[OB] Part 2 Reactions

Chaos

28 minutes ago, maxal said:

Alright folks, it is time to start reviewing the book on a part by part basis. Before I do this, I need to issue a special thanks to @kari-no-sugata whom warned me in advance of what to expect (and what not to expect) for this book. I thus knew there would be little Adolin in part 2 which allowed me to read it with a relative peace of mind. And yeah before someone mentions it, did I mess Adolin? YES. Oh mighty yes, I missed having him around and I hated him being literally eviscerated from the narrative. 

So first, the interludes for Part 1 since I am not sure where I should review them, I figured here was safe enough. So what was not my surprise to read the names on this titled page: Puuli, Ellista and Venli. Whom the heck are Puuli and Ellista??? So Venli is our interlude novella? I would think so, but I do not know yet for sure. I really like the Ellista one. You really expect the ardent to be looking for a quiet place to do some real world, not to read some frilly romance novel. It was priceless, I absolutely love it. Ellista is now my favorite interlude character, I hope to see more of her. Good one with this one Brandon.

And now onto Part 2. So. I had previously made the following theories: Kaladin would skip Part 2 because we would get Bridge 4 to tell his story; Shallan would skip Part 2 because Jasnah would fill in. Turns out I was halfway right. Kaladin skips Part 2 to the profit of Bridge 4, but Jasnah has her viewpoints there.

The first thing I have noted is how Shallan is reluctantly falling back into the role of a ward was nice to read. I also appreciate how she finally acknowledge she has been resting while everyone else is working. I'll admit it has annoyed me how she cuddled into blankets with hot tea while everyone else was working through the aftermath of her encounter with Re-Shephir, so having Jasnah back definitely put this to a halt. Speaking of which, all the time Shallan was interacting with Jasnah I felt like screaming: "Who cares about this boring column, why aren't you tackling the important topics? How about shipping?". :ph34r:

I loved the subtle hints towards Jasnah's past.. a mysterious illness, a dark room... I am intrigued. I also wondered if people started shipping Kaladin and Jasnah more actively as they started yelling at each other? I thought their view of things were very opposed.

I wished we had the Navani/Jasnah reunion.

Sigzil was fine and interesting though I'll admit I did not like how Drehy being gay was handled. It felt like Ranette and I did not like how Ranette was handled.

Rock's chapter was.... long. Sorry. It isn't I didn't think his viewpoint was interesting I just thought it was... long. I liked the conversation he had with Renarin. The characterization was very good, but I sort of got bored with it before I reached the end. I loved how Rock got to tell Renarin how his problem is he may be what they say he is, but it doesn't have to be a flaw. I am glad Rock got his family back, but still it was a long chapter. It was great to see all of the Honorspren come and look for more Radiants. I really wonder why Rock didn't point out to Renarin how he's the Radiant, not Adolin. I miss Adolin.

I can't stand Lopen. Sorry. What an annoying character, I don't get his purpose.

Dalinar's visions never were my favorite parts of WoK, so having them being played again wasn't my favorite part of Part 2. Those chapters were often long even if they did contain interesting information down the road. I liked having the Desolation and the Heralds being explained into better details. Lift popping in was funny though she and Dalinar really wasn't the pairing I was hoping to see.

I loved the pregnant Evi chaper how it seemed, even if for a short while, that Dalinar was mellowing. I felt those years somehow were the quietest years of his life.

Dalinar hates dueling..........

At this point I missed Adolin too much so I snooped ahead in the book :ph34r: I found the Born Into Light chapter and I read it. Baby Adolin :D And Dalinar's reaction was just... amazing. For a few moments, he was willing to give up a life of warfare to be with his newborn child. He gave him a grand name and the minute he was born, Adolin had to fulfill Dalinar's broken dreams, to be the one who never fails. Born into Light. That's quite the name. The whole time I was reading this chapter, all I could think of was the Lion King :ph34r: Adolin is Simba, Dalinar is Mustafe and Gavilar is evil Skar :ph34r: It just fit with Dalinar brandishing his new born son into his hands. I was really pleased Brandon gave us this scene.

