If you're in jeopardy,
don't call the cavalry.
There's a better remedy.
Although he doesn't work for free!
Righting wrongs and singing songs.
Being mighty all day long.
He’s Joxter, he’s Joxter the Mighty!
♪♫♪

Joxter sang his song as he entered the building, his staff tapping in rhythm at his side.

"Never fear noble, um, Nobles.  Joxter the Mighty is here to root out the evil plaguing your land."

Decked out head to toe in mismatched bits of scrap armour, Joxter the Mighty tried, and failed, to pose in what he felt was a heroic posture.  A few of the others gathered glanced his way and almost all had a smirk on their faces.  Joxter the Mighty didn't care that they all thought him a bumbling fool.  It was after all exactly what he wanted them to think.  It made them underestimate him for it would be all the sweeter when they saw just how effective he was.  The looks on their faces then would be worth the scorn he received now when he saved them all and they had to humble themselves as they thanked him.

Hearing the creak of a closing door, Galen looked up from his book. 

Riri. 

Sighing, he shut the thick tome, resting it on the shelf, before doing a quick check of his sister's room that confirmed his suspicions. She'd sneaked out again. 

Murmuring softly to himself, he pulled on his jacket and a hooded cloak around his shoulders. A small knife was concealed into a sheath by his side, and he strode to the door. 

He knew he didn't have a chance of finding her in the ash and mists. Rhiannon was small, nimble, and knew how to hide. She was not as good though, at actually hiding where she would have gone, or who with. 

He pushed the door open, then paused. It might be a long stakeout. 

He returned for his book, tucking it under an arm. 

Then he strode out into the mists.

@Ookla the Rae

Edited by Doc12

Lady Noodlington gasped. 
"How terribly awful! Oh!” she put a hand to her forhead, swooning dramatically. “We shall all be murdered in our beds!”
She paused for a second, as though to process her own words.
“That is, we would be murdered, if it was not for the fact that skaa are incompetent and stupid.”
There was a rumbling of agreement. Yes, that’s right, ha! Bet they couldn’t even go to a ball without spilling their drinks on themselves.
Besides, everyone knew that the Nobles were far better at killing each other themselves than any traitor would be. They’d done it for hundreds of years, stabbing and backstabbing and plotting, putting up facades of grandeur and glamour.
“I’m sure it won’t be too difficult to eliminate these poor creatures,” Lady Noodlington continued. “They might not even know what they’re doing, attempting to imitate a noble.”
Mekel Urbain gave her a wan smile, perhaps kindly, perhaps thinking she was being silly.
“I am not so sure, unfortunately. They may even be amoung us now.”
Now that provoked a reaction. Faces glanced to those on either side of them, suspicion and shock showing through clearly. They even glanced to those in their own Houses. It…couldn’t be one of us, could it? We’re all nobles! Just look at us. And everyone knows how different the skaa are from us. They…couldn’t be here, hiding.
…Could they?
Quite possibly, they could, thought Lady Noodlington, glancing at the people she had always thought her allies.

Stood at the top of her tower, Selina looked down upon the swirling mists. Skaa in their ranks. The thought was disgusting. A lesser form of life parading as the elites!? 

She took a deep breath and leapt. The mist swirled around her, dancing through her fingers and hair as the ground came up to meet her. 

A coin clinked to the ground, and Selina shot off into the air once more. In quick succession she threw down four more coins around the first creating a square around it. 

Selina found her balance. She hung suspended in the air a short way from her window. The mist rose up to meet her, to blanket and shelter her from the horrors she had just heard.  

As time passed, Selina found herself looking back towards her room and the warmth within. She pushed off from her suspension and flew to her balcony, Pulling her coins as she did so. They fell into the open pouch at her chest with a clink. 

She removed her mistcloak and sat down at her dresser. Methodically brushing out the tangles in her golden hair, which she then pinned to the side. She must be presentable when she descended to the dining hall. 

Stepping into the room, there was a severe lack of people. Great. Her sister had gone gallivanting off again. Would she ever learn? 

A servant brought her food, a beautiful medley of colours. He then began to fill her glass with wine.

"No."

She would need to keep a sound head tonight. She sat back, and smiled at her father.

