Leyrann

[OB] Mayalaran

440 posts in this topic

It strikes me reading several of the comments here that dalinar's implanted compulsion to "unite them", combined with what he now knows and his ability to touch all three realms, might well make him realise that part of that uniting is healing the distrust of the spren.  If he could heal those who went catatonic with the recreance, it might well go a long way to restoring inter-realm trust, etc.

 

Thoughts?

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, quadbox said:

It strikes me reading several of the comments here that dalinar's implanted compulsion to "unite them", combined with what he now knows and his ability to touch all three realms, might well make him realise that part of that uniting is healing the distrust of the spren.  If he could heal those who went catatonic with the recreance, it might well go a long way to restoring inter-realm trust, etc.

 

Thoughts?

I always love more ideas on what the unite them means, as I have been certain for a while that no-one in Roshar had it right yet. At the moment I think it means unite the pieces of Honor. Basically reassemble Honor.

But your idea has merit, I'd also like if that were the case.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm NOT entirely sure how I feel about the idea of Adolin being a Knight Radiant...

But did anyone else notice how Adolin paused in the middle of his thunderclast battle to save a little boy?

Quote

He slammed his shoulder against the wall, breaking through the hole.

As he did, he heard a whimper from behind.

Adolin gritted his teeth. I could use one of those storming Radiants about now.

He ducked back into the building and flipped over a table, finding a young boy huddled underneath. That was the only person Adolin saw in the building. He hauled the boy out right as the thunderclast smashed a fist down through the roof. Dust billowing after him, Adolin shoved the child into the arms of a soldier, then pointed both toward the street to the south.

If Adolin his headed towards Knighthood, I'm betting it's because amidst all of the god-like Radiant-tier battles we'll see him take time for the little people. Adolin's whole finale was basically, "I can't solve the big problems like them, but I can help a few."

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MoS03 said:

Hmmm. So, Nin isn't sure if he's the only Herald to also bond a Spren. What if Maya's Radiant is a Herald?

It's possible, but if Maya's Radiant was a Herald, why would they abandon her during the Recreance? I'm presuming they already knew about the whole 'humans are the voidbringers' thing. Also this might just be me, but I can't see a Herald, who broke a contract with the God of Oaths, just happily joining the Knights Radiant and bonding with a small piece of God, while said God is still around and watching over them. I don't think we know when Nale bonded his spren, but I'm just going to assume it was some time after Honor died.

I also like the theory that the cultivationspren, as Wyndle said in Edgedancer, were just 'normal' spren, not spren with grand cities and princess(es) like the Honorspren and Cryptics. Adolin's spren doesn't need to be special all-around in order for her to be special to him. And this action wouldn't reflect well on the (still living) herald, who just left their friend lying around in endless torment, having them swing her corpse around by the feet, as Syl says. Though i guess we've seen with Taln that they're experienced with that.

 

4 hours ago, lookingglass said:

I think they replaced his eyes because they were burned out to make the statue of him nicer.

I think Szeth never stabbed Gavilar with his shardblade, he made the balcony collapse, after which Gavilar was pierced through his stomach by a piece of wood. His eyes wouldn't have burned out that way.

I wonder if replacing the eyes is ceremonial, like some old religions put coins on the eyes of the deceased to pay the entrance into the underworld, or if (fabrial) Soulcasters have troubles with transforming eyes? We've seen time and time again that they're an important point of investiture. Jasnah was able to soulcast entire men without problems though..

Edited by Willow
6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I'm NOT entirely sure how I feel about the idea of Adolin being a Knight Radiant...

But did anyone else notice how Adolin paused in the middle of his thunderclast battle to save a little boy?

If Adolin his headed towards Knighthood, I'm betting it's because amidst all of the god-like Radiant-tier battles we'll see him take time for the little people. Adolin's whole finale was basically, "I can't solve the big problems like them, but I can help a few."

Sounds Edgedancer to me.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Sounds Edgedancer to me.

Exactly. :)

I've never seen him as particularly Edgedancer-y, but it was definitely there in the finale.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be on board the 'Adolin for Dustbringer' train but I'm liking the idea of Edgedancer better. (Ignoring narrative issues and stuff like 'oh wouldn't it be great if Adolin remained the Badchull Normal in the cast.) He's a trained duelist, first and foremost. Remember how Nale describes the Edgedancers? As being able "to ride the thinnest rope at speed, dance across rooftops, and move through a battlefield like a ribbon on the wind."