And since I kept on missing Adolin, I went on and read the After His Father chapter... So did I love child Adolin? Of course. He was so adorable :wub: Evil flying chulls will remain one of my favorite quote :wub:  Little Adolin is energetic, imaginative, creative (build himself an armor) and invents stories for himself: exactly how I always pictured him. What hit me in this chapter is how Dalinar hasn't been around. He never even bothered to meet Renarin, he did not bother to name him and he did not also bother to come and visit Adolin. The boy did not even remember his father and was scared of him though I loved how Adolin said he would win his own Blade, someday even if Dalinar warns him it is OK to need help, sometimes. I wondered if Adolin would learn the lesson, someday.

Dalinar sound like he became a crap husband as Gavilar dragged him into battle once again, hence making Gavilar evil Skar once again.

Then I went back to the the sequential story...

I grew frustrated over some parts of the story... I did not like the Teft's perspective. Well, it isn't I did not like it, it was more I did not like what it implies. My perspective has always been Radiants were chosen based on their qualities more than their level of brokenness, but with Teft I felt the "spren" trailing him chose him because of his broken state or so it felt to me. I did not like this. He is a pathetic drug addict so the idea he might have bonded a spren before actually managing to drag himself out of it really put a wedge into my Radiant beliefs. So yeah, a bad chapter.

Then I missed Adolin again. Come on Brandon. Stop treating Adolin as if he were an interlude character, give him some perspective. Sorry. So I went and re-read the After His Father chapter to feel better :ph34r:

On the other hand, I really liked the Skar chapter and I was disappointed when he started to glow. I liked him being ordinary. I liked his backstory and I wanted him not to be broken, but overall a very good chapter. I hope his character pops back in at other times.

The flying testing chapters were interesting but this is when I started to feel like the story was dragging a little bit. And why isn't Adolin practicing flying with them? Did I say I miss Adolin? Really Brandon? I also grew really worried about Shallan flying away with Kaladin... I just want them to get to Kholinar already :ph34r:

After reading the After His Father chapter yet again, I kept on reading :ph34r:

The interaction in between Jasnah and Amaram was brilliant and priceless. She is considering assassinating him shall he proved too troublesome: she would have totally gotten Sadeas killed had she been around. This gives me the inkling there will be no downfall for Adolin: Jasnah will merely argue it had to be done and everyone will agree with her.

Odium... Am I odd if I say I like him? The Shard of Passion not of just hatred. I loved how he said he hated Honor because those trying too hard to maintain a reputation always had something to add. Like Amaram. Adolin said almost these exact words and that may be the first time I stumble on an argument in favor of him becoming Odium's pawn. I am thinking it is the balance in between all Shards which makes life possible, remove one and you have chaos, including Odium.

I am not sure what is the purpose of Moash... If it is to join with the Fused, then fine, this will be interesting but if it is to have him become a new Windrunner as he starts to train Kaladin's former Parshmen then I am ambivalent about it. I really didn't get why I was reading him, not my favorite POV. I thus named him Kaladin 2.0 because this is how he reads to me.

The Rlain chapter was really good. When he looks at Bridge 4 and sees a whole group of people complaining on how they do not fit and yet having no idea what it means to really, really NOT fit, it broke my heart. Yeah, I felt for him. He lost his people. He is the last one and no one can relate.

Now the interludes... I guess the Kaza one had interesting information, but I rushed through it because I wanted the rest of the story. Taravangian was interesting: he is plotting to undermine Dalinar. He is not to be trusted. Looks like Venli got the bad side of the deal.... and still no Eshonai? I didn't think was was dead-dead early on.

So that's it for Part 2 review. Next, I will do my Part 3 review. And yeah for those wondering, I did finish the book. Lot's of things to discuss, but let's do it within the proper order.

Oh Maxal. Never change. 

6 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Oh man.. I can respect other people’s opinions except when someone says they didn’t like Rock’s chapter..

It isn't I didn't like it, I just thought it was a bit long and it got boring for a while. In order of preference, my Bridge 4 chapters were the following: Skar, Rlain, Sigzil, Rock, Teft and Moash. 

