General Open Role-Play

GeneralHZRD

"Yeah, I don't know what information they want out of him either. Also, whats your deal with eighth and why do you follow him eve- Hey are you alright?" Louik notices the newcomer leaning heavily on a small table in the corner, looking pale and weak, "You look pale, like you ate something bad..." His voice trails off as he looks down at his plate of cookies and counts them. His eyes widen and he double checks his math. Wait a minute, unless he could burn iron, that cookie couldn't have hurt him. Relieved he looks up "Well my cookies aren't causing it, unless you happen to be able to burn iron. You cant burn iron, right?"

"That would only work if he could tap gold, which to my knowledge he cannot." Louik starts pacing around the room running his hand through his hair, "There is a chance that this won't kill him and just change him irreversibly, most likely permanently affecting his sDNA with what ever he was spiked with."

I could make it so his character would be unable to burn iron anymore, the sDNA splicing having changed him so that he could no longer burn iron, I don't want to do that and screw his character over though.

Oh. That was smart. Since my character is an iron Savant, I think the consequences of not being able to burn iron could be very interesting to play with. We'll go with that, but where it's not totally gone, seeming the rather to be blocked by something, though he could eventually be "reSnapped," though it would require a lot of investiture rather than just trauma.

Sef begins to swell, his muscles growing huge. His skin looks on the verge of tearing, but he can feel - somehow - that it's tougher than iron. Figuratively.

"What's happening?" he asks frantically of no one in particular. He instinctively Burns iron, except...

There's nothing. His iron is gone. How? He downs another vial of it, but somehow it's empty, unless...

Seftibournes is not a Lurcher.

Oh God Beyond...

The only problem with that is he's already burned the spike. It would (or will) take aluminum Feruchemy to fix it, as it has more to do with identity than physical health.

EDIT: Okay, so I've figured out exactly what happens to him, magically speaking.

First, we know that, though there is no location in the Spiritual Realm, a human's Spiritweb lines up symbolically with their physical and cognitive aspects, which is how Hemalurgy works.

Second, because the first is true there must be a symbolic location of iron Allomancy on the human body.

Third, because the spike was Burned, rather than driven in, the splicing would take place at the location of whatever triggered it, meaning the same place where iron Allomancy takes place spiritually.

Hence, the splicing would sort of "override" the iron Allomancy in the same way that patch covers a tear but has it's own imperfect edges. This means that Sef's Allomancy is buried beneath his strength.

I've also come up with potential remedies for it. For one, due to the Spiritweb's relation the physical body, a well placed Shardblade (which would require a very skilled Hemalurgist who knows the problem) could potentially break through the new layer, digging out his Allomancy, though it would leave a grey area of dead flesh wherever it was placed, and healing that would cover his Allomancy again. For another, a Bond with a Cryptic could cause similar effects, through the Lightweaver's version of Oaths. Addititionally, the Surge of Division could potentially fix it, though it would require the same precision as the Shardblade method, and I suspect that Dustbringers would be unable to perform this feat, due to their powers' focus on the Physical Realm.

Edited by Sazedezas
new stuff

Two things, the first is that using gold healing restores that body and spirit to its Ideal version, its identity. If the spike had been spliced in, it's technically part of the spirit now, which means that using gold healing will heal the body to this new standard. Without the ability to burn Iron. Tapping gold on its own wouldn't fix it.

The second is that I think that using a shardblade would cut out the entire "spiritual gene" which could kill him, people don't survive easily without parts of their spirit web. You would need to have some thing else to replace it.

One method that I thought of is similar to a transplant where one could spike out the entire area, then place another hemalurgic spike charged with iron allomancy into the right area. This would give him the ability back, but he would be reliant on the spike to keep him having the ability. <puts on tinfoil hat> Then if you were able to tap connection and identity at the same time as tapping gold, you could trick your body into thinking that it is a iron burner, and connect the two parts of the spirit, then while tapping gold, one could heal their spirit to it's new Identity, of being a lurcher. <takes off tinfoil hat>

That last part is highly speculative and most likely wrong. But it would be cool.

Typically, splicing doesn’t remove; it adds. So the original Sdna should be there, with a foreign addition. The idea is that even with the splice the addition is still recognized as foreign. If gold is tapped quickly enough it should reject the splice. If he waits it won’t work. 

Burning massive amounts of Aluminum could work too, but I don’t know if anyone in world knows that it purifies.

15 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Two things, the first is that using gold healing restores that body and spirit to its Ideal version, its identity. If the spike had been spliced in, it's technically part of the spirit now, which means that using gold healing will heal the body to this new standard. Without the ability to burn Iron. Tapping gold on its own wouldn't fix it.

