(Theory) Hoid reviving Adonalsium?

Sallin Zeras

I just thought about it, and it kind of seems like Hoid is collecting pieces of other shards, like lerasium, and breaths(which I think is part of Endowment’s power). He may also be in Roshar to get something like honorspren, or become a Radiant. I mean, is the only reason I can think of Hoid showing up in every Shardworld. Maybe if he joins pieces of every other Shard together, he can somehow restore Adonalsium or something.

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew

8 minutes ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

I just thought about it, and it kind of seems like Hoid is collecting pieces of other shards, like lerasium, and breaths(which I think is part of Endowment’s power). He may also be in Roshar to get something like honorspren, or become a Radiant. I mean, is the only reason I can think of Hoid showing up in every Shardworld. Maybe if he joins pieces of every other Shard together, he can somehow restore Adonalsium or something.

Brandon has intentionally put that in there to make it seem like he is. That makes me think something else might be happening, just on instinct. It's certainly possible, and would make for a good story, though, and you do have evidence. I'm not a personal subscriber to the theory, but I don't have an alternative. 

Nice job on picking all that out. ;)

Here's a WoB on it:

Questioner

So, Hoid was there during the Shattering of Adonalsium. Odium is going around, like, destroying other Shards. We know that Hoid is collecting and has pieces of some of the other Shards.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Since Hoid was there at the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Is there an echo image of the original Adonalsium in Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, that's a RAFO. Here's your card. But it is a valid theory.

Questioner

I have a two-parter on that.

Brandon Sanderson

You can ask me the next part, but it is a RAFO.

Questioner

Is his end goal trying to join as many pieces of Adonalsium together to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Um, that, I will give a "that's a very good guess." And that is what the books seem to indicate is happening.

@Rider of Storms Well, I must admit I don’t have much proof, but it’s all that I can assume with the information that Brandon has given us. No one really knows much about Hoid, I think we won’t know much about him until Dragonsteel, and that is going to be in a very long time. Or I’ve also considered him trying to be Adonalsium. Something like what Sazed did with Ruin and Preservation.

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew

The only possible problem I can see with this theory is how he could get investiture from the shards that were shattered on Sel... Maybe a seon or something that's been Forged? I don't recall him having anything like that when we see him, though I may just be forgetting something. Or maybe he just hasn't grabbed any bits of investiture from Sel yet, and my whole tangent here is a moot point.

28 minutes ago, The alertArchitect said:

The only possible problem I can see with this theory is how he could get investiture from the shards that were shattered on Sel... Maybe a seon or something that's been Forged? I don't recall him having anything like that when we see him, though I may just be forgetting something. Or maybe he just hasn't grabbed any bits of investiture from Sel yet, and my whole tangent here is a moot point.

The Elantris 10th Anniversary edition had a scene with him, relatively early in his career, apparently attempting to become an Elantrian (in the company of a Skaze).

Attempt failed. No word if he's made any better progress since then.

How have I never thought of this? I would say it's extremely likely. Hoid is... well, it's hard to say what his motivations are. Okay, impossible. But he seems like a good guy, or at least not directly evil, and he seems to like Kaladin, so he's okay in my book. Anyway, after rereading MSH, it looks like greed and/or power were the motivations of the original shatterers (new technical term), and thusly it was not a widely desired outcome. However, this is countered by the fact that, for the most part, the original shard holders seem like good people. It's all very odd. The reason I'm bringing this up is because, if Hoid is motivated by good, this could lead him to restore Adonalsium because that's how he believes it should be. However again, this is speculative. He could, as suggested above, be trying to "become" adonalsium by holding all the shards. If this is the case, though, he's not doing a great job of it. One would think he would've played a larger part in the combining of Preservation and Ruin if this was the case, perhaps taking the Shards for himself somehow. Before answering this, we need to A) know Hoid's motivations, and B ) find out what the context was for the shattering. Was it a minority group, or a society-supported movement? Did the public at large even know about it? RAFO I suppose....

I think people from Yoden (humanoid and/or not) killed Adonalsium and parted the resulting Shards among them. Hoid is trying to interfere in the fight against Rayse.. And he's accumulating bits of Investiture from all the planets, then all the Shards, to "have a say" in the matter and... maybe trying to re-compose Adonalsium.

For all the greed he displays, he made an oath to be where there's need for help (only for the Stormlight Archive, think about what he's done for Dalinar - he first mentioned Adonalsium to him, Kaladin, Shallan etc). So... I don't think he wants all this power for himself, and the Invested bits work differently on another planet, under another type of Investiture.

It always sounded like the Shattering was a controlled event to me. I'm assuming the letters in OB were meant for Hoid, and, if so, he declined to pick up a Shard. This makes me think two things could potentially explain his motivation ... 1. Hoid is just a really good guy and doesn't believe he is worthy...he's a decent guy, but he's no angel. Or 2. Hoid didn't like how the Shattering went down. Holding a Shard would change his actions and quest, i.e. If he held a Shard he would forget about pursuing whatever it is he's pursuing now. He knew that and avoided picking up a Shard. 

I imagine Hoid and the Shatterers were present at the Shattering because they knew it was coming. Doesn't mean they knew 16 of them would become gods by picking up Shards. Could've been the intent of those people being at the Shattering was to contain it and find a way to put Aldonalasium together again. But the unexpected existence of Shards that could be picked up, ruined that plan. 16 people snagged Shards picked them up and took off. Perhaps Hoid is the only one trying to carry out the original ShAtterers intent...contain and reunite.

• Chaos locked this topic