[OB] On the Varieties of True Spren

WeiryWriter

On 15/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Pagerunner said:

I'm having a hard time reconciling CR mistspren/ PR Truthwatcher spren, and CR lightsprean / PR comet spren. The five kinds of spren we have seen in both Physical and Cognitive Realms have been extremely similar across Realms - in the case of Syl and Ivory, pretty much just a smaller version. I don't think that those ones match.

The comet spren... there's something very odd about it. It speaks to Rhythms, even before Venli has bonded it. None of the other spren do that.

If I were in a crazy mood, I'd say that mistspren sound like something that came over from Scadrial. But it would take quite a series of events to get Scadrian splinters serving Rosharan honorspren.

In regards to the comet spren speaking in Rhythms, don't forget that the spren gains sentience by bonding with the surgebinder. Maybe the bond allows it to communicate in a manner which is of the Surgebinder. 

I don't know of any reference saying that the spren must speak the human tongues. 

Correct me if I'm wrong!

• 2 months later...

Question... so ... the Bondsmiths are like the higher spren from Honor, Cultivation and "not sure". The Honorspren/cultivation spren are like the next level but from the same two shards. How about the rest? They are from the same shards? or are they spren from other shards? or I am getting this wrong?

1 minute ago, Rebeca said:

Question... so ... the Bondsmiths are like the higher spren from Honor, Cultivation and "not sure". The Honorspren/cultivation spren are like the next level but from the same two shards. How about the rest? They are from the same shards? or are they spren from other shards? or I am getting this wrong?

All the Radiant spren are mixes of Honor and Cultivation.  Some are more Culti, some are more Honor.  They miiiiiiiiight have a tiny bit of Odium in them.

On 11/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, Pagerunner said:

The comet spren... there's something very odd about it. It speaks to Rhythms, even before Venli has bonded it. None of the other spren do that.

Do we really know the other spren weren't, though, when they first started to bond?  I mean, if Pattern had been buzzing to the Rhythms, would Shallan have noticed?

I think it's quite possible that most of this thread is correct -- that Timbre is pulsing to the Rhythms because, for Venli, the Rhythms are a form of communication.  But I also think it's quite possible that all the spren resonate to the Rhythms in their own way before their bond is fully formed, but only Venli is in position to recognize the Rhythms when she sees them.

It seems pretty obvious that spren pick up the language of their bonded person through the Connection formed between them, we know that spren have their own languages in Shadesmar and many don't speak other languages at all so they'd pretty much have to be picking up the language.  It doesn't seem far fetched that Timbre is picking up the Rhythms from Venli as well.

On 26/2/2018 at 9:15 PM, RShara said:

All the Radiant spren are mixes of Honor and Cultivation.  Some are more Culti, some are more Honor.  They miiiiiiiiight have a tiny bit of Odium in them.

This makes sense. And is this how we know Honor and Culti, were.. more than friends?

2 minutes ago, Rebeca said:

This makes sense. And is this how we know Honor and Culti, were.. more than friends?

Nah, that's from this

StormAtlas (paraphrased)

Were Cultivation and Honor romantically involved?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

source

• 3 months later...

I should mention, if I haven't already, that Brandon has confirmed that Reachers/Lightspren are the true spren of the Order of Willshapers.

He has also confirmed that mistspren are NOT true spren.

You can look in the Arcanum for it, i myself am too lazy to actually get the quotes mentioned and not sure how I'd put them in here, if I did. 

The names of the Truthwatcher spren and Stoneward spren are unknown, however i have seen somewher people referring to the Stoneward spren as stonespren, even though this term is not the official term (like godspren for the 3 Bondsmith spren).

On 11/30/2017 at 11:52 PM, echaozh said:

I think the Keenspren are more likely the spren for Truthwatchers. First, they like gardens, and TW spren tend to have plants growing from their light in the PR. Secondly, Watchers do have to be keen, right?

Correct me if I' wrong, but isn't there a WoB saying the word keen refers to mourning or wailing?

8 hours ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Correct me if I' wrong, but isn't there a WoB saying the word keen refers to mourning or wailing?

I don't think we have a WoB, but in one of the foreign language versions the closest English to what was printed was "lamentspren." 

I wish I could remember which language that was from though

11 hours ago, Crucible of Shards said:

It is one of the meanings of the word, though a more obscure one. It is also, apparently, among other things, an Irish funeral song. Kind of makes sense, I suppose, if there are spren like joyspren and laughterspren, a keenspren wouldn't be unlikely. 

On 6/9/2018 at 2:10 AM, TheEdgedancer said:

I should mention, if I haven't already, that Brandon has confirmed that Reachers/Lightspren are the true spren of the Order of Willshapers.

He has also confirmed that mistspren are NOT true spren.

You can look in the Arcanum for it, i myself am too lazy to actually get the quotes mentioned and not sure how I'd put them in here, if I did. 

The names of the Truthwatcher spren and Stoneward spren are unknown, however i have seen somewher people referring to the Stoneward spren as stonespren, even though this term is not the official term (like godspren for the 3 Bondsmith spren).

Technically he confirmed that mistspren don't bond with humans to make them Radiant. They could still be true spren.

@TheEdgedancer Brandon has confirmed the description of Stonewards' spren I believe, we just don't have a name for them, their name also hasn't been canonized.

Pagerunner [PENDING REVIEW]

The cracked stone spren that we saw, we didn't get a name for them, are they the Stoneward spren?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes- Oh wait, yes.

Pagerunner [PENDING REVIEW]

Do they have a name you can canonize right now?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No, I don't.

source

@Agent34 If true spren are sentient spren, like I am told, then mistspren are true spren.

Edited by MountainKing
Adding a quote and Fixing information

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

@TheEdgedancer Brandon has confirmed the description of Stonewards' spren I believe, we just don't have a name for them, their name also hasn't been canonized.

@Agent34 If true spren are sentient spren, like I am told, then mistspren are true spren.

I know I'm being pedantic here, but true spren are not just sentient, they are sapient. There is a huge difference between those two things. All spren are sentient: having sentience only means that the being responds to external stimuli. Sapience is having the capability of thought and emotions and things like that. Only true spren have sapience, which is what distinguishes them from lesser spren.

• Chaos locked this topic