Long Game 3: Blackwater Village

Peng the Just

Joe Sat in his store, alone. His friends and Enemies had all abandoned him. They were all readying some words  about Better Words. But Joe Didn't Have Any words to Occupy his thoughts, except the words of those who were Reading. Oh Why Can't I get WoR!!!

"Yep" Joe Said, "It's Going to be Quiet today. I Hope that Gang I used to Love, the Devil's Den, is doing alright. I need to get me Self some Words."

Edited by The Only Joe

Arst had been listening to Cyrus at the square, but decided to keep silent during the remainder of the meeting.

Three people dead, he thought bitterly. Not by natural causes.

Who would be next? Arst mostly kept to himself, but he had some acquaintances in the village. He respected Cyrus, for breaking them out of the plantations, but he still didn't have real 'friends'.

I think we've got everyone we're going to get. sign ups are now closed. Role PMs should be out within half an hour.

Edit: grammar

Edit 2: PMs are out!

night 1

Cryus barricaded himself in his hovel, aided by all who would help. There was no way the killers could get to him without him taking several of them with him. He heard something. Instantly, he flared tin, bringing definition to the distant noise. It was screaming... screaming for help, too distant to be heard without allomancy. Lord Ruler, He thought I was wrong about them targeting me.

He smashed through the door, startling the villagers he had asked to guard it, and shot off in a Pewter enhanced dash to the outskirts of the village to the origin. I was so sure he thought I was so sure they would try to kill me.

As he reached the source of the noise, he looked up to see a hooded figure leaning against a building, in no visible distress screaming for help in the voice of a little girl. Cyrus suddenly realized he'd been tricked. The figure looked up and smiled, pulling the hood off.

"you?!" Cyrus yelled in shock. Another figure came from behind Cyrus and sunk an obsidian dagger through his chest. Cyrus spent his last moments of life turning to see his murderer.

"and you?" Cyrus cried, then fell on his face, dead.

And that's exactly how his body was found. Face down in the ash, dagger still sticking through his chest.

But the night was only just begining

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night 1 begins and will end in about 45 hours! I hope the slight overlap with the other game doesn't bother anyone.

Edited by jasonpenguin

Arst ran toward the screaming, sword in his hand. He passed down the street. Another death? He ran into the square, and stopped, dead in his tracks. Cyrus was lying face down, dead on the ground. Arst yelled, and drew his sword. He searched near to the corpse, then farther, but there was no sign of the killer.

And now they didn't have a leader. Arst walked back to the body, and knelt down next to Cyrus, dropping his sword.

"I will avenge whatever happened to you, Cyrus. I will find your murderer, and kill him."

Lents stood on a rooftop, still as a metal statue, crouching by a large, rusty weathervane so his suit would not stand out to any Coinshots or Lurchers.

What seemed to be a jeweller's glass was suspended in front of his eye - but this one was for seeing things far away. He focused on the commotion in the street below. Should the murderer return to Cyrus's body - Lents would be ready. His clockwork guns creaked as he shifted his weight by miniscule degrees.

Dyrri the somewhat elderly master thatcher isnt as quick as he used to be, and arrives alittle while later, also drawn by the screaming.

"A killer. Here. Why did we let the last few groups settle here? You can´t trust the young. All this violence. Poor Cyrus, he was wise for his years, a noble soul even if he was to young for his place."

The screams had stopped as suddenly as they had started. And Blackwater Village was left with a corpse.

Gamut made his way to the front of the gathering crowd, trepidation creeping up him like a cold shiver. Before he saw the body he already knew who it was.
Blimey. He warn't us this 'ould happen. Gamut thought solemnly. Knowing something might happen and seeing the aftermath were two different things, though.

"Avast, and listen up, maties!" Gamut shouted out. "I want ye to fetch me Selvar and Raubber. The towns' Doctor and Undertaker." He thought for a moment and then added, "And grab Meta, too! Let's see if he's half good a detective as he claims."

Everybody just stood around and stared dumbly for a moment. Gamut could tell they would be reluctant to follow his orders. He clapped his hands. "Smartly, now! Cyrus here was a good man, and he don't deserve to be left out like no Bilge Rat to be gawked at."

Gamut knew people wouldn't take kindly to him taking charge like this. But somebody had to do it. And he had appointed himself as Provost. Maintaining order and keeping everybody moving without any formal authority was one of Gamut's favorite skills. It was when he felt truly alive.

