[OB] Full Book Reactions / Full Spoilers Thread

Chaos

Forgot to squee over this: the climax fights were storming awesome. I really loved Jasnah's fight scenes in particular--chain chullslap of doom, anyone? I used to think Elsecallers were a bit meh, but I have learned the error of my ways now.

2 minutes ago, Fallen_Ash said:

That was the entire culmination of the plot, so why include the Kaladin stuff at all?

That sums up my thoughts on the matter. I feel like Brandon tried but couldn't get it right so he just cut it off at the end.

Maybe its not over, and we'll see something in the next book? It's not like Shallan's cured, she's just made a little progress. And we've seen how relapses can suddenly occur with Kaladin's depression.

1 minute ago, TheLordRuler said:

That sums up my thoughts on the matter. I feel like Brandon tried but couldn't get it right so he just cut it off at the end.

Maybe its not over, and we'll see something in the next book? It's not like Shallan's cured, she's just made a little progress. And we've seen how relapses can suddenly occur with Kaladin's depression.

I am hoping, like I said, for a little more conflict resolution. I don’t want all of Shallan’s problems to go away because she got married. That’s a disservice to her character. 

One of the reasons I love Brandon is the way he develops characters, and this arc was just so bland. Instead of the awkward flirting and back rubs that added nothing to the story, tell me more about Jasnah’s childhood!!

Since Shallan and Kaladin have some big Ideals to say, I am hopeful we’ll get some meatier development. If we do, I will rescind all complaints. 

20 minutes ago, Fallen_Ash said:

he likes her even though she’s broken.

I... know this isn't the KSA relationship discussion thread, but I feel like, that I need to address this shortly.

I don't think, that Adolin likes the broken Shallan. He is willing to try to deal with it, but actually only likes the Shallan, that she shows him. He actually doesn't know the broken Shallan. Her multiple personalities aren't what makes her broken, but are a consequence of her true brokenness.

Edited by SLNC

10 minutes ago, Solant said:

Odium makes Ruin look like he's just a schoolyard bully.

In some ways I can see that, but in other ways I think Ruin was more impressive.  More subtle.  And he came just a hairsbreadth from total victory.  I think Brandon's writing of Odium is far better because he's come a long way as an author since then, but overall I think Ruin was just as effective in his own way.

2 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

Another point I forgot to mention earlier on is Vasher and his criminal status. 

My take when initially responding was she was just hunting Nightblood, but when I found the quote below, confirmed that it's both.

“Yeah. Borea thinks the weapon I’m chasing passed through their fortress a few years ago.”

“Your bounty is a … weapon?”

“And the one who brought it to your land.

I think she is hunting then both in an attempt to fix/destroy NB since she apparently had a less flawed awakened sword.

3 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

The constant repetition of "Unite Them" to Dalinar. I think uniting the humans of Roshar is the first step, but am I the only one who thinks this extends to uniting the humans and Singers/Listeners (I don't think all the listeners are dead)? Whats the other alternative? Genocide against a species they have already wronged in so many ways? We've seen through Venli and the Thaylen Singers that perhaps they aren't so keen on war and a compromise can be reached. I think if more Singers were to join the KR's then it could be key to solving the issue. Additionally, I don't think its a war they can win anyway. Virtually no Radiants, no Honour, no Heralds, no Uritheru and the Coalition has fragmented before ever being set. 

Peace between the 2 groups is likely the only way to win. But I'd like to point out 7 Radiants held off an army of Voidbringers in Thaylen city for quite a while :P. Being the underdogs is something these protagonists are used to.

6 hours ago, Mondaysjelly said:

With Amaram now out of the picture, Sons of Honour will now certainly make a move. As mentioned in the Adolin-Shallan-Kaladin thread, I suspect tensions in that dynamic will eventually lead to Navani revealing more about her troubled relationship with Gavilar before his death, which will tie in nicely with Restares and the Sons of Honour popping up.

Speaking of Navani...she is so nuts for having been in love with the Blackthorn. Who could love him when he was a monster? Evi was unique, and even she was scared of him.

2 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

I don't think its stupid, I just think expecting Brandon to fit that in somewhere is too much when he is already trying to cram a large story with many plots in. This becomes obvious when you look at the threads he dropped like Sadeas's death, Helaran's death, Amaram's role in the Sons of Honour all which are potentially more important than the triangle. 

