Strongest Compounders

Quickbronze

So, what, in your opinion, is the strongest Compounder combatively, and why? 

I personally can't decide between Atium, and Chromium. Either one is practically unkillable, and if they attack you, you have practically no way to fight back. Originally my list of strongest included Gold and Steel, but I decided that Gold was out because it didn't have very good offensive capabilities and I cut Steel because you could easily be killed from behind in an ambush.

12 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

So, what, in your opinion, is the strongest Compounder combatively, and why? 

I personally can't decide between Atium, and Chromium. Either one is practically unkillable, and if they attack you, you have practically no way to fight back. Originally my list of strongest included Gold and Steel, but I decided that Gold was out because it didn't have very good offensive capabilities and I cut Steel because you could easily be killed from behind in an ambush.

Steel/Steel, you could sense someone behind you with Steelsight if they had metal. Have you read Alloy of Law? Gold/Gold is insane. Atium/Atium means that you can live forever and are a Seer, but in terms of combat the only useful skill there is being a Seer. Chromium sounds like fun.

17 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

I cut Steel because you could easily be killed from behind in an ambush.

If an unexpected attack that happens so quickly you cannot react to it is what you are worried about then is not Steel compounding the most powerful? An atium compounder would need to be continually burning Allomantic atium to avoid the ambush (assuming a normal speed individual, even with the foresight granted by atium, could not be "checkmated" by a Steel compounder). As far as I am aware, we are unsure of how Feruchemical Chromium works so I would hesitate to put any sort of weight behind descriptions of its use.

Honestly, Steel compounding in particular, and feruchemical compounding via allomancy in general, is one of my least favorite additions to the Mistborn trilogy. It is, in my tiny opinion, far too powerful and breaks an otherwise beautiful magic system (feruchemy).

How would I even know about compounding if I hadn't read Era 2...? Anyways, I deemed that Atium and Chromium were about as good at keeping you alive while having better offensive capability, and Atium can foresee attacks better then steelsight. I suppose there are situations where you could be checkmated using Atium that Steel would allow you to escape from. All the good battle metals have their uses, which one is "best" is purely a matter of opinion.

2 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

If an unexpected attack that happens so quickly you cannot react to it is what you are worried about then is not Steel compounding the most powerful? An atium compounder would need to be continually burning Allomantic atium to avoid the ambush (assuming a normal speed individual, even with the foresight granted by atium, could not be "checkmated" by a Steel compounder). As far as I am aware, we are unsure of how Feruchemical Chromium works so I would hesitate to put any sort of weight behind descriptions of its use.

Honestly, Steel compounding in particular, and feruchemical compounding via allomancy in general, is one of my least favorite additions to the Mistborn trilogy. It is, in my tiny opinion, far too powerful and breaks an otherwise beautiful magic system (feruchemy).

I am talking about that sort of ambush. Though steel compounding would be good for avoiding it, you'd have to constantly be tapping steel at a high rate in order to get Atium's avoidance abilities, and that would make it very difficult to interact with other people. I suppose when you're as powerful as a steel compounder you don't need help from anyone XD

I think that Compounding is an interesting system that fits well with the Mistborn feel, but it can get preeeetty broken.

21 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

All the good battle metals have their uses, which one is "best" is purely a matter of opinion.

It might be worth considering scenarios as opposed to using a general term like "combat".

Gold/gold is very, very good at 1v1 fighting but gets increasingly less useful as the odds are stacked against you. A gold compounder is only marginally better at 1v100 than a normal person but a Steel or Atium compounder still has a huge advantage. A Steel compounder in a nuts/bolts factory is very different than a Steel compounder in a forest and that is very different than fighting on top of a thinly frozen lake. Speaking of a frozen lake, a brass twinborn fighting an atium twinborn on a glacier can probably just run away and stay warm and let the atium twinborn die of exposure haha! ;) 

Also, out of curiosity, what do you expect from a Chromium twinborn?

1 hour ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

Double-Brass isn't as powerful pound-for-pound, but being able to suddenly channel massive amounts of heat from your body while also Soothing your enemies' will to fight definitely has some interesting applications.

"You don't want to run, stay here and burn."

Atium compounding, other than longevity, is fairly useless. You sacrifice atium combat ability for youth. It doesn't heal you. 

Chromium... We don't know anything about feruchemical Chromium function. 

An ambush that could instantly kill a steel compounder is going to take out pretty much anyone, even a gold compounder if they aren't able to live long enough to start tapping. 

Steel is the unrivaled winner of what we actually know. As long as you have any forewarning whatsoever, you can react and kill someone before they can move. 

Bleeder moves quickly enough with steel to fire four gunshots from four locations in a room fast enough that there's only a single report heard. That's stupid OP. 

Like other said, Atium Compounding is mainly useless in battle (witch I believe is the topic's context).

We don't know enough how Cosmere's Fortune works so I can't honestly consider it.

The best metal to me for a Twinborn Compounder (like @Calderis said) is Steel, sure probably an Human Compounder can't push that at the point Bleeder did. But will still gave you extremely reaction time and the ability to have a great manovrability and an extra sense to keep the information in the battleground updated.

Sure Steel is not invincible but none of the metals are

9 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

I'm referring to the combat abilities of a Compounder, not of Compounding; that is, the individuals who can compound, not the possibility of infinite feruchemical storages.

What combat abilities does an atium compounder gain that a simple Seer lacks? 