I will find the mutineers that did this. I will fit them for their chains and hold no quarter. They will pay for this. Gamut silently vowed this to himself as people finally responded to his commands and went to fetch help.

Clan had difficulty sleeping, that wasn't unusual. He often longed for the easy sleep of his youth. Tonight was worse than most though. The deaths and the meeting yesterday had disturbed him. So many villagers uniting behind Cyrus, proudly claiming they would protect him, so certain that they could catch the murderers. A bold optimism that they could take whatever came out them. Overconfidence killed, every time. Clan had seen the like before. He knew that he had made the others angry with his outburst, but it had needed saying. With murderers in the village inviting everyone to help protect you is a wonderful way to give one of the murderer a place behind your back and hand him a knife.

So it was that when the screaming started Clan woke immediately. He sighed, then pulled aside the covers and slowly levered himself out of bed. He had slept in his clothes, expecting something like this to happen. So he didn't have to waste the few minutes it would take to get dressed. Mists but he hated being old. He picked up his cane and slowly but resolutely stepped across the room and out into the mists towards the sound of the screaming.

By the time Clan arrived a small crowd had gathered around the body. Clan pushed through to check the body for himself. With difficulty Clan rolled Cyrus's body over, revealing the dagger through his heart. He cursed to himself, there was no way even Cyrus could have survived that. Clan bowed his head.

Oh you mist-cursed fool, why did you come out here?

Asp lay shivering in his hovel. The scream coming from somewhere in the village had woken him up, but the silence that had followed was what kept him awake. 

They've finally come for me!, he thought. The Canton of Lead!

He had known this day would come, and had prepared for it. Frantically he searched for his secret stash of lead shavings. But he could not find them. They were gone. Asp took out the measly amount of lead shavings that he always kept on his person. It was all he had left. It would have to do. Slowly he moved to crouch in the far corner of the hovel. Ready to attack any assailants that entered.

Mabi was stunned along with the other villagers.  She was still processing what had happened.  

Cyrus had run out the door surprising herself and so many others.  None had been able to follow him quickly enough, at least not quickly enough to try to protect him.  She followed the others dismayed at what had happened.  Despite all that had happened, the villagers rallying around him he was dead.

Did he betray them?  Why would he run out the door away from the protection and comfort of the others?  Why would he ...?  Questions turned within her, preoccupying her thoughts, she had not processed what the others were saying mutely following them after the horror that she had experienced.

I was almost hopping I would be booted, but since I haven't been told otherwise, I guess I'm in.

Erendi was on edge. He thought this place was going to be safe, somewhere he wouldn't have to constantly watch over his shoulder for Inquisitors...So much for wishful thinking.

Maw saw Cyrus dash out of his hovel and instantly was confused. Running out, with the others who had sworn to protect him, he saw two figures stab their leader. "No!" The figures dashed away too quickly for the group to catch them.

So,it looks like two Spiked? I think there'd be more.

Edited by Mailliw73

Bartson grinned, tucking his sorrow within the recesses of the persona he had slowly, agonizingly, built up over the past three decades. The mind numbing pain would be good for him; he could learn from it, cultivate it, and turn himself into a better person. That man, the being who hid within the chrysallis of his persona.

But now, Bartson would be making money. Nothing made alcohol flow faster than fresh grief and fear.

Meta was still in his small clothes and a robe he couldn't seem to get closed, as he was dragged from his shack by a determined crowd. As they finally stopped pulling on him, he cinched the robe and yawned. He seemed oblivious to the death at his feet. 

"What seems to be the problem?" He asked.

A few of the crowd just stared dumbfounded; a few glared at him. 

Finally, he realized what must be disturbing them. "What? You were the ones who burst into my home and practically threw me into the streets! If you wanted modesty, let a man get ready first!"

That's when he noticed the body. He gasped and turned as pale as a the mist flowing around them. Then he sprinted back towards his shack and slammed the door. 

Five minutes later, he emerged again, this time fully clothed and he had a bag filled with various odds and ends. Everything from tweezers and pliers to vials and liquids. He strode through the crowd, barking orders. 

"Back! No one touch the scene! Create a perimeter and someone get me some light!"

