Corrections to WoBs

Pagerunner

18 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@BeskarKomrk, @Ravioli (I trust your word on that stuff!) and @xxcyv - fixed.

Please, give me a link. Either someone ninja'd me or my page search is failing me.

It's the one right after mine. It's not attributed, I'm just saying I know who it was, but it doesn't need to be. It was supposed to be funny. 

This is a little nitpick but I'll put it here anyway. Just a typo from the original transcript.

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/123-sofia-signing/#e3293

Original Text:

dragonssleepinfire

In Words of Radience

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

After Eshonai bonds the storm spren, she starts hearing this screaming voice in her head.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

Is that her voice?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, um… It is a combination of her voice and something that is happening with Roshar, and at the end of the next book you’ll get a big clue.

Revised Text:

dragonssleepinfire

In Words of Radiance

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

After Eshonai bonds the storm spren, she starts hearing this screaming voice in her head.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

Is that her voice?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, um… It is a combination of her voice and something that is happening with Roshar, and at the end of the next book you’ll get a big clue.

Sorry to double post, but here's another one where the Questioner is mislabeled as Brandon (he writes so fast he even writes questions for himself!).

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/122-leipzig-book-fair/#e3312

Original Text:

Questioner

Is Endowment agreeable with the Nalthesian using her gift to feed the Returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

What with the deaths of Denth, Shashara and Arsteel - I can't see them giving their Divine Breath away. Isn't this the reason why they return?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, obviously.

Revised Text:

Questioner

Is Endowment agreeable with the Nalthesian using her gift to feed the Returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

What with the deaths of Denth, Shashara and Arsteel - I can't see them giving their Divine Breath away. Isn't this the reason why they return?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, obviously.

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/127-salt-lake-city-comiccon-2017/#e5109

Questioner

Do you purposefully take ideas from the Book of Mormon and turn them inside out, on their head, so no one knows where you go the ideas from? Like when you have Kelsier saying, in this moment, and he defeats the Lord Ruler, just Ruler's top of the city, and like how in the Book of Mormon when the La-āmanites, associate with Zaraellmə-ī, because no one else can see it coming?

Correction:

Questioner

My friend wanted me to ask: Do you purposefully take ideas from the Book of Mormon and turn them inside out, on their head, so no one knows where you got the ideas from? Like when you have Kelsier saying, in this moment, he will defeat the Lord Ruler in the Lord Ruler's capital city, and like how in the Book of Mormon when the Lamanites besieged Zarahemla, because no one else can see it coming?

(Major respect to the transcribers. I knew some of the names were wrong here, but this audio was almost impossible to hear the questioner at all!)

Edited by lyht

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/4/#e4841

Existing Text:

Questioner

I'm doing video game design, and I'm curious: what are your thoughts on constructing interesting stories, because we're kind of getting to a point where video games are able to tell... like, people are getting game systems with, basically, interactivity being a medium which tells stories. I'm curious, from having spent some time developing your craft, how to link that in with being forced to have the 'main character' <inaudible>?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, I think there are are so many cool demos of people who are doing it, but I'm not sure I can point out and say "This is the right way." I know that my favorite stories from video games tend to be ones where they force you to experience the story without forcing you to stop the game. Things like in <inaudible> where you're riding from position to position, you're on the phone with people. Or things like Dark Souls, where you kinda just feel it all around you. I don't like games where they stop. And play a cutscene.

Questioner

Where it takes you out of the game, and it's like, 'movie time.'

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I think there's <inaudible> I really like something about the form of the game. It enhances the story. Like how <inaudible> was with <inaudible>, stuff like that.

Revised Text:

Questioner

I'm doing video game design, and I'm curious: what are your thoughts on constructing interesting stories, because we're kind of getting to a point where video games are able to tell... like, people are getting used to, basically, interactivity being a medium with which to tell a story. I'm curious, from having spent some time developing your craft, how to link that in with being forced to have the 'main character' [do that more often sorts?]?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, I think there are so many cool different ways that people are doing it, that I'm not sure I can point out and say that "This is the right way." I know that my favorite stories from video games tend to be ones where they force you to experience the story without forcing you to stop the game, if that makes sense. Things like in InFamous where you're running from position to position, you're on the phone with people. Or things like Dark Souls, where you kinda just reveal it all around you. I don't like the games where they stop. And play a cutscene.

Questioner

Where it takes you out of the game, and it's like, 'movie time.'

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I think there's a way beyond doing that. I also really like it when something about the form of the game enhances the story. Like how Braid was with the guy who could rewind time to move stuff back, stuff like that. There’s all sorts of cool things happening, VR’s only going to make that more interesting.

