[OB] Full Book Reactions / Full Spoilers Thread

Chaos

On an overall note, I felt that this was Brandon's best book, on a purely writing level.  I find that his skills as a writer have improved greatly over time, and that pattern has not changed with Oathbringer.  He has always had tremendous skill with characters and worldbuilding, but this was the first of his books where I felt the writing itself was at the same level.  The prose felt tighter and flowed better than even WoR and WoK. It made reading the book an incredibly fulfilling experience. 

Just finished reading, and that was such an awesome book, when is the next one out?

Characters:

I loved a lot of the characters, Elhokar, the Radiant Spren (Syl, Pattern, Timbre), Adolin, Kaladin, rest of Bridge 4, Dalinar and like so many more. And Hoid. Characters I Hated: Moash, Amaram, Mr T, Venli. And somewhere in the middle is Shallan.

Plotlines:

I absolutely loved Dalinar’s story arc, it was totally awesome and emotionally super well done. I also really liked Kaladin’s not teaching the fourth Oath, because I think it will help pace out his story, and I liked how it forced other characters into the spotlight. For the Shalladin/Shadolin story, I wasn’t a huge fan. I feel like there was a lot of buildup, and not a ton of payoff - HOWEVER, I do like that it didn’t dominate the book, and it also helped progress both Kaladin and Adolin (but actually not really Shallan though).

And just in general, I really liked how the book came together, I think it definitely met the standard the other books set, and may have even raised it (if nothing else, then in the page count department, because who doesn’t want 200 more pages of Stormlight?)

Am i the only one who happy to see Kaladin getting some kid stuff to carry about. First newborn brother, then Elhokar's son. Its pretty cute.

I bet the 4th book will contain some "Kaladin taught to be a father" scenes because he has both newborn brother and Elhokar's kid to carry about. Well, Elhokar son would most likely be carried by Navani and Dalinar but i bet Kaladin will feel the need to teach the boy how to be a good men since Elhokare asked him to carry for his son.

Maybe in book 5th and further we will se matured Kaladin who teach young brother and young Elhokar son. That would be cool.

Edited by Harbour

So...  seeing the future is of Odium....  but has Sja-anat corrupted that?  How else would Kaladin's vision lead them to exactly where they needed to be.  How else would Renarin be wrong about Jasnah killing him?

Mr. T joined Odium supposedly, yet didn't tell him about the part of the future Odium could no longer see due to Renarin, so maybe he didn't really?  I'm interested to see how this plays out.  Odium believes he can see the future, but can't see the part that was influenced by Renarin/Sja-Anat?  That will be interesting.

A lot of good things in this book, but the only thing i feel like commenting on right now is how much Moash disgusts me, i had some hope for him with his first povs but no, he had to decide to remain a fool and a tool because the world is unfair, when i reread the scene in which he saluted Kaladin, i wished for nothing more than to rip his arms out. 

Edited by Darvys

16 minutes ago, Shards of Mist said:

So...  seeing the future is of Odium....  but has Sja-anat corrupted that?  How else would Kaladin's vision lead them to exactly where they needed to be.  How else would Renarin be wrong about Jasnah killing him?

Mr. T joined Odium supposedly, yet didn't tell him about the part of the future Odium could no longer see due to Renarin, so maybe he didn't really?  I'm interested to see how this plays out.  Odium believes he can see the future, but can't see the part that was influenced by Renarin/Sja-Anat?  That will be interesting.

It's also of Cultivation? No?

15 minutes ago, Shards of Mist said:

Adolin lets her be her.  He doesn't need or want her to be anything else.  

That's everyone's reaction to Kaladin.  It's not Shallan specific.  It's what Kaladin is.  Sure he's a protector, but even more than that, he's a leader.  He inspires others to be better than they were.  This will be IMO where his next Ideals will go.

The interpretation is wrong, that bit was clearly showcasing Veil taking over, had nothind to do with Kaladin's effect on people.

2 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

The HSQ is getting high now and with so many Worldhoppers about and Saze's reply to Hoid, I think we are gonna see some proper cross-planet stuff maybe as early as book 5

Is it confirmed that Sazed wrote that letter? I thought it might have been, but is there a WoB or something obvious in the text that I should have noticed.

