[OB] Full Book Reactions / Full Spoilers Thread

Chaos

1 hour ago, Mulk said:

She knows who he is - she saw him in the company of her...ah..employee, who had owned him prior to selling him to the Parshendi.

Liss sell the shin before meet jasnah. 

“That new servant of yours outside,” Jasnah said. “Didn’t you say you wanted to show him off for me?”
“Talak?” Liss said, glancing at the Veden man. “Oh, you mean that other one. No, Brightness, I sold that one to a slaver a few weeks ago.” Liss grimaced.
“Really? I thought you said he was the best servant you’d ever had.”

but she see the assassin in the moment of the death of her father

Jasnah screamed, dashing through the room to the broken balcony, falling to her knees at the edge. Wind tugged locks of hair loose from her bun as she watched two men fall.
Her father, and the Shin man in white from the feast.
The Shin man glowed with a white light. He fell onto the wall. He hit it, rolling, then came to a stop. He stood up, somehow remaining on the outer palace wall and not falling. It defied reason.
He turned, then stalked toward her father.

6 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

-That picture of Shalash in the endpapers is the one Pom destroyed, isn't it?

Should be.

6 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

-Drehy and Skar got away from Kholinar, but there's nothing about Shallan's people. :(

They are mentioned:

They gave Kaladin a pair of sharp salutes. Drehy had old cuts on his face and Skar looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks. They’d had to cover their foreheads in ash to hide their tattoos, an act that wouldn’t have worked in simpler times. It basically marked them as runaway slaves.

Syl let out a laugh of pure delight, zipping over to them—and from the way they reacted, it seemed she’d let them see her. Behind them, Shallan’s three servants emerged from their cloaks. Kaladin didn’t know the other people, but one of them would be the merchant they’d found—a man who still possessed a spanreed.

On 2017-11-26 at 6:34 AM, vividox said:

Oh my God, and I forgot to mention. Adolin and Maya was AWESOME. When he summoned her at just seven heartbeats... holy cow that was awesome. He's healing his Shardblade!

I believe it was 8 heartbeats, but nonetheless awesome! I remember coming to the end of Words of Radiance and being disappointed that everyone was starting to get magic powers (as well as conveniently coming back to life, but I mean Szeth and Jasnah are two of the most awesome and powerful killing machines on Roshar so I am glad they are back with us in the physical realm). However, in regards to Adolin, I was happy that we still had an amazing non-radiant character to ground the story for us uninvested folk. But I mean come on... The relationship between Maya and Adolin is almost as good if not as good as the relationship between Adolin and Shallan. Let him become radiant!

On 2017-11-24 at 4:18 AM, manugutito said:

There was speculation by the shard cast that the "seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created" quote could reference autonomies' (or possibly Trell if your theory holds) possible influence or presence on First of the Sun, even though silver light has specifically stated that there is NOT a shard residing on this planet there is clearly investiture permeating the planet andthe creatures who live amongst the "pantheon" (notice the name and possible significance there). This investiture creates a cognitive connection of creatures on these various islands. Allowing predators to hunt via reading the brain waves or thought waves of their prey (could be characteristic of a hive mind or at least connectedness of minds). There is also a stable perpendicularity there which we know is a pooling of a shards power. Why is there a stable perpendicularity in place where no shard currently resides? From WoB there is at least one shard who manifests in many different individuals to the extent that there are worlds where people worship various different gods and goddesses that are all one shard, Bavadin who I believe is Autonomy. So it is possible that one individual who is autonomy or perhaps multiple individuals who are autonomy (the pantheon) are actually dwelling on first of the sun and there presence there has caused the stable perpendicularity to form. I forget if creatures from different islands (The Avian? Or birds which I forget the name for) actually manifest different abilities based on the island of their birth or the ones they are brought to. This could suggest the individual nature (or autonomy) of the different hosts of Autonomy in the way that ther investiture manifests differently from one another's from island to island or individual to individual. But I could be wrong and it could be the interaction of a single source of investiture in reaction to the autonomy of the individual bird or individual species of bird or even more so if this extends to other creatures. We know on Roshar that Spren bond with different creatures and this symbiosis of investiture and organic being results in different abilities or capabilities of that animal that would otherwise go against the normal rules of physics (skyeels flight, and chasmfiends ability to not get crushed beneath their own weight). The symbiotic relationship of investiture from autonomy (or trell or whomever) on the creaturesand people of First of the Sun may manifest similarly.