Edited by BlackYeti
Word order mixed up.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/290-ancient-lunch-qa/

I reviewed this one and its source in their respective entireties (very short :D)  and it appears to be correct so you can strike the needs review tag.

New Tag: Mistborn

I don't as a rule tag much so I don't know how specific you want to be with tagging. There were two questions about piercing copperclouds, one about whether twins would both be Mistborn and one about how you address an Inquisitor.

edit: also was one about what a lynchpin spike is made of which was RAFO'd

Edited by Mulk

35 minutes ago, Mulk said:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/290-ancient-lunch-qa/

I reviewed this one and its source in their respective entireties (very short :D)  and it appears to be correct so you can strike the needs review tag.

New Tag: Mistborn

I don't as a rule tag much so I don't know how specific you want to be with tagging. There were two questions about piercing copperclouds, one about whether twins would both be Mistborn and one about how you address an Inquisitor.

edit: also was one about what a lynchpin spike is made of which was RAFO'd

You don't need to worry about tag edits; these will be reviewed by Weiry. That's the "needs reviewed" text, internal to our process generally. We would tag that with Allomancy, not Mistborn. Don't worry about tags right now.

26 minutes ago, Mulk said:

since this is a sort of sequential correction page...should I post different WoB's in different posts?

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/294-17th-shard-interview/

Completely blank this one is.  I'd be happy to transcribe if you want.

Ignore blank events for now. That one in particular has a transcription and we haven't inputted that stuff pre-2014.

Super honored to find one of my signed book questions on the Arcanum under the general signed books (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/139-general-signed-books-2017/)

I want to add some context to the question - there had been extremely limited character space to be able to ask questions.  I had intended to ask about whether or not super magnets would be have an effect on metalminds and/or metal reserves in metalborn, from the point of view of security.  IE: If part of my security was to say have a checkpoint with an electromagnet (Modern or Sci-Fi era Mistborn) would that have an effect?

Do to the space constraint, I asked: "Do powerful magnets affect metalminds or metal reserves in metalborn?"

This could be interpreted as intednded, or it could be interpreted as "Would using a magnetically charged metal, like iron as an example, as a metal reserve or a metalmind have an effect on the Allomantic or Feruchemical properties of the metal?"  Which is a very different question.

I don't know how Brandon interpreted the question, but his answer is vague enough to be able to fit both options.

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

Super honored to find one of my signed book questions on the Arcanum under the general signed books (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/139-general-signed-books-2017/)

I want to add some context to the question - there had been extremely limited character space to be able to ask questions.  I had intended to ask about whether or not super magnets would be have an effect on metalminds and/or metal reserves in metalborn, from the point of view of security.  IE: If part of my security was to say have a checkpoint with an electromagnet (Modern or Sci-Fi era Mistborn) would that have an effect?

Do to the space constraint, I asked: "Do powerful magnets affect metalminds or metal reserves in metalborn?"

This could be interpreted as intednded, or it could be interpreted as "Would using a magnetically charged metal, like iron as an example, as a metal reserve or a metalmind have an effect on the Allomantic or Feruchemical properties of the metal?"  Which is a very different question.

I don't know how Brandon interpreted the question, but his answer is vague enough to be able to fit both options.

Sadly I don't think Brandon's developed psychic powers just yet, so if "Do powerful magnets affect metalminds or metal reserves in metalborn?" was the whole text of your question then that's all Brandon had to go off of, so that's the only thing that's appropriate to put in Arcanum.

7 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

Sadly I don't think Brandon's developed psychic powers just yet, so if "Do powerful magnets affect metalminds or metal reserves in metalborn?" was the whole text of your question then that's all Brandon had to go off of, so that's the only thing that's appropriate to put in Arcanum.

Agreed, completely.  I just wanted to point out the potential interpretations of the question and response.  Thankfully, for Oathbringer, there was a lot more character space to with which to word a question.

7 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I found a tweet from Peter that is not in Arcanum. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/595027918159413249

Not all Words of Dragonsteel (ayy, I made up a term!) make it to Arcanum. This particular one is not very relevant, as the White Sand graphic novel is already out.

10 minutes ago, yurisses said:

I was looking for a WoB on Skycolors and failed to find it on Arcanum. Here is the source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/7cazjx/megathread_oathbringer_by_brandon_sanderson/

There are no posts from Brandon in what you just linked as far as I can tell. Please directly link to the Reddit post using the Permalink button. 

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/219-words-of-radiance-philadelphia-signing/#e7848

Existing Text:

Questioner

What Jasnah did, in the first book, with Shallan in the alleyway and what happened at the end of this book... between Adolin and the other character [Sadeas]. Would you put them on the same level? Or would you say that what Adolin did was maybe a little bit darker?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say that what Adolin did was less dark, personally... It just depends on your perspective, but personally I say what Adolin did was something that needed to be done and no one else was capable of doing.

