Long Game 3: Blackwater Village

Peng the Just

Lents, I offered the Suit of Armor. And i'm selling Lead to Asp, so if he doesn't have any you can buy some from me. And Thank you Wes.

That armor was supposed to kill Lents...

EDIT: Wow, forgot to refresh page before posting. 5 new posts..., And i'll Sell lead for Cheaper.

Edited by The Only Joe

Asp agreed with Forage (who seemed to be speaking his thoughts aloud). Asp didn't like this man either. Why he seemed to take Asp for a fool. A clockwork mouse? A spike from an Inquisitor? Like any of that was worth anything! The bent copper clip was the only thing of value that he offered.

And finally commendation for shiny pants! That was the last straw! Asp wouldn't let Lent insult Asp's dignity any longer! Why, in one his past lives he would've skinned the man for daring to mention shiny pants. Luckily for Lent the current Asp was a man of peace and dignity and honour. Asp whipped out the stick he had with him from earlier on.

"You dare to impugn my dignity?!??!? Next time you do so I'll challenge you to a duel!"

With that said Asp went running off down the road.

Edited by Aspren

He tried. Lents tried so very hard. He'd go out and try to talk to people from behind his clockwork mask. But the ones that weren't crazy were pompous and arrogant. (A small part of his brain asked whether he wasn't, but he ignored it). Well, it seemed that there was only one answer to the problem of humanity. He had to fix it, and, well, you had to clean the ash off a crop to keep it healthy.

Lents prepared to make his metal pants, finished them in record time, and moved on. He found his jars of poison and began applying them to the weapons loaded in his suit. The clockwork mouse was disassembled, it's acid-spraying mechanism rebuilt inside the mask. Thin pads of leather coated the joints of the suit, cutting down on the clanking. Finally, a coat of black paint with soot rubbed in took the gleam off the metal.

It was almost time.

Patience, he thought. Something's going down, and when it does, I can use it. Blackwater Village will run red with blood.

He settled into the comforting, cool curves of the metal and let his awareness expand and take it as a part of him. His fingers held death, and he could jump meters into the air. He was an automaton now. Even a Thug would be hard-pressed to take him. Delicate mechanisms moved above his skin like a second set of veins, and Lents felt alive.

I have no grudge with the merchants, Lents recited. My oath is against those who prey on the innocent. I will stalk the night like a Mistborn. I will kill without mercy and defend without reward.

The clockwork legs, soot-blackened, creaked into movement as Lents pulled up the hidden trapdoor and walked down the stairs.

Time for a little practice. Justice was near.

Edited by Swimmingly

Beneath a sky blanketed in ash, an empire, a fractured pattern of rivers and roads stretching like a great spider perched on the top of the world. The rivers run with ash, shades of brown and grey, but only one - a small tributary - runs pure black. It's waters are the colour of ink, oily and dirty.

Beside that river, hidden from that empire in its final hours, there is a village. Blackwater, a refuge from the predations of nobility and caste.

Blackwater is a peaceful place, a place on the edge of chaos. An ash-swept square looks upon a dingy statue, some disconsolate shops, a few blocks of stained and rickety hovels.

Beneath the tinkers' shop looking onto the square, a vigilante goes through relentless motions. Lents; tinker, mechanist, and warrior of the night, pauses. Cloth cutouts adorn the walls - burnt, singed, eaten with acid, some covered with live ants.

Chaos is close. The time for justice, the time for death and retribution is near.

He looks to the ceiling, through the floorboards and ceiling of his shop. His jaw opens, his clockwork mask ticks.

Not yet, he whispers. But soon.

EDIT: I am offend. You put "Psychopath" right back in your post, sir. Directly!

Edited by Swimmingly

Gamut was sitting idly by and passing time at a table by himself tossing a pair of dice. He hadn't gambled in a while, but winning money off of suckers was yet another skill he possessed. He cast the dice three times in a row, only slightly pausing to look at what he threw before scooping them up and tossing them again. To most people this happened so fast they only really saw a blur.

"Three pairs of ones," said a voice nearby. It sounded muffled and slightly mechanical, which could only mean it was Lents, the Town Tinker wearing that crazy mask again.

"I say we lynch him!" Cried Joe who was hovering nearby, pointing at Lents. "His face really creeps me out!"

"Aye, three Tineyes. A win or a lose, depending on what you're playing." Gamut says quietly. Keeping your voice above a whisper and making it travel so everyone around you listens raptly was just another of Gamut's various set of skills. "I don't think we should be giving out Black Spots just yet," he says, addressing Joe. "The Tinker Man gives me the jeebies too, but I don't think we should start making anyone dance the hempen jig until Captain Cyrus tells us what's going on here."

"And speaking of which," Gamut adds in, jabbing a finger at Mabi. "Ye lass don't know what kind of carousers there be 'round here. I recommend staying over at Lurcher's Inn before ye Crack Jenny's Tea Cup."

"And stop editing me list!" He shouts at everyone after another pause. Among all of his wide range of skills, complaining was one of the things he was best at.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Hey guys!  Sorry I'm late.  You remember me, right?  It's me, Chidden!  Well I wanted to announce to you all that I've decided to be a HERO.  That's right.  I'm turning fifteen next week, and because I'm good and old now, I think it's high time I save the world.  I fashioned this dueling cane here, see, and I plan on becoming a mighty warrior.  

I know Maw!  I already said I was sorry for ruining your fig tree to make my cane.  I promised I would pay you back.  You don't have to embarrass me in front of the whole village.