Jex inevitably could not fall asleep. The Houses were still buzzing with energy, an infectious energy which jumped from spire to spire, through windows and floorboards. An unseen, unheard and unbeknownst crackle that swept through the Final Empire. And Jex was there among the muddle, not quite in the thick of it, but sort of in the edge of it, close enough to see it all and hear even more. Whispers here and there, a rumour or two, most of them were farce and useless, just the Nobles attempting to stir the hornet’s nest here and there. But one constant undertone, a buzz if you will was always around, and Jex would often find it in the most interesting of places.

Here beneath the feet of Infinity
There we toil, slaves of divinity

Working, working, waiting, baiting
Our time shall come, blood pulsating

Once, forgotten, a freedom shared
Now, in fear, we lie ensnared.

Down, and out, from under and in.
Change shall come, but only from within

Working, working, infiltrating
Soon to come, blood pulsating

Jex rubbed his forehead, the whispers were everywhere, intruding, and ultimately, annoying. The uproar in the Court merely made them echo more and louder however. Clashing and reverberating, creating and sowing more chaos and confusion.

Something needed to be done.

Even if only so he could have a good night’s sleep.

---------

Sooo, here we are kiddos. Time to eat metal and do magic stuff!

Or well, for some of you. Others I am saddened to say people, we only have our minds to use.

You know what we Houses should do? We should like, not fight.

And work together to find those wretched skaa stopping me from sleeping well.

EDIT: OH 

And my character is up to RP with y'all, I'm hoping to get a dance with each and every one of you during the balls ;) My dude's quite the flirt, but keep him at arm's length :P 

Edited by Darkness_

Aeneas knocked on his master's door
" yes? "

Aeneas opened the door and nervously spoke 
"it has began , sir , just as you predicted , a thought to be member of a Great House was revealed to be a Skaa Rebel"

"Hmm we will need to be extra careful in the coming days , thank you for this information. you should prepare "

"ofcourse sir , anything in particular you'd like me to prepare ?"

"now that you mention it....."

Alright, let’s get down to business (to defeat the Skaa). We all should keep in mind that, while it’s true that even if we kill all of them we Nobles will lose if our house doesn’t have the most favor but (not to give you any flashbacks, Aonar) in this faction game the Eliminators are the most important, and most favor is gained from killing them anyway. 

Here are the favor values, for those of you who don’t want to go to another page:

Kill a Skaa- 15 

Start a Lynch on a Skaa- 5

Participate in such Lynch- 1

2 200 word RP posts- 5

2 200 word strategy posts- 5

attending Noble ball- 5

I know some people will want to make sure their house wins, but as you can that’s really only attainable by finding the rebels. The ball is limited to one person per house, so it’s pretty much a reward for activity. 

We do need to keep an eye on the Skaa victory condition.(@DroughtBringer is it based on live nobles or total?)

I’ll just remind you all they need 25 Skaa Support points per noble, and they get them the same way we get favor, except without any for lynching. Because of this, we should be particularly suspicious of active people who don’t vote, or who seem to act like their vote doesn’t matter.

On the topic of being suspicious: DOC SAFETY, people! It is almost guaranteed there is at least one skaa reading everything you write- I recommend NOT sharing roles of you haven’t already- set up an anonymous area at the bottom so the most effective Mistings won’t be targeted. 

And another thing: there isn’t really a consistent way to find skaa using roles, so we need to get voting- there isn’t going to be more information coming!

I’ll start off the festivities with a vote on Drake Marshall. What’s your opinion on all this?

12 hours ago, DroughtBringer said:

“I know you all have things that you would rather be attending to, but we have to take action against those,” Mekel Urbain paused for a moment, then nearly choked out the next word, “Skaa, that have infiltrated our ranks. I am not leaving here until we have decided how we are going to find these... Skaa.”

Dorvan glared indignantly at the man pretending to front the meeting. He appeared to be some soft city-dweller. Did this man not know that he, Dorvan Tekiel, had only just returned to Luthadel after suppressing a Skaa rebellion his lands? By all right, he should be leading this meeting as he had the most experience with smoking Skaa out.

A Noble lady shared her disdainful views of the Skaa, and Dorvan nodded along. Lady Noodlington did have a point. He slowly stood up. “Skaa might not be quite as dumb as our esteemed lady Noodlington has presented them to be, but she does make an important point. The Skaa are different from us, and won’t have the training and experiences that we have. They might have learned to talk and dress like us, but have they learned to live like us?”

“I propose we hold a grand ball with the most refined refreshments we can muster. The Skaa might not have learned to dance, and betray themselves because of it. They might not have learned to distinguish wine-vintages, and betray themselves because of it. They might not have learned to hold proper small-talk among noble houses, and therefore, betray themselves. They will betray themselves in a thousand little ways. And through these betrayals, we’ll find them, and we’ll deal with them.”