Questioner

Would you say that it's going to have any ramifications for him down the line? With how it was handled?

Oh it's definitely—how it's handled, definitely there are ramifications, lots of ramifications. And there are certain characters who would think that what he did is totally, totally, totally wrong.

Revised Text:

Questioner

What Jasnah did, in the first book, with Shallan in the alleyway and what happened at the end of this book... between Adolin and the other character [Sadeas]. Would you put them on the same level? Or would you say that what Adolin did was maybe a little bit darker?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say that what Adolin did was less dark, personally... It just depends on your perspective, but personally I say what Adolin did was something that needed to be done and no one else was capable of doing.

Questioner

Would you say that it's going to have any ramifications for him down the line? With how it was handled?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh it's definitely—how it's handled, definitely there are ramifications, lots of ramifications. And there are certain characters who would think that what he did is totally, totally, totally wrong.

was reading through this WoB and noted a few items. It's not complete, but it's all I have time for right now

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/36-arcanum-unbounded-chicago-signing/#e1551

Questioner

You mentioned RPGs, what's your favorite RPG?

Brandon Sanderson

Final Fantasy X *audience cheers* I love that one. Like a lot of the Final Fantasies didn't make any since, and it's okay that they don't make any sense, but that one actually really made sense to me and it really worked. I like that they have-- Like it has a character who's not dark and broody? *laughter* For the first time ever? It's kind of a jock. He's just-- He's just a happy-go-lucky jock who gets caught up in saving the world and it was such a fresh-- Fresh of breath air? It was such a fresh of breath air. *laughter* But yeah. Pen and paper, I grew up playing the Palladium. A lot of Palladium, so TMNT was my introduction to pen and paper rpgs.

corrected:

Questioner

You mentioned RPGs, what's your favorite RPG?

Brandon Sanderson

Final Fantasy X *audience cheers* I love that one. Like a lot of the Final Fantasies didn't make any sense, and it's okay that they don't make any sense, but that one actually really made sense to me and it really worked. I like that they have-- Like it has a character who's not dark and broody? *laughter* For the first time ever? It's kind of a jock. He's just-- He's just a happy-go-lucky jock who gets caught up in saving the world and it was such a fresh-- Fresh of breath air? It was such a fresh of breath air. *laughter* But yeah. Pen and paper, I grew up playing the Palladium. A lot of Palladium, so TMNT was my introduction to pen and paper rpgs.

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight 3 will be next November. I had a meeting with the Tor people, and that's what we're planning. Tentatively [Stormlight] 3 next year, Rithmatist sequel, the following year, Wax & Wayne the following year, and then the next Stormlight. That is our plan. Hopefully new Stormlight can come a little faster than that, but what I've found is the outlines for Stormlight books take like a year to build, eventhough like-- When I do this outline process I do like the first book and then I outline each one with a couple pages? And then it takes forever to build this outline because I write Stormlight books as a trilogy, each novel is a trilogy, that I then interweave and release as one volume. And then there's a short story collection in there too, with the interludes and things. So it's a complex process. So I'm hoping, but I'm not going to promise them faster than one every three years, I just can't. They're too big and the way my process works, once I finish something I need to leave that alone for a while and try something else. And originally I'm like "Every 18 months, I can do that!" I can't do that. It's the travel and everything and whatnot. So we're going to do that. So we're going to do Stormlight, Rithmatist, Wax & Wayne-- last Wax & Wayne book, and then Stormlight-- the next Stormlight. That is our plan right now. I will also be doing another YA series to follow-up The Reckoners, for those who like those.

corrected:

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight 3 will be next November. I had a meeting with the Tor people, and that's what we're planning. Tentatively [Stormlight] 3 next year, Rithmatist sequel, the following year, Wax & Wayne the following year, and then the next Stormlight. That is our plan. Hopefully new Stormlight can come a little faster than that, but what I've found is the outlines for Stormlight books take like a year to build, even though like-- When I do this outline process I do like the first book and then I outline each one with a couple pages? And then it takes forever to build this outline because I write Stormlight books as a trilogy, each novel is a trilogy, that I then interweave and release as one volume. And then there's a short story collection in there too, with the interludes and things. So it's a complex process. So I'm hoping, but I'm not going to promise them faster than one every three years, I just can't. They're too big and the way my process works, once I finish something I need to leave that alone for a while and try something else. And originally I'm like "Every 18 months, I can do that!" I can't do that. It's the travel and everything and whatnot. So we're going to do that. So we're going to do Stormlight, Rithmatist, Wax & Wayne-- last Wax & Wayne book, and then Stormlight-- the next Stormlight. That is our plan right now. I will also be doing another YA series to follow-up The Reckoners, for those who like those.

