Shardclippers, Shardshears, Shardrazors

Quickbronze

I’m thinking about the superconvenience or inconvenience of this, just because you could get cut real easy—and then, to cut the hair for real, you may accidentally shear off some skin.

Morbidity aside, I’m just thinking that it would be hard to cut hair without the resistance and springiness of flesh to press razors against; if they just go right through...wait, that was still morbid.

Well, I’ve never shaved because right when I started growing a mustasche, it became No Shave November. I assume though that razors need to press against the skin for a good cut. Shardrazors would have to have good, rounded edges next to the blade, I’m guessing; regular razors don’t have that, I think

Lots of hedging up above, definitely.

3 hours ago, Walin said:

I’m thinking about the superconvenience or inconvenience of this, just because you could get cut real easy—and then, to cut the hair for real, you may accidentally shear off some skin.

Morbidity aside, I’m just thinking that it would be hard to cut hair without the resistance and springiness of flesh to press razors against; if they just go right through...wait, that was still morbid.

Well Kaladin proved that he can heal shardblade wounds. And with this topic I want to bring something up. Kaladin could legitimatley cut off his slave brands and heal it with literally no scars or consequences except a little pain. WHY HASN"T HE YET.

1 minute ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

Your sig says

I broke into my brother's account and changed his sig. Don't tell him. He's primarily on mobile, and will never see this

Thank you @Crimson Not Blood. I'll go talk with my siblings and see which one did this to me.

2 minutes ago, Blazenella said:

Well Kaladin proved that he can heal shardblade wounds. And with this topic I want to bring something up. Kaladin could legitimatley cut off his slave brands and heal it with literally no scars or consequences except a little pain. WHY HASN"T HE YET.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/218/#e6640

Questioner

Why can Stormlight heal Lopen's arm, but can't heal Kaladin's scars?

Brandon Sanderson

Because *photo pause* a lot of the healing in the Cosmere works on principles of expectation and how you envision yourself. 

Questioner

So Kaladin has accepted the scars.

Brandon Sanderson

Kaladin has accepted the scars, and Lopen never accepted the one arm. It's a good question, it's one I am hoping people will ask. [...] It's one of these ties when I built the magic systems that I wanted certain threads to run through them, so when I eventually have them being used in the same books, that there will be consistency among them, that so they won't feel like everything's just thrown together. So, for instance, the intention and expectation, for instance, in Warbreaker-- What you want to have happened influences what does happen, the expectation, the way you are thinking about things. Very important for most of the Cosmere magics.

I happen to disagree, I think a well made Razor would work Wonderfully. I too am a daily shaver. I however use an Electric Razor.. If can shield the blades, I.E. have some sort of Stand off, instead of place the razor directly against the skin, you could shave very accurately. It would be the best shave in the WORLD. You'd never feel it pulling your hair, and you would never ever have to sharpen and replace it. as long as you learned the proper angle, The angle would have to be discussed with your spren while you shave. I'm sure even a dead spren blade could do it, as long as you used the proper guard, but it would be unwieldy, because Dead spren blades cannot shrink as Pattern has done in WoR.

I'm sure syl can accommodate as well. What if Rock manages to bind a Spren, He would be the best Barber in Roshar!. But I do not think his soul is Broken enough, though he may have a dark secret behind his jovial attitude.

The real issue is the housing. We'd need to find a way to make a sturdy enough inset for the shardrazor to hold the blade at the right distance from the skin to achieve the perfect cut. Then it's about moderating your pressure. As long as you don't push too hard that you're forcing your skin past the 'safe zone' the housing for the blade makes, it should theoretically be the perfect razor. You don't need any pressure at all. Put it on your face and pull downward, being careful not to push your malleable skin into danger, and your hair will be trimmed off.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:07 AM, Knghtstlker said:

I happen to disagree, I think a well made Razor would work Wonderfully. I too am a daily shaver. I however use an Electric Razor.. If can shield the blades, I.E. have some sort of Stand off, instead of place the razor directly against the skin, you could shave very accurately. It would be the best shave in the WORLD. You'd never feel it pulling your hair, and you would never ever have to sharpen and replace it. as long as you learned the proper angle, The angle would have to be discussed with your spren while you shave. I'm sure even a dead spren blade could do it, as long as you used the proper guard, but it would be unwieldy, because Dead spren blades cannot shrink as Pattern has done in WoR.

I'm sure syl can accommodate as well. What if Rock manages to bind a Spren, He would be the best Barber in Roshar!. But I do not think his soul is Broken enough, though he may have a dark secret behind his jovial attitude.

With that said, I'd say any blade with a living spren could probably shrink or change to the right size, angle, etc. as you were moving the razor across your face.

So when they advertise this, there will be some TV announcer  saying something like:

"Talk to your spren to see if a Shardrazor is right for you"

Edited by Benjamin_Stormblessed

4 hours ago, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

"Talk to your spren to see is a Shardrazor is right for you"

Hah, very nice!

Yeah, between shardblades having non-cutting bits and how quickly the spren can change shape, you really could make a shardrazor that was perfectly safe to use. But you'd probably want stormlight handy just in case your spren decided to play a practical joke on you, or they got distracted.

Edited by Weltall

40 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Hah, very nice!

Yeah, between shardblades having non-cutting bits and how quickly the spren can change shape, you really could make a shardrazor that was perfectly safe to use. But you'd probably want stormlight handy just in case your spren decided to play a practical joke on you, or they got distracted.

Practical joke?

3 minutes ago, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

Could an honorspren like Syl even do something like that to Kaladin? or is it against her nature, or codes or something?

She plays pranks pretty regularly, and if she knows that Kaladin could actually heal the injury with some effort, maybe she could? Not that she would-it does seem to be at the very edge of what would be acceptable. Sure, their KR can heal the wound, but it's still actually wounding them.