Erunion

35 minutes ago, maxal said:

My husband just told me if I ever speak about my *cursed* book again, he will personally write to Brandon Sanderson himself claiming his writing is impacting his family life as he cannot stand me rant on how I haven't gotten the book, yet :ph34r: He also said I'd better not WHINE over how my *cursed* character's story arc is not up to my liking because he will personally take action and likely burn all of my books :ph34r: 

Nooooo! Not the familial embarrassment in front of Brandon! I went to Gen Con this year, and while I didn't go to any of his officially scheduled events, I raced to his booth to make sure I was able to sign my brother and myself up for his Thursday night magic draft. Unbeknownst to me, while I was busy drafting my cards and building my deck, my girlfriend and my sister had caught up with us. Patty, my girlfriend, isn't much of a reader, but Kelly has read through the original Mistborn trilogy. So at this point, all I've done is managed to get a bunch of selfies of me making crazily excited faces with Bradon right behind me, but I come to find out later that Patty has walked right up to Brandon and told him "my boyfriend talks about you and your books more than he talks about me." Then Kelly walks up to him "my brother has pretty much gotten our whole family into your books." I don't know any of this, I'm just trying to build a good deck because, storm it, I wanted my name in a future book (that was the prize.) 

Later on, my brother and I get our chance to play a game of two-headed giant against Brandon and Steve Argyle. We got thrashed so hard that Brandon actually tweeted about the game. (John, my brother, actually passed him one of the really big cards. John hadn't played in a very long time.)

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/898395191576416260

But while we were playing, John looks over at me and says "did you tell Brandon that he's your inspiration?" I went redder than Shallan hearing a dirty joke. In my head I started screaming play it cool John, this is BRANDON SANDERSON. I hadn't even realized that I had already been picked out of the crowd by Patty and Kelly. So John starts talking about the book I'm writing and how it's obvious that he can see Sanderson's influence on my writing and I'm trying not to dig a hole through the floor to hide in. Come to find out later about the other two singling me out. It's just so incredibly unfair that I got to hang out with my hero for an extended period of time and I was the one who played it the coolest. Like, c'mon guys...

(Also, butting heads isn't a bad thing, there's a reason I described it as coming home to a fire! :D)

Also, Patrick Rothfuss complimented my Last Airbender Cabbage Merchant Cosplay. That was pretty cool. 

Spoiler

IMG_20170817_201856_1.thumb.jpg.c1896a4bf5941340371fa8a136b0890c.jpgIMG_20170817_201856.thumb.jpg.00698cdb9def420925cbe2f338687e44.jpgIMG_20170817_201819.thumb.jpg.3e6958f740e81db41fa90ad37f323811.jpg

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak
Fix twitter link and upload photos from my phone.

2 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Nooooo! Not the familial embarrassment in front of Brandon! I went to Gen Con this year, and while I didn't go to any of his officially scheduled events, I raced to his booth to make sure I was able to sign my brother and myself up for his Thursday night magic draft. Unbeknownst to me, while I was busy drafting my cards and building my deck, my girlfriend and my sister had caught up with us. Patty, my girlfriend, isn't much of a reader, but Kelly has read through the original Mistborn trilogy. So at this point, all I've done is managed to get a bunch of selfies of me making crazily excited faces with Bradon right behind me, but I come to find out later that Patty has walked right up to Brandon and told him "my boyfriend talks about you and your books more than he talks about me." Then Kelly walks up to him "my brother has pretty much gotten our whole family into your books." I don't know any of this, I'm just trying to build a good deck because, storm it, I wanted my name in a future book (that was the prize.) 

Later on, my brother and I get our chance to play a game of two-headed giant against Brandon and Steve Argyle. We got thrashed so hard that Brandon actually tweeted about the game. (John, my brother, actually passed him one of the really big cards. John hadn't played in a very long time.)

Reveal hidden contents

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We did it, kids! Achievement unlocked. This format has nothing left for me to accomplish <a href="https://t.co/3p0TgmRrVR">pic.twitter.com/3p0TgmRrVR</a></p>&mdash; Brandon Sanderson (@BrandSanderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/898395191576416260?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But while we were playing, John looks over at me and says "did you tell Brandon that he's your inspiration?" I went redder than Shallan hearing a dirty joke. In my head I started screaming play it cool John, this is BRANDON SANDERSON. I hadn't even realized that I had already been picked out of the crowd by Patty and Kelly already. So John starts talking about the book I'm writing and how it's obvious that he can see Sanderson's influence on my writing and I'm trying not to dig a hole through the floor to hide in. Come to find out later about the other two singling me out. It's just so incredibly unfair that I got to hang out with my hero for an extended period of time and I was the one who played it the coolest. Like, c'mon guys...

