[OB] A Theory on Odium's champion

Staphylococcus

On 09.11.2017 at 4:47 PM, Staphylococcus said:

See, this is exactly why I don't think it refers to Dalinar/Gavilar/Navani - because then it'd end up like this and that just doesn't seem like something Brandon would do. (And I think Shallan likes Adolin too much for it to be like this and also that Adolin is nothing like Gavilar.)

I think it's clear from the text that she likes his smile, hair and appearance. Not personality. It's not a deep love of related souls.

15 hours ago, Starla said:

As @muco mentioned above, I don't see Kaladin turning against humanity. Just because he can empathize with non-voidform parshmen/former slaves, doesn't mean that he'll stop protecting and empathizing with his own species. This would include turning his back on his parents and little brother, his fellow bridgemen, Dalinar and family, and everyone else he has worked so hard to protect. I think he'd be a poor champion for Odium if he is expected to harm anyone aside from full-on voidbringers.

I don't see any of these four characters being Odium's Champion, nor Adolin or any other secondary character. I think the champion will be a voidbringer, unmade, spren, or other non-human entity. There was a reference in the early chapters that made me think this, but I have forgotten it now. :ph34r: I plan to reread the chapters over the weekend and will look for the clues I picked up the first time.

I agree 100%. I don't think any of the four will be Odium's champion. Szeth frankly because it seems sooooo obvious (he has literally been referred to as The One Who Hates) and we all know how Brandon likes his twists. He rarely goes the "obvious" route. Dalinar because as has been mentioned it would fly in the face of his arc. Shallan because I just don't see it. Even when she thought Amaram killed her brother she didn't seem to be able to sustain true hate for him. It would just come completely out of nowhere, character-wise. Adolin because WoB indicates his role was expanded after seeing how well he worked in WoR. We know the Stormlight Archives have been outlined for a while. Presumably that includes the Champion, and it seems unlikely an intended side character gets promoted to Big Bad.

Honestly Kaladin makes the most sense of those characters. WoB have stated that clues to the SA conclusion can be found from the first book. And since the first book, Kaladin's inability to stop caring has been a major character point. This spirals into depression at times (when he can't protect people), but it also spirals into hatred. Of the main protagonists, only Kaladin has consistently demonstrated profound hatred of any particular group. Yes, it is righteous hatred, hatred of how unfair the world is, etc... But it is still hatred. And I can understand how people could see that be used against him or morph into a kind of furious nihilism, sort of like what happened to Szeth. Especially given the recent hints at a moral rift between him and Syl. I personally don't think that will happen, but I can understand where others are coming from who see that as a possibility. 

Personally I think it will be Eshonai, who has been set up as a tragic villain. But that's just wild speculation. 

8 hours ago, Staphylococcus said:

Yes, this is basically what I thought by Odium manipulating him - I think Odium would tell him something like this. But wouldn't leave after shattering Cultivation.

Why wouldn't Odium leave? As far as I can tell, he has no interest in the people of a system, only the Shards. He has been trapped in Roshar for thousands of years, a new double Shard has shown up, etc. etc. He has work to do haha

22 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Why wouldn't Odium leave? As far as I can tell, he has no interest in the people of a system, only the Shards. He has been trapped in Roshar for thousands of years, a new double Shard has shown up, etc. etc. He has work to do haha

Because he hates the people who trapped him, who thwarted him. Also, let's not forget that Cultivation is still around.

22 minutes ago, Salkara said:

Because he hates the people who trapped him, who thwarted him. Also, let's not forget that Cultivation is still around.

The theory is that once Cultivation is shattered  Odium wouldn't waste time on Roshar. In other systems where he has shattered Shards he, as far as we know, did not attack the inhabitants. 

Just now, CaptainRyan said:

The theory is that once Cultivation is shattered  Odium wouldn't waste time on Roshar. In other systems where he has shattered Shards he, as far as we know, did not attack the inhabitants. 

The other systems, as far as we know, also didn't assist with trapping him and keeping him trapped. I'll bet he really hates the humans on Roshar.

3 minutes ago, Salkara said:

The other systems, as far as we know, also didn't assist with trapping him and keeping him trapped. I'll bet he really hates the humans on Roshar.

While that certainly is possible, the people on Roshar, as far as we know, seem to be, basically, pawns. They know nothing of Odium and merely try to survive the Desolations. 

I am quite interested to see how Odium was trapped and how much people, throughout the ages, knew of what was happening. One slightly darker theory I have is that Honor volunteered the people of Roshar without their knowledge or consent. 

Either way, I think it is entirely possible that once Odium is free he will leave Roshar without another thought for the inhabitants. He has bigger fish to fry and is way behind schedule. 

6 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

While that certainly is possible, the people on Roshar, as far as we know, seem to be, basically, pawns. They know nothing of Odium and merely try to survive the Desolations.

From what we know, Odium doesn't seem like the most reasonable of entities. I mean, he's killed several Shards without any provocation. I don't think he'll be very empathetic to a "we just want to live" argument.

3 minutes ago, Salkara said:

From what we know, Odium doesn't seem like the most reasonable of entities. I mean, he's killed several Shards without any provocation. I don't think he'll be very empathetic to a "we just want to live" argument.

I guess we might just see Odium's goals/motivations a bit differently. I don't think Odium cares one bit about the people of Roshar. I wonder if he even notices "mortals" anymore. My thought is not that Odium is sympathetic to humanoids but that he a] does not care about them and b] is 100% focused on taking down the other Shards and is not going to waste a single moment attacking mortals when he needs to be focused on taking out the new big, bad double Shard. 

• Chaos locked this topic