Well, this is obviously my personal opinion. But I was thrilled many of the threads I wanted to see dropped were indeed dropped. Helaran thread is the only thing of SA I disliked. I found it contrieved, uneccesary and too typical of literature (huge trope). Additionally I deeply disliked Helaran for abandoning his family who needed him desperately to chase glory. I was happy it was barely mentioned. I wanted to see the Sadeas thread have little emotional or political impact because, a) who cares when everyone hated him,b ) when the end of the world is coming I think you have bigger problems than who killed a person who had no idea what world he was living in.

Last thread I wanted to see dissappear: love triangle. I wanted her to choose Adolin for practical reasons (Shallan and Kaladin are both main protagonists, if they got together they would overshadow all else, and in general Kaladin is more epic as a character but Adolin is a ray of sunlight which would probably be a more stable partner in a relationship). But either way I just wanted it resolved one way or the other, as I could get behind any of the boys (Kaladin and Adolin are probably my favorite SA characters, although for different reasons). And again, out it went. B).

So, I know its an unpopular opinion but I'm sort of happy those things were removed, as they were the least fun for me to read. The only thing I might have liked is a bit more Sons of Honor, and definetely a conversation between Szeth and Dalinar, and probably Szeth and Kaladin after the battle. I'm still holding out hope we will see this conversation sometime, maybe an extra excerpt or novella or something...

Oathbringer- A very apt title for a book which makes you swear A LOT with the surprises and twists.

A great book.  An ode to epic fantasy.  Brandon’s writing was brilliant and had some great highlights, particularly in part 3 and 4 with a very poignant Dalinar oath in Part 5.  Chapter 74, 75 and 76 are some of the most powerful chapters except the ending of Part 3.  Elhokar's death is an unexpected blow and so is the capture of his son at that point.  Hoid was muted somewhat, but I think the whole book high octave that there was very little space for even Wit to loosen up.  Secrets galore and revelations truly mind boggling.

But, there is a royal “But-t” B)

It felt as if the weight of feedback, requests and expectations got better of Brandon, resulting in a book that is too eager to please at times.

Indulgent in Part 1, tightening up in Part 2, explosive in part 3, scattered in part 4 and dragging after an awesome fight climax in part 5.

The indulgence in Part 1 meant that the story lagged and had to be rushed somewhat in other parts of the book.  And then the trip in Shadesmar to Celebrant was redundant and could have been skipped to give more writing time to Part 5.

Part 5 is where Brandon’s central idea shows his brilliance.  But there were big stumbles in my view with the Szeth storyline with boulder sized plot holes due to his part being under-cooked.

·        Szeth comes and starts helping and Dalinar/Jasnah are quick to accept his help.

·        Kaladin harangued Shallan just because she took her boots.  Yet, no consequence for Szeth turning up.

·        No one questioning Kaladin who had claimed that Szeth was dead.

·        Szeth becoming Dalinar’s bodyguard despite Dalinar having enough.

·        No other kingdoms wanted to put a bounty on Szeth’s head?  Really?

·        Szeth tells Nale that he’s going after the Shin.  Yet, now, he’s standing around being Dalinar’s bodyguard – so that Dalinar can go to a bloody wedding reception.

·        I’d been surprised if Dalinar had let Szeth stay if Szeth had mentioned the other Honorblades

·        Szeth hasn’t told Dalinar about Taravangian

·        Dalinar is happy to have Szeth – when they have fought a bloody war for 6 years just coz Szeth killed Dalinar’s brother, and effectively started the whole desolation (Dalinar wouldn’t have known about the rest of the things going on).

That whole Szeth scenario was bizarre, and needed more polish.  That mealy-mouthed end to Part 5 which dragged forever after the big fight with Odium is why the entire book felt unfinished.

I lay the blame on people chastising Brandon for Jasnah’s return in WoR.  Such a great plot device.  I loved it and I am sure others did too.  Sometimes if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  Brandon, I felt, tried to fix WoR and in a bigger book with a wider scope, resulting in some mis-steps.

So, in summary, it is a great book, but I am struggling with the concept of re-reading it.  It was a daunting read with the size, and I loved every minute of it.  But next time, I’d prefer a smaller book with more tightness around the edges from Brandon.

My criticism is an honest view for my favourite author and I would still recommend this series and serious love for all the characters.  Oathbringer is still a great book, but just not the best one of the Stormlight Archive.

·        Some of my favourite quotes are below.

Beard shrugged. "Let's just say, I know a lot about telling which stories have been made up.  Nobody's watching over us, Kal."