Edited by Cephandrius Everstorm

the dalinar flashback sequence was masterful. It was a chore to read through shallan's and adolin's, but not those ones. And that bait! Just when I was thinking "well, the warmongering is done. Dalinar was not a bad guy, but he didn't do anything irredemable", and then slam! rathalas round 2! Also discovering that he never really loved his wife, and that he was an absent father for his children. My admiration for adolin is even greater now: he turned out so good despite a father that cared little about him until he was 18. the sequences in the way of king when adolin supports and helps dalinar are much stronger for it; dalinar was not a good father, and yet adolin still stands by him.

And despite everything we uncover about his past, dalinar still gained redemption. Just sublime. Incidentally, dalinar not only redeemed himself, but a lot other people in the process. by acting as he did, he won the trust and admiration of both adolin and szeth. if dalinar had been a shred less honorable, kaladin would have been in moash' place, and szeth would have sided with odium. All this from someone who committed genocide ten yeas prior.

redemption is a really big theme in the SA. Pretty much every main character needs to gain redemption from something. Some achieve it, while others lose their chance. And the top contender for this is taravangian. really, near the end I was thinking he'd tell everyone to dalinar, come clean and support him. instead, he just told dalinar enough to gain his trust, and then he allied with odium. really? I mean, really? the diagram failed big time on predicting stuff. and if dalinar managed to resist odium despite vargo's best attempts to sabotage him, then maybe the rational thing to do would have been to ditch the diagram and help him. but no, he had to go and ally with odium.this is where I stop seeing him as a deeply conflicted man and start seeing him as a fanatic.

on the down side, I found the book slow in the kholinar arc - mostly because I didn't care enough about all the shallan's sub-arcs - and I was expecting more in the dialogues between shallan, adolin and kaladin. I mean, when she told adolin about the split personalities and he told her about sadeas, it had the potential to be a crowning moment of hearwarming, but it was more like "meh". also, superpowered mutant amaram was too much over the top.

First time posting and while I loved the book, I was felt myself getting disappointed every time the scenes shifted back to Shadesmar. It was a tough for me get through. I liked the overall aspect of seeing the sprens in their full form and the aspect of the higher sprens having cities, but it was quite honestly boring for me to read.

Moash and Taravangian how I loathe thee!! Disappointed in Malata's actions too.

28 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

redemption is a really big theme in the SA. Pretty much every main character needs to gain redemption from something. Some achieve it, while others lose their chance. And the top contender for this is taravangian. really, near the end I was thinking he'd tell everyone to dalinar, come clean and support him. instead, he just told dalinar enough to gain his trust, and then he allied with odium. really? I mean, really? the diagram failed big time on predicting stuff. and if dalinar managed to resist odium despite vargo's best attempts to sabotage him, then maybe the rational thing to do would have been to ditch the diagram and help him. but no, he had to go and ally with odium.this is where I stop seeing him as a deeply conflicted man and start seeing him as a fanatic.

I couldn't agree with this more, and that part was incredibly frustrating to me. 

I mean, I guess you can make the case that Taravangian really thinks that despite everything Dalinar has done, it's meaningless in the face of a Shard. But to actively undermine him when he's doing such a good job of evening the score is just bewildering. I guess it does fall in line with Taravangian's smarter/crueler days (a guarantee of a city is better than a slim chance at the whole population, in sheer numerical terms), but it's kind of strange that he puts so much emphasis on the smarter/crueler days when several parts of the diagram have already been shown to be wrong and clearly the future is not set in stone.

Tangential thought: I almost wonder if he's having more dumb/empathetic days because Cultivation is trying to make him more emotionally invested in his decisions?