16 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

I.....greatly dislike this reveal. He isn't really "Odium"

He is "Passion" but called Odium because it sounds cooler?

I can't say, but this is how I interpret it when I read this chapter.

Edited by maxal

20 minutes ago, maxal said:

t isn't I didn't like it, I just thought it was a bit long and it got boring for a while. In order of preference, my Bridge 4 chapters were the following: Skar, Rlain, Sigzil, Rock, Teft and Moash. 

Ok fair enough although I disagree about Rock. Also Lopen He’s SA’s Wayne. 

Edited by StormingTexan

7 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

This really does beg the question: Is he Odium/Divine Hatred because of the Shard itself, or is that the way Rayse is channeling it? I think it is entirely plausible that it is the second. I don't think the shards come with lists of ingredients. If you have only seen the shard with one person, it might be hard to tell which is the shard, and which is the vessel. 

*quiet weeping everytime people use 'beg the question' this way...*

Haha, j/k. I agree with you that it's plausible--I don't think we know enough to say for sure yet. Dalinar's experience with Odium seems to suggest that Odium does contain a lot of passion, but also a great deal of hatred. I'm a bit sketchy on how much control Rayse gets, because my impression was that he's been carrying the Shard for a long time, and isn't the Shard's Intent supposed to overwhelm him at some point? (Like it did Tanavast and certain other Shards we know of.) 

I mean, if Odium was really Passion, then why isn't Rayse turning Roshar into a R-21 world? :P (I agree one answer could be Rayse's focus. I just get a nagging feeling we haven't seen the full story yet, since I don't find Dalinar's interactions with Odium super-convincing. Odium wanted to recruit Dalinar, meaning he was all about the PR.)

On 11/14/2017 at 10:35 AM, Starla said:

I didn't try to figure out the epigraphs. Are you guys saying that Harmony wrote it?

This Epigraph was almost certainly written by Harmony:

Friend,

Your letter is most intriguing, even revelatory. I would have thought, before attaining my current station, that a deity could not be surprised. Obviously, this is not true. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think. I am the least equipped, of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the most simple of actions can be difficult. I am also made uncertain by your subterfuge. Why have you not made yourself known to me before this? How is it you can hide? Who are you truly, and how do you know so much about Adonalsium? If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your quest.

I really like Lyn. Does anyone remember that she was a character Brandon made for a fan who wanted to fight alongside Kaladin Stormblessed? (Not sure where the original post went). She appeared at the end of WoR but is getting an even bigger part here. I'm so happy for whoever Lyn was based off of, they must be ecstatic.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, Kered said:

I don't think we could've asked for a better introduction to Odium. Many of us had the notion that while he may not be incoherently angry, he would at least appear to sometimes have sudden mood shifts. 

Nope. 

Just a kind old man, lulling Dalinar out of his preconceived notions and sounding rational, then BOOM. Eternal hate fire. Then he basically says "Ops, my b D-man, accidentally let the tiger off the leash". 

Odium is going to be the villain we all hoped for. Cool, calm, collected and absolutely to the core, evil.   

I just want to say that I love this summary of the Odium meeting. Is it too early to say that Odium is the true Chris Brown of Shards?

I finished Part Two last night. I haven't really be able to dive into Oathbringer because of school and AP homework, but now it's Thanksgiving break, and I can finally do some heavy reading! 

Wow. This part was EPIC. The only thing that I missed were Kaladin POVs (because Kal is my main man and I can never get enough of him), but the Bridge Four POVs really made up for the loss. I teared up during the Teft chapter. I found it heartbreaking, especially because Teft has always been one of my favorite bridgemen. The Sigzil chapter was great too. Never knew how much I liked that guy. And then the Rock chapter was really heartwarming. His conversation with Renarin was beautiful and gave some insight into Renarin's internal conflicts. 

I loved the Jasnah chapters and was left with so many questions. I think that we'll end up discovering some interesting things about her past. Ivory seemed really asethically cool, and his personality was so perfect for Jasnah. Also, WHAT DID WIT TELL JASNAH?!?!?!?!?!?! Uggggg, BS really teased me there. 