The second is that I think that using a shardblade would cut out the entire "spiritual gene" which could kill him, people don't survive easily without parts of their spirit web. You would need to have some thing else to replace it.

One method that I thought of is similar to a transplant where one could spike out the entire area, then place another hemalurgic spike charged with iron allomancy into the right area. This would give him the ability back, but he would be reliant on the spike to keep him having the ability. <puts on tinfoil hat> Then if you were able to tap connection and identity at the same time as tapping gold, you could trick your body into thinking that it is a iron burner, and connect the two parts of the spirit, then while tapping gold, one could heal their spirit to it's new Identity, of being a lurcher. <takes off tinfoil hat>

That last part is highly speculative and most likely wrong. But it would be cool.

As I said, they are "potential" cures, and they are all very dangerous. If a Radiant summoned a Shardscalpel, then they could use regular surgical equipment to get to the point that they have to cut with the Shard, but that might not work, and is, as you said, very dangerous.

Spiking it away with Hemalurgy could work though. Although it would probably kill me.

I feel like the best way is probably going to be "reSnapping" him, which could work for the following reasons:

First, Allomancers are born with Allomancy in their sDNA, though it is dormant until they "Snap."

Second, Sef's Allomancy has basically been bypassed by the sDNA, effectively making it dromant.

Unlike the initial Snapping, reSnapping him will take more than just trauma, it will take a crap-ton of investiture, like healing a Shardblade.

That doesn’t really make sense to me. When you splice a new branch on to a tree, the tree just grows two kinds of fruit.  Splicing is additive. It adds something. Burning a spike splices it on to the Sdna. It doesn’t remove anything. So he should just be a twinborn now. (Feruchemical pewter/Allomantic iron.)

Now, if Feruchemy interferes with Allomancy, I’d agree there’s a chance. But it doesn't; it’s the other way around. (So a Feruchemist who had allomantic sDNA spliced onto his Spiritweb might become only a ferring. But a Mistborn wouldn’t have the same problem.)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/splice

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

3 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I need a hemalurgy chart. I always confuse which spike steals what. Maybe the Leatherbound HoA will have one...

Eitherway, it still shouldn’t interfere with your Allomancy. Maybe mental capacity, or make you more violent. 

Valid point, for the most part. However, it definitely could, and we're going off that chance for plot purposes.

Edited by Sazedezas
Typo

15 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

That doesn’t really make sense to me. When you splice a new branch on to a tree, the tree just grows two kinds of fruit.  Splicing is additive. It adds something. Burning a spike splices it on to the Sdna. It doesn’t remove anything. So he should just be a twinborn now. (Feruchemical pewter/Allomantic iron.)

Now, if Feruchemy interferes with Allomancy, I’d agree there’s a chance. But it doesn't; it’s the other way around. (So a Feruchemist who had allomantic sDNA spliced onto his Spiritweb might become only a ferring. But a Mistborn wouldn’t have the same problem.)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/splice

Okay I see the difference, I was thinking that we were treating this similar to splicing DNA as apposed to tree splicing/splicing branches, which are unsurprisingly, two completely different things.

Also I also hope that they create a hemalurgy chart soon. I want to know what more of the metals steel and what the bind points are. They are planning on releasing one next year.

They are actually pretty similar in many ways. When you splice DNA you are still attaching two things together. If it’s the right things it can have certain effects. Many genetic issues are caused by splicing mishaps resulting in deletions. Splicing is additive.

My issue is that the sDNA involved here (human strength) shouldn’t interfere with the expression of the Allomancy sgene. When we’ve seen it effect the spirit web before it impacted mental and emotional function. On the other hand, if a Feruchemist had Allomantic sDNA spliced onto his spirit web he would probably have issues as Allomancy genes interfere with Feruchemical ones, but not vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 7:10 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

They are actually pretty similar in many ways. When you splice DNA you are still attaching two things together. If it’s the right things it can have certain effects. Many genetic issues are caused by splicing mishaps resulting in deletions. Splicing is additive.

My issue is that the sDNA involved here (human strength) shouldn’t interfere with the expression of the Allomancy sgene. When we’ve seen it effect the spirit web before it impacted mental and emotional function. On the other hand, if a Feruchemist had Allomantic sDNA spliced onto his spirit web he would probably have issues as Allomancy genes interfere with Feruchemical ones, but not vice versa.

Except that Koloss can't use Allomancy. And they didn't even burn spikes, just got four.