55 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

but Mr. T during the confrontation whit odium read a sentece from the diagram itself. up to date the diagram had some resemblance of the ancient greek oracles, a truth spoke in riddle needed to be interpreted. the diagram is correct (at least some part of it) and point to 'join' odium after he try and fail to make dalinar his champion.

and I said find the day of genius and stupidity to much convenient, after Mr. T come to urithiru he needed a very smat day to 're-analyze' the diagram e come to the plan to undermine dalinar and take his place at the head of the colation. (place he can obtain because king of jah keved, one the country how weather better the new storm, kingdom gained by the diagram scheme), and in WoR the day he go to the destroyed vedenar and meet szeth cannot be too stupid, even the day the shin try to 'kill' Mr T. he show a good intellectual skill.

the crucial days he had alwasy the 'right' intelligence for the task. and i find this realy too suspiciously.

Edited by Fulminato

51 minutes ago, Fulminato said:

but Mr. T during the confrontation whit odium read a sentece from the diagram itself. up to date the diagram had some resemblance of the ancient greek oracles, a truth spoke in riddle needed to be interpreted. the diagram is correct (at least some part of it) and point to 'join' odium after he try and fail to make dalinar his champion.

I'm not sure about that. There is only so much taravangian could have written in 20 hours, and with an ever-branching future, there are limits to how many possibilities he can predict. I believe at this point that taravangian is basically grasping at straws, taking out-of.context pieces of the diagram and intepreting them as he wills.

35 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm not sure about that. There is only so much taravangian could have written in 20 hours, and with an ever-branching future, there are limits to how many possibilities he can predict. I believe at this point that taravangian is basically grasping at straws, taking out-of.context pieces of the diagram and intepreting them as he wills.

He read them out loud. “You have agreed to a battle of champions. You must withdraw to prevent this contest from occurring, and so must not meet with Dalinar Kholin again. Otherwise, he can force you to fight. This means you must let your agents do your work. You need me.”

Oathbringer Chapter 122 "A Debt Repaid"

i find this too perfect, for write that sentence you need to know

• Dalinar became the bondsmith
  • Dalinar follow the path of contested champion
  • the odium's champion  will be Dalinar
  • Dalinar refuse the odium's offer
  • Odium will poke around the diagram
  • Odium don't have a plan B

how a man, even one at his highest intelligence, can put all thing together? this remember me the 'hero of ages' prophecies. in the end they find exact resolution. but the prophecies was crafted by a shard, the death rattle had the same accuracy, but a unmade make them (probably) using the dying soul to glimpse the future in the spiritual realm. no common man should had made so perfect phrase for the aftermath of the thaylen city's battle.

I think cultivation had 'shaped' the diagram narrative to in the end defeat odium.

Edited by Fulminato

Hey Ya'll I thought I'd just drop this here.  You'll notice at the bottom of my profile is a theory from 2013 postulating that humans came to Roshar and Parshendi were natives.    Along with a request for anyone who'd said this previously to speak up.  I just noticed it, it made me laugh. 

Rosharian Anthropology

2 hours ago, The Rooster said:

Hey Ya'll I thought I'd just drop this here.  You'll notice at the bottom of my profile is a theory from 2013 postulating that humans came to Roshar and Parshendi were natives.    Along with a request for anyone who'd said this previously to speak up.  I just noticed it, it made me laugh. 

Rosharian Anthropology

Yes, I remember seeing that theory before, and it was considered likely, given how alien they are over the general landscape.

Among confirmed theories, we have also dalinar killing his wife.

I don't think anyone guessed anything about the fused before they appeared in book, though.

Edited by king of nowhere

22 hours ago, Fulminato said:

He read them out loud. “You have agreed to a battle of champions. You must withdraw to prevent this contest from occurring, and so must not meet with Dalinar Kholin again. Otherwise, he can force you to fight. This means you must let your agents do your work. You need me.”

Oathbringer Chapter 122 "A Debt Repaid"

i find this too perfect

Yep, I agree.  I think that line was either added after the fact by someone (not necessarily Mr T,) or Cultivation played a much larger role in the Diagram then simply giving Mr. T a gift and a curse.

Wait, so what was Malata's purpose? At one point Taravangian mentions that neither she nor her spren have any issue doing the Diagram's dirty work, but was it mentioned what she was up to?