6 hours ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

None; however, Seers are pretty powerful on their own, enough to challenge a compounder; at least in my opinion

Actually a Seer would be probably defeated quite easly by multiple type of Misting:

- Soothers and Rioters flaring their metal aganist him could slowing down and maybe disturb him enough to make the Atium useless.

- Also a Pewterarms could give a real challenge to a Seer (much more because with Feruchemical Pewter too it can be really stronger than a usual Pewter Misting)

- Iron and Steel Allomancy are enough to kill an Atium Misting, if the attack is overhelming he can't do nothing.

- Tin...no seriusly, Tin has no advantage aganist a Seer XD

Remember also the Atium burn very fast, someone need only to make the fight last a while to win aganist a Seer.

Also for the Feruchemical side, there are metals that are OP alone (steel for example) and could probably defeat a Seer

21 minutes ago, Yata said:

Also for the Feruchemical side, there are metals that are OP alone (steel for example) and could probably defeat a Seer

Absolutely. Atium foresight is useless if the person, namely a steel runner, can react to your preemptive move and alter their actions faster than you can account for it.

A seer would see a streak of an incoming steelrunner, begin to react, and the steelrunner would alter course and still take them out. 

On 11/12/2017 at 2:21 AM, Calderis said:

Absolutely. Atium foresight is useless if the person, namely a steel runner, can react to your preemptive move and alter their actions faster than you can account for it.

A seer would see a streak of an incoming steelrunner, begin to react, and the steelrunner would alter course and still take them out. 

I personally think Atium would be able to compensate but I have no way of proving that 

Edited by Crimson Not Blood

10 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

I personally think Atium would be able to compensate but I have no way of proving that 

Atium gives foresight, but does not increase their actual physical capabilities. 

It can do some amazing things, being able to see and intuitively understand what needs to be done. 

A seer just cannot physically outperform a Steelrunner, and therein lies the issue of how stupid OP steel Feruchemy is. 

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Atium gives foresight, but does not increase their actual physical capabilities. 

It can do some amazing things, being able to see and intuitively understand what needs to be done. 

A seer just cannot physically outperform a Steelrunner, and therein lies the issue of how stupid OP steel Feruchemy is. 

True 

It's possible that an Seer could kill a Steel compounder if they were going so fast their mind couldn't keep up 

Though personally I'm of the opinion that Steel feruchemy increases your cognition to match your speed entirely 

Then again, if that were the case, it'd basically be a better zinc

6 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

True 

It's possible that an Seer could kill a Steel compounder if they were going so fast their mind couldn't keep up 

Though personally I'm of the opinion that Steel feruchemy increases your cognition to match your speed entirely 

Then again, if that were the case, it'd basically be a better zinc

I think it improves cognition to help the user not smash into walls/react faster but beyond that it doesn't give much of a boost.

It does increase Cognitive function. All Feruchemy has inbuilt safeguards so the power itself doesn't kill you. 

Zinc and steel both increase speed of thought, but zinc does quite a bit more on the mental end. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/76/#e6398

Alteroden

With [Feruchemical] zinc, you get mental speed. How is that any different from [Feruchemical] steel, except without [physical] speed?

Brandon Sanderson

I think of the mental speed actually turning you into... Let's say you sped up your body, and you wanted to figure out some really complex equations.

Alteroden

So it lets you have intuitive leaps.

Brandon Sanderson

Right. It basically turns you into Ken Jennings. That's how I imagine it.

Kurkistan

So it's not like bullet time?

Brandon Sanderson

No... It'll bullet time a little bit, it certainly will, because you're thinking faster than everyone else, but it has applications beyond bullet timing. Bullet time is really--

Kurkistan

That’s steel’s thing?

Brandon Sanderson

That’s kind of steel's thing. They kind of overlap on that one, because the steel thing... But yeah. It's more like "I think fast, but my reaction speed is not sped up".

Without the increased reaction speed granted, Steelrunner's would kill themselves just moving. 

Steelrunner's aren't going to figure out anything they couldn't figure out without it though. Zinc is going to give you intuitive leaps in logic to puzzle things out in ways you'd never have thought of naturally. 

Just thinking about it, I can't remember offhand what metal stores connection, but wouldn't that have both the effect of no one being willing to fight you AND when storing being functionally invisible to everyone? So you would be more unkillable then a gold/gold and be more able to ambush someone then any other combination right?

Though it is weak to pure dumb luck of being hit by accident.

Edited by Blacksmithki

2 hours ago, Blacksmithki said:

Just thinking about it, I can't remember offhand what metal stores connection, but wouldn't that have both the effect of no one being willing to fight you AND when storing being functionally invisible to everyone? So you would be more unkillable then a gold/gold and be more able to ambush someone then any other combination right?

Though it is weak to pure dumb luck of being hit by accident.

You could store all your Connection to make people not care about you, but that could definitely get you killed on accident, possibly even by your own allies. Tapping Connection wouldn't necessarily make everyone your friend; I'm pretty sure it would reinforce any negative Connection you have. I could be wrong about that though.

Edited by Crimson Not Blood

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be weird here: Iron/Iron.

See, we know that Ironsight (and Steelsight) is proportional to the Allomancer's weight, meaning that enough weight could allow for pulling normally invisible metal sources. Add to that the ability to have their own gravitational pull, and you can pull basically anything. Hard.

Assuming I'm right, they could literally pull bricks into people, which normal Mistings can't move. If I'm wrong about that part, they can still pull something from the next town into your back, which will have too much momentum for even Wax to stop (especially if it weighs ten tons).

True, they are somewhat lacking in defensive capabilities, but I think the died with which they can kill you makes up for that.