LIIIIIIIIIIFT. Someone above said something about her "hacking" the visions. This was a perfect way to describe her entrance into Oathbringer! Her comments about Dalinar were hilarious. Can't wait to read more interactions between those two. 

Though Shallan herself is kinda disturbing me so far, any chapter that she's operating under her Veil persona is great. I like this little "team" that she's assembling. I hope they get some action in Kholinar. 

The Dalinar flashbacks continue to impress me. BS is masterful in the way that he's simultaneously developing Dalinar of the past and present. Dalinar is my second favorite character (behind Kaladin), so while seeing the monster that he was in the past is troubling, it also highlights the extent of his transformation into what he is now. 

Last but certainly not least, ODIUM.

Never saw this coming so soon, but man was it great. Odium is nothing like I expected; BS really blew me away with some of the dialogue in that last chapter. Odium seems like he's going to be a great villain. I really liked how he thinks of himself as the "Shard of Emotions". Odium also plays perfectly into Dalinar's conflicts and echos the flashbacks. Definitely going to be one of my favorite Cosmere villains. He may already be, just from that one chapter. 

Overall, awesome part. Even though Part One was a nice introduction, Part Two blew it out of the water. I'm hyped for the second half of this book, and I'm ready for some more Kaladin! 

On 11/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, maxal said:

YES. Oh mighty yes, I missed having him around and I hated him being literally eviscerated from the narrative. 

I miss Adolin.

At this point I missed Adolin too much so I snooped ahead in the book :ph34r: I found the Born Into Light chapter and I read it. Baby Adolin :D And Dalinar's reaction was just... amazing. For a few moments, he was willing to give up a life of warfare to be with his newborn child. He gave him a grand name and the minute he was born, Adolin had to fulfill Dalinar's broken dreams, to be the one who never fails. Born into Light. That's quite the name. The whole time I was reading this chapter, all I could think of was the Lion King :ph34r: Adolin is Simba, Dalinar is Mustafe and Gavilar is evil Skar :ph34r: It just fit with Dalinar brandishing his new born son into his hands. I was really pleased Brandon gave us this scene.

And since I kept on missing Adolin, I went on and read the After His Father chapter... So did I love child Adolin? Of course. He was so adorable :wub: Evil flying chulls will remain one of my favorite quote :wub:  Little Adolin is energetic, imaginative, creative (build himself an armor) and invents stories for himself: exactly how I always pictured him. What hit me in this chapter is how Dalinar hasn't been around. He never even bothered to meet Renarin, he did not bother to name him and he did not also bother to come and visit Adolin. The boy did not even remember his father and was scared of him though I loved how Adolin said he would win his own Blade, someday even if Dalinar warns him it is OK to need help, sometimes. I wondered if Adolin would learn the lesson, someday.

I can I say how much I agree with you about missing Adolin.  He’s my favorite character and he really should have a viewpoint in every part, but if not at least show up a lot.  I mean Shallan should have interacted with him more.  Shallan does like him, even if Veil doesn’t, which she just needs to go away if she is going to interfere with Shallan and Adolin.  I really wanted to see more of Adolin teaching Shallan how to use her shardblade.

Okay and I agree with you that I loved the baby Adolin scene.  I love the name and Dalinar is so cute.  I also looked ahead and found this scene and I could not wait to get there.  

Now onto other sections of part two:

Not to mention the lack of Adolin, but the lack of Syl was also sad.  She’s my second favorite and she only was in Rock’s chapter and then not even that much.  I got spoiled by having her around all the time. :)

I did love the bridge four chapters.  I love them all.  I know I saw someone say they didn’t like Lopen.  I feel that; I don’t hate him, but I could do without.  Out of the bridgemen, I love Sigzil the most, other than Kaladin.

I sometimes gets annoyed at Lift.  Although she seems to be growing on me, maybe that’s just her surgebinding.

I like that Shallan is connecting with Renarin, not in a romantic way, let that be said.  I did laugh when Renarin said, “Defending my honor.  When Adolin does that, someone usually get stabbed.”  Oh Adolin, I love that you defend Renarin, but the way you do it is so funny.