---

Okay, this is the point where I would normally talk a bit about the various abilities. However, each of them is so open ended that I don't think there's much that I could suggest that would be useful. or rather, I think I could suggest a lot of useful things, but I think I'll confine most of that to the doc of my House :P

However, I think both Gold and Tin could be employed to try and find Skaa. I doubt Tin will allow for spying on the Skaa doc(though it would be worth a shot), but you might word things in such a way that you know about some or all inter-house communication, which would include the skaa(unless they're all in one house). Gold might be useful for determining if an action was performed by a Noble or Skaa.

I agree with Phattemer about the importance of trying to root out the Skaa. It might be tempting to try and use the vote to get rid of another house's most active people to reduce their income of favor. However, I think that's going to cause discussion to disintegrate here as you could accuse anyone of voting merely to help their house, which isn't helpful for discussion at all. Though I might make suggestions in my house doc to use powers to hinder other houses, I promise I won't let house politics interfere with my votes and analysis in the thread. I hope others will do the same.

Edited by randuir
grammar

3 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Guys I just realized something

We're in four houses

houses

Lawrence glided down the hallway, cloak swishing about his shoulders. His manservant strode alongside. His fingers brushed at his belt, where he kept his seal. A peasant girl stumbled into the hallway, pointed a stick at him, and yelled something in what sounded like Italian. He made a gesture with two of his fingers, and Arthur drew his knife. Lawrence kept walking, Arthur would catch up. Useful man. So much like Lawrence in so many ways, yet different in a few. Lawrence found the correct section of the wall and waited for Arthur. He waited for five minutes, then started striding back. He reached the doorway that Arthur had taken the peasant, and pressed his ear to the door.
"No, Nymphadora, the Death Eaters were all captured years ago! Plus, he doesn't even have a wand!"
"He has a knife, and he tried to stab me!"
Lawrence eased his way over to the keyhole and peered through. The peasant girl and a boy about her age were standing over Arthur, who was dead or wounded.
That was enough.
Lawrence burst through the door, drawing his sword.
He woke up later next to Arthur. His head hurt, and his sword was gone.

-- Man, I am bad at writing, aren't I? I assume we have one Atium misting, and possibly a mistborn. Those will find skaa.

@DroughtBringer thoughts on hemalurgy?

1 hour ago, Roadwalker said:

@DroughtBringer thoughts on hemalurgy?

I don’t care what Drought says in response, no one should try Hemarulgy. We all lose unless we stop the Skaa, and murdering the most effective mistings will only hurt in those efforts. We don’t want to begin a war of escalation, and if we can agree to a truce on this front it will help us all.

Besides, by my best guess, the preciseness needed for Hemarulgy and the lack of knowledge our characters would have on a basis of lore means there’d be no way for it to work anyways, unless someone explicitly has a Hemarulgist role.

In terms of other strategy, I’d say we should try to avoid infighting. Right now, the Skaa have an advantage on us, and that advantage is primarily in terms of information. Whatever has been shared in the various house docs is doubtless already in the Skaa doc, and we still have no actionable intelligence as to who the Skaa are. Tineyes, don’t reveal your role until you’ve scanned an eliminator, and then do so only to a trusted confidant or two. Don’t do so in the doc, since you’ll reveal yourself to the Skaa. You’re our best chance to figure out Skaa players at the moment (besides, of course, post analysis), so I’d much prefer you don’t die.

Now, I agree that we need to start voting. Sorry about this, Drake Marshall, but I want to add a sense of urgency to the vote Phatt posted. Once you respond, I’ll revoke my vote.

3 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

I don’t care what Drought says in response, no one should try Hemarulgy. We all lose unless we stop the Skaa, and murdering the most effective mistings will only hurt in those efforts. We don’t want to begin a war of escalation, and if we can agree to a truce on this front it will help us all.

Bugsy, I might be reading too much into this, but are you suggesting that the Skaa won't have mistings? And if so, what makes you think that?

I agree that we shouldn't be killing others just to see what happens, but putting in a hemalurgy-related action against the current lynch-target is not an issue, I think.

Variel smiled, reading the simple note from Riri. He could still hardly believe that he and Riri had begun to court each other. The fact that some noblewoman had finally managed to get him to love again after....