(Also, butting heads isn't a bad thing, there's a reason I described it as coming home to a fire! :D)

:lol::lol::lol:

We should start a thread on how our family members are reacting to our interest/involvement within the Stormlight Archive world... My husband couldn't care less about my books nor Brandon Sanderson, but he is literally forced to hear about it as I keep quizzing him... 

"Honey, say huh there was this guy who's try to have your family killed and huh he'd also killed a lot of your soldiers and say huh you kind of kill him what would you think?" :ph34r:

Husband rolls eyes.

"This is never going to happen, this is about your book again?".

*sigh*

Or myself wallowing into self-pity on the couch and husband walks by: "Feeling fine? Can I do anything?"

"Not really..."

"This is about your book again? You had a bad news about your character again? Your author said something bad about your character again? Were people not nice to you again on this forum of yours? Just give it up and find yourself a NEW hobby?" :ph34r:

Or this morning at the kids swimming class while I was reading my Arcanum Unbonded...

Husband: "I don't know why you are complaining over your book, you already have a book. I mean why do you want another book?".

"It isn't the same book..." 

"Haven't you read this one already? Are you re-reading it?" Marvels over the incredulity of it all.

5 minutes ago, maxal said:

We should start a thread on how our family members are reacting to our interest/involvement within the Stormlight Archive world... My husband couldn't care less about my books nor Brandon Sanderson, but he is literally forced to hear about it as I keep quizzing him... 

"Honey, say huh there was this guy who's try to have your family killed and huh he'd also killed a lot of your soldiers and say huh you kind of kill him what would you think?" :ph34r:

Husband rolls eyes.

"This is never going to happen, this is about your book again?".

*sigh*

Or myself wallowing into self-pity on the couch and husband walks by: "Feeling fine? Can I do anything?"

"Not really..."

"This is about your book again? You had a bad news about your character again? Your author said something bad about your character again? Were people not nice to you again on this forum of yours? Just give it up and find yourself a NEW hobby?" :ph34r:

Or this morning at the kids swimming class while I was reading my Arcanum Unbonded...

Husband: "I don't know why you are complaining over your book, you already have a book. I mean why do you want another book?".

"It isn't the same book..." 

"Haven't you read this one already? Are you re-reading it?" Marvels over the incredulity of it all.

This is the only thing that pops into my head right now.

01efb935bedcd1d8efdf39929440521b479ea32a329055950d46a416b60ee07c.jpg.cc9b5da16774d4fa04d7d4a6f9708719.jpg

Non-readers just don't get it.

@maxal My spouse is pretty much the same, but I get more interest from her because I only bring up "the storm books/Sanderson" every couple of weeks or so. I'm sure if it was more frequent my enthusiasm would be greeted with much more disinterest.

I've already come to terms with the facts that epic things could be happening in my books and she's just walking around like the world hasn't just changed!

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, maxal said:

My husband just told me if I ever speak about my *cursed* book again, he will personally write to Brandon Sanderson himself claiming his writing is impacting his family life as he cannot stand me rant on how I haven't gotten the book, yet :ph34r: He also said I'd better not WHINE over how my *cursed* character's story arc is not up to my liking because he will personally take action and likely burn all of my books :ph34r: 

Hahaha! This is exactly the same speach i got from my sister! :ph34r: I guess your husband should be more careful when he makes this open threats towards Adolin in front of you :D

I've exasperated everyone around me. I went on a weekend trip with some friends and dragged them to so many bookstores. I was so sad i couldn't find it that one of them was actually "ok, so what's the book about?". After 1 hour of me ranting about it, three of them were  "hm! I will actually read it". That made me so happy :wub:

If I had to choose one thing it would be to find out more about Cultivation’s influence on Roshar. I feel like we know the least about this and hope to get at least some knowledge in OB. 

Other than that pretty much anticipating Brandon blowing my mind!