When Dalinar had that little run in with Odium, I lied down, and started going crazy. I was just laying there, going 'holy crap, holy crap, holy crap.' Then I started reading again.

:D

Also, I love Renarin.

Edited by Tesh

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished part two. Here's some reactions before I move on to the next part.

• So... Eshonai is dead. Hrm. I actually liked her, and I'm not sure about reading Venli instead. I don't like how her death was off screen like that. I do want to know what that comet spren is.
  • Huh, an explanation of the Oathpact and what the Fused are. That's nice to know. Poor Taln.
  • Ooh, Odium! Passion. That's interesting. I wonder if that relates to the Thaylen Passions. I also wonder if that description of the Shard is any more accurate, or if he's being purposefully misleading here. It sounds like he's claiming to be the patron of emotions, or at least intense ones, and that reminds me of how normal spren are in two categories--emotion spren and nature spren--and how we thought the emotion spren were from Honor and the nature spren were from Cultivation. And those are some of my disorganized thoughts. Moving on...
  • Lift is invading Dalinar's visions. :P It looks like that part of the interludes is reaching the main narrative now. 
  • Also, LETTER FROM HARMONY! :D That just makes me happy, even though it wasn't very long. Also letters from other Shards? I wonder what meanings all the people here on the Shard have already pulled from them.
  • I LOVE Jasnah.
  • There were some great moments in the Bridge Four chapters, but some of them seemed a bit long. I REALLY like Rlain and want to see more of him. Also, was that an honorspren following Teft already?
  • I'm not sure how I feel about Moash. I think I would have been more interested in seeing more of the Diagramists than the parshmen, but it's probably better that his story is connecting with where Kaladin's left off in Alethkar. I'm just not sure where he's going in the story, and I'm not really connecting to his character.
  • Sometimes Dalinar's flashbacks make me need to look at the Coppermind to see if the characters he is around were mentioned in the previous books... and hope their pages don't have spoilers for later in the book.
  • What's up with Renarin and his spren? I wish we had a viewpoint from him.
  • Umm, Shallan. She... reminds me of myself a bit too much sometimes, unfortunately.

• ODIUM/PASSION. YES. SO COOL. SO SCARY. I LIKE HIM. It makes more sense to me than a shard incorporating just one emotion. He is actually an entire aspect, which seems about right. Solely hatred for a shard seemed a bit flat. He hasn't really been referred to in regards to any positive strong emotion yet, so I suppose hatred and anger and lust for blood is all we have on his name so far. I wonder is he even involved with "positive passions", or was that just him trying to put himself in a better light in front of Dalinar?
  • Oh my god Dalinar, you can't just challenge a shard like that, sit down.
  • Seeing as the Thaylen revere both the Passions and the Vorin teachings, they seem to be a pretty balanced people religiously I guess?
  • Jasnah losing her cool and laying into Amaram, threatening him, and then calling herself out on insulting his mom was a really good part. I enjoy seeing Jasnah's extreme/angry side. She is usually so composed and controlled, it's interesting to see this contrast of her losing her temper and then berating herself for it.
  • So did Hoid send out a chain letter to all the other Shards? Did he just like ... copy/paste it to everyone to see who would respond? How did he send this anyway?
  • REALLY intrigued by this Obrodai shardholder(?). When I read "Obrodai" I knew I've read the name before. But where? I can't remember and I'm too scared of spoilers to check the Coppermind yet.
  • Really happy to see Harmony respond. He seems blissfully confused.

• 4 weeks later...

First time I post. Part 2 was so good I had to comment.

I couldn't believe how much information was there. The Heralds, the Oathpact...

Bridge Four povs were great. Almost cried when Lyn and Skar absorbed Stormlight.

It was past 3 in the morning and I thought "ok, now I better go to sleep." Then I see the next page and it's a Rlain pov. Then I finish his chapter and I see there is one with another vision. Maybe Lift will be there, better check. Then I finish it and it's Odium... I'm glad I'm on vacation.

I hope there will be another meeting with the Radiants. And Lift. And Amaram, Ialai Sadeas... bring everyone! Then lock the door and let Lift explain to them what she thinks about safehands and everyone having something up there. lol

Edit: Those pictures of the Heralds inside the cover! WOW.