He sighed, shaking his head to clear those memories. He didn't want past mistakes to cloud his current relationship. As Variel got dressed, he started thinking about the announcement he'd heard earlier today. Could there really be even more skaa in the noble houses? The thought baffled him, how would a skaa even manage to blend in with the nobles? Variel himself had a hard time fitting in with the nobles, though of course most people didn't know that. He kept to himself most of the time, so they wouldn't know how insecure he felt around most of the other nobles, but he'd long grown used to their political games and fancy ways. He just wasn't particularly fond of them.

Variel grabbed his cloak as he snuck out the window of his room, being very careful to not rip his suit as he climbed down. He wouldn't want anyone of his house questioning where he was going at such a late hour. They couldn't know he was courting someone from their rival house. 

The mists enveloped him as he walked through the streets of Luthadel. He had never been afraid of the mists, like most people. Some considered them unnatural, almost creepy, but he felt right at home amongst them. 

Variel heard something behind him, so he quickly turned around and crouched down, reaching to his side as if to grab something. Instead, he slipped out a little knife from his sleeve, and creeped towards where he felt the sound came from. After a few minutes of searching, he decided that he must've imagined the sound...but he couldn't shake a certain feeling of uneasiness that something was wrong.

He finally reached the square Riri had told him to meet her in, and sat against the wall, waiting for her.

@Ookla the Rae

8 hours ago, Ookla the Rae said:

Can we send PMs? Can those be spied on? Can house docs be spied on?

PMs are open.

They can be spied on

House docs can not be spied on.

10 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

thoughts on hemalurgy?

You can attempt it. But unless your character has the knowledge required (in the form of a Role) you will not succeed. 

Adela tapped a finger on her chair as she thought back on the night’s events. Her father had come home from a meeting in a rage and called them all into the sitting room.

“Spies! Traitors! And to think they could be in my house at this very moment!”

He’d been so red-faced that everyone in the room had stayed silent for that little “family meeting”. Could he be right though? Could someone in their house...in their family even...be a spy? She shuddered. She couldn’t imagine that someone she’d known all her life could’ve been living a lie. Everyone knew that spies and subterfuge were common among the houses, but not within the houses.

She decided to keep an account of her day to day happenings, in hopes that even the smallest piece of evidence would prove useful. She didn’t know if she’d expose someone she loved, but she wouldn’t remain in the dark about it either.

Adela gasped. What if someone in her lineage was the skaa spy?! That would make her….no, she pushed the thought from her mind. Impossible. She’d be disgraced….or worse. She determined she’d keep an eye out for a spy living among them, but she prayed it wasn’t true.

A sound from down the hall made her jump. Had that come from Variel’s room? She slipped from her room, and made her way to her brother’s.

“Variel?” She said softly, while knocking on the door lightly. No answer. Hmm he must’ve fallen asleep already. How on earth can he sleep after tonight? She shook her head and decided to leave him be. He was always reading before bed so the thump had probably just been him dropping his book as he drifted off. He’d done it enough times that she’d grown used to noises like that.

Shrugging, she made her way back to her room for a sleepless night.

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

1 hour ago, randuir said:

Bugsy, I might be reading too much into this, but are you suggesting that the Skaa won't have mistings? And if so, what makes you think that?

That’s not what I was suggesting, no, merely that if kill orders are motivated by the power you can steal rather than actual suspicion, we’ll ultimately wind up doing poorly. If one house targets the Mistings of another, that house will see themselves targeted in turn, in what amounts to an escalating level of conflict. 

11 minutes ago, DroughtBringer said:

House docs can not be spied on.

I’m not sure that’s strictly true. There are skaa, after all :P

Hm. Can the skaa doc be spied on? Can a tineye spy on which docs a person accesses in a given cycle? That could give us a way to catch the Skaa, and since it’s not spying on the content it doesn’t seem as if it’d be explicitly prohibited. 

2 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

I assume we have one Atium misting, and possibly a mistborn. Those will find skaa.

It seems I missed this part of your post earlier. This is a very dangerous assumption to make. If we do even have either of those roles, there’s no guarantee that they aren’t Skaa, and even if both are present and they’re both noblemen, there’s no guarantee they’ll take care of the Skaa for us. If that were possible, the Skaa would have no chance from the start, which would ruin game balance almost certainly. If I had a better grasp of your play style, I’d even venture so far as to say this was suspicious or an attempt to deflect attention from the Skaa. Someone who has played with Roadwalker recently, is this indicative of their usual playstyle, or is my gut right that this seems suspicious?