I seriously doubt it but a tiny tiny part of me is worried I’m overhyping the book in my mind and could get let down somehow. I highly doubt it though Chaos’s review kinda put that to rest for me. 

49 minutes ago, mariapapadia said:

Hahaha! This is exactly the same speach i got from my sister! :ph34r: I guess your husband should be more careful when he makes this open threats towards Adolin in front of you :D

I've exasperated everyone around me. I went on a weekend trip with some friends and dragged them to so many bookstores. I was so sad i couldn't find it that one of them was actually "ok, so what's the book about?". After 1 hour of me ranting about it, three of them were  "hm! I will actually read it". That made me so happy :wub:

Chances of my husband ever reading SA are slim to none...

Husband looking quizzically at my WoR laying around in the living room: "Did you really read every single page of this, it is thicker than a brick?"

"Huh yes why?"

"Are you sure you did not skip any?"

"Huh yes why?"

Looks are me disbelievingly: "I do not understand why anyone would put himself through such torture.".

Or my husband being once again exasperated: "I cannot wait for you to be done with this book, then I can finally stop hearing about it."

"But it is only book 3."

"What do you mean by only book 3?"

"It is a 10 books series...."

Husband looks at me, mouth aghast with a look of striking terror painted on his face: "WHAT? There are 6 more of those books???!"

Or when I emphasis, once again, on how important it is I get my book...

"No honey, I have no idea if Amazon stocked pilled the books at Mississauga. No honey, I have no idea how long it takes for Canada Post to ship a package from Mississauga to Montreal. No honey, I don't know if the delivery is quicker because Montreal is a bigger town. You'll get the book when it gets here, who cares if it only arrives on Wednesday?" :o

"I really don't get why you are so excited about this: it is only a book."

"But... I have been waiting four years to find out what will happen. The anticipation, the wait, the anxiety!"

"It is only a book, how can anyone be excited over a book?" 

*Face palm*

"It is REALLY important I get this book..."

"Important? I'll tell you what is important. You see, your garden which is dying in the yard, how about you go clean it up. How about you clean up the flower buckets next to the pool, your mother is appealed you haven't done so already. Other important things, how about you tell me which color you want me to paint the wall. Or are you going to put up the Christmas lights? Why does it have to be me who does it?"

"Huh because this is a man's task?" :ph34r:

Husband does the face palm: "Here goes feminism." :ph34r: 

"There are so many more productive things you could do instead of talking about your book, writing about your book, blogging about your book, talking to other people about your book. Like for instance, you could fold this basket of clothes. Think of the example you are setting for the kids :ph34r: Does your author even know how much stuff you wrote about his book?"

"Probably not"

"Then why are you doing it?"

Me, looking very miserable, closes computer and proceeds to folds said basket of clothes. Tough life :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

My wife and I met through the Wheel of Time and though I keep trying to get her to read some of Brandon's work, she's not taken the bait so far.

One night I was reading one of the preview chapters on Tor, a scene between Dalinar and the Stormfather and she read over my shoulder 'The Stormfather rumbled' and had a laughing fit about it, imagining some big dude made of clouds. I'm trying to get her to understand that it's a serious thing but she's canning herself laughing and calling him the 'Stormrumbler'. 

So yeah, I'm gonna be in for some abuse as I shout and cheer after Tuesday when I start reading the rest, but eh! It's worth it!

can't wait for...

more radiant powers.

if kalidan can do that with the wind, what else can the other orders do beyond thier obvious surges.

what is dalinar doing when pulling /amplifying shallans power, and what more can he do?

how are renarins two powers different from how we've seen shallan and lift use them?

what can jasnah really do with transportation?

there's still 3 surges we haven't seen at all.

what can mr T's dustbringer do?

I've been drowning my partners in random fanboy stories. I live in rural Midwestern United States. It's kind of nice to talk about something they completely don't relate to for a change haha. 24 hours on the Oathbringer Ambulance.

My partner on Tuesday is one of my regular partners, I like him a lot, and already per-warned him. I got tunnel vision and requested the signing off and didn't think about the day of the release. Rookie mistake. You think I would have learned after not requesting Words of Radiance off.

6 hours ago, maxal said:

Chances of my husband ever reading SA are slim to none...

Husband looking quizzically at my WoR laying around in the living room: "Did you really read every single page of this, it is thicker than a brick?"

"Huh yes why?"

