[OB] New oaths/ideals (I asked for them) + pics

lonelymagician

Both "My Glory and My Shame" and "You cannot have my pain" are standard personalizations for Oathbringer, and Brandon has been using them for people who don't ask for a specific personalization aside from their name or for those who ask for a favorite quote from Brandon, since both are Oathbringer quotes. They are not Oaths though. I'm afraid Brandon might not have heard your request, most likely. Sometimes if the question isn't actually on the sticky note, he'll just sign with a default personalization like this. 

As stated above "My Glory and My Shame" is the subtitle for the in-world book of Oathbringer, while "You cannot have my pain" is an important line in the climax, but not an Oath.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:13 AM, Beatsmorn said:

1st Oath: "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." 

2nd Oath: " I will unite instead of divide [...]"

3rd Oath: "I will take responsibility for what I've done" 

4th Oath: "If I am to fall, I will rise each time as a better man" 

5th Oath: "I am Unity" 

How I understood it. 

Agreed for two reasons:

1) Creating a perpendicularity is something that is REALLY powerful. For it to be a non-radiant ability like Renarin’s future-seeing, or a third ideal ability like a shardblade, means that the 5th ideal would be something so powerful it would kind of break the magic system.

2) The fifth ideal is the ideal a Radiant says when they become their attribute. “I am Unity” makes sense for a Bondsmith. The Windrunners would probably say “I am Honor”, the Skybreakers would say “I am Law” ect.

2 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

Agreed for two reasons:

1) Creating a perpendicularity is something that is REALLY powerful. For it to be a non-radiant ability like Renarin’s future-seeing, or a third ideal ability like a shardblade, means that the 5th ideal would be something so powerful it would kind of break the magic system.

2) The fifth ideal is the ideal a Radiant says when they become their attribute. “I am Unity” makes sense for a Bondsmith. The Windrunners would probably say “I am Honor”, the Skybreakers would say “I am Law” ect.

You're assuming that that's an ability of being a Bondsmith. The Stormfather's reaction says that this is not normal. 

I don't think that this is a Bondsmith ability, but a Dalinar connected through circumstance to the required surges, and the Cognitive Shadow of the vessel of Honor. 

This is something new. 

4 hours ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

You're assuming that that's an ability of being a Bondsmith. The Stormfather's reaction says that this is not normal. 

I don't think that this is a Bondsmith ability, but a Dalinar connected through circumstance to the required surges, and the Cognitive Shadow of the vessel of Honor. 

This is something new.

Yes I agree. I think that unlike previous Bondsmiths, Dalinar is bonded to a very large splinter of Honor (the Stormfather indicates he changes after Honor's death as a result of being given additional investiture etc) so he is inherently more powerful than previous Bondmiths - or at least closer to ascension than they were. We know he ascended (even if it was only temporary) because Odium said so to Taravangian. I think the fact that he is a bondsmith plus his additonal investiture (nb he has been invested by Honor, Cultivation and Odium at this point) means he ascends and can unite the 3 realms for a short time. 

There are a lot of new things happening. The everstorm is new, Jezrien has been killed "properly" (not sent to Braize by the look of it) is new, there's a new herald killing blade flying about, there's a heavily invested blade around (Nightblood) and the champion thing has never happened before. As Jasnah says, we cannot rely entirely on old knowledge now.

• Chaos locked this topic