Maw grumbled a reply under his breath, cursing the parents of this delusional child. "But, kid, did you ever pay me back? No. And who do you think you are that you'll just save us all?"

Chidden thought that Maw was being a little bit unfair.  How was I supposed to know the tree was still alive?  I'm no farmer.  That means it wasn't my fault.  

He straightened his back and looked the farmer in the eyes.  "I'll pay you back.  Name your price!  Um... just please don't name it very high."  

"I suppose so. That tree was worth a full twenty-five boxings. If you pay that, then the kid's all yours. I don't want him anyways," Maw said. At least this Joe was willing to help others. That other Joe, Maw didn't even want to think about what he had done to his family.

Chidden wasn't sure about this Joe fellow.  The metallurgist had a strange way of talking where he added too much emphasis every few words, and had earlier been yelling about lynching a man in a metal mask.  That just reeked of madness.  Besides, who ever head of someone named Joe?  I wonder if he's the only one. 

The boy wanted to be a hero, not an apprentice shop owner.  He had planned on devoting most of his time to his training.  But if Maw decided to bring him before the Blackwater Village Counsel and demand some sort of payback, Chidden would be punished.  Chidden hated being punished.  

He grimaced, then put on a big, fake smile and a cheery voice.  "I'd love to take the job, Master Joe.  I think it's just the thing I need to learn the value of hard work and responsibility."
And as soon as I'm done learning those, I'll run away and save the world.

Here Maw, have 30 Boxings for your tree and Intrest. Now Boy, I'm Not adding Emphasis. I just Like Capitalizing Things. And Don't think I don't know your Tyep. You're going to Learn What you can, and then run off on some Hairbrained Scheme to Save The World. Well Let me tell you Something. Vin, The Ascended Warrior tried the Same thing, And Released a Dark God of Rage And Hate."

Mononoke Refrence

"Oh and Maw? You keep Talking about some other Joe. There is No other Joe. I'm the only One."

"Thanks, Joe, for the money. Take the boy. I never have liked his kind. I don't know what you're talking about, Joe," Maw added darkly. "I haven't said a word about another Joe. I don't know what you think you're hearing but it's probably not good."

a few notifications:

1) this game is very strictly a WOR free zone. Some people are senisitive to spoilers and are getting their books later and I want to make sure the game is open to everyone.

2) sign-ups are going to close soon (in a day or two.) Joe, you mentioned a friend who was going to sign up?

Joe Stared at the Note that one of the Urchins had given Him. My Cousin, is Dead? Killed just inside the Village Gates? Now I definatley need to find this killer. He Will Pay. Or She I Suppose. 

2) sign-ups are going to close soon (in a day or two.) Joe, you mentioned a friend who was going to sign up?

He Changed his mind. But since I had already Role played about my 'cousin' coming, He just got killed.

Edited by The Only Joe

Lents prodded the body with a metal clad arm, in several places. No clinks of metal on metal, no suspicious bulges. Not even any damned earrings. So, probably not Spiked, an Inquisitor, or another agent of the Empire than.

Lents carefully removed several poisoned clay fragments from the base of the man's neck, whacked the corpse in several places with a sledgehammer that had a horseshoe welded on the head, and settled into a steady run back to Blackwater, shiny pants assisting each bound. Time to inform Joe about his cousin's unfortunate demise. How Lents had been going for a moonlight stroll and just found him there - dead! Trampled by a horse, must be. Yeeeeeeeessssss.

Ok, that was weird, thought Chidden.  Joe just talked about something I never said out loud.  Creepy.  Can he hear my thoughts?  

Plus, what's he saying about a Sendant Warrior and a dark god?  I've never met anyone named Vin.  

Joe Stared at the Note that one of the Urchins had given Him. My Cousin, is Dead? Killed just inside the Village Gates? Now I definatley need to find this killer. He Will Pay. Or She I Suppose. 

He Changed his mind. But since I had already Role played about my 'cousin' coming, He just got killed.

His Insurance Agent Will Pay. I Get 50,000 Boxings from the Insurance Policy. plus another 10,000 Boxings when the Killer's Found. Thanks Random Killer! And Chidden, Thoughts are White, not Black. If you don't want people reading you're Thoughts, Think them, don't say them.

"Say," Gamut suddenly says, speaking up out of nowhere. "I dunno about ye lads, but these last few spans I've been seeing crazy things out of the corner of me eye! I swear to ye I'm not yankin' any chains!"

He raises his voice and begins to wave his arms about, drawing everybody's attention -- and thus convincing him he is actually insane. "I make an Oath on the Survivor's Ghost I've been seeing ghostly, shimmering sentences scrawled into the walls or floating in mid-air. I can never make heads or tails of what they say, I've just been catching brief glimpses as I'm turning my head or roundin' a corner."

Gamut began to pace, in a full rant now. "I'm not sure what to make of these odd occurrences. But I have a feeling it's important. I may be gone and busy for a few days, studying some research material I have coming in me mail. But I want ye laddies to know I'll still be around. But I may only pop in here for Town Meetings and a drink or two at Lurcher's Inn."

He looks around the room and meets everyones' eyes. "Just thought I'd give ye a fair warning."

OOC: So basically my way of saying in RP that I'll only be stopping in here at the Elimination section. I am definitely avoiding the rest of the forum until I finish WoR. (and yeah, yeah. Doesn't really sound super-piratey. But cut me some slack!)