2 minutes ago, Marethyu316 said:

Is it confirmed that Sazed wrote that letter? I thought it might have been, but is there a WoB or something obvious in the text that I should have noticed.

It uses his catchphrase, refers to his servants, refers to 2 intents and being new to godhood. It doesn't need a WOB, IMO, it's beyond all reasonable doubt, I think ;)

1 minute ago, IndigoAjah said:

It uses his catchphrase, refers to his servants, refers to 2 intents and being new to godhood. It doesn't need a WOB, IMO, it's beyond all reasonable doubt, I think ;)

Those are what I noticed too. I agree that those definitely point at him; I just wondered if I'd missed anything else, since I just finished the book and haven't had time to read many reactions yet.

Edit: I think I missed the "new to godhead" part...that is even more obvious.

Edited by Marethyu316

3 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

The HSQ is getting high now and with so many Worldhoppers about and Saze's reply to Hoid, I think we are gonna see some proper cross-planet stuff maybe as early as book 5

This might be a stupid question,  but what is an HSQ?

"Kharbranth," Odium said. "The city itself, and any humans who have been born into it, along with their spouses. This is whom I will spare. Do you agree to this?"

Taravangian is going to turn the Death Rattle hospital into a giant maternity ward, and marry the entire population of Roshar off to native Khabranthian-born child husbands/brides. 

20 hours ago, asterion137 said:
  • Huh Eshonai's dead. I wonder if she's a next generation fused or something since her book is still coming right?

We were told Brandon doesn't feel it necessary for a flashback character to be alive in the book they have flashbacks.

So I spent pretty much all of Part V utterly blown away. A few things stood out though.

Taln's reaction to what the others did was beautiful. He's not upset about 4,500 years of torture. He's happy because of what it bought humanity. And considering what we found out about the Oathpact, I'm even more impressed - Other Heralds, even with the ability to split pain between them, couldn't last a year at the end. He survived it for four and a half millenia. Sure, he's a mess right now, but I'm confident he's going to recover a fair bit. 

Adolin and his shardblade. I'm so happy that she seems to be doing better.

Szeth choosing Dalinar as his anchor. Honestly, it was pretty poor timing (although he didn't know it), but you can definitely do worse than following Dalinar. 

1 hour ago, IndigoAjah said:

It's also of Cultivation? No?

Cultivation can definitely do it, but I don't think we have any evidence of her granting that ability to anyone else. And she demonstrated the ability wonderfully in this book, outplaying Odium, tricking him and trapping him in an agreement. 

There's a Truthwatcher gem that mentions foresight, but they don't seem to be very open about it.

Don’t tell anyone. I can’t say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this. —From drawer 30-20, a particularly small emerald

Emeralds being the gem associated with Pali, the patron of the Truthwatchers (Also the gem used in the epigraph that talks about "fellow Truthwatchers"). 

I had all those plans of reading slowly and making the book last, but alas. Agree with those who say it's Brandon's best book - it has a wonderful balance of plot, characters, mythology and character development. I found it incredibly emotionally rewarding; and i loved all the dynamics explored. If I had to pick a favourite arc it would be Kholinar, though reading about Elhokar was really rough - he's probably my favourite minor character and his death was pretty much the only thing I was praying wouldn't happen that ended up happening *cue shocked and sad reactions*. Kaladin really needs to look after that kid since the entire Kholin clan apparently just forgot.

All in all I'm just really, really satisfied. And I can feel the withdrawal coming up already.

Oh man that was an emotional roller coaster.

Elokhar holding his son and trying to say the oaths, then .... Moash

Shallan .... just all over the board, wit, trying to help and failing, repeatedly

That moment when you realize Renerian has bonded a voidspren

And being absolutely terrified we had lost Dalinar, vision of him as champion ....no no no...

And then, Dalinar!

Maya!

and so many more  it those are the ones that stand out after just finishing. Man that was an amazing story! 

Really surprised that the Heralds know Midius by name.

Now that he is a soul caster.  Does this mean that he no longer needs to ride perpendicularities to access the Cognitive realm?  

Im also surprised that Odium seems to have far less control of his practicioners than Ruin did.

Edited by lordofsoup