Strongest Compounders

Quickbronze

On 11/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

Without the increased reaction speed granted, Steelrunner's would kill themselves just moving.

No, they basically slow time around them; their body speeds up and their mind makes thoughts at the same speed as their body. In Shadows of Self, Bleeder stared at Wax incredulously when using steel, when he was moving at her speed. It’s just that you don’t get smarter; you just think faster.

I’m not good at computer science, but I think it’s like this: steel decreases ping times, but zinc increases the amount of RAM available every ping. So zinc effectively speeds up pings (hence Brandon saying that you get a little bit of bullet time) but you can also perform much more complex functions as well (when Brandon said you can make intuitive leaps).

Ah; I thought you meant that the increased reaction speed comes from zinc, which they don’t have.

To make this post not just a non-discussion reply, I’ll put my thoughts on the most powerful Compounder: Iron-Iron. They’d have a lot of weight to throw around, and if coming up against a steel or brass compounder, they could just pull the person past them, or even around them, like a gravitational assist. Except instead of “assist,” it’s “throw you miles away.” Also, they could do a self-destruct that takes out a city by slingshotting upwards, then tapping All The Weight and Pulling the city to them. Ultimate destruction.

I was skeptical at first, but sign me up for Black Hole (Iron/Iron), because of the way it affects falling bodies (or the way it doesn't, rather).

1. make yourself very light, and Pull hard on the top of a nearby skyscraper, pulling yourself into the air
  2. make yourself very heavy (without decreasing your upward momentum!) and Pull hard on the guy you were just facing off against (or if he's already gotten rid of his belt buckle, the mailbox/car/train/vault door behind him), yanking him towards you at ludicrous speed
  3. maintain both pulls so he sails underneath you and slingshots straight up
  4. profit!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, Yata said:

Actually a Seer would be probably defeated quite easly by multiple type of Misting:

- Soothers and Rioters flaring their metal aganist him could slowing down and maybe disturb him enough to make the Atium useless.

- Also a Pewterarms could give a real challenge to a Seer (much more because with Feruchemical Pewter too it can be really stronger than a usual Pewter Misting)

- Iron and Steel Allomancy are enough to kill an Atium Misting, if the attack is overhelming he can't do nothing.

- Tin...no seriusly, Tin has no advantage aganist a Seer XD

Remember also the Atium burn very fast, someone need only to make the fight last a while to win aganist a Seer.

Also for the Feruchemical side, there are metals that are OP alone (steel for example) and could probably defeat a Seer

We know that well used Tin can be used to defeat an unsuspecting Seer, canonically: the ability to read the Seer and thus do that more reproducibly would be increased with Compounded senses, so I actually think Compounded Tin is an underrated ability. You wouldn't be able to tell the future but you would have unprecedented insight into the present, and we know that the future remains changeable, despite Atium

• 2 weeks later...

Pewter would be legit, you could destroy literally anything you wanted to.

Zinc would be EPIC, think a zinc compounder with a couple guns could hit anyone/anything without ever missing (they would know the exact place to hit).

Iron could be cool, you could compound weight, and then pull anything you wanted towards yourself and then yank yourself out of danger.

Steel would be to fast, a steel compounder would try and hit someone and without the extra strength they would shatter every bone in their body.

Nicrosol would be the most powerful if you also where a Radiant and/or Had an Honorblade. That’s basically unlimited Stormlight.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:46 AM, Herald Of Justice said:

Zinc would be EPIC, think a zinc compounder with a couple guns could hit anyone/anything without ever missing (they would know the exact place to hit).

Though they would probably know most of this stuff after enough gun practice, a Zinc compounder can only think faster. If they don't know how to account for wind/how to lead their shots/etc.., that extra time won't help. Can't do mental math if you don't know the formula, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicrosil compounding could make you recharge medallions. Plus i'm pretty sure that your own f nicrosil solves the problem of medallion interference, do you could basically make BOM.

Iron compounding lets you not care about any extra weight so you could wear some sort of super thick iron armour for defence, plus you have super heavy punch.

Steelrunner could do wonders with a sword or a dagger against anyone without armour.

Duralluminum I think makes you understand intuitivly what things seem to be, like reputation, rumors or how somebody wants others to see him, but also mabye when there is some danger.

Chromium... Well it is said somewhere that Hoid uses something similar to always be in the right place at the right time. Plus leeching is super dangerous if you get lucky. 

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Szmit

26 minutes ago, Szmit said:

Nicrosil compounding could make you recharge medallions. Plus i'm pretty sure that your own f nicrosil solves the problem of medallion interference, do you could basically make BOM.