"Every child eventually realizes that her father isn't actually God."  She (Syl) looked at him.  "Do you think anybody is watching?  Do you really think there isn't anything out there?"

Dalinar glanced toward a sphere lantern, which had a polished metal surface.  The man who looked back seemed more Voidbringer than man, face crusted over with blackened blood, hair matted with it, blue eyes wide, jaw clenched.  He was sliced with what seemed to be a hundred wounds, his padded uniform in tatters. 

Oh, and someone take my wife to her tent so she may recover from her unwarranted grief.

Unable to stand that stone visage any longer, Dalinar left, stomping in the corridor towards the palace proper.  Other voices echoed after him... Dalinar continued forward, fleeing those fires below.  Gavilar's stare judging him, the cries of people dying in the rift...sweating, frantic, running through ornate hallways, past carved walls, sedate woods and accusatory mirrors.

Is mercy a bad thing?

"Not bad, just chaotic.... Leniency and mercy. .. Some go on... and others recidivate...creating great tragedies.  The thing is Szeth Son Son Naturo, we humans are terrible at spotting which will be which... Think wisely and choose. 

She closed her eyes and tried to pull herself together.  “Which one do you like the most?” she finally asked.  “Veil is the one who wears the white outfit, but I’m having trouble with her right now.  She peeks out sometimes when I don’t want, but then won’t come when I need her.  Radiant is the one who practices with the sword.  I made her prettier than the others, and you can talk to her about duelling.  But some of the time, I’ll have to be someone who can Lightweave.  I am trying to think who she should be…”

“Ash’s eyes, Shallan!”

“Shallan’s broken, so I think I’m trying to hide her.  Like a cracked vase, where you turn the nice side toward the room, hiding the flaw.  I’m not doing it on purpose, but it’s happening, and I don’t know how to stop it.”

He held her.

“No advice?” she asked numb.  “Everyone always seems have loads.”

“You’re the smart one.  What can I say?”

….

“You never did say, “ she whispered,  “which one you prefer.”

“It’s obvious.  I prefer the real you.”

“Which one is that, though?”

“She’s the one I’m talking to right now.  You don't have to hide, Shallan.  You don’t have to push it down.  Maybe the vase is cracked, but that only means that it can show what's inside.  And I like what’s inside.

Stones and splinters rained down on the city, crashing about her.  Dried bodies dropped liked discarded clothing.... No cries of fear, no moans of pain, bodies were just husks, skins just lying on the ground.

“Journey before destination,” Dalinar said. “It cannot be a journey if it doesn’t have a beginning.” .... Dalinar? “I will take responsibility for what I have done,” Dalinar whispered. “If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.”

The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it? It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar.

Yes, yes, yes to everything about Szeth you said @axcellence. I was willing to forgive why in battle they all just rolled with it, as everyone else had bailed ship or switched sides, by that point you take what you can get. And he had just vaporized a huge number of Voidbringers. But after? There should have been a 4h long conversation minimun. 

I wonder which book we'll get next. Szeth and Skybreakers? Or Eshonai/Venli and Willshapers?

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Completely agree about Szeth as well. You brought up a good point about the other Kingdoms as well. He would be considered a criminal by many but I don't know how many understand he is the assassin in white. 

Considering the lesson about secrets, I hope Dalinar keeps as few as possible. As honestly the ones that T released were minor, at best and apparently that was enough to break the delicate hearts of the coalition leaders. If Dalinar keeps this ones (Renarin, Szeth, etc) it would be far too much to juggle. I do however also think he needs to throw T into the fire by saying T is the one who ordered the death of all the previous monarchs, that could take the heat off Dalinar himself quite nicely.

Completely agree about Szeth as well. You brought up a good point about the other Kingdoms as well. He would be considered a criminal by many but I don't know how many understand he is the assassin in white. 

young dalinar was a monster, he laid waste in his wake long before the rift part 2, the burning.

and the end of the world his here, if the storming assasin in white want fight for you...

11 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

I thought he was talking about the 10 orders, it made the most sense to me.

Venli wasn't too far away so she might have been included? I don't think that's the case though since he is referring to the 9 in his proximity. Whats the significance of having 10 people? 

I went back and re-read this. In the context he said it he was counting 7- Lift, Szeth, Dalinar, Jasnah, Renarin, Kaladin and Shallan. Then Ash and Taln making it 9. I know there is a lot of speculation that Ash will become a Dustbringer but I see no evidence this has happened or should even be suspected in-world so that leaves two missing Orders Willshapers and Dustbringers.  I know Venli is probably a Willshaper but I think the bond happens after this scene plus in the context I do not think he’s including her regardless. So the 10 was not orders unless I’m missing something.

