Hi, all!

I just don't see a romantic relationship as part of anything Jasnah wants--or, most importantly, needs. Syl notes that Kal *needs* someone to lighten him. Shallan knows that she *needs* Adolin to ground her and to provide her with confidence and support. Jasnah chooses Renarin--her family--over her logic. But while she chooses mercy and love over logic, she still does so with logic as its underpinning. I don't think you ask a Radiant to forgo something so central to her essence. Jasnah's true love is knowledge and information, and she does so in the service to her family, to humankind, and to knowledge itself. I guess I had more fun with the Kal/Shallan/Adolin shipping from book 2, and even am intrigued a bit with an Azure/Kal ship, but Jasnah is complete on her own. At least until she has to face her own insanity, which I imagine will come in a few more books. :-)

3 minutes ago, Bliev said:

Hi, all!

I just don't see a romantic relationship as part of anything Jasnah wants--or, most importantly, needs. Syl notes that Kal *needs* someone to lighten him. Shallan knows that she *needs* Adolin to ground her and to provide her with confidence and support. Jasnah chooses Renarin--her family--over her logic. But while she chooses mercy and love over logic, she still does so with logic as its underpinning. I don't think you ask a Radiant to forgo something so central to her essence. Jasnah's true love is knowledge and information, and she does so in the service to her family, to humankind, and to knowledge itself. I guess I had more fun with the Kal/Shallan/Adolin shipping from book 2, and even am intrigued a bit with an Azure/Kal ship, but Jasnah is complete on her own. At least until she has to face her own insanity, which I imagine will come in a few more books. :-)

You're taking this far too seriously.

4 hours ago, Harbour said:

This of course is assuming that surgebinders don't have extended lifespans. We've seen that excessive Investiture can make people live longer on other cosmere worlds (Elantrians, Spook, Awakeners at the fifth heightening, etc.). It's entirely possible that a full Radiant may have a life expectancy in the hundreds of years which would make the age difference between Kaladin and Jasnah much less significant.

Edited by Salkara

5 minutes ago, Salkara said:

This of course is assuming that surgebinders don't have extended lifespans. We've seen that excessive Investiture can make people live longer on other cosmere worlds (Elantrians, Spook, Awakeners at the fifth heightening, etc.). It's entirely possible that a full Radiant may have a life expectancy in the hundreds of years which would make the age difference between Kaladin and Jasnah much less significant.

Love this...

That would make age a moot point.