"Are you sure you did not skip any?"

"Huh yes why?"

Looks are me disbelievingly: "I do not understand why anyone would put himself through such torture.".

Or my husband being once again exasperated: "I cannot wait for you to be done with this book, then I can finally stop hearing about it."

"But it is only book 3."

"What do you mean by only book 3?"

"It is a 10 books series...."

Husband looks at me, mouth aghast with a look of striking terror painted on his face: "WHAT? There are 6 more of those books???!"

Or when I emphasis, once again, on how important it is I get my book...

"No honey, I have no idea if Amazon stocked pilled the books at Mississauga. No honey, I have no idea how long it takes for Canada Post to ship a package from Mississauga to Montreal. No honey, I don't know if the delivery is quicker because Montreal is a bigger town. You'll get the book when it gets here, who cares if it only arrives on Wednesday?" :o

"I really don't get why you are so excited about this: it is only a book."

"But... I have been waiting four years to find out what will happen. The anticipation, the wait, the anxiety!"

"It is only a book, how can anyone be excited over a book?" 

*Face palm*

"It is REALLY important I get this book..."

"Important? I'll tell you what is important. You see, your garden which is dying in the yard, how about you go clean it up. How about you clean up the flower buckets next to the pool, your mother is appealed you haven't done so already. Other important things, how about you tell me which color you want me to paint the wall. Or are you going to put up the Christmas lights? Why does it have to be me who does it?"

"Huh because this is a man's task?" :ph34r:

Husband does the face palm: "Here goes feminism." :ph34r: 

"There are so many more productive things you could do instead of talking about your book, writing about your book, blogging about your book, talking to other people about your book. Like for instance, you could fold this basket of clothes. Think of the example you are setting for the kids :ph34r: Does your author even know how much stuff you wrote about his book?"

"Probably not"

"Then why are you doing it?"

Me, looking very miserable, closes computer and proceeds to folds said basket of clothes. Tough life :ph34r:

it's like.. some people will never get it. As much as we love them, they don't understand anything ! I think you are setting a great example for your kids, showing them the passion for reading :ph34r: This reminds me of a quote/meme i saw a while ago "when I will have kids I will force them to read Harry Potter and if they don't, I will lock them under the stairs and they will be Harry Potter". 

I think it would be a fun idea to have a thread about people around us reacting to our obssesion. I sure was amused while reading your post.

18 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I. Am literally.

DYING. 

Ive never Been this excited for a book 

RIGHT!!!?!?

The closest I’ve ever been is for A Memory of Light. But I didn’t spend this much time on forums hyping myself up - so it’s not quite the same.

My level of anticipation for this book is off the charts. At least my sister is almost equally excited. I just have to make sure she doesn’t steal my book and pretend it never shipped.... until her’s arrives anyway. 

1 hour ago, mariapapadia said:

it's like.. some people will never get it. As much as we love them, they don't understand anything ! I think you are setting a great example for your kids, showing them the passion for reading :ph34r: This reminds me of a quote/meme i saw a while ago "when I will have kids I will force them to read Harry Potter and if they don't, I will lock them under the stairs and they will be Harry Potter". 

I think it would be a fun idea to have a thread about people around us reacting to our obssesion. I sure was amused while reading your post.

Ah thanks. Unfortunately, forcing kids to read Harry Potter is not the best strategy to get them into reading... I showed the book to my 7 years old and she turned it down: "But mommy, it has no pictures in it.". So huh we are not there yet :ph34r: In my personal experience, not all kids are precocious and not all kids will react positively to advanced reading: it is better to let them tackle it in their own time. In the mean time, I hope by leaving many books laying around and by never saying no to buy new books, I'll pass down my love of reading into my kids. So far, they like stories, but they still are very young, so we'll see. 

Yeah it is fun to read other people's family reaction to our love of SA. Mine really doesn't get it or loves to tease me with it. Husband's great, he's just not into reading.

On 11/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, Goatbringer said:

and calling him the 'Stormrumbler'

This has made my reading experience so much better.

He just rumbled his reply.

There should be no reason I'm laughing at this so hard. 

On a more detail spoilery note.

Spoiler

The Stormfather hated to be misquoted.

He'd hate this. Oh well. 

images.jpg.bb69817d108bc5b27c0367976abc68e3.jpg

• Chaos locked this topic