20 minutes ago, Fulminato said:

young dalinar was a monster, he laid waste in his wake long before the rift part 2, the burning.

and the end of the world his here, if the storming assasin in white want fight for you...

Well of course I want him to fight he’s awesome! But he didn't try to assasinate my nephew or myself and try to kill the captain of my personal guard. I think it’s awesome that Szeth chose his oath to Dalinar and maybe Dalinar can sense the truth in it or something I don’t know. 

Edited by StormingTexan

I’ve needed a couple days to process that glorious monstrosity of a book.

It’s the greatest book Brandon’s ever written, and one of the greatest of all time.

Better than WoR and WoK.  As a comp to the only series I consider equivalent, WoT, I’d say the first three books of that series went TEotW>TGH>TDR (1st>2nd>3rd) while for Stormlight I’d say OB>WoR>TWoK.  However for WoT, Jordan’s 4th and 5th of the series were two of the three best, both series wise and all time wise.  Will be VERY interesting to see how SA compares going forward, but as of now I’d say SA is on track to top it.

Lift

Lift is one of my favorite characters ever, and fast approaching the top 2 Cosmere characters, currently held by the two Mistborn mains.

I LOVE that we don’t have to wait until the back 5 to get more Lift.  She’s in the main story far earlier than I thought she’d be, and Edgedancer is basically required reading at this point.

She first met with Dalinar and talked about butts.  Then she stole his dinner.  Then she convinced the emperor to be reasonable, then she stayed behind to be Awesome in the final battle.

Oh, and her personality IMPRINTED ON NIGHTBLOOD.  Every quote, every interaction with her is fantastic, and I want a book of her interacting with every main and minor character in their everyday lives.

Why oh why was the eating contest between her and Rock off screen?  That needs to be a Novella.  Can you imagine Lift being adopted into Rock’s family?  I can, and it would be the greatest thing ever.

Loved the little quote how she was ‘fairly certain’ Wyndle was not a Voidbringer anymore.  Loved her asking Dalinar, in the midst of an epic battle, if he had any food.  Loved that she is MAKING FRIENDS WITH NIGHTBLOOD.

And something very important I haven’t seen talked about, Lift saw a Voidbringer doing ‘professional’ Edgedancing (on their feet and graceful) and tries to imitate it, realizing she can’t ‘be a kid’ and win.  Huge moment, both for her and for showing us just how awesome Edgedancing can be.

You guys can mock my ‘Lift eats Vasher’s Divine Breath and becomes Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift wielding Nightblood’ all you want, but it’s happening.  Cultivation foresight + Endowment foresight = that.

Kaladin

Speaking of favorite Cosmere characters, Kaladin rounds out the top 4.  Tons of great growth in this book, and as much as I was ready to leap into the air with joy when he said his 4th oath, I was glad he didn’t.  Worked better for the story and his character.

I still think Kal’s being set up to be the main hero and probable final, noble sacrifice of the first 5 books, but I don’t think that will be the end of him.  (More on that later.)

Oh, and he HAS A BABY BROTHER NOW.  I don’t want to touch on much of the part 1 stuff here, just because I feel like that has been covered fully with the pre-release chapters, but I felt the need to mention that again.  Hopefully Lirin becomes a major player too, would love to see his and Kal’s interactions in the future, especially as Kal becomes the main ‘not all Parsh are evil’ character.

Szeth and Nightblood

SZETH PLAYED DODGEBALL!!!

In. The. Air.

I can stop right there but I won’t.  The interaction between these two were great, and after thinking I would not like the Skybreakers, I really like what we saw of them.  I’m not entirely sure I buy that they could have kept themselves secret this whole time, but I guess when you have a mad Herald going about killing like he does, it’s not hard to cover up leaks.

I’m also not sure if I buy all the High Spren these Skybreakers are bonded to siding with Odium, but hopefully that becomes a plot point in the future, and I think it will.  For all we know, maybe the High Spren think it would be better if Odium won.  (I can think of a couple reasons for that to be the case.)

Regardless, great reintroduction to Szeth, Nightblood, and Nightblood’s abilities.

Also, SZETH PLAYED DODGEBALL!!!

Bridge Four

Rock’s POV chapter was my favorite in the entire book and one of my favorite things Brandon has ever written.  When he was hurt later in the story I almost lost it, thinking he might be dead.

