[OB] Hoid does it again

Steeldancer

Someone please fill me in on this one. I desperately want to understand. 

I've read all of Sanderson's books to date, and I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone likes Hoid so much. 

Is it just the intrigue of trying to piece together the puzzle of what his character is doing? 

Because frankly I find his intrusion into plot lines annoying. 

So guys, fill me in. What is the deal here? What am I missing? I really want to be a part of the club and enjoy the elements that he brings to the story. 

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Hoid does it again
On 11/15/2017 at 0:43 AM, Xenolith said:

What I found interesting is that he got rid of his Breaths. That seems to imply he wants to Nahel bond it, which would prevent him from easily leaving Roshar. So he's planning on staying there for a while.

While I agree that he'll be staying on Roshar a while, what makes you think he got rid of his Breaths? He Awakened the doll to save the little girl, but that didn't take much - Hoid is at (at least) the Second Heightening; the Breath to Awaken that doll wouldn't make much of a dent.

On 11/15/2017 at 0:23 AM, Bridge Boy said:

I've read all of Sanderson's books to date, and I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone likes Hoid so much. 

Is it just the intrigue of trying to piece together the puzzle of what his character is doing? 

So guys, fill me in. What is the deal here? What am I missing? I really want to be a part of the club and enjoy the elements that he brings to the story. 

Hoid is a very interesting character. He is a world hopper with unknown origins who appears in nearly every cosmere book and novella. One part that's fun is just trying to find him. He is very comedic, but does it in a way that sets characters on the path to success. He once jumped into the mouth of a chasmfiend just to find out what being digested was like. He's also confirmed to be one of the oldest characters, and was probably at the shattering of Adonalsium, but didn't take a shard (Which would have made him practically a god)

The brief interaction between him and Sazed in the epigraphs has me longing for the inevitable future scene where they directly talk with each other.  Sazed is among the more powerful beings but is hamstrung by his shards and lack of information.  I'm curious if more information from Hoid would make him more likely to be able to overcome the nature of his shards and be more proactive.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:43 PM, Xenolith said:

What I found interesting is that he got rid of his Breaths. That seems to imply he wants to Nahel bond it, which would prevent him from easily leaving Roshar. So he's planning on staying there for a while.

I must have missed something here. I know that cognitive shadows, even ones attached to the physical realm, find world hopping difficult or impossible, but I hadn't heard the same of a nahel bond.

On 15/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, lookingglass said:

Was that Elohkar's spren that he found and bonded?

That was my impression. Nothing else springs to mind that makes sense. To bond a higher spren the spren has to enter the Physical Realm first. So Elhokhar just about to say the words would only have meaning if the spren in question had already entered the Physical Realm. When the bond failed due to Elhokar's death then the Cryptic would have been stuck in the Physical Realm, most likely.

Hoid and Shallan both liked Elhokar and I think it makes sense that he could have bonded a Cryptic. Is that more "birds of a feather flock together" or was there anything supernatural? I'd guess the former but who knows.

I got the impression that he wasn't trying to bond the cryptic but rather keep it safe from those looking for it.  We know that there were three Bondsmith Spren and that Dalinar has Bonded to one of the three spren.  I suspect that the Cryptic is the second of the three.  There are three great spren cities or nexuses in Shadesmar.  The cryptic and honourspren have two of them and I can't remember if the spren of the third was named. :(  The Stormfather "birthed" many honourspren so he could be and likely is a honourspren so, to me, it makes sense that each of the cities is founded by one of the three Bondsmith Spren.

Given that, I really don't see Hoid bonding with the Cryptic but rather protecting it so Odium doesn't get his hands on such a powerful spren to corrupt.  If it was just a normal spren, why would Hoid be there given his admission that Odium would wipe out the entire city just for the chance of killing him.  No, there is something special about that spren.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, Alvron said:

Given that, I really don't see Hoid bonding with the Cryptic but rather protecting it so Odium doesn't get his hands on such a powerful spren to corrupt.  If it was just a normal spren, why would Hoid be there given his admission that Odium would wipe out the entire city just for the chance of killing him.  No, there is something special about that spren.

Hoid does crazy dangerous things all the time.  It's not every day that you get a chance to pick up a spren of one of the higher types, which has already transitioned into the physical realm, then been weakened by death of its Radient, so you can swan in and grab it without having to actually be on the regular path toward establishing a bond yourself.  I think he was just using a shortcut hack to collect a new magic (as per usual).

On 15.11.2017 at 8:23 AM, Bridge Boy said:

As a big Hoid/Wit fan I liked him in SA because even though he puts this careless face, he's always been there when someone needed him. And that was happening before OB. In WoK he is aware of Renarin's situation and instead of moking him for it, he teases him in a positive way ( that's how I read it at least). He was there for Shallan when she needed to hear some things, both in WoR and OB. I feel like he generally gives people a push or a lesson or mocks the ones that need to be mocked. 

I was only aware of him after I read a couple of Sanderson books and I started looking more into Cosmere. So in the beginning I started liking him because  he always had good stories and he made me laugh. It's not just the mistery surrounding him, that's a bonus. But I never read him as an annoying character. Probably only in Secret History a bit.

These are not the strongest argumets, but for me it's his vibe, not the hype.

Edited by mariapapadia