Adolin moving through a battlefield like a ribbon on the wind with Mayalaran in hand, an unstoppable force of destruction. Yes please.

(That being said, I like TheGoodyShop's idea of a reversal where Maya is broken and bonding to Adolin fills in her cracks instead.)

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

I used to be on board the 'Adolin for Dustbringer' train but I'm liking the idea of Edgedancer better. (Ignoring narrative issues and stuff like 'oh wouldn't it be great if Adolin remained the Badchull Normal in the cast.) He's a trained duelist, first and foremost. Remember how Nale describes the Edgedancers? As being able "to ride the thinnest rope at speed, dance across rooftops, and move through a battlefield like a ribbon on the wind."

Adolin moving through a battlefield like a ribbon on the wind with Mayalaran in hand, an unstoppable force of destruction. Yes please.

(That being said, I like TheGoodyShop's idea of a reversal where Maya is broken and bonding to Adolin fills in her cracks instead.)

She gets Adolin powers, like having to eat, and not being dead yet.

My feeling on the matter is that she'll get one eye back, but it might not be a complete nahel bond if there are parts lf her missing.

So Adolin might only get one surge, or reduced powers or something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PatronOfRot said:

She gets Adolin powers, like having to eat, and not being dead yet.

My feeling on the matter is that she'll get one eye back, but it might not be a complete nahel bond if there are parts lf her missing.

So Adolin might only get one surge, or reduced powers or something.

And his primary superpower looking good(even when he's soiled his shardplate). 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aminar said:

And his primary superpower looking good(even when he's soiled his shardplate). 

So, best duelist in the world able summon Shardblade with no 10 heartbeats, use Stormlight for speed, strength and healing AND look good while doing it? We can have that :).

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 6:34 PM, MoS03 said:

I guess my block is the idea that Maya's original wielder needs to be involved in any attempt at bringing her back. Perhaps, that's not the case? Adolin DID listen to TWoK with his father before, he may have said Oath One after hearing it then, but he doesn't seem that broken. Perhaps that will come when he discovers the truth about how his mother died...

We have a bondsmith who can manipulate Connection and other stuff and the Everstorm that provides Connection to people who've lost it among other uses.

I wonder if Dalinar might combine those two and a bit of his rulebreaking badassitude to hack the Everstorm to provide a suitable Connectioon between dead shardblades and their bonded wielders. Why help restore Maya directly when he can set up a mechanism to restore, over time, all the deadeyes.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dahak said:

We have a bondsmith who can manipulate Connection and other stuff and the Everstorm that provides Connection to people who've lost it among other uses.

I wonder if Dalinar might combine those two and a bit of his rulebreaking badassitude to hack the Everstorm to provide a suitable Connectioon between dead shardblades and their bonded wielders. Why help restore Maya directly when he can set up a mechanism to restore, over time, all the deadeyes.

Mind. Blown. It would greatly depend on the person, and their particular blade, however.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dahak said:

We have a bondsmith who can manipulate Connection and other stuff and the Everstorm that provides Connection to people who've lost it among other uses.

I wonder if Dalinar might combine those two and a bit of his rulebreaking badassitude to hack the Everstorm to provide a suitable Connectioon between dead shardblades and their bonded wielders. Why help restore Maya directly when he can set up a mechanism to restore, over time, all the deadeyes.

That would be amazing. BUT. If its current owners were not a good fit of the order the spren would die again almost immediately. Unless the owners were willing to behave exactly as the spren needed them to, to stay alive. Which sounds tough, even sworn radiants sometimes trip, imagine a person that has no fit whatsover with the spren in question. Then again, the end of the world makes people very open minded. Maybe more than expected might be willing to become a proper fit for the required order. That would defintely be doing things backwards. Get spren and Blade with Oaths included, then live the Oaths.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

That would be amazing. BUT. If its current owners were not a good fit of the order the spren would die again almost immediately.

Wouldn't ressurect until the wielder achieved the appropriate Ideals I think, since IIRC we have a WoB that that's necessary. But it would clear the apparent other requirement of requiring Connection. At least it would every nine days or so.

Might require Adolin and anyone else trying to restore a blade to walk out into the Everstorm and shout the first three ideals at the storm.

Then of course once the Spren is sentient again it can choose to disconnect (Like both Syl and Pattern have offered to do) if it doesn't like its wielders ability to comply with the Oaths. Syl remember got in trouble because she overstretched her bond to Kaladin to save him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Everstorm would necessarily help and I think it would be dangerous to try. The Everstorm is specifically for the parsh / singers after all.