Love that his family showed up and can’t wait to see more of them interacting with Rock and Bridge 4.

REALLY curious if Rock is on his way to Radianthood.  I’m not even sure if I want him to get a spren, or remain a non-magic character.

Lopen is the Lopen and fantastic in all things.  (Second in command.  Ha.)

Was terrified Skar and Drehy would either be killed after the main characters get teleported to Shadesmar or somehow corrupted by the Parsh.  Happy to see that didn’t happen, unless there are serious shenanigans going on.  (Wouldn’t put it past Brandon.)

I was lukewarm to Teft in the beginning in OB, I think because I expected his problems to have greater implications than just personal problems, but once I came to grips with that, I enjoyed his scenes.

All in all, I would read an entire novel about the everyday lives of Bridge 4.  One of them being in danger hurts more than most main characters.

Shallan

Something I haven’t seen talked about much is how the revelation at the end of WoR COMPLETELY changed Shallan, and it was done in such an incredible way.

Story wise, the revelation was not glossed over and had a huge impact, and led Shallan on a fascination path of multiple personalities.  Before the marriage, it really seemed like she may have been on the path to losing Pattern because she became so lost in herself.

Despite her current happiness, I see dark things ahead for her character.  Ghostbloods+her brothers finally arriving+mental problems+being married to the happiest, upbeat character in the series?

Yeah, I’m very excited to see what the endgame for her is.

(Crackpot theory:  She never actually solves her multiple personality problem, and thus becomes the perfect candidate to pick up Odium.  It’s all about Intent and how you see things, to a degree right?  Well one of her personalities ‘picks up’ Odium, and the others help keep her in check.  Like I said, not going to happen, but fun to think about.)

Dalinar

What a damnation good arc.

I wasn’t as horrified as some here were about the Rift, I guess because I kind of expected worse, and we knew something utterly terrible happened to begin with.  But all of his flashbacks were great, as was his main story.  Truly felt for him at all places, and oh man that battle with Odium.  I really thought he was gonna turn.

The question is what exactly happened to him at the end?  In story someone used capital ‘A’ Ascended, but there’s no way he Mistborn level Ascended.  (I think.)

I like the theory that he said all the Bondsmith oaths in succession rapid fire at the end.  That would help explain a lot.

As Shallan changed significantly because of her WoR truth, I hope a similar change occurs to Dalinar in book 4.  (But on a more positive level this time.)

Adolin

I want him to revive his blade so badly.

But I want him to stay as a non-magic character so badly.

But I want Lift to teach him to slide around on his butt so badly.

But I love how he’s the best at being the ‘normal’ superhero in a world increasing not normal.

But Lift! 

Gah!

For the longest time I thought Adolin would die, especially because I believe Brandon has said Adolin was never meant to be a major character, but damnation I love his happiness, upbeat attitude and how he handles most situations.

He’s the perfect foil narrative wise for all the Radiants popping up.

So compromise.

He revives his blade, makes friends with and can talk to Maya, but doesn’t get powers because he is not sufficiently broken.  (True or not just role with it for now.)  Then, when something dark happens to Shallan because that’s almost certainly going to happen, it and THE resulting impacts finally cause the cracks in his soul required for Maya to fully bond.

There, problem solved :)

Jasnah

Did you read that utter domination?

I mean all of it.

Basically every scene she’s in, but especially the part 5 battle, and verbally crushing and utterly smoking Amaram.

Jasnah was a character, who coming in to OB, I didn’t really get the hype for.  She’d done essentially nothing that interested me.

And now she is one of my favorites.  She makes Soulcasting seem like far and away the best Surge.  (And now Wit has unlimited Investiture Soulcasting…think about that.)

Queen Jasnah will be fascinating.  She will put up with exactly ZERO politicking and general bs.

Cosmere Implications

Oh boy.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Stormlight is not as standalone as Brandon originally said.  It truly looks like it’s going to be a major turning point Cosmere wide, and it would have been weird for that to happen without outside SA forces present.

Azure was great.  I was disappointed in myself for not recognizing her until the color statement.  Can’t wait to see what Vasher did to tick her off and what’s up with Nightblood 2.0.

I really think Endowment and Cultivation are working together in some way.  Perhaps unknowingly, but they’re both trying to take out Odium.

Speaking of Odium, damnation!  Not a one dimensional villain at all.  Here’s to hoping we get more screentime for him outside of battle scenes.

