[OB] Worldhopper spotting

Havoc

Oh, that's a fair cop, because looking over that WoB he actually straight out starts with the "people did not" bit. Arguably there's room for "people migrated from yolen to x, x to roshar" quibbling I suppose, but I don't know that Brandon would be pulling that one either.

40 minutes ago, Ari said:

Oh, that's a fair cop, because looking over that WoB he actually straight out starts with the "people did not" bit. Arguably there's room for "people migrated from yolen to x, x to roshar" quibbling I suppose, but I don't know that Brandon would be pulling that one either.

Well, there's always the question of "how are there even multiple planets with humans?"

I mean, I don't think Brandon uses convergent evolution, so it's either by (Adonalsium's?) design, or humans migrated to other planets through the Cognitive Realm.

1 hour ago, Leyrann said:

Well, there's always the question of "how are there even multiple planets with humans?"

I mean, I don't think Brandon uses convergent evolution, so it's either by (Adonalsium's?) design, or humans migrated to other planets through the Cognitive Realm.

Well, in some cases at least they were created by the shards de novo based off the yolen pattern.

1 minute ago, Leyrann said:

I believe the only case we have on that is Scadrial, though.

Yeah, I was being a little cagey with my words there. We have evidence that some shards have at least somewhat altered the humans on their planets, but Scadrial is the only current explicit example of de novo human creation. I justified my wording by thinking that Ruin and Preservation had to have made more than ONE person (so cases not case :) )

14 hours ago, Dearius said:

In the epilogue Hoid mentions that the man, to whom he entrusts the orphan girl, is named Cob.  That is the name of Wax’s carriage driver

This just convinces me that Rial really could be Wayne. Even though the timeline still completely throws me for a loop.

Just now, Stormlightning said:

But...Cob was there. And Brandon doesn't just double up names like that.

Maybe he accidentally did. Or the timelines changed, but that seems less likely.

I mean, once you create what, a thousand names, something like that, you're probably having a double in there somewhere. Just like if you pick a thousand people in the real world.

30 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Timeline doesn't fit. Alloy of Law and Stormlight Archive play at the same time. Even if Wayne becomes a Worldhopper he's not gonna be in Stormlight Archive in time.

29 minutes ago, Stormlightning said:

But...Cob was there. And Brandon doesn't just double up names like that.

28 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Maybe he accidentally did. Or the timelines changed, but that seems less likely.

I mean, once you create what, a thousand names, something like that, you're probably having a double in there somewhere. Just like if you pick a thousand people in the real world.

Wayne probably won't be in Stormlight (unless he figures out some method of turning time dilation into time travel, which is unlikely); however, Cob could still be a worldhopper. As of 2011, Alloy was supposed to take place a lot earlier than Stormlight (WoB):

Goron

You've mentioned before that all your books so far are in chronological order (Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, Stormlight Archive). Alloy of Law takes place about 200 years after The Hero of Ages. (Right?) Does this put it chronologically before or after Warbreaker?

Brandon Sanderson

The Alloy of Law takes place around 300 years after The Hero of Ages and several hundred years before the events in The Way of Kings. That does put it around the same time as Warbreaker.

Around 2012, we got the WoB you linked about Alloy and Stormlight being the same time; however, he's further clarified this in recent years. In 2015, Brandon said that Alloy takes place after Stormlight 5 (WoB):

Greg Ellner

When does the Wax and Wayne series take place compared to The Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

Just after.

Greg Ellner

Thank you! So after Stormlight 10, then comes The Alloy of Law? I have noticed a change in Hoid in these books since.

Brandon Sanderson

Alloy is somewhere after Stormlight 5.

He confirmed this again last year (WoB):

PhantoMonstrosity

Before Ruin and Preservation showed up on Scadrial, was aluminum already antimagical? Also, is [The Alloy of Law] between Stormlight 5&6?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, [The Alloy of Law] is after Stormlight 5. Specific timing will depend on how long I make the 5/6 gap once I get there.

So it's possible for Cob to travel to Scadrial after the conclusion of Stormlight 5, especially since we've already seen him in proximity to the most prominent worldhopper we know.

Edited by Salkara

• 2 weeks later...

How do we know that Felt is from Mistborn? I strongly suspected him to be a worldhopper (heck, anytime a character thinks someone looks Shin, they're probably looking at either a Herald or a worldhopper), but I didn't have any clue as to his identity.

13 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

How do we know that Felt is from Mistborn? I strongly suspected him to be a worldhopper (heck, anytime a character thinks someone looks Shin, they're probably looking at either a Herald or a worldhopper), but I didn't have any clue as to his identity.

