[OB] The conflict on Roshar

Leyrann

I don’t think the human vs listener conflict could be solved by war, even by one side exterminating the other completely. Rather, I think that the only way the conflict can be solved is by negotiation and aiming for peaceful coexistence. Odium does not actually care who wins – we already know he plays both sides of the conflict – but just wants there to be hatred. If the humans and listeners fully realize what is happening, and manage to resolve their problems, there cannot actually be another Desolation; even though there are Voidbringer spren, the majority of the listeners still have free will, and can therefore choose not to follow them, and from how I read certain parts in the book listeners can actually refuse to bind with Voidbringer spren.

Information, however, will be key in this; if people are not aware of Voidbringer spren and Odium playing both sides of the conflict, they can easily get lured into doing what Odium wants of them. Capturing the other Unmade is probably a big part of this as well, as ‘natural’ things like the Thrill are a major part in achieving the war and hatred that Odium wants.

The only thing that then remains, is to actually take care of Odium. I have no idea how that’s supposed to happen, but I do think that it is valid to pose that Odium is stuck on (Greater) Roshar even if there is peace between humans and listeners. I think that ‘taking care of Odium’ would be something along the lines of Cultivation helping someone (I’d put my money on Dalinar) collecting the pieces of Honor and then ascending, and with that power defeating Odium. Alternatively, hey, we got a letter from Sazed this book, maybe he’ll play a part as well. We know already that Odium is afraid of him.

• Chaos locked this topic