Edited by Scourgebinder

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 0:18 PM, Daishi5 said:

Just Stream of thought replies as I was reading because I had to get them down.

• I am almost crying about their last time carrying bridge 4.
  • Rock's Family!
  • Squire Training!
  • Oh, by the way, here is everything you need to know about the oathpact, desolations, voidbringers and the everstorm.  Please take notes.
  • Jasnah, would you like some Zyclon-b showers, or do you want to go with the more up close and personal methods
  • Awww, Jasnah tries to be kind and understanding, like a cuddly crab.
  • Wow, I can't believe I didn't make the connection between Helaran joining the skybreakers, who investigate and often kill budding radiants, and Shallans mother who wanted to kill her for being a budding radiant.
  • Veil even THINKS shallan has issues, this is sure to turn out healthy.
  • Gaz and Shallan, scarecrow and Mrs. King
  • Oh crap, Teft is the addict, and it’s the hard stuff.  Opium den, yay this will go well.
  • LIFT!!!  In the DREAM, OMG OMG OMG  EVEN THE STORMFATHER IS SURPRISED BY HER, all capital letters do not do my joy justice.
  • …Moash…
  • Jasnah you suck as a mentor, but you know it.  Unfortunately you just don't know how much help your ward needs.
  • DAWWW daddy came to the meeting
  • Skar and Lyn, yay for Skar
  • Jasnah
  • The Honorspren tried to rule the others, interesting.
  • Jasnah and Amaram.  Somehow Amaram manages to make himself look even worse than before. 
  • Shallan pretty much squeed watching amaram get threatened.  I wish her future was going to be easier than I know it will be.
  • Poor Rlain
  • Oh great, the feeling of warmth and happiness was Odium and he can come to Dalinar in his visions, this will end well.
  • Oh lift, even I wish you wouldn't change.

Scarecrow & Mrs. King!?! Wow just wow. You're amazing! 

smk_5554.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

On 15 November 2017 at 5:59 PM, StormingTexan said:

Sorry for the double post. He was described by Dalinar as looking Shin but I am not convinced on this yet but I can see the correlation. 

It could just mean that Rayse wasn't from Roshar. Remember that anyone without the epicanthic fold looks Shin to Rosharans. 

On 15 November 2017 at 6:12 PM, Govir said:

I don't think they were a thing so much as Amaram wanted them to be a thing (and maybe Gavilar was pushing it too, because of Sons of Honor). I didn't get the feeling that Jasnah ever gave him the time of day. Something like kind of an arranged marriage that Jasnah didn't have a say in, but maybe not as advanced as that.

In Jasnah's prologue theres a bit about Gavilar wanting them to be a couple. 

On 15 November 2017 at 11:43 PM, StormingTexan said:

Oh dang one thing I forgot the Airships! Be on the look out for Cid people. 

Yesssss Navanis making airships!

On 16 November 2017 at 0:33 AM, Govir said:

I don't think the Mother Spren was Cultivation because Syl calls her Phendorana, which is not a name I've heard before.

It could turn out to be another name for Cultivation, but I don't think it will be. Not sure what she is though. My crazy theory without any real proof I will put behind a Cosmere spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

I think it may be a pre-Recreance Knight Radiant (specifically a Windrunner) who died and is now a Cognitive Shadow. Based on Mistborn Secret History, we know that people who hold / use a lot of Investiture last longer in the Cognitive Realm when they die. Allomancers don't really "hold" Investiture so much as quickly let it pass through them (i.e. they don't use a lot, but still linger noticeably). Compared to Knights Radiants who hold onto the Stormlight for extended periods of time. This could cause them to linger after death, perhaps even be trapped on Braize like the ancient Parshendi are (although that conflicts with how Syl would know this one)..

This could also explain the doctrine of Vorinism where warriors are thought to go fight for the Tranquiline Halls. It could have morphed from the fact that KRs become Cognitive Shadows when they die, and have to continue the fighting for eternity. (Didn't the Stormfather mention the same secret that caused the Recreance also caused the Hierocracy? I can't find the quote right now.)