While I agree that Dalinar's Bondsmith abilities could likely help, I suspect it would be more to speed up the process (more of a catalyst than a instant fix). I don't think it would be reasonable to force Connection between any random eyeless and their wielder and expect to get good results. I think it would be much better to enhance what's already there.

Hmm, here's an idea. When Dalinar did his whole "I am Unity" thing at the end, I think that helped enhance the bond between Adolin and Maya. I think it's pretty clear that there was already something between them (after all, Maya helped Adolin at one point in Shadesmar). Here's some subtle evidence - one of the first things shown after the "I am Unity" bit is Taln recovering (at least until the battle was over, his recovery fading with the Perpendicularity). So basically, it's was really good that Adolin was able to make some progress during this time because he won't forget Maya's name etc. So that Connection can now be further built upon. It'll be interesting to see whether he can succeed in summoning her in under 10 heartbeats later on or not.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

That would be amazing. BUT. If its current owners were not a good fit of the order the spren would die again almost immediately. Unless the owners were willing to behave exactly as the spren needed them to, to stay alive. Which sounds tough, even sworn radiants sometimes trip, imagine a person that has no fit whatsover with the spren in question. Then again, the end of the world makes people very open minded. Maybe more than expected might be willing to become a proper fit for the required order. That would defintely be doing things backwards. Get spren and Blade with Oaths included, then live the Oaths.

Isn't that kind of what was offered to Szeth and the other Skybreaker initiates? It was a total coincidence that Szeth was given Nightblood first. I figured that when he took a bond he would be able to wield two blades 'Amaram style' (even though we never saw it).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Sounds Edgedancer to me.

Yes, and that scene where Maya attacks the Fused in Shadesmar, there is the descriptions of vines in her appearance, a clear indicator of cultivationspren, the Edgedancer spren.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Yes, and that scene where Maya attacks the Fused in Shadesmar, there is the descriptions of vines in her appearance, a clear indicator of cultivationspren, the Edgedancer spren.

There's a point in chapter 102 where describing Cultivation spren, Kaladin thinks they look like Maya.

Quote

The city wasn’t as densely populated as most human ones, but the variety of spren was stunning. Reachers like Ico and his sailors were common, but there were also spren that looked much like Adolin’s sword—at least before she’d been killed. They were made entirely of vines, though they had crystal hands and wore human clothing. Equally common were spren with inky black skin that shone with a variety of colors when light hit them right. Their clothing seemed part of them, like that of the Cryptics and honorspren.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lookingglass said:

I think they replaced his eyes because they were burned out to make the statue of him nicer.

Gavilar didn't die by a Blade, he was impaled on a length of wood from the fall.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KidWayne said:

Isn't that kind of what was offered to Szeth and the other Skybreaker initiates? It was a total coincidence that Szeth was given Nightblood first. I figured that when he took a bond he would be able to wield two blades 'Amaram style' (even though we never saw it).

The skybreakers were unexpected. They seemed to be so mechanical on their progressing, and acting. However, it is not too surprising that the lawmen of the KR are

1. not like the other KR

2. much more mechanical and less spontaneous: follow the procedure to swear oaths instead of feel the feel the oaths as you are ready

Of course, reading them from Szeth might have skewed our perception, as he was already living the first 2 Skybreaker Oaths  (if not 3) for nearly all his life.

Nightblood is not normal ^^.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Adolin will become a Stoneward. His relationship with Shallan is too much of a reflection of Taln and Ash.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one bothered by this:

Mayalaran

May Aladar

This sounds too similar.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Am I the only one bothered by this:

Mayalaran

May Aladar

This sounds too similar.

Heh. But the problem is more in how it's written than how it's pronounced. Adolin shortens it to Maya which is rather different to May.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adolin becoming edgedancer would also help with all those incapacitating wounds he's prone to attract. Once he has regrowth his little brother doesn't have to follow him around all the time in order to heal him. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17-11-2017 at 3:45 PM, Leyrann said:

Sounds Edgedancer to me.

Yes, Adolin is definitely Edgedancer material.

Apart from this finale... haven't you noticed that both Adolin and Lift have the exact same effect on people? Yes, they're awesome (in very different ways) but people keep reflecting on them being weird and dismissing them as (in Nale's words) "... always so concerned with small-minded things... ". 

The funny thing is, that very small-mindedness may be just why a cultivationspren could be resurrected.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.