I strongly disagree with this, if something is able to bypass the Interferace (and honestly I am unsure it could) is the Feruchemical Aluminium (Identity)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 10:46 AM, Lord Mistborn Skybreaker said:

Nicrosol would be the most powerful if you also where a Radiant and/or Had an Honorblade. That’s basically unlimited Stormlight.

From what I understand, you cannot store stormlight and then compound it, instead you store the ability? So that when you tap a stormlight metalmind, you tap the ability to use stormlight. So as a Nicrosil compounded you could worldhop, grab a spike or an honorblade, and fill your nicrosilmind while you have it, then put it back and keep the ability forever

1 hour ago, The Gecko said:

From what I understand, you cannot store stormlight and then compound it, instead you store the ability? So that when you tap a stormlight metalmind, you tap the ability to use stormlight. So as a Nicrosil compounded you could worldhop, grab a spike or an honorblade, and fill your nicrosilmind while you have it, then put it back and keep the ability forever

No, nicrosil stores Investiture, and stormlight is just another form of Investiture. You are using your nicrosil metalmind to fuel the surges you already have.

1 hour ago, podman36 said:

No, nicrosil stores Investiture, and stormlight is just another form of Investiture. You are using your nicrosil metalmind to fuel the surges you already have.

So far, we have only seen Nicrosil store Innate Investiture, not Kinetic Investiture. Of course, that doesn't mean it's impossible to do so, but I find it unlikely that Nicrosil would be able to easily store kinetic investiture without the Southern Scadrians having figured it out.

Precisely, you cannot store stormlight, but you can store your ability to use stormlight. That's how the medallions work, they are two+ unkeyed metalmind rings, one  is nicrosil, granting you the ability to use the other one. So you drain the Nicrosil so you can tap/store from the other one. We know that only people with the certain abilities can use unkeyed metalminds without nicrosil, as we saw that only Wayne could use the gold one. Correct me if I am wrong

Yeah, not impossible, just hard 

shoeties

Since Stormlight and Breath are both investiture, would it be possible to use Nightblood with the former rather than the latter? Would it be possible to store Stormlight in metal using Feruchemy?

Brandon Sanderson

Mixing the magics is possible, but some are easier and more natural than other. Feeding Stormlight to Nightblood is easy. Storing stormlight in metal is tough.

source

On 1/25/2018 at 11:57 AM, .50 Caliber Gentleman said:

So far, we have only seen Nicrosil store Innate Investiture, not Kinetic Investiture.

So.. which of those two categories does breath fall under?

Question

Could feruchemical Nicrosil be used to store other invested abilities, such as a Returned breath or the abilities of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's possible

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2017 at 2:02 AM, digitalbusker said:

I was skeptical at first, but sign me up for Black Hole (Iron/Iron), because of the way it affects falling bodies (or the way it doesn't, rather).

1. make yourself very light, and Pull hard on the top of a nearby skyscraper, pulling yourself into the air
  2. make yourself very heavy (without decreasing your upward momentum!) and Pull hard on the guy you were just facing off against (or if he's already gotten rid of his belt buckle, the mailbox/car/train/vault door behind him), yanking him towards you at ludicrous speed
  3. maintain both pulls so he sails underneath you and slingshots straight up
  4. profit!

I don't think that's how iron feruchemy works. When you change your weight, it conserves momentum, which means that your velocity would decrease as your mass increased. That was what Khriss was asking Wax about.

54 minutes ago, Gderu said:

I don't think that's how iron feruchemy works. When you change your weight, it conserves momentum, which means that your velocity would decrease as your mass increased. That was what Khriss was asking Wax about.

Correct.

I still wonder what Lerasium does.

Do you mean in the context of feruchemy? I think that it probably has to do with fuelling allomabtic powers using feruchemy, since it's hemalurgic powers also have to do with granting abilities. Maybe that is how it is possible to fuel allomancy with feruchemy.

Btw, sorry for necroing I didn't notice the date.

Edited by Gderu

Actually, as proven in the Bands of Mourning, the right kind of Nicrosil storing can give you the ability to use different forms of Investiture as well. A Nicrosil compounder could just make themselves a Full Metalborn by enhancing their Feruchemical powers to be a Keeper and their Allomantic powers to be Mistborn.

Allomantic Lerasium gives you the ability to use metals... I assume tapping Feruchemical Lerasium will give you Feruchemical abilities.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 8:22 PM, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

Double-Brass isn't as powerful pound-for-pound, but being able to suddenly channel massive amounts of heat from your body while also Soothing your enemies' will to fight definitely has some interesting applications.

Actually, the fact that F Brass stores bodyheat specifically means the most you could do is incinerate yourself. As cool as that would look (blip) it would not be a very effective tactic.