When was she called Phendorana? When was the Mother Spren mentioned?

On 16 November 2017 at 9:21 AM, Sunbird said:

I'm seriously wondering if we might see her again outside of flashbacks. Brandon's stated that Eshonai is a viewpoint character who will get her own book, amirite? I know he said he was done with the death fakeouts for Stormlight after what happened with Jasnah and Szeth, but given what we're learning about the Parshendi and the Fused, maybe she will become a Cognitive Shadow or something? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its been confirmed that a character does not have to be alive in their flashback book. 

On 16 November 2017 at 10:01 AM, TheGoddessBeyond said:

SO MUCH GOODNESS! First and foremost, I am soooo happy for the support group that is Bridge Four.

Also, anyone else pick out the etymology of Kaladin's name?

-in = born unto (From Dalinar's flashback chapters where Adolin and Renarin are named.)

Kalad = eternal (from the page of glyph translations. The first part of ever storm.)

So, Kaladin is "born unto eternity"?

Oooh thats cool!

On 16 November 2017 at 5:52 PM, StormingTexan said:

According to him he’s Passion. 

Bet its related to the Thaylen Passions

On 18 November 2017 at 10:10 AM, Kasimir said:

It threw me too, though one of the earlier WoR epigraphs says this of Rayse: "He bears the weight of God’s own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context." It sounds a lot like hatred--after all, one might think that passion, too, might count as a virtue that gives hatred context. But I suppose this could really equally refer to some other virtues like temperance, moderation, patience, empathy etcetera that might contextualise passion.

Still--Airsick Lowlander Second Class! This book is full of quotes I want icons of, already...

On 20 November 2017 at 1:11 AM, MasterJack said:

My thoughts:

• Shallan's identity crisis is really worrying me
  • Jasnah's a boss, although a little heartless, :mellow:
  • Bridge four was great! Wonderful choice to do some Bridge 4 POV's
  • Moash, not going where I expected him too, and I'm loving how he's finally seeing where he went wrong
  • Dalinar's flashbacks continue, and Adolin attempts to slay his first chull, as Renarin is being 'born unto himself' just fantastic
  • Renarin continues to talk to himself
  • Vibrating gemstones contain lost information in hidden compartments in the walls, YES!!!
  • Rock's family has arrived, :D And Teft is a drugee, :angry:

Looking forward to part 3 ya'll

Shallan is really worrying me too. 

Edited by Del-light-full

On 2/11/2018 at 6:50 AM, Del-light-full said:

In Jasnah's prologue theres a bit about Gavilar wanting them to be a couple.

While that may be correct, my point was that Jasnah never wanted it. Gavilar and Amaram wanted it, and may have pressed the issue, but I don't think Jasnah was ever willing (i.e. she's always seen through Amaram).

• 3 months later...

First at all, sorry for my bad english...

I just read the second part and I have 2 questions....

1st. I guess that Cultivation is NightWatcher? (Vigilante Nocturna in spanish, who concede u a wish and a curse at the same time) 

2nd this question is about the first chapter in te interludes and I mencioned a situation of Edgdancer

Spoiler

Who is the cremling woman? Any idea or theory? Is the same “race” that who appears on Edgedancer?

And about the second book I like it. When do you think that BS will enlight you, fill up your head with more questions... i dont know if this is good or bad for my brain jaja I love Jasnah a little more and is difficult to me the Shallan chapters... I dont like at all the personalities changes, however i think that this trame will be very interesting in the future...

Thanks!

On 31/05/2018 at 7:12 PM, Rand al’Thorres said:

I guess that Cultivation is NightWatcher? 

I think this is made a bit more clear later in the novel.  They're definitely closely related.

On 31/05/2018 at 7:12 PM, Rand al’Thorres said:

2nd this question is about the first chapter in te interludes and I mencioned a situation of Edgdancer

Those are Aimians, the one you're talking about is a Dysian Aimian https://coppermind.net/wiki/Aimia#Aimian_Races

Edited by Journey Before Pancakes

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Chaos locked this topic