[OB] Mayalaran

Leyrann

It’s been theorized before, but more than ever before does it seem not only possible, but actually likely that Adolin will somehow revive his Shardblade’s spren and – presumably – become an Edgedancer in the process. It’s already quite interesting that he managed some very rudimentary communication and – and that was truly an OMG moment for me – actually summoned the Blade (Mayablade?) in less than ten heartbeats.

I think he'll revive her and will bond her. The whole Sadeas murder thing and Adolin's guilt regarding it (or more specifically his guilt regarding how his father saw him) might have started breaking his soul a bit and, with enough breaking, I think he will qualify for a Nahel bond. He had a bit of a rough childhood with his mother's death and Dalinar's guilty drinking but I feel like he was always upbeat in the flashbacks and came out really well despite it all. Before that murder, I don't think he was really broken at all but I think that at least cracked him a bit. Combined with his guilt over Elhokar and Kholinar, I think he might be on his way to being a good candidate for a bond though he needs to figure out how to awaken Maya first. 

She clearly has some level of consciousness, just not "true spren" level.  Adolin was also able to summon her at 7(?) heartbeats at a critical moment in a fight, which has interesting implications.  Clearly there is a bond slowly growing, but I think Maya will need to be somehow healed in order for things to progress much further.

1 hour ago, Salkara said:

My personal theory is that he needs greater Connection to Maya in order to revive her. If only he were a duralumin compounder, it would be a cake walk.

If only...

But maybe the Connection can increase. I think that he got some Connection with her due to being in Shadesmar together, but I also think that if there is some Connection, that Connection can be used to get more Connection.

5 minutes ago, lookingglass said:

I thought the revival had already started? Maya gives him her name and when he was in danger it took him 8 heartbeats to summon her. We already know that the 10 heartbeats for summoning makes dead spren live a little but bonded spren don't need that so maybe Maya is now "mostly" dead?

Only mostly dead? I like that.

As we all know "There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead." B)

On the topic of dead spren didn't anyone find it weird that the spren's eyes were scratched out and when you kill someone with a shardblade their eyes burn? Is it the spren imitating what happens to humans in the physical realm o something else? Eyes are windows to the soul after all, so does that mean the line between a spren's spiritual realm is broken?

It's interesting. There's some odd levels of connection to eyes and magic on Roshar. In the first book Kal and Szeth both blink several timed while activating Lashings(Haven't looked through the other two books to see if it continues). Red Eyes are a big deal related to the thrill. Radiants get light eyes. Rosharan blades(but only Rosharan blades) burn out the eyes. Somehow in this case it reminded me of the gems used to make a connection to the blade. But beyond that I couldn't say. That's just an intuition. 

All those things together do suggest a connection between eyes and the spiritual realm on Roshar. 

2 minutes ago, Aminar said:

It's interesting. There's some odd levels of connection to eyes and magic on Roshar. In the first book Kal and Szeth both blink several timed while activating Lashings(Haven't looked through the other two books to see if it continues). Red Eyes are a big deal related to the thrill. Radiants get light eyes. Rosharan blades(but only Rosharan blades) burn out the eyes. Somehow in this case it reminded me of the gems used to make a connection to the blade. But beyond that I couldn't say. That's just an intuition. 

All those things together do suggest a connection between eyes and the spiritual realm on Roshar. 

So are you suggesting that the gem acts as a replacement set of eyes and somehow forms a temporary connection?

3 minutes ago, lookingglass said:

So are you suggesting that the gem acts as a replacement set of eyes and somehow forms a temporary connection?

I don't know exactly. But like, couldn't a gem cause those hundreds of scratches somehow, when the shardblade is being summoned. It's... It seems related. But yes. Like, if eyes are the human connection point for Roshar. And gems are the material collection point they should interact in this case, right? 

2 minutes ago, Aminar said:

I don't know exactly. But like, couldn't a gem cause those hundreds of scratches somehow, when the shardblade is being summoned. It's... It seems related. But yes. Like, if eyes are the human connection point for Roshar. And gems are the material collection point they should interact in this case, right? 

But we don't see the gem in Shadesmar.

So stormlight is the spiritual point?

But we don't see the gem in Shadesmar.

So stormlight is the spiritual point?

Stormlight and blades don't interact though. I imagine its something like the eyes get scratched a little every time the blade is summoned and after a thousand years that's a lot of scratches. Plus it makes the blade summoning crueler because its painful and damaging to the spren, just as much as zombifying it is. But like I said, it's an intuition, not a hard theory. 

2 hours ago, Aminar said:

Stormlight and blades don't interact though. I imagine its something like the eyes get scratched a little every time the blade is summoned and after a thousand years that's a lot of scratches. Plus it makes the blade summoning crueler because its painful and damaging to the spren, just as much as zombifying it is. But like I said, it's an intuition, not a hard theory. 

Interesting. That could be linked to their screaming when summoned

On 14/11/2017 at 8:01 AM, rdog2213 said:

I think he'll revive her and will bond her.

I'm reasonably sure the order is reversed. He'll complete bonding her possibly with Dalinar's help (Bondsmithing involves Connection) and then that will revive her

Adolin summoning Maya in under 10 heartbeats was one of the more surprising moments in the book for me. I had to read it a few times to really register it.

I also noticed a striking similarity to Maya in Shadesmar and Ash scratching out her own eyes in all depictions of Herself. Not sure that’s relevant to anything, but I actually thought briefly that Maya was Ash in the Cognitive at the very beginning of that sequence, partly out of confusion since it was about 2 AM, and partly because of the scratched out eyes.

Part 4 was interesting in all sorts of ways and as soon as we saw Maya there I was thinking "ooh! does this mean what I think it means!?"

This was a great scene:

“This is what you were designed for, isn’t it?” Adolin said softly as his Blade dropped into his hand. “It was for fighting things like that. Shardblades are impractically long for duels, and Plate is overkill even on the battlefield. But against a monster of stone . . .”

He felt something. A stirring on the wind.

“You want to fight it, don’t you?” Adolin asked. “It reminds you of when you were alive.”

Something tickled his mind, very faint, like a sigh. A single word: Mayalaran. A . . . name?

“Right, Maya,” Adolin said. “Let’s bring that thing down.”

I think book 4 is planned to be set 1 year after the end of book 3, so this should give more time for the bond develop enough for Adolin to say the Words.

On a side note, I was wondering if we might see Adolin become one of Shallan's squires. I wonder if that would help or not with reviving Maya? Do squires generally have to be of the same Order?

33 minutes ago, Ryshadium said:

Adolin summoning Maya in under 10 heartbeats was one of the more surprising moments in the book for me. I had to read it a few times to really register it.

I also noticed a striking similarity to Maya in Shadesmar and Ash scratching out her own eyes in all depictions of Herself. Not sure that’s relevant to anything, but I actually thought briefly that Maya was Ash in the Cognitive at the very beginning of that sequence, partly out of confusion since it was about 2 AM, and partly because of the scratched out eyes.

Like I said, Eyes are a big deal in the series. They're also how Shallan takes a memory. She blinks.