Play/PauQuestioner

Are there any specific choices that you've made in the story of the books that years later you go "Ah man, I wish I had done--"

Brandon Sanderson

Oh yeah, what a great question. Are there any things that i've done in my books that I've regretted. Like I'm like "Oh I should have done this" or things, many years later. There's basically one for every book. Or two, or multiples. *laughter* One of the big ones is, at the end of Mistborn Vin draws on the mists... which is something I'd been planning to do in Book 2, and then I wrote Book 1 and did all my outlines and things and my editor got back to me on Book 1, "Could we add more pow, more punch to the end of this book?" and I'm like "Yeah we can do this thing I was going to do in Book 2". But then it didn't feel foreshadowed to me. After I put it in and released the book, I was looking through it again like "This doesn't have enough foreshadoing." And this is where I developed Sanderson's First Law. I was "I did something wrong in this book." It's lack of proper foreshadowing on how the magic works. So there's that. There's all sorts of things, like at the end of Words of Radiance I had a character kill another character in a situation where I don't think he should have. He should have just let the character die to the environment or something like that. And so I actually tweaked that between hardcover and paperback. I'm not sure if I should have done that. I wanted to try it out and see. But yeah, every book.

Most of the time you just have to let it go, right? Elsa. You have to Elsa it. Because otherwise-- Was it daVinci? "Good art is never finished it is only abandoned" right? Or just art, "Art is never finished only it is only abandoned". You've got to learn to just to let things go and let them be canon. And it's actually very-- I've found that readers are more forgiving of these things than the author thinks they will be. They're like "We like seeing early books, and the fact that you hadn't learned to do some of these things quite right yet. It's an aspect, a fun part of the writing". But yeah, basically every book that I wish. I wish, for instance, in Mistborn, that I had made Ham a woman. I was so focused on Strong. Female. Protagonist. that I forgot half the population are women. *laughter* And like years later I look back, I'm like "Ennnnhhhh... The whole team--" I do have Vin, who turned out really well, and Tindwyl in the next book. But in the first book you're like "Are there any women in this world? It's basically all dudes". So this happens to a lot of new writers, and if you guys are new writers, don't stress it too much. You're going to make mistakes. When they become obvious to you, just realize you're in a process. That's how you learn. You come up with goofy things like Sanderson's Laws to explain stupid stuff you've done to help yourself not do it in the future.

corrected:

Play/PauQuestioner

Are there any specific choices that you've made in the story of the books that years later you go "Ah man, I wish I had done--"

Brandon Sanderson

Oh yeah, what a great question. Are there any things that i've done in my books that I've regretted. Like I'm like "Oh I should have done this" or things, many years later. There's basically one for every book. Or two, or multiples. *laughter* One of the big ones is, at the end of Mistborn Vin draws on the mists...I'm trying to avoid spoilers for this... which is something I'd been planning to do in Book 2, and then I wrote Book 1 and did all my outlines and things and my editor got back to me on Book 1, "Could we add more pow, more punch to the end of this book?" and I'm like "Yeah we can do this thing I was going to do in Book 2". But then it didn't feel foreshadowed to me. After I put it in and released the book, I was looking through it again like "This doesn't have enough foreshadowing." And this is where I developed Sanderson's First Law. I was "I did something wrong in this book." Its lack of proper foreshadowing on how the magic works. So there's that. There's all sorts of things, like at the end of Words of Radiance I had a character kill another character in a situation where I don't think he should have. He should have just let the character die to the environment or something like that. And so I actually tweaked that between hardcover and paperback. I'm not sure if I should have done that. I wanted to try it out and see. But yeah, every book.

Most of the time you just have to let it go, right? Elsa. You have to Elsa it. Because otherwise-- Was it daVinci? "Good art is never finished it is only abandoned" right? Or just art, "Art is never finished only it is only abandoned". You've got to learn to just to let things go and let them be canon. And it's actually very-- I've found that readers are more forgiving of these things than the author thinks they will be. They're like "We like seeing early books, and the fact that you hadn't learned to do some of these things quite right yet. It's an aspect, a fun part of the writing". But yeah, basically every book that I wish. I wish, for instance, in Mistborn, that I had made Ham a woman. I was so focused on Strong. Female. Protagonist. that I forgot half the population are women. *laughter* And like years later I look back, I'm like "Ennnnhhhh... The whole team--" I do have Vin, who turned out really well, and Tindwyl in the next book. But in the first book you're like "Are there any women in this world? It's basically all dudes". So this happens to a lot of new writers, and if you guys are new writers, don't stress it too much. You're going to make mistakes. When they become obvious to you, just realize you're in a process. That's how you learn. You come up with goofy things like Sanderson's Laws to explain stupid stuff you've done to help yourself not do it in the future.