[OB] Funny moments in Oathbringer

redgarlic68

“Storms, boy. What did you do? Hit a lighteyes?”

“Yes,” Kaladin said. Then punched him.

He bashed Roshone right in the face. A solid hit, exactly like Hav had taught him. Thumb outside of his fist, he connected with the first two knuckles of his hand across Roshone’s cheekbone, then followed through to slide across the front of the face. Rarely had he delivered such a perfect punch. It barely even hurt his fist.

I let out a whoop when reading/ hearing that (audiobook). It was just so deserved. And delivered in slow motion too.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:28 PM, Ammanas said:

When Jasnah is pontificating to her mother and Navani thinks to herself

Here we go.

Lectured by my own daughter again.

I think you have to be a parent to see the humor in it

One thing I really like about Jasnah is that she's an advanced enough know-it-all nerd to realize that she's doing this, but she still can't stop herself completely.  (This from someone who still keeps a running tally in his head about how many questions he has answered in any class or meeting with a strictly self-enforced STOP TALKING cutoff).

Here's a goofy one I somehow missed the first time through, when the Shadesmar crew is hiking to Thaylen City and Shallan is lagging behind the extremely in-shape soldier guys:

Without Stormlight, Shallan trailed farthest behind, Pattern at her side.  Exhaustionspren circled in the air above, like large chickens.

Large chickens circling exhausted people.... Shallan literally has vultures flying in circles above her head like a cartoon character :P

One I totally missed the first time through, but had me laughing at the mental image of it: Roomba crabs

“This was casually eaten by wild beasts that were wide and flat, like walking discs, with claws only on the underside to shove the grain into their mouths.”

On 11/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, Shadowmancer said:

And how the entire Bridge Four crew rallied to Drehy's defense, but Kaladin's line about calling Renarin "feminine" killed me.

"Drehy, you are literally courting a man."

I laughed so hard at this my roommate thought I was going to pass out

“Maybe you should let me teach you how to use a side sword. You’re pretending to be head of our bodyguards tonight, and you’re lighteyed today. It looks strange for you to walk around without a side sword.” “Maybe I’m one of those punchy guys.” Adolin stopped in place and grinned at Kaladin. “Did you just say ‘punchy guys’?” “You know, ardents who train to fight unarmed.” “Hand to hand?” “Hand to hand.” “Right,” Adolin said. “Or ‘punchy guys,’ as everyone calls them.” Kaladin met his eyes, then found himself grinning back. “It’s the academic term.” “Sure. Like swordy fellows. Or spearish chaps.” “I once knew a real axalacious bloke,” Kaladin said. “He was great at psychological fights.” “Psychological fights?” “He could really get inside someone’s head.

Axalacious bloke, I love it

They've already probably been said. 

Lopen swearing the Second Ideal on accident. I laughed then snorted out loud in the middle of a crowded Starbucks. 

Lopen caressing the ground, trying to fly. 

Pretty much all of the witty banter from Syl. Of course, Pattern's lines in Part 1. Again laughed out loud in the same Starbucks. They'll have me committed any day now. 

Kaladin making fun of how Adolin dresses. 

Jasnah's savage burn to Amaram. I let out an involuntary "You go girl" and woke up my fiance.  

When Dalinar casually strolls into a Highstorm and flips of a god damnation Thunderclast made me both thing "damnation" and laugh at the same time.

Also literally every exchange between Dalinar and Lift

"Do you have a weapon?"

"Nope. Can't read."

I just imagine Lifts impish grin, and Dalinar with a look of complete and utter confusion

Edited by Blazenella

On 08/12/2017 at 8:18 AM, Blacksmithki said:

Lopen's Spren being taught to make "rude gestures" to random people made me laugh.

I totally forgot about this. I can't wait for interactions with Lopen's spren and Syl. 

On 08/12/2017 at 11:19 AM, Ookla the Variable said:

When Dalinar casually strolls into a Highstorm and flips of a god damnation Thunderclast made me both thing "damnation" and laugh at the same time.

Also literally every exchange between Dalinar and Lift

I just imagine Lifts impish grin, and Dalinar with a look of complete and utter confusion

Edit: DO NOT UPVOTE THIS!!!! I HAVE REACHED 69 UPVOTES AND IT MUST REMAIN THIS WAY!!!!

I agree. When she tells Dalinar that she doesn't trust him because of his butt, I lost all control. 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Ookla the Eagle said:

There's something darkly humorous about when Dalinar is shouting his sins to the sky, immediately after "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN!" Odium can't get a word in sideways, Dalinar just keeps talking right over him.

This is literally the climax page. There is no way you saw that humor until a reread.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:50 AM, Foxx said:

Chaperone Pattern, you glorious, amazing spren, you!

So many other moments, too. Lopen and his reassuring the ground was one of the best Lopen moments ever. Everything that guy does is brilliant.

and here i though Pattern was trying to tell us something.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, 

Can someone explain me what is funny about this moment?

"“Highly unlikely,” Shallan agreed. “They keep this deck well maintained, so there really aren’t any splinters.” “With my luck, I’d find one anyway.” “I had a splinter once,” Shallan noted. “It eventually got out of hand.” “You . . . you did not just say that.” “Yes, you obviously imagined it. What a sick, sick mind you have, Kaladin.”

I am spanish and I don't understand the joke :(

6 minutes ago, Grajilla said:

Hello everyone, 

Can someone explain me what is funny about this moment?

"“Highly unlikely,” Shallan agreed. “They keep this deck well maintained, so there really aren’t any splinters.” “With my luck, I’d find one anyway.” “I had a splinter once,” Shallan noted. “It eventually got out of hand.” “You . . . you did not just say that.” “Yes, you obviously imagined it. What a sick, sick mind you have, Kaladin.”

I am spanish and I don't understand the joke :(

To say something "got out of hand" means that the situation has become crazy, out of control. She's also saying that the splinter was removed, also 'out of her hand' - a little pun.

The sick mind thing I imagine is about the Vorin safehand, and how any joke about a Vorin woman's hand has a 50/50 chance of being inappropriate.

11 minutes ago, Greywatch said:

To say something "got out of hand" means that the situation has become crazy, out of control. She's also saying that the splinter was removed, also 'out of her hand' - a little pun.

The sick mind thing I imagine is about the Vorin safehand, and how any joke about a Vorin woman's hand has a 50/50 chance of being inappropriate.

I understand the meaning of  "got out of hand", perhaps I am not getting the meaning of splinter? Is there another meaning apart from "sliver of wood"?

8 minutes ago, Grajilla said:

I understand the meaning of  "got out of hand", perhaps I am not getting the meaning of splinter? Is there another meaning apart from "sliver of wood"?

It is a tiny sliver of wood, but what makes it a splinter in this case is that it's embedded in someone's skin and can be painful.