He uses the same name in both places. IIRC he's in multiple books. Also confirmed by WoB here: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/2-jordancon-2016/#e138

Edited by BeskarKomrk
Added WoB source

It's great to have all of this in one thread! However, can I make a request - could you guys also mention the novels where those people and items are from? I don't pay that much attention to other cosmere stories and there are some I haven't read, so it will be nice if you include this info, too. For example 'merciful domi' doesn't ring a bell at all :ph34r: Last time aviar appeared in a discussion, I had to check coppermind to figure out what people were talking about :ph34r: I suspect I'm not the only one feeling lost when it comes to cross cosmere references.

Some people mentioned this during the pre-release chapters, but the bouncer from the second bar in chapter 18: Double Vision might be Demoux (Mistborn - era 1):

A bouncer stood out front, short and squat, with a scar running up his cheek, across his forehead, and onto his scalp.

We know he's on Roshar from the Purelake interlude in Way of Kings, Scadrial has a higher gravity, so he'd be shorter than the average Rosharan (just like Felt, who only comes up to Dalinar's chest), and he has a scar on his head and scalp, which he got during Hero of Ages. That said, I don't think this one has been proven in any way. :)

Edited by Willow

On 11/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, Salkara said:

Wayne probably won't be in Stormlight (unless he figures out some method of turning time dilation into time travel, which is unlikely); however, Cob could still be a worldhopper. As of 2011, Alloy was supposed to take place a lot earlier than Stormlight (WoB):

Around 2012, we got the WoB you linked about Alloy and Stormlight being the same time; however, he's further clarified this in recent years. In 2015, Brandon said that Alloy takes place after Stormlight 5 (WoB):

He confirmed this again last year (WoB):

So it's possible for Cob to travel to Scadrial after the conclusion of Stormlight 5, especially since we've already seen him in proximity to the most prominent worldhopper we know.

It could also be that Hoid was the coachman, and was borrowing the name of someone he'd recently encountered.

Mraize definitely had an Aviar in Urithiru, when Shallan first meets him in the Sadeas camp.

Also can't remember who but somebody swore to Purity, possibly could be a new shard.

I think were missing the big picture on world hopping, which is the oathgates!  Things that stood out for me was that the spren(?), and that they were guarding the oathgates saying no one could use them because of the fact that Honour closed them in his last days. who knows if this was how humans travled before the fall of Adolisium.

Edited by CosmereAvair

5 minutes ago, CosmereAvair said:

Also can't remember who but somebody swore to Purity, possibly could be a new shard.

I believe someone else on the forums figured this out, but that was probably Nazh, who is from Threnody. Their planetary system has a giant outer planet called Purity

I don't think I can add anyone that people here haven't spotted. As to who the letters were from, I think they are probably Endowment, Autonomy, and Harmony.

Sidenote: Yes the above line was an excuse to write this

On 11/15/2017 at 3:17 PM, Pagerunner said:

A new Nalthian Shardblade, which Azure has. It apparently has a mind, although it doesn't require constant Investiture like Nightblood and doesn't vaporize whoever it touches. (I think this is also designed to lay the framework for Odium's Shardblade, which we see Moash use at the end of the book.)

I'm not sure I agree with this, I thought that the sword Moash was given was Jezrien's Honorblade? Moash even recognizes it. I don't even think Odium would have to change anything about it (though that would be smart of him if he can make it stronger I guess, or use it to hurt what is left of Honor's power), since it's been stated a few times that ANYONE can use an Honorblade.

1 minute ago, Matt Snow said:

I'm not sure I agree with this, I thought that the sword Moash was given was Jezrien's Honorblade? Moash even recognizes it. I don't even think Odium would have to change anything about it (though that would be smart of him if he can make it stronger I guess, or use it to hurt what is left of Honor's power), since it's been stated a few times that ANYONE can use an Honorblade.

I'd have to agree with you @Matt Snow, Moash is definitely given Jezrian's Honorblade. 

47 minutes ago, Matt Snow said:

Not that Blade, the knife he used to kill Jezrien. I think that's a small Shardblade made of Odium's Investiture.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, Pagerunner said:

Some interesting worldhopping connections that aren't just limited to characters:

• Hoid has a jar of mastered sand. When Shallan spots him storytelling in Kholinar, his pack has a jar filled with something black, but it's also white on the side facing her. It must be black sand, with the sand closest to her feeding on her Stormlight and regenerating. I suspect it's what he uses for some of his dust-based storytelling.

(Also @Argent)

That sand (most likely) isn't what you think it is.

Relevant WoB: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=590#40

Relevant prior post regarding Hoid telling stories with black/white color-changing sand in Warbreaker:

Edited by KidWayne

The heralds all apparently know about Adonalsium after Ash cursed by his name, which implies either some world-hopping or that Tanavast explained everything about shards and his origin. Which somehow doesn't seem likely to me considering they're being consigned to be tortured forever to protect what turns out to be just one of many, many other livable, and populated, worlds