[OB] Dalinar and the Nightwatcher

Pattern

So now we know why Dalinar regained his memories despite the boon and curse of the Nightwatcher lasting lifelong.

Dalinar's boon and curse came from Cultivation herself and not the Nightwatcher, with the intention to let them fade after time, so Dalinar could deal with his burdens in doses he could handle. Here, Cultivation actively crosses Odium's plan to currupt Dalinar with the Thrill to make him his Champion in the end.

Odium seems to be very wary of Cultivation. When Lift appears in the vision where Odium talks to Dalinar, Odium nearly seems frightened and disappeares immediately. Lift has been in the Valley, too. I assume that Lift also has been altered by Cultivation herself and not the Nightwatcher. Dalinar reeks to her like Cultivation, I guess her own smell is much stronger. The little unassuming and awesome girl might become Cultivation's joker and eyes and ears. I am looking forward for more!

18 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Also makes one wonder, was it her or the Nightwatcher who granted Taravangian what he got?

Odium seems to have no problem with him, so I guess Taravangian got his boon/curse only from the Nightwatcher. But this is only guessing...

6 hours ago, Pattern said:

Odium seems to have no problem with him, so I guess Taravangian got his boon/curse only from the Nightwatcher. But this is only guessing...

Unless Cultivation gave him to the capacity to save the world by becoming a weak link for Odium.

1 hour ago, Salkara said:

Unless Cultivation gave him to the capacity to save the world by becoming a weak link for Odium.

This is a possibility. I suspect Taravangian dying of old age soon anyway, the way he complains about his age at the end of OB.

It seems very likely that Lift also received her boon from Cultivation.  Lift recognizes a similar effect in Dalinar, and her request also was so "strange" that the Nightwatcher couldn't manage it and Cultivation chose to step in.

Cultivation choosing to hide herself in the same location as the Nightwatcher seems to be working quite well, even Odium doesn't seem to know where to find her.  Any sightings of Cultivation can just be dismissed as actually being the Nightwatcher and the speaker just being confused.  A confusion that we the book readers had in trying to decipher if Lift went to the Nightwatcher, Cultivation, or if they're the same being.

20 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Cultivation choosing to hide herself in the same location as the Nightwatcher seems to be working quite well, even Odium doesn't seem to know where to find her.  Any sightings of Cultivation can just be dismissed as actually being the Nightwatcher and the speaker just being confused.  A confusion that we the book readers had in trying to decipher if Lift went to the Nightwatcher, Cultivation, or if they're the same being.

I don't think Cultivation was exactly hiding herself there, at least not fully. How can a shard hide all of herself in the physical realm?

On another note is the nightwatcher what the bondsmiths bond to because she seems a bit too playful.

Edited by lookingglass

3 minutes ago, lookingglass said:

doesn't seems

I'm not sure wheter you mean she does or does not seem too playful, but I don't see how that would matter for wheter or not she could be a Bondsmith spren. The Stormfather is quite stubborn, yet he also got bonded and even seems to have softened a little since.

6 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I'm not sure wheter you mean she does or does not seem too playful, but I don't see how that would matter for wheter or not she could be a Bondsmith spren. The Stormfather is quite stubborn, yet he also got bonded and even seems to have softened a little since.

I edited it. I guess this is what happens when you don't sleep after 23 hours of reading

On 11/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

It seems very likely that Lift also received her boon from Cultivation.  Lift recognizes a similar effect in Dalinar, and her request also was so "strange" that the Nightwatcher couldn't manage it and Cultivation chose to step in.

This is something I've been wondering too. Does this mean Lift is old? 

Cultivation said it had been centuries since she spoke with a human. And the Stormfather's reaction at their first meeting seems to support it. 

11 minutes ago, Gloom Spren said:

This is something I've been wondering too. Does this mean Lift is old? 

Cultivation said it had been centuries since she spoke with a human. And the Stormfather's reaction at their first meeting seems to support it. 

The more likely explanation is that Dalinar visited before Lift did. The next more likely explanation is that Lift wasn't visited by Cultivation but only the Nightwatcher.

Lift being centuries old is incredibly unlikely.

1 minute ago, Ansalem said:

The more likely explanation is that Dalinar visited before Lift did. The next more likely explanation is that Lift wasn't visited by Cultivation but only the Nightwatcher.

Lift being centuries old is incredibly unlikely.

You're right...I forgot she basically says how old she is in one of the WoK interludes. 

• Chaos locked this topic