Arcanum, the Brandon Sanderson Archive, Is Here!

WeiryWriter

I just wanted to quickly say for a moment how awesome all the Arcanists are. They spent MANY hours and evenings going through plenty of audio, hunting down random things on Twitter and Reddit. They are really the rock stars. They are also rock stars for dealing with me being a grumpy manager and pestering them about tasks :)

The Shadowdays of finding WoBs and researching are done, friends. We did it. This changes everything.

This is so surreal to me, because I obviously wanted a system like this for so long. There's nothing on the internet quite like this system, to my knowledge, so designing how it should function, along with its look-and-feel, was terrifying. It's brand-new! 

This is also the largest project 17th Shard has ever done, to code something from the ground-up. It's crazy. Not only was coding intense, but on the input side of things, we basically redid all of Theoryland. How crazy is that? It's finally here for you to see and browse, and it will be around for the duration of the fandom, I assure you. 

There's still a lot to do. I'll be posting an Upcoming Features topic pretty soon, explaining what we still have left to do. We'll be very open about everything with Arcanum.

But it's here, in time for Oathbringer, and that's incredible.

Special thanks to Mestiv, who is the true hero. Without him, this would not exist. He changed this entire project and coded this all. What a boss. He's also the nicest guy ever (second to, I think, Brandon Sanderson himself), so you should pour a ton of adoration his way. He got all this audio stuff working. It's incredible.

I hope you like it <3

I'd like to step in to raise some toasts here. Quite a few people contributed significant amounts of time to this...masterpiece of Cosmerology. I feel like it's dominated my minimal spare time for a while but I was a later and lesser contributor (and helping was something I was both honored and duty-bound to do given my WoBsession). Sharders we all know and love like Jofwu, Kurkistan, Windrunner, Calderis, Blightsong, Oversleep. Particular praise to Pagerunner and Argent for their outsized contributions. Unsurprisingly Chaos is magnificent, delegating like a demon and pulling endless long nights, working on this thing long, long before I was even a member of this site. (And my involvement with this is recent so forgive me if I've under-credited people). I may have contributed a bit but I'll get so much more out of Arcanum than I could ever give to it. Many of you know my WoBsession and this transforms the ability to gain a black belt in WoBfu.

But my endless thanks for truly making this Wonderland of WoBs happen go to two people. Firstly, Mestiv. The Codebringer. He has done so much in making this dream happen. I don't speak code but I understand what he's done is not easy and I know the results are beautiful. He has enabled our addiction. And, this cannot be emphasised enough - he's not even a WoB fiend. He did this for the community, for you. What a guy.

But my endless gratitude, admiration and love are for Weiry. the Master of WoBs, a guy I looked up to even before I realized the scope of this and his part in it. He made this happen. Since long before i was a member of this site he plotted and planned, and of course WoBbed. He put in the work. He had the vision. This was his Citizen Kane. For years and years from now, when you can learn the Cosmere more easily, you have Weiry to thank. He's my hero, and he'd better be your storming hero too.

So go! WoB like you've never WoBbed before. Browse over seven THOUSAND WoBs, many never before seen, with full sources. If you've ever wondered where that WoB is you swear you remember, it's here. If you've ever wondered about Brandon's intonation in that doubtful WoB, or wanted to hear his hilarious reaction to bizarre theories, the audio snippet awaits. If you're obsessed with a particular topic and want to research it, it's one search away. 

So go! Enjoy the labor of love of many, inspired by one. Soak it up.

So go! Dance with the WoBs.
Edited by Extesian

Something I have been working for a quite time now:

I long for the days of uninterrupted WoB digging. 

The age before Admins abandoned the lore and moderators turned against us. A time when there was still Hoid unknown and WoBs in the hearts of Sharders.

The WoBs became ours and we lost it. Nothing, it appears, is more challenging to the knowledge of men than administration itself.  Or was that knowledge an illusion all along? Did Brandon realize that the harder he tried to obfuscate, the deeper we dug? Perhaps he saw that the mystery and the unknown only make for a better grade of Sharder. But give away the knowledge long enough, and digging will eventually fade away. 

There are four whom we watch. The first are the programmers, forced to put aside free time to become project developers in the most brutal transition of WoBs in our time. The second are the Arcanists, the transcribers whose bad audio makes them weep as they work. The third are the admins who wear a project manager’s mantle over the heart of a beta reader. The last are the theoretists whose eyes opened to past WoBs as their thirst for theorizing wanes.

The WoB Archive can change. Researching and Theorizing can return; the WoBs of ancient days can become ours again. These four kinds of people are key. 

One of them may enlighten us. 

And one of them will destroy us.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Arcanum is absolutely awesome thanks for all those that have spent so much time working on it! One request if I may. Is there anyway to add a sort feature when searching a tag? For instance sort by date? It would be helpful to be able to list WoB by most recent when searching a particular topic. 

5 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

The new Arcanum is absolutely awesome thanks for all those that have spent so much time working on it! One request if I may. Is there anyway to add a sort feature when searching a tag? For instance sort by date? It would be helpful to be able to list WoB by most recent when searching a particular topic. 

It is planned. You'll see it around New Year I hope.

Question: what defines a "needs attention" tag? I saw this

#1 Edit Share
Play/PaThuse

Questioner

Can Hoid change how he looks?

Brandon Sanderson

He has various methods of changing how he looks.

This doesn't seem like it needs attention. Is there something I'm not seeing?

On 12/12/2017 at 11:40 AM, Ookla the maladroit said:

Question: what defines a "needs attention" tag? I saw this

This doesn't seem like it needs attention. Is there something I'm not seeing?

I'm not sure why that one does, but just as a note, when copying, just start at the first speaker's name. Don't copy the buttons at the top because it garbles things as shown. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm not sure why that one does, but just as a note, when copying, just start at the first speaker's name. Don't copy the buttons at the top because it garbles things as shown. 

Okay! Should I edit this tag, or leave that to the arcanists? The issue with this tag is when I try to edit entries, I just search for the need attention tag and edit all those. It's a bit confusing when ones like these are included.

3 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

Okay! Should I edit this tag, or leave that to the arcanists? The issue with this tag is when I try to edit entries, I just search for the need attention tag and edit all those. It's a bit confusing when ones like these are included.

Go ahead and edit out the tag. If there is legitimately no need for it then it should be removed.

• 2 months later...

As the official WoJ (Jim Butcher) “Guru” I’m totally jealous of the tool you guys have created here.  

I could never live up to the standard you guys have set!  This is an absolutely amazing resource, and I’m probably one of the people who best understands some sliver of the dedication and hard work it took (sliver because I haven’t even dabbled in the massive coding effort you guys have done here)

so amazed 

Edited by Serack

22 minutes ago, Serack said:

As the official WoJ (Jim Butcher) “Guru” I’m totally jealous of the tool you guys have created here.  

I could never live up to the standard you guys have set!  This is an absolutely amazing resource, and I’m probably one of the people who best understands some sliver of the dedication and hard work it took (sliver because I haven’t even dabbled in the massive coding effort you guys have done here)

so amazed 

Serack,

Thanks for the kind words. The software will be open source soonish and you could install it yourself :) 

1 hour ago, Serack said:

Oooh.

It's nice to know something like this exists. I hope that when Palanaeum goes open source you'll make your own counterpart to Arcanum :)

(I've poked a bit around reading WoJs but I only read up to White Night so I decided to avoid spoiling myself)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 2:42 PM, StormingTexan said:

Just want to say thanks to the folks transcribing these! I am literally hitting refresh every few minutes on the Orem signing. 

You know what's going to make the process go faster? :rolleyes:

• Mestiv unpinned this topic