He set his bag down a few feet away from the body and he pulled out his magnifying glass and a few other instruments. He started circling the body, searching the ground around it first, then moving closer and closer in. Every now and then, he'd pick something up. Sometimes he would place it in vial. Other times, he threw it back down. 

When he finally reached Cyrus' body, he checked it over from head to foot. After 10 minutes of searching, he finally stood up and faced the crowd. 

"I have determined that this is indeed Cyrus and that he died due to a dagger to the chest." He nodded satisfactorily and started repacking his gear.

Edited by Metacognition

Lents stared at the fool of a detective. The strange man was clearly... unhinged. And this was LENTS saying it. Lents was crouched on a rooftop, wearing metal power armour and considering exactly how to dispatch every person in view within ten seconds. Lents though the detective was unhinged, or a fool. This was indicative of something.

Arst stared at Meta. "That was your great deduction? If you're a detective, at least tell us things that we don't know."
Arst was angry. He was angry at Cyrus, for going and dying, almost abandoning the town. He was angry at Meta, for not seeming to take this seriously.

"People are dying, Mr. Detective, and all you have is a toolkit which you don't need, and a sick sense of humor."

Arst walked away from the square. The night was long, and he was tired. Now, plus the deaths that Cyrus had mentioned, there were four people dead. And nobody had a clue on who was killing them.

Gamut had to wipe a tear from his eye...

That Meta fella' was downright hilarious. He had Gamut laughing so hard, it was already worth all the effort of having him dragged outside in his small clothes. Pity he didn't say anything else much helpful.

It could also be some sort of gambit, Gamut warned himself. And he should know. He had pulled off more than a few sly gambits in his days, and was rather good at him. Or so he thought -- and the fact he was still alive after pulling them all those years should be evidence enough.

Is anybody going to clean this bloody body up? Or are we to just leave it here for everyone to look at until the Mists claim it?

Gamut figured there wasn't much else to be done in the mean time, and decided to head back to the tavern and divulge himself. Lurcher's Inn had some of the best Nelson's Folly in town. He barged in through the door and yelled out for the bartender, "A draught of your strongest Clap of Thunder, if it pleases ye." He tossed a few coins over at Bartson who deftly caught them. "And keep 'em coming."

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Joe Sat Quietly, Staring at the Body of His long time Friend. Though No emotions showed on his face, Inside, He Raged. He was Furious.  Why did they Have to kill Cyrus? He was the Best of us. He led us out of Captivity. His Killer Will Suffer for this.

Joe got up and begin to talk quietly. "Chidden, Start keeping track of our Allomantic Customers. Lents, you can have as much metal as you need till you Kill the Spiked. Meta, Can you try to figure out Who owned the Dagger? An Obsidian Blade seems rare."

And Jason Peng, Are PM's allowed?

EDIT: Personal Detective Work; We all heard a Women's Scream from inside His Hovel, yet there are no woman dead here, so, someone who can Scream very High is likely a spiked. In Past Villages, the Spiked have worked in teams of 4, so I think there were 4 people killing Cyrus. 

Edited by The Only Joe

Dane could not stop Cyrus from runing when he heard the scream and he could not follow fast enough to help. In fact he could do nothing. When he arrived, feet aching and out of breath, there was already a mass of people gathered around the corpse.

You are, were, way to nice Boss. Just take care of yourself sometimes, where ever you are now.

He just stood silently before the body not sure what he could do, as a feeling of dread spread inside his body.

Alright. My first questions will be: Are Seeker, Lurcher, and Coinshot all "safe" roles like in the first game? (Only villagers and not spiked could have those powers) They are listed in bold, unlike all the other roles (except for the new ones, of course. Which then we have to try and determine if those are also villager-only roles or not as well).

Or will Peng be devious and purposely not let us know for sure?

Also, how many Spiked do we think there are this game? If it has similar proportions to the first game, we should have at least 4, and maybe even 5. (Definitely more than the two revealed in the write-up, I think)

Umm. I'm trying to think of anything else we should try and get clarified at the beginning of the game before we accidentally hang a few of our own and then start asking questions. Can anybody think of anything else?

Alright. My first questions will be: Are Seeker, Lurcher, and Coinshot all "safe" roles like in the first game? (Only villagers and not spiked could have those powers) They are listed in bold, unlike all the other roles (except for the new ones, of course. Which then we have to try and determine if those are also villager-only roles or not as well).

There are no 'safe' roles in this game. The spiked could have any role.