And speaking of battle scenes, what happened in this book was a lot of what I thought it would take the whole first 5 to get too.  Talk about exceeding expectations and leaving a ton of mystery for both books 4 and 5 and the SA as a whole.

What was missing?

Really only two things.

The Recreance felt weak.  Maybe we Sharders speculated too hard, but that revelation would have cause the KR of old to kill their spren?  We're talking relationships that were probably greater and longer than Kaladin/Syl, and ALL OF THEM shattered that relationship just because of that revelation?  Not buying it.  There's more there than what we've been told.

I still think it has something to do with the Nahel Bond imitating the Oathpact upon death, and leading to Braize.  We know (I think) there's something wrong with the Roshar afterlife.  (I still think Kaladin dies in book 5, but remains in the back 5 books as the major afterlife POV.)  

The other was a scene or two with Szeth and the other characters who spent two books in utter fear and/or hatred of him.  I get in the midst of an epic apocalyptic battle you're not going to question the Assassin in White mysteriously coming back from the dead and fighting for your side.  But if not at the end of OB, then in the beginning of book 4 we need at least some Dalinar/Navani/Kaladin interaction with him.

Oh, and I would remiss if I did not mention…

Taln and Ash

When I first heard these two would be getting back 5 books I was a little disappointed.

HA!

Was I wrong.  Taln is the man and I loved Ash’s POV’s, despite the small amount.  Hopefully they too become big players in the front 5, instead of having to wait until the back.

Wit

Loved the Shallan scenes that humanized him.

And as mentioned…he can Soulcast now.  Combine that with his other Investitures and what we know about combining Investiture sources…I’m pretty sure he now has unlimited Soulcasting.

That seems…powerful.  Absurdly so.

There is so much more I can write about because damnation this book had so much depth, but for now that's enough.

*Begins formalizing Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift with Nightblood theory*

14 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Well of course I want him to fight he’s awesome! But he didn't try to assasinate my nephew or myself and try to kill the captain of my personal guard. I think it’s awesome that Szeth chose his oath to Dalinar and maybe Dalinar can sense the truth in it or something I don’t know. 

szeth is a man of honor, he speak of his 'condition' (truthless) a couple of time to kaladin and dalinar, and I suppose navani and her scholar had digging in the shin culture to learn about this thing.

obvs i hope in the next book the fact will be analized in detail. but for the end of this book i think si fine.

Edited by Fulminato

So I can be a little dense sometimes picking up subtle things but was Ash destroying art depicting her because of her guilt of sending Taln to uphold the Oathpact himself? Like she didn’t want herself to be seen as someone to worship?

Also regarding Taln what was Brandon’s comments about him possible not being the person he claimed to be all about? It seems pretty apparent from Ash that he is Taln... Did I miss something or are we just not know enough about him yet? Btw his one coherent line was amazing. I really want to undestand why he wasn’t supposed to be a Herald.

Just now, StormingTexan said:

So I can be a little dense sometimes picking up subtle things but was Ash destroying art depicting her because of her guilt of sending Taln to uphold the Oathpact himself? Like she didn’t want herself to be seen as someone to worship?

Also regarding Taln what was Brandon’s comments about him possible not being the person he claimed to be all about? It seems pretty apparent from Ash that he is Taln... Did I miss something or are we just not know enough about him yet? Btw his one coherent line was amazing. I really want to undestand why he wasn’t supposed to be a Herald.

On Ash, yes.  I believe it was both guilt on abandoning Taln and abandoning the Oathpact in general.  She felt she was not worthy of being worshiped. 

Brandon's comments on Taln were almost certainly a means of poking fun at us Sharders/superfans to keep us guessing.  I love that he does little things like that.

11 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

Haha same, Jasnah was far better at dealing with the Fused than Szeth and Kaladin. I wonder what Elsecaller squires are capable of. 

I suspect part of it is how much stormlight she had access to during the early part of that fight.  With an unlimited power budget I'm sure she's capable of some pretty incredible stuff.

because some true information need to be obscured to make some other information 'murky'. if we had rafo only for the correct answer it will be spoil all the future book.

25 minutes ago, ericth said:

I suspect part of it is how much stormlight she had access to during the early part of that fight.  With an unlimited power budget I'm sure she's capable of some pretty incredible stuff.

and the three realms are realy close, she can peek on shademar without cross the border of the phisical realm.

“Three worlds,” Ivory said. “Slowly splitting apart again, but for now, three realms are close.” “Then let’s make use of it before it fades, shall we?”

Edited by Fulminato