[OB] Worldhopper spotting

Havoc

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

which implies either some world-hopping

I'm trying to recall, but isn't there a quote somewhere (Arcanum Unbounded, Epigraphs, somewhere else) that the Heralds are at best partially human, and definitely not of the local variety.

That makes me think that the Heralds are humans, or were humans, from somewhere besides Roshar (the planet, not the solar system).

53 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I'm trying to recall, but isn't there a quote somewhere (Arcanum Unbounded, Epigraphs, somewhere else) that the Heralds are at best partially human, and definitely not of the local variety.

That makes me think that the Heralds are humans, or were humans, from somewhere besides Roshar (the planet, not the solar system).

Brandon has RAFOed several "where are the Heralds from" questions. What I think you are thinking of is Mraize, who states that Tezim (Ishar) mighr not be human, and if he is, he is not of the local variety. That doesn't really tell us anything about the Heralds origin world though, since they are more or less cognitive shadows, which isn't really human, and thus explains Mraizes suspiciousness.

35 minutes ago, Ookla the Toasted said:

What I think you are thinking of is Mraize, who states that Tezim (Ishar) mighr not be human, and if he is, he is not of the local variety.

Yup, that's what I was thinking of. That, combined with the RAFO answers to where the Heralds are from makes me think not-Roshar (again, the planet). I'm not surprised Brandon is coy with this, as two of our 10 backstory characters are Heralds. I can see the flashback chapter now, "7349 years ago..."

On 11/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, Pagerunner said:

Hoid has a jar of mastered sand. When Shallan spots him storytelling in Kholinar, his pack has a jar filled with something black, but it's also white on the side facing her. It must be black sand, with the sand closest to her feeding on her Stormlight and regenerating. I suspect it's what he uses for some of his dust-based storytelling.

This makes me think, if a Surgebinder went to Dayside Taldain would they be able to get a constant supply of Investiture to use?

On 11/16/2017 at 0:30 AM, Dearius said:

In the epilogue Hoid mentions that the man, to whom he entrusts the orphan girl, is named Cob.  That is the name of Wax’s carriage driver

Oh wow! Excellent catch! And with Hoid having been Wax's previous carriage driver... conspiracy? Cobspiracy?

On 11/15/2017 at 11:28 PM, RShara said:

Like, apparently Mraize's green chicken is an Aviar.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:00 PM, CosmereAvair said:

Mraize definitely had an Aviar in Urithiru, when Shallan first meets him in the Sadeas camp.

Has it been confirmed that was an Aviar? Last I heard (during the previews) it was speculation.

On 11/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, Pagerunner said:

The Court of the Gods painting in Shadesmar. Apparently, it's not just Returned who can get visions... maybe anyone with Investiture?

Warbreaker "spoiler" here

Spoiler

So I'm rereading Warbreaker now. The interesting thing about the paintings are that they aren't made by the Returned. The Returned only critique them. There is an abstract painting that Lightsong sees some images in, but they weren't of the future.

2 minutes ago, Govir said:

Has it been confirmed that was an Aviar? Last I heard (during the previews) it was speculation.

Warbreaker "spoiler" here

Reveal hidden contents

So I'm rereading Warbreaker now. The interesting thing about the paintings are that they aren't made by the Returned. The Returned only critique them. There is an abstract painting that Lightsong sees some images in, but they weren't of the future.

I don't think its been confirmed yet either... but... come on it has to be.

1 hour ago, CosmereAvair said:

I don't think its been confirmed yet either... but... come on it has to be.

I'm starting to get an aversion to theories that don't have a lot of proof behind them. Afaik, the only "proof" in OB that this was an Aviar was the fact that Mraize had it, and he's known to collect objects of importance / power from around the Cosmere. But as @Pagerunner points out:

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

The Aviar was confirmed at the release party.

I did not know this. Thanks!

On 11/29/2017 at 10:52 AM, Govir said:

Hide contents

So, I'm remembering a WoB from a year or two ago that says Hoid may have created a painting for the Court of Gods. If I remember it was kinda like "That's something he would do, but wasn't something Brandon had specifically done". It's possible he changed his mind. It would be interesting if that was a painting by Hoid...

I also remember there being a mention of one painting in particular that was more important that we thought, so it's also possible that this one is related.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:17 AM, Pagerunner said:

Awakening is quite prevalent in this book. It's the first thing that the fortune-teller asks about when he realizes Kaladin has Investiture. We see Hoid use it on-screen at the end, we see Azure use it with her cloak around her arm while they are fighting in Kholinar, and we also see Azure prepare some defenders out of cloth before they part ways with her (although we don't see them get awakened on-screen).

The actual scene suggest that Rii might have Nalthian breath, he squints at Kaladin (probably to check his biochromatic aura), before dismissing that his investiture comes from Nalthis.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:00 AM, Ryshadium said:

Good catch! I thought this was a Rothfuss reference. 

When the guy named Cob popped in, I actually thought the same thing!  I just finished The Wise Man's Fear, and it was great - thought not as good as Sanderson.  

Edited by Llarimar

• Chaos locked this topic