10 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

That’s not what I was suggesting, no, merely that if kill orders are motivated by the power you can steal rather than actual suspicion, we’ll ultimately wind up doing poorly. If one house targets the Mistings of another, that house will see themselves targeted in turn, in what amounts to an escalating level of conflict. 

Fair enough, and I agree with that.

It seems I missed this part of your post earlier. This is a very dangerous assumption to make. If we do even have either of those roles, there’s no guarantee that they aren’t Skaa, and even if both are present and they’re both noblemen, there’s no guarantee they’ll take care of the Skaa for us. If that were possible, the Skaa would have no chance from the start, which would ruin game balance almost certainly. If I had a better grasp of your play style, I’d even venture so far as to say this was suspicious or an attempt to deflect attention from the Skaa. Someone who has played with Roadwalker recently, is this indicative of their usual playstyle, or is my gut right that this seems suspicious?

I have played with Roadwalker recently, but I wouldn't say I've got a good handle on his play-style. That having been said, I don't think the comment you mentioned is alignment indicative for the reasons you presented. If he had been making a larger argument about why we should let roles find the Skaa, rather than discussion, I'd agree with you, but at this point it just seems like an odd off-hand comment rather than an attempt to make people stop looking for the Skaa. If it was meant in the way you think, then it was a more subtle move than I've seen from Roadwalker in the past (no offense intended, Roadwalker, and I might be wrong).

That having been said, I am rather curious about why he got to these conclusions. In a straight up elims vs. village game I might maybe agree, but as this is a faction game I think we shouldn't be assuming that there's only 1 of any powerful role.

Edited by randuir

Mhm I doubt there would be a mistborn in one house unless they were a skaa xD...doesn't seem fair to give one noble that role and not give it to the other houses as well. I think every role should be looking for the skaa, and not just assume there are better roles who could do it for us. That said, I don't think this coming from Road is alignment indicative, as I've played with him a bunch. Just seems like a side thought.

I haven't the slightest clue how to give analysis on day one of a faction game when not much has been said but rp. I do agree that the houses shouldn't start targeting each other just to get ahead because that would be the quickest route to our failure.

As for a vote, I'll wait for more people to post in the cycle so I have more to look at.

Right, I'm here now. I was rather busy before 'cause I had to finish this paper on Julian of Norwich. I am now officially on break, so I have time to play this game (and also read Oathbringer) :)

Let me catch up on the thread. Will have more to say very soon.

Well then. I am caught up, I think.

I agree that we should probably focus on catching skaa... But, to be realistic, I will note that everyone will claim to want this early in the game (a bit like the Alethi-Parshendi joint win in MR23). Time will tell who really means what they say, and who was lying.

That said, the things that gain a house favor are also the things that kill skaa. So... I don't think the houses are in direct competition. Rather, we are simply trying to see which of us can kill skaa faster than the other. A house war probably isn't the best play unless you are really, really desperate.

I note an early spurt of votes on me. Most interesting.

The first one, from phattemer, I completely understand. It is a poke vote to get the game moving, and I applaud the notion (although unless you have serious reason to keep the vote on me, I will point out that you have succeeded in drawing me into the conversation).

The second one, from Bugsy, seems like straight bandwagonning, and while I understand that we need a D1 lynch, I refuse to be on the recieving end of that unless you can present me with some kind of proper reason for it.

I will not retract my vote if you retract yours on me.

I will retract my vote if you better explain yours on me.

@Bugsy6912 

I don't think we should wait for a mistborn to solve our problems. But I think we've probably chewed Road out enough for that remark already, so I'll leave it at that.

I need to catch up with my house, now. I've been bombarding Drought with questions about house focii, and I need to share my results.

Also I want to do some RP. I have an interesting concept for my character. :)

EDIT: Anybody want to collaborate for some RP? You'll have some idea of what my character is like after I finish his debut. @DroughtBringer are we allowed to create PMs that are purely for RP coordination (which would still include GMs)? (I'm sorry for all my questions :P)

25 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

EDIT: Anybody want to collaborate for some RP? You'll have some idea of what my character is like after I finish his debut. @DroughtBringer are we allowed to create PMs that are purely for RP coordination (which would still include GMs)? (I'm sorry for all my questions :P)

PMs are open. Do what you want with them. (As long as you don't break normal SE rules)

26 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Sure.