I'd assumed she'd been the one somehow destroying Dalinar's block from his old memories/connection to Cultivation with her Surges, in order to position Taravangian as the new head of the coalition – but doesn't Dalinar state at the end that it was Cultivation's plan to restore his memories all along?

Also, worth noting that malata means "ill" or "diseased" in Italian, not something I'd noticed until I checked her name for spelling.

I was really bothered by the "big secret" that humans were invaders on Roshar--I thought it was a great reason for the Recreance, but it was totally unrealistic for the coalition of humans to break apart because of this revelation. There are so, so many real-life examples of humans KNOWING they are invaders, yet still fighting tooth and nail for their land. This would be especially true against a force that wants to wipe humanity off the face of a planet where they've lived for thousands of years. People have committed genocide based on so much less.

You kinda have combine the fact that the KR find out they were the bad guys to start with the fact that the Stormfather reveals Honor was raving and saying they would destroy the world.  In that light, the Recreance was a direct attempt to not destroy the world.  It's something they shouldn't have done in retrospect but when your deity is a raving lunatic...well, I don't know what I would have done.

1 minute ago, Andvari said:

I was really bothered by the "big secret" that humans were invaders on Roshar--I thought it was a great reason for the Recreance, but it was totally unrealistic for the coalition of humans to break apart because of this revelation. There are so, so many real-life examples of humans KNOWING they are invaders, yet still fighting tooth and nail for their land. This would be especially true against a force that wants to wipe humanity off the face of a planet where they've lived for thousands of years. People have committed genocide based on so much less.

I think it was that information in addition to the two other leaks that broke apart the coalition. It was tenuous to begin with, and having three reasons to distrust Dalinar or his reasons for gathering them, on top of their pre-existing reservations about an alliance with Alethkar, was enough to breed distrust.

Just now, Ookla the Mulkfather said:

You kinda have combine the fact that the KR find out they were the bad guys to start with the fact that the Stormfather reveals Honor was raving and saying they would destroy the world.  In that light, the Recreance was a direct attempt to not destroy the world.  It's something they shouldn't have done in retrospect but when your deity is a raving lunatic...well, I don't know what I would have done.

Yeah I guess I should re-phrase, I thought it made sense for the Radiants to find out and abandon their oaths, but in OB I didn't think it made sense for the human kingdoms to be SO shaken by this and just throw in the towel. It would have really thrown people, but probably not caused them to just give up and go home. Most people would have been like "I definitely don't have the moral high ground now, but what am I supposed to do, just lie down and die?"

I really enjoyed this book! Some of the character arcs bothered me though. I didn't like Kaladin's childness towards a battle with the Parshendi. For a guy that was in an army as a spear men for years and then a bridge men he was overly sensitive to seeing death again. Shallan and he personality disorder was pretty annoying to read too.

Dalinar meeting Odium blew my mind the first time, I wasn't ready to meet him.

The letters to Hoid in the chapter preludes were so cool!

While in Shadesmar someone mentioned there's dead eyes spren there, I wonder if there's a hoard of them hiding from humans or if those are ones that humans are holding and waiting to be summoned. There does seem to be a whole lot of missing shard blades out there considering the Recreance.

The secret that caused the Recreance seemed a little underwhelming. Maybe it's because he's kinda teased this a few times while talking about horses and chickens are different than normal life on Roshar which abstractly points to humans as well.

Final battle, OMG! Whole Alethi army turns on Theylens & Dalinar! Amaram and Kaladin battle! You find out Rock was a soldier and lost his brothers making him a cook, he gets his family again and then fights! Sorry, those final chapters really got me fanboying. I was just so disappointed about Kaladin's arc, and I'm upset he didn't swear the next Ideal. I wanted to see Radiant Shardplate in action, that isn't in a vision. He's been a favorite of mine, but seeing Jasnah put him down and she was very right in her deduction of his actions. Also, Jasnah is back! I thoroughly enjoy her stone cold look at the world, and seeing her in battle (again, kinda) where she Soul Casts AIR! She was a Soul Casting machine, and I thought that was so interesting to read. I had never truly thought of battle implications of